Waiting

Innocence

 

Lee Jaejin spent his whole life waiting.

 

 

He waited to grow up.  He waited to go to school.  He waited to find a friend.  He waited for the bus in the morning and he waited on the bus to get home in the evening.  He waited for his crush to notice him.  He waited.

 

 

And to this day, he still hasn’t stopped waiting.  In fact, he felt like something important was going to happen, so he waited even more than usual, waiting for that something to happen.  He was not a Loner, but he had no friends.  The others didn’t or bother him, but they ignored him and gave him space as he walked by like he was going to bite or something.

 

 

It wasn't like the Waiting bit.  They could if they wanted to, but in general they didn't feel the need to sink their teeth into the flesh of another human being.

 

 

Sure, Jaejin was a little weird.  The other students referred to him as a goat when he wasn't there to hear, and they thought he was strange because of the way he would always stare blankly into the distance and notice absolutely nothing for a good five to ten minutes.

 

 

But Jaejin's mind was very different from his outward appearance.  He knew what he was waiting for, he just wasn't sure who he was waiting for.

 

 

Jaejin had, at one point in time, gotten sick of waiting.  That was a disaster.

 

 

You see, when someone decides to stray from their labeled path, unexplained events happen, often bad.

 

 

In Jaejin's case, there was an explosion of chemicals while doing an experiment in science class.  He turned his back to wash the toxic liquids off and suddenly the solution behind him exploded.  He ended up with shards of glass embedded in his back as well as his flesh being slightly eaten by the acidic toxin, and a slight stab wound in his leg because he had a pencil in his pocket.  It was a close call, but they were able to clean out his wounds before the chemicals could spread too far into them, and if they hadn't then Jaejin would no longer be a part of this world.

 

 

He knew his place, and his place was Waiting.