Chapter 16 -- Hidden in the night. Memories, secrets, and true feelings, chu!!

Tentomu chu!! desu~ (Dropped)

The loud sound of the whip echoed in the darkness. The ookami roared as it felt extreme pain.

“You are weak…” Kaiba spoke as he whipped the wolf again. “It’s because of you that the Maou no longer trusts me!”

Another whip, another roar.

“You will kill that girl, and then, I will finally have the Crystal of Life. That’s when I’ll put you out of your misery.”

The wolf’s eyes were weakly growing red, still deep under Kaiba’s spell.

With another whip, it roared out in agony as its back had blood running down. But no one else heard its screams…

…..

I sat in front of Takamina and Miichan as we sat alone in the office.

“What do you mean Hoshina is dead?”

“Hoshina was a girl who lived in Eterna during Queen Muse’s reign. She was a very kind and gentle girl, and would always go to visit her and her daughter in the palace.”

“When the Maou came, Hoshina got caught and was killed protecting Princess Hikari.”

“No way…”

“But, you’re sure that girl said she was Hoshina?”

“Yes. She said herself, her name is Hoshina.”

The two looked at each other before looking back at me.

“What do you think it means?” I asked them.

“We came up with two possibilities. One, she is the reincarnation of Hoshina and she’s regained her past memories along with her powers.”

“And the other?”

“She may be a servant of the Maou posing as Hoshina to try and get to us.”

“Are you sure Hoshina didn’t just miraculously survive being killed?”

“No. We thought that, but then realized it would’ve been impossible. She suffered heavy damage when she was attacked.”

“I was there when it happened,” Miichan said, her voice filled with regret. “Because I couldn’t do anything… I lost both of them.”

I saw tears well up in her eyes again as Takamina patted her back.

“So, what about you guys?”

“A few number of us in the palace survived and we came down here to Earth to find the reincarnation of the princess and protect her from the Maou.”

“Was Mariko and Yuko the same?”

“Yes. Only a few of us survived, so the ones who died and reincarnated had to regain their past memories.”

“So, that means… if that is the real Hoshina… why did she come to me?”

“I don’t know.”

“Did you recognize her? Maybe she was someone you know.”

“She was wearing a mask, so it was hard. I just know she was beautiful, with midnight black hair and sky blue eyes.”

“Blue eyes… Hoshina did have blue eyes.”

“So it really is her?”

“We still should be careful. If she is a fraud, we can’t let her get to close. Especially to you, Mako.”

I nodded simply.

Things have started getting out of hand lately. First, I can’t let Naanya know my secret. Now, someone I truly believe is an ally still isn’t fully trusted by the others.

I just don’t… understand.

…..

Today was combat training with Yui. While we were all practicing, I saw Yui was deep in thought about something. I was worried and went over to talk to her.

“Yuihan?”

“Ah, Mako. What’s up?”

“I wanted to check up on you. Is something wrong?”

She shook her head. “Not really. Just a lot goin’ on.”

“You can tell me. I’ll listen.”

“Well…”

I smiled, trying to make her feel better. She sighed and straightened herself as she looked at me.

“Takamina told me that… in a year, she was going to quit the agency and go back to Eterna.”

“What?”

“When Takamina came, she had a time limit. She could only stay on Earth for a certain amount of time before she could go back.”

“Why is that? Is she not human? Or…”

“She’s an angel. Even though humans could go back and forth from Earth and Eterna as they pleased, angels could only stay for a while until they had to go back. Some of them would secretly go to Earth, and Takamina was one of them.”

“Eh…”

“She fell in love with a human girl on Earth, Atsuko.”

Atsuko… that name sounds familiar.

“What happened?”

“The two wanted to be married, so Takamina took her to Eterna… but that was when the Maou attacked.. and she…”

“She was killed?”

She nodded, her eyes growing dark.

“Takamina promised that she would come back for her when she was reborn, and they could be together again. So now, she has to go back soon…”

“How much longer does she have?”

“A year.”

A year… huh.

“She’s been with you guys a long time, huh?”

“Almost 10 years.”

“Wow…”

“Yeah, but… that’s not even the biggest surprise.”

“Eh? What is?”

“She appointed me to take over as general manager after she was gone.”

“Uso?! That’s amazing! That’s, like, the most important job in the agency.”

“Yes, but… it’s a heavy burden. I wonder if I’m ready for it…”

I patted her shoulder. “I think you’ll be awesome as manager.”

“Really…”

“Well, anyways, congratulations.”

She looked at me and smiled, short and sweet. Yet, I saw that sadness in her eyes… The same as everyone who has looked at me since I’ve been here…

“Thank you, Mako.”

I smiled.

“Oh, yes. One more thing, I want you to help me work the night shift.”

