; The Essence of Time

Holding On
Please log in to read the full chapter

HOLDING ON Part 5

 

 

His phone began to ring. Once. Twice.

Upon looking at the caller ID, his face instantly lit up in a smile. "Hey, baby."

"Jae, where are you?" she whined over the line. "You promised to come pick me up at six. It's nearly seven now and it's so cold."

". Yeonnie, I'm really sorry, baby. Something came up at work. But I'm on my way now, I promise. Give me ten minutes."

There was a short pause where he knew she was pouting. "Why didn't you say so you were busy. We could celebrate during the weekend instead. Maybe it's better if we-"

"No no no... It's fine. I'm already on my way. Stay where you are, okay?"

"Okay."

He made a sharp u-turn at the junction and accelerated.  Every few seconds he checked on his reflection through the rear-view mirror, to make sure that his lips didn't look swollen or caught on lipstick. He furiously wiped his lips when he saw tiny traces of gloss.

"Damn, how could I have forgotten. Of all the things to forget..." he mumbled angrily.

He glanced around the interior of his car. Clean. Good.

He took a couple more sharp turns at a dangerous speed, before slowing down as he got nearer to the coffee shop where his sweetheart had been waiting.

He wiped around his lips one more time. He then reached for his phone.

"Baby, I'm here," he told her. He then caught sight of a beautiful lady inside the shop, standing up and searching outside the window where she was sitting next to. Once she saw his Audi, she smiled so wide and started to gather her stuff.

JaeJoong's eyes followed each of her movements. His heart started to grow warmer.

No matter how many times, things just weren't enough when it comes to this beautiful lady. Every moment is grace, so precious that it's hard to believe this beautiful angel was engaged to him. After all these time of courting her, the moment she said 'yes' was still like a dream to him.

There was no way in hell he could live this life without her by his side.

"Hey," she greeted once she was inside the car. To her surprise, he quickly pulled her in and kissed her square on the lips.

"Hey, baby."

Heat crept up her cheeks.

He chuckled. "What?"

She pouted. "Nothing."

Even when she said it was nothing, he knew exactly what she means. He hid his laughter behind a smile. It was so cute to see her get teased like this.

"Stop looking at me like that," HyeoYeon pointed. "And stop making fun of me. Or else I'll step out of this car and we can forget about dinner."

His sweetheart rarely threatens, and when she does, she really means it. "Okay, okay, I apologise. But just in case you forgot, my car is tinted well enough that no one could've seen."

"But still," she interjected. "You know how I feel about PDA. You promised so please keep to it."

"I know and I'm sorry. I just feel like it's been a lifetime since I last kissed you."

She laughed at that. "You're such a sweettalker."

 

***

He drove a little bit until they arrived in front of a restaurant specially selected by her for tonight's occasion. She purposely chose somewhere quiet so that they won't be interrupted by strangers who would appear from everywhere to ask for JaeJoong's autograph and a picture together. So much for still being listed as the most eligible bachelor in the country.

She even requested to be seated in a private room just in case. They were facing each other with a lone candle in between them.

"Things like these are supposed to be prepared by the men," he chuckled. "How am I supposed to top this when it comes to your birthday?"

She laughed heartily. "Don't be silly. This is nothing. I bet you'd have much more tricks up your sleeves to impress me, with all the exper

Please log in to read the full chapter