Chapter 32 -- The Sakae48 Crisis! Ryouha's realization, chu!!

Tentomu chu!! desu~ (Dropped)

“Crisis?”

What are they talking about? Is there something going on that’s endangering Ryouha’s career?

“Please, Kitagawa-san, tell us your thoughts about this.”

“E-eto…”

“There’s a rumor going around that you could also be on the verge of leaving as well. Please confirm if this is true or not.”

“Uh… I…”

I could see in Ryouha’s eyes. She’s not used to that kind of attention, and now she’s about to panic.

I was about to step in, but then Yuria suddenly ran up and faced the reporters.

“She’s not!”

“Eh?”

“Yuria…”

“Kizaki-san, you were also formerly part of Sakae48 industries, correct?”

“What do you believe the cause for the sudden announcements of so many members leaving could be?”

“Ah~ now Yuria got dragged in!” Miki said, holding her head.

“What do we do?”

I saw something suddenly flash in front of my eyes. The next thing I heard was a loud barking.

“Eh?!” We all looked and saw a black dog, barking at the reporters. It was rather big, and didn’t stop its loud barking until the reporters finally ran off, scared.

“What was THAT?!”

“Are you okay, Ryouha?” Yuria asked.

“Un…”

The dog turned around and suddenly pounced on top of Ryouha, pushing her down.

“Ryouha-tan!”

“Are you ok--?” That’s when I noticed something. The dog’s form started to change. It turned into a girl, but still had the black dog ears and tail.

“Eh?”

“Masaka… an inugami?”

“RYOUHAAAA!!!” The tall girl hugged Ryouha’s neck, rubbing her cheek against hers. “Are you okay? Did those mean producers scare you?”

“M-Miyamae..-san?”

“Ryouha, you know her?”

“Un. She’s in Sakae48.”

“Hai! I’m Miyamae Ami! I’m Ryouha’s guardian!”

“Eh?!”

“When was that decided?!”

“Actually, a few days ago, Jurina told me…”

Flashback

“Ryouha-tan, you and Ami-chan are pillars to Sakae48’s future. Just like me and Rena-chan, the two of you will become keys to pull everyone forward. That’s why, if me and Rena-chan ever leave, the two of you will be the ones who will step up and take our place.”

End of Flashback

“Ah~ I see. Basically, since members are coming and going, the two of you are the next generation aces.”

“Un.”

“But what about the ‘guardian’ thing?”

“Hai! Juri-tan came to me yesterday and told me…”

Flashback

“Ami-wan~ This is an order as my underling. From now on, you will protect Ryouha-wan. You and her will be future leaders of Sakae48 industries, so I’ll be counting on you, wan!”

End of Flashback

“And that’s why, I’ll be sure to always, always, ALWAYS be by Ryouha’s side and protect her from any harm! Even scary, mean reporters~.”

Is it just me, or do their images of Jurina seem completely different from each other?

“Wait,” Nana spoke, “what were those reporters talking about, that there’s a crisis in Sakae48?”

“You see, recently, lots of members of Sakae48 have been leaving for different reasons. It suddenly started in 2013; we lost 18 members!”

“EH?!”

“Then, last year, 16 left!”

“And, this year…”

“Not all of them have happened yet, but… nine.”

“Eh~?”

“That is bad.”

“Ah, that reminds me,” She stood up and helped Ryouha onto her feet. “Jurina wanted you back in Sakae for another job.”

“Another one?”

“Ryouha-tan’s gotten pretty popular over there, hasn’t she?”

“Un! Let’s go!” Ami grabbed her hands and they started running off.

She forgot to hide her ears and tail…

Is Ryouha okay over there?

…..

12gatsu no! Kangaruu!
Boku no naka ni kimi ga iru!

Ami sang the song as she swung Ryouha’s hand, walking and skipping happily along the street.

Samugari na! Kangaruu!
Kimi no subete wo mamoritai!

They made it to the Sakae48 theatre, Ami’s ears still perked up and her tail wagging about. The two walked in, only to be greeted by a loud scream.

“Ami-chaaaan~~~” A familiar figure ran up and hugged the puppy’s neck. “Where were you~? You suddenly left and--”

She looked and met Ryouha’s eyes, causing them to sparkle.

“Ah~~~ It’s Ryouha-tan~~~”

“Tani..-san.”

“Oh! Is that where you went, Ami-chan? You went to get Ryouha-tan?”

“Yup.”

“Aw~~~ Whose a good puppy?” She petted Ami’s head, scratching behind her ear and making her smile widely, her eyes closed in bliss. “Whose a good puppy~? You are, Ami-chan! You are~”

“Tani!” Another familiar voice rose. Two other girls walked towards the girl.

“Why’d you run off? We were in the middle of rehearsal.”

“Sorry~ But, I sensed Ami-chan come back in. And, look! Ryouha-tan’s here, too~”

One of the girls hit her head lightly. “You always like to go your own way, huh?”

“Hehe, sorry, Suda-san.”

“Although, it’s good Miyamae-chan brought Ryouha like Jurina-san needed.” The shorter girl stood on her tiptoes and petted her head, much like Tani. “Whose a good puppy~? Miyamae-chan is~.”

Ami was giggling nonstop, simply melting at the touch as her legs went wild.

“U-um… Matsumura-san?”

“Yes?”

“Does Jurina-san… need me?”

“Oh, yes. Come with us,” The trio lead Ryouha into the main lobby.

There were two members talking, one very short with long hair, and another with short hair and a masculine face.

