Chapter 24 -- Silent Christmas. Tragedy strikes Mako, chu!!

Tentomu chu!! desu~ (Dropped)

Time passed, and before we knew it, it was Christmas. We started working again, but I was able to get the day off so I could spend Christmas with my family and friends from school.

And right now, I’m waiting to meet up with Naanya. We’re going to spend the entire day together. Our own Christmas.

“Mako-chan!” I hear the voice of my best friend and I smile when I see her.

“Ah, Naanya.”

“Finally, we both have a WHOLE day to spend together.”

“Yup, and Christmas, too.”

She smiled brightly, adjusting her scarf. “Do you like it? My mom made it.”

“Un. It’s cute.”

“You too.”

“Thanks.” I adjusted the gloves covering my hands.

“Nee… I wonder if it’s alright, but I got you a present.”

“Eh, really?”

“Yeah!”

“Wow! I’m so sorry, I didn’t even have time to think to get you anything.”

“It’s fine, I know you’re busy.”

“C’mon, let’s go.”

“Un!”

She held my hand as we walked to my apartment. We both sighed blissfully at the nice, cozy feeling of entering the warm room.

“Want some hot cocoa?”

“Un!”

She sat over on the couch, taking off her coat and scarf as I started preparing the cocoa. Once it was done, I poured us each a glass, added the marshmallows, and walked over to her.

In her lap was a large, wrapped present with a red bow on it.

“Merry Christmas.”

I set the cups of hot chocolate down and took the present, unwrapping it to reveal a large, brown leather book.

“This book…” I dusted off the old book cover.

I haven’t seen this in forever. This is…

“It’s the storybook we always read as kids, remember?”

“Of course, I remember.” I picked it up, smiling. I saw a red silk bookmark in between the pages. “Could it be..?”

“It was our favorite to read… I thought, we could read it together, after so long.”

I giggled at her shyness.

“Of course.”

I opened up the book and turned the pages till I found the one marked by the red ribbon bookmark.

“The Clockwork Dancer.”

“Once upon a time, there was a ballerina who lived in a snow globe. She was a beautiful ballerina with porcelain white skin and a sparkling pink dress. Every day, whenever someone wound up her key, music would play and she would begin to dance. However, at night, when no one was watching, she would wander about her snow globe freely. She would play with her doll and practice her violin, dancing as she always would, every day and night.

However, she was envious of how she looked and saw so many people, with more space to freely roam the strange room outside her glass ball. She would see young children playing with amazing toys, and couples going on dates and being in love. She wanted to be free, but she was afraid that she would break her body if she ever dared to venture outside her perfect world.

One night, she saw a beautiful butterfly who flew near the glass and landed on it, creating a slight crack. She felt a pain in her arm and saw her forearm had a small crack forming. The butterfly did not move, and she admired the beauty of it.

Then, the butterfly said, “Dear ballerina, why are you in this glass ball?”

“I’m afraid,” she replied. “I’m afraid of being broken.”

“You don’t need to be afraid. Even if you are broken, you will surely be freed and come back as something new. I was once a caterpillar, but then my old body was transformed into a butterfly. So, I’m sure that even if you are hurt, you will turn into something wonderful.”

The ballerina never heard such beauty. That’s truly what she wanted, to be free and become something more. She decided it was time to break away, even if it meant breaking herself.

“I’ve been trapped for too long.”

She pounded her fist on the glass, creating large cracks in the globe. She felt her body start to break apart, more cracks forming. With a small prayer and one last pound, the globe broke. And then, the ballerina’s body shattered into a million pieces, like glass, and the remains of her soul turn into a spec of light, flickering and glimmering, shining like a star, before it died out and faded away. The ballerina was finally free, forever.”


“It’s been so long…”

“Un…”

She took her mug and sipped the warm cocoa. We just drank on the couch and chatted about our work, how things were going and other things that were happening.

Yet, I still remember what was going on. The dreams that I have are becoming more frequent, and steadily intensifying. I sometimes wake up, an intense feeling of pain and sadness in my heart. A feeling like there’s something I’m supposed to remember.

“Hey… Naanya.”

“What..?” she said in a low voice. She must be tired due to work.

“I want to ask you… what you think of me.”

