; The Wind of Change

Holding On
Please log in to read the full chapter

HOLDING ON Part 7

 

That day, JaeJoong forced himself to work harder than he usually did. He didn't want to allow any chances for him to be reminded of what has happened on this exact date two years ago. Everything was still fresh in his mind, but if only he could do enough work to distract himself, maybe he wouldn't be reminded of if for at least this one day.

Each time he realised that his thoughts began to divert to non-work related things, he quickly opened a new contract file to go through. He would do anything as long as he was able to not think about what that day had meant to him once upon a time.

He was too focused on not thinking about anything other than work, that he didn't even notice that it was very late into the night.

While he was immersed in his paperworks, the door to his office suddenly opened. In normal circumstance, nobody was allowed to enter his office without being accompanied by an authorised person, in other words his secretary. He was ready to give the person a piece of his mind, but paused when he saw who it is that had invaded his office space.

The person who entered was someone not worth the splutter of JaeJoong's piece of mind. She wasn't the type to listen. It would be a waste of his saliva.

"JaeJoong? Why are you still working? It's already past eleven," the lady uninvitedly allowed herself in, much to JaeJoong's displeasure.

"Jennifer, what are you doing here. Why are you still at the office at this hour?"

"Me?" Her steps towards him was seductive. She slowly made her way around the table to where JaeJoong was seated. With an arm landing on JaeJoong's chair's head-rest, she softly continued, "Wasn't you the one wanting me to stay back? Don't be shy, JaeJoong. I know you've been wanting to have the two of us alone so that we could-"

"Don't be ridiculous," JaeJoong quickly interjected. "What makes you think that? I have never done so, and I have no such intentions."

"Aww... Everyone knows who you really are, JaeJoong. Isn't it why you flew all the way to New York for? To find new challenges?"

"Excuse me?"

Her fingers started to travel to his ears, earning it a quick slap and a harsh shove away. JaeJoong stood up from his seat angrily. "I don't like to be touched unnecessarily. If you please, leave this office now."

Jennifer felt offended, but maintained her cool. She pursed her lips. "Fine. Perhaps another day."

"Stop dreaming. There won't be another day," JaeJoong told bitterly as he watched her leave.

As soon as the door closed behind the uninvited woman, JaeJoong sat back on his chair and wiped his face with his palms. He had known Jennifer's intentions ever since he first came to New York, but she hadn't been so bold up until now.

Perhaps it had been his fault as well. He had never stayed at the office this late, creating an opportunity for her to take action.

If there had been any other way to help him forget, he would gladly take the option. The problem was, he hadn't that many options. Everywhere he went, there would always be women flaunting and throwing themselves at him, sometimes forcefully. If he locked himself at home however, his loneliness would surely consume him. He'd go crazy. He pressed on the bridge of his nose to ease the flow of his thoughts.

He sighed deeply and stared at his feet unseeingly. Why does it have to be so difficult? Why did it have to end up this way? What had he done in his past life to deserve all these? Why can't he be happy just like anyone else? Why?

After a long moment of contemplating, he suddenly laughed. Did he really had to ask?

He's paying for all his sins, that's what's happening. This is the consequences of all the broken promises, the pain of the heart he had broken, the lies he had committed. He will forever be reminded of all he had done to the one he loved, the only one he will ever love. Pathethic JaeJoong, that was what he was.

Unknowingly, he reached out for his phone and swiped over the locked screen. He then stared at the image that appeared on his homepage.

His heart stirred. He knew he would never be able to let her go. Every single day he prayed, but the prayers of helping him to move on has yet again turned into prayers to soften her heart so that she would be by his side again. He realised now that he really couldn't go on without her.

He kept on staring at the picture. She was smiling so wide, so happy. It was their engagement day and she was showing off her ring. He could still remember it clearly, how he had been so happy too.

His eyes started to water. Oh... how he misses her so much. How he longed to hold her in her arms, to kiss her goodnight and make sure she was alright. What could she be doing right now? It's still daytime where she was at

Please log in to read the full chapter