“Night shift?”

“Takamina said that she wants us to work a night shift because the Akuma could attack us. They’re stronger at night.”

“Okay.”

…..

That night, after the others left, Yui and I were up on the roof together, looking up at the starry sky. The night was lit up by a bright full moon.

“It’s so beautiful tonight.”

“Yes,” she agreed with my statement. “You know, strange things happen during a full moon.”

“Really?”

“That’s what they say.”

Strange things… I wonder what.

It’s already so late. I had trouble staying awake. I let out a loud yawn and leaned my head against Yui’s shoulder.

“You tried?”

“..Just.. a little…”

“You rest a bit. I’ll wake you up if I need you.”

“Un…”

I closed my eyes and slowly fell asleep. I could still feel her warmth beside me. It was so calming and relaxing, like a mother’s.

I felt her hands hold my shoulders and she laid me down on her lap, my head while humming something…

“Nee-chan.”

I opened my eyes and found myself in a different room. There, standing at the door, was Hoshina. But, slightly younger and wearing a nightgown.

“Hoshina…” I got up from the bed, rubbing my sleepy eyes. “What are you doing..?”

“Nee-chan.. can I sleep with you?”

I couldn’t help but smile. She was so cute.

“Did you have another nightmare?”

“No…” She blushed a bit, clutching her gown. “It’s just… I wanted to see you.”

“Eh..?”

“We never get to see each other lately… and soon, you’ll be…”

I slowly sat up from the bed, smiling. “Don’t worry, Hoshina. We still have time. Besides, even after I become the next Queen, I’ll never forget you.”

“..Really?”

“Un. Even after 1000 years, I will never, ever forget you.”

She smiled widely. “Me too! Even after I grow old and die, I’ll never, ever, EVER forget Nee-chan!”

I patted the open space beside me on the bed. She cheerfully ran up and jumped into bed, hugging me. We both collapsed onto the soft mattress and I saw her cute face as she slowly fell asleep.

“I love you, Nee-chan.”

“I love you, too, Hoshina… You’re my…”

She is…

“Nee-chan…”

She is my…

“******!”

When I opened my eyes, I looked up and saw, not Yui, but Hoshina.

“You… Why are you here?”

“You called for me. Your heart, I heard it call to me.”

My heart? Was I sleep-talking again?

“Hoshina… who are you, really? The others think you’re a fake, but… I feel like.. I can trust you.”

“Mako…” She my head one last time, a sadness in her eyes. “I wish I could tell you.”

“Tell me what?”

Just then, I heard a scream. There was Yui, being grabbed by a black monster.

“Mako, help!”

“Yui!”

I transformed and summoned my sword, slicing the monster and making it disperse into dark dust. Yui fell to the ground, catching her breath.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah…”

I looked over and saw Hoshina was gone.

Why does she leave when I least want her to?

“Mako?” I looked back and saw Yui looking at me worriedly.

“Yui… Did you see..?”

“What?”

I looked up at the moon, seeing it shine down below me.

Strange things do happen during a full moon…

“..Nothing.”

…..

Hoshina was sitting at the top of a building, staring up at the star filled sky. The moon shined as bright as her pure white outfit, as if she were an angel.

She stood up, jumping and floating down to the ground below.

Slowly, she took off her mask, and her outfit had changed into her normal clothes, the mask also disappearing. Her blue eyes turned dark brown.

Out from the darkness, back into the moonlight, she stepped out and pulled some of her hair behind her head.

She looked in her reflection.

Reflected in front of her was her true self. Owada Nana.

“Mako…”

She remembered hearing the girl calling her in her sleep, calling out her name, tears running down the rims of her eyes.

“My light…”

“Hoshina… you are my.. my..!”

“Don’t worry. I made a promise, Mako… I’m going to keep it.”

…..

“Ohayou, Makocchi!” Miki said cheerfully as she and the girls greeted me.

“Are? What’s all this?”

Lucky enough, our office has a kitchen in it. So, I decided to make the girls breakfast.

“Just a little something… It’s my first time doing it, so it may not be too good. But, I wanted to at least do something for you all.”

“Eh~? This is too sweet of you, Mako-chan!”

“Everything’s already set out, so dig in!”

“Hai~”

We all sat at the table and ate together. To me, these girls are like a much bigger family. I’ve never seen myself having so many sisters, and none like any of them.

Everyone…

Just then, the door burst open.

“Mako-chaaaaaaan!!!” I looked and saw Rina running in a panic. She came over, holding my shoulders to support herself up.

“Ikoma-san?”

“What’s wrong?”

“Me, Kazumi-chan, Erika-chan, Yumi, Sayu-nyan! We..! We..!”

“What?”

“We have SUPERPOWERS!!!”