“Eh..?”

“I… Well, there’s a lot that’s been happening and… I just don’t know if I’m really as special as everyone takes me for.”

“You are special, Mako.”

“Thanks. But… what if.. you found out something about me that you never, ever expected? Would you change your mind?”

“Of course not… To me… you’re…”

I… What am I to you, Naanya?

“….”

“Naanya?”

I soon noticed Naanya fell asleep and her heavy head fell onto my shoulder. I simply smiled and laid her down on the couch. I covered her in a blanket and was about to leave her to sleep, until…

“Strawberry…” I heard her say softly in her sleep.

I giggled a bit inside. She always loved strawberries.

“Strawberry cake… wanna eat…”

I knelt down to her side, whispering in her ear. “You want strawberry shortcake?”

“Un. I want…”

“Alright. I’ll buy you a cake. A big shortcake, with lots of strawberries and topped with plenty of whipped cream.”

“Whipped cream.. yummy…”

“I know you love it.”

“Nee-chan.. I love you.”

I giggled. “I love you, too, Naanya.”

…..

“So, the time has finally come.” Isako said, swirling her red wine.

“It’s been over 1000 years~” Momo said with a grin, twirling her lollipop.

“The war of darkness and light,” the Maou said. “The angels shall fall as they did before.”

Hayate giggled creepily.

“Hehehe, let’s make those girls pay.”

“Isako.”

“Yes.”

“I will warn you, this is your last chance. If you do not kill them, you will be severely punished.”

“Of course, my Lord.” The four stood up. “Let’s go.”

…..

“Here you are, Kojima-san. One strawberry shortcake.”

“Thank you,” I paid the chef and took the cake box in a plastic bag.

After I stepped out of the shop and back into the cold, I looked up at the clouds. The weather said there would be a chance of snow.

I wonder if we’ll have a White Christmas…

Thoughts like that made me more curious about Eterna. I would sometimes ask Miichan about them, and she would tell me things that always seemed to link either to Queen Muse or to Princess Hikari.

I wonder if it snows in Eterna…

I let those thoughts pass as I look down at the cake, remembering the message I asked the chef to write on it.

“To my most precious friend, Naanya”

I smiled. I wonder if she thinks of me the same way.

Suddenly, I felt a strange pulse and soon noticed all time around me had stopped.

“Found you~” A voice called.

“Momo!”

I looked up and saw the four of them, hovering over me in the air.

“Why are you all here?”

“Did you forget?”

“It’s time for the start of a war.”

Momo created an orb of dark energy and threw it at me, almost hitting me.

I started running to the agency, taking out my phone to call the others. They were all unfrozen, like I was, and knew what was going on.

I met them back at the building and made it up to the roof. The four Akuma were already there.

“The war has begun.”

“No,” Miichan and Takamina stepped up. “It’s not.”

“We’ve been sealed up in the depths of the *Abyss for far too long. 1000 years is a long time to wait.”

“And we’ve waited far enough.”

They attacked us, but we all transformed and were able to block the attacks in time.

“This time, it will end differently.” Isako said. “The war must go on.”

“No. Not this time.”

I saw wings grow out of Takamina’s back and a sword was summoned into her hand.

“I, Takahashi Minami, as the leader of Queen Muse-sama’s First Troop, shall fight for my life. You, demons of the dark abyss, shall not prevail.”

…..

Naanya was still sleeping in Mako’s apartment. She was tossing and turning in the couch, messing up the blanket covering her. She took sharp intakes of breath from the nightmare playing in her head.

“Hoshina!”

“Nee-chan!” She shot up and screamed as she woke up.

She looked at her watch. She was asleep for too long. Mako was gone, and after the nightmare she just endured, she needed to find her.

Then, she noticed the clock in the room was frozen. And everything outside had stopped moving, like all time on Earth was at a standstill.

She clutched her pendant, feeling its warmth.

“Mako.”

…..

“Time to end this.”

“I couldn’t agree more.”

They summoned dark minions and had them attack the others. Momo and Hayate took Miichan, Nagato had Takamina, and I fought against Isako.

I raised my sword, readying myself.

“What’s wrong?” she said. “Afraid you won’t be able to stand against me?”

“No. You’ve caused damage