[EXO] Baekhyun/D.O.

All the Kpop Oneshots

how can my heart ache (when you've stolen it?)

By: mayangel

Rating: PG-13

Word Count: 500

Pairings: Baekhyun/D.O.

Warnings: alcohol and cuss words. Also, I was too lazy to figure out which words of the title should be capitalized, so DEAL

 

They were just friends. Best friends, if you were into the sentimentality that makes Kyungsoo roll his eyes.

 

“We’re going to get married and live the rest of our lives together,” Baekhyun proclaims, raising his glass in a sloppy toast. “Here, ganbei.”

 

Across the table, Luhan and Yixing share a proud smile. Usually, Baekhyun would consider them scheming devils, but today, he’s thanking them and their kind for inventing the tradition that allows him to drown glass after glass of alcohol.

 

“Ganbei,” Luhan agrees enthusiastically, while Yixing just spins his empty glass on the table. He could probably drink them all under the table if he wanted to, but today, he’s playing the Voice of Reason.

 

“Want some?” Baekhyun pushes the cheap bottle of soju at Yixing.

 

“Kyungsoo’s going to be here soon.” Yixing takes the bottle out of Baekhyun’s reach and glances down at his phone. No doubt he’s telling Kyungsoo that Byun Baekhyun is drunk off his and needs your help walking back home. Also, bring him a ing stroller next time. (Minus all of the inappropriate language, of course.)

 

“Kyungsoo?” Baekhyun laughs, and even he’s surprised by how bitter it sounds. “Kyungsoo is…” Home. Soft smiles and stern looks. Warm heart and sharp temper. Summer night stars and winter snowflakes. “He’s the love of my life. He’d better be here.”

 

Yixing and Luhan share a concerned look, but Baekhyun doesn’t pay them any mind. He’s too occupied with his glass of soju and the small hand that’s gently tapping him awake.

 

“Baekhyun. Baekhyun, get up.”

 

Baekhyun looks up, blinking, and wonders if it really is possible to drink his way out of the world. “Soo?”

 

“Baekhyun, let’s go home.”

 

Kyungsoo is sweet vanilla and eye watering spices, everything that makes Baekhyun stronger and breaks him apart. He’s Baekhyun’s light into hell and out, and Baekhyun leans on him heavily as they walk out onto the streets.

 

“Soo, we’ll stay together forever, right?” Baekhyun mumbles drowsily as Kyungsoo leads him down familiar pathways.

 

“Of course,” Kyungsoo says, his answer coming so readily that Baekhyun feels a sharp pang where his heart is supposed to be, if Kyungsoo hadn’t stole it a long, long time ago. He can see Kyungsoo’s bright smile through the reflection of the glass door of the shop they pass.

 

“Best friends, right?” Baekhyun muses, tripping over the uneven step that he always trips on. And Kyungsoo, as always, is ready to catch Baekhyun before he can fall, one arm wrapping around his waist and steadying him.

 

“Of course.” The words alone should be a comfort to Baekhyun, since it’s very, very difficult to convince Kyungsoo that they’re not just friends, they’re best friends. But even that won’t be enough for Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun’s greatest fear is that he’ll be forgotten, and there’s no reason why Kyungsoo wouldn’t forget his bothersome college roommate ten years from now. And he has no way of making sure that Kyungsoo won’t forget him. After all, they’re only friends.

 

Foreword

mayangel