“Mieko-san~ Nishishi~”

“Ah, if it isn’t Miyamae-chan and Ryouha-tan,” the elder of the two spoke.

“You been doing good?”

“Un.”

“We’ve been following Tentomu chu. Keep up the good work.”

“Thank you.”

Ryouha smiled even after they left. The two of them were first generation members of the Sakae division. Just like how she admired Jurina and Sae, they were her precious seniors.

“Better take those words to heart,” Kaori spoke.

“Yup. They’ll both be gone, soon…”

“Eh?”

“Mieko and Nishishi. They’re leaving. They’re going back to Eterna.”

Ryouha looked back at Ami. She nodded.

“Wow… that’s….”

“Yeah, it’s pretty shocking, isn’t it?”

“Un.”

“But, it’s what they have to do…”

The younger girl simply nodded as they started walking again. They passed by one of the practice rooms and saw some of the kenkyuusei practicing one of the routines.

“Escape…” Ryouha recognized what song it was by the dance.

“Hold on,” the instructor stopped them. “Ogino, Sasaki, are you two okay?”

“Hai,” they replied, out of breath.

Akari pursed her lips. “They’re powers are weakening…”

“Eh..?” Ryouha saw her sad face. She looked at Ami again, who gave the same reply. “Them, too? But, they’re still trainees.”

“Yes, but…”

“They’re just not strong enough.”

The instructor spoke again, in a kind voice. “I know this may be hard for all of you. But, remember the one who helped you through all this.”

“Hai.”

“That Yamada… she was special.”

“Yamada… Mizuho.”

She actually heard about that. Mizuho had lost her powers and suddenly passed away. Jurina said she gave them up so she could protect the kenkyuusei.

“The new generation will be the ones who lead the future of Sakae48.”

“Ah, speaking of Yamada…” Tani said.

“Eh?” They looked and saw Nana down the hall, drying herself off with a towel. “Who’s talkin’ about me?”

“Hey, Nana-baba.”

“Who are ya callin’ baba?!”

“Alright, guys, stop. Nana-san, do you know where Jurina is?”

“I think she’s at the stage.”

“Thanks.” The group bowed to Nana before walking off.

“Wait, Nana-san announced she was leaving, right? Doesn’t she count as ten?”

“No, she’s in the Namba division.”

“But, she’s also co-current here.”

“Hmm…”

“Her too?” Ryouha looked at the puppy, who made a sad pout. “You were right. This place is in a crisis.”

“On our team, too,” Akari spoke up. “Tsuu got put in the hospital and is in a coma.”

“The doctors think she won’t make it.”

“I don’t get it. Why is all the bad luck on us…?”

The two looked and saw Tani was crying. Kaori and Akari started trying to comfort her, then they noticed Akari signal to leave them alone a bit.

The two decided it was best they give them a moment, and they went into the stage. They saw a good majority of the senbatsu members, including Rena and Jurina, all gathered together.

“Ryouha,” a voice rose up. A KII team member, Furukawa Airi, walked up to Ryouha and the puppy at her side.

“Furukawa-san.”

“Glad you made it.”

“Well, this is my job. I was really surprised when I was chosen as co-center with Ami.”

“Don’t worry. You’ll do great.”

“Airin~” Another member, Churi, linked her arm around hers and laid her head on her shoulder. “C’mon, let’s go. You promised it’d just be us today.”

“Un, gotcha. Later,” she dismissed Ryouha and went with Churi, her arm still linked to hers.

“Masaka…”

Ryouha didn’t even have to look. Seeing the two talking, she saw tears form in Churi’s eyes as she hugged her.

“Airin’s leaving, too…?”

Ami nodded.

Ryouha sighed, sitting down. She didn’t notice another certain inugami and a certain Genking were beside her.

“Ryouha-tan…” Jurina looked at the girl’s sad eyes.

“What happened? You look sad.” Sae said.

The two looked at Ami. All they had to do was see that look in her eyes to understand.

“Oh…”

“I see. You’re worried about Sakae48’s future.”

Ryouha nodded.

“Ryouha-tan, I told you not to worry. Remember, you are a pillar who’s going to lead everyone.”

“But… what if I’m not good enough? How are we all just chosen for this so suddenly?”

“Hey, you think I remained calm when I found out I was Sakae48’s S team captain? I was freaking out.”

“Really?”

“Un. But, I was seriously happy.”

“And me and Rena have always been the ones leading our kouhai, the people who always see our backs.”

“But, now, they’re starting to grow and soon, they’ll be the ones to lead a new generation.”

“You don’t realize it yet, Ryouha-tan, but… you are the future. The continuation of this agency.”

“Eh..?”

That’s when something finally sparked.

Just like how new members are replacing the ones who leave, Ryouha and the others took the places of the knights they were who protected Hikari. They were reborn to carry on the legacy. She is the continuation.

“Yes… I do know.”

“Eh?”

Ryouha hugged her two seniors.

“Thank you.”

She parted from them, then hugged Ami.

“Wow… w-what’s gotten into you?”

“Ami-chan…” She parted and held out her hand. “Let’s work hard from now on, okay? We’re leading the new generation, together.”

Ami’s face lit up in a wide smile, her ears perked up once more and her tail wagging.

“Hai!” She shook Ami’s hand.

“OI!!! Guys!!!” Suddenly, the trio walked in, their faces looked as if in a panic.

“Eh?!”

“What’s wrong?”

“Them… those Namba48..!”

“Namba?!”