Chapter 30 -- The eternal promise. The legend of the Moon Princess, chu!!

Tentomu chu!! desu~ (Dropped)

Miichan was going through a few papers when she heard a knock on the door. When she opened the door, she met the eyes of a familiar ikemen.

“Sae-chan!”

“Yo, Miichan.”

“What are you doing here?”

“Well, I thought I’d swing by to check on everyone. What are they doing?”

“They all have work to do. Oh, except for Nana.”

She showed Sae over to a separate part of the room, where Nana was sleeping on the couch.

“Ah, I see.”

Then, Miichan remember something. “Wait… isn’t today..?”

Sae nodded.

“Oh… right.”

“It’s okay. I thought, before praying at the Rainbow Prism, I’d see everyone.”

Miichan smiled a bit. “That’s nice.”

“Un.”

“Oh, I got some work to do. Can you watch Nana for me?”

“Yeah.”

Miichan walked out of the room and went into a separate office.

Sae walked over to the serious girl, kneeling down to look at her sleeping face.

“Nana sure is pretty… like Sayaka.” She touched Nana’s ring. “I wonder… has Nana found someone she loves. I have Sayaka, even though I...”

She bit her lip, remembering the moment she last kissed her.

“Even if we’re apart… I’ll always be with you.”

“I miss you, Sayaka...”

Just then, Nana’s eyes open, looking at Sae.

“Ah, you’re up.”

“Sae...”

“I’ll tell Miichan you--” Before Sae could leave, Nana suddenly grabbed her wrist. “Eh? W-what?”

“Don’t leave.”

Sae looked at Nana’s eyes. Something was different. There was a familiar glow in them, one she had never seen in a long time.

“Sae, look. It’s me.”

“Huh..?”

“It’s me.”

Sae looked more closely at her, then she finally realized something. The glow in her eyes, only one person had it.

“Sayaka?”

“Yes. It’s me. Sayaka.”

Sae covered , overwhelmed.

“Sayaka...”

“I’m here, Sae. I’ll always be right here.”

“But… why? How? How did you…?”

Sayaka looked at Nana’s ring. “I made a connection with her. Our spirits are now one. It is the same for the child.”

“Child?”

“Ah, you don’t know that.” she giggled. “Nevermind then.”

“Eh~?”

“This girl, Nana… she is Uta, you know.”

Sae nodded. “I know.”

“Years ago, when I was born, I met her.”

“Eh?”

…..

During the *purification ceremony, when Sayaka was first born as the future heir to Kaguya’s throne, Uta was there.

She baptized her, purified her soul. She made her one with the moon itself.

“Now, you are the Moon Princess.”

The night after the birth ceremony, Uta looked after the sleeping baby, singing her a soft lullaby.

“Someday, you will be a beautiful young princess. And surely, a great queen.”

The baby simply slept, but she heard her voice even with eyes closed.

“I have a princess, too. Someone who I will protect. And, also… I have someone I love dearly. I hope someday, you will find someone you love with all your heart.”

She picked up the small hand and kissed it.

“I pray for your eternal happiness, Princess Sayaka.”

…..

“Since then… you were bound with her soul?”

“Yes… So, I guess you can say, it’s because of her, I never gave up on love.”

“Really…?” Sae could feel tears starting to build up.

So many memories flowed into her head. The moments where Sayaka was strong, and so gentle towards her. When she would protect her.

And also… the times where she was the most vulnerable and broken.

…..

“Sae...”

Sayaka hugged the younger girl as they stood under the moonlight.

“Saya..?”

“I don’t want to leave… I want to stay here, with you… forever...”

“But Sayaka...”

“I know, I am the heir. I am the Moon Princess...” She broke the hug and faced her, tears falling. “But… if I had to choose, I would give everything else up if it meant I could be with you.”

“Don’t say that. I’m happy, Sayaka. I want you to be, too.”

“You’re only saying that… Don’t you see, Sae? I can never go back. Once I leave, I have to--”

“Sayaka.” Sae silenced the elder girl. “When we first met, you told me never to give up on love. To not let go of the things most precious to you. Now, who told you that?”

“I...”

“Was it your mom, Kaguya? Or, someone else who was precious to you?”

Sayaka remained silent. But, she did faintly remember, seeing Uta and hearing her say such a thing.

“Whoever it was, you learned that from them. And you taught it to me.”

“Sae...”

“I will never, ever give up on love.”

…..

Tears were flowing down Sae’s face. She ran up and hugged the girl, crying into her chest.

“It’s okay. Let it out. I’m here...”

Sae remembered when she was in Kaguya’s garden. In her deep sleep, she was dreaming of Sayaka. She could hear her voice, and feel her warm embrace.

“I’m here, Sae. I’ll always be right here...”

After letting all of her tears out, Sae finally stood back up and wiped away her tears, facing her dear lover. She swore, even though she possessed Nana’s body, she saw only Sayaka in her eyes.

“Thank you.”

“Will you be okay?”

“Yes… Right now, I have.. my own destiny. Something I must complete.”

“The same for Nana. She has a princess, someone she must protect.”

Sae nodded.

“Sae,” Sayaka stood up, standing on her tip toes since Nana’s body was a bit shorter than Sae. “Thank you… for not giving up on love.”

“I could never do that. Especially not when its you.”

Sayaka gripped her shirt, pulling herself up and meeting Sae’s lips with hers.

“I love you.”

“For eternity.”

As they released the kiss, Nana’s body suddenly fell weak in Sae’s arms. Sayaka’s spirit had left her body.

Sae smiled sadly. “Thank you.”

She heard the door open, meaning Miichan was coming back. She quickly sat Nana back on the couch and stood up.

“Hey, you’re still here?”

“Uh, yeah. I just wanted to look after Nana before heading out.”

Miichan looked and saw Sae wipe away a tear on her cheek.

“Did something happen?”

The older girl shook her head. “It’s okay. Don’t worry.” She then hugged Miichan.

“Eh?”

Seeing Sae’s eyes, she understood what had happened, even though she didn’t exactly know what. The look in her eyes expressed all her emotion.

“Un. Alright.”

Miichan said her goodbyes and hugged the older girl. Then, she went back into the office to return to work.

Before leaving, she made sure to check if Miichan wasn’t looking, then knelt down at Nana’s side again and kissed her ring.

“Happy anniversary, Sayaka.”

================================

Footnotes

*1. The Purification – A baptism-like ceremony where the daughter of the Moon Goddess destined to become the next heir to the throne is “purified” by being cleansed in Kaguya’s spring water under the full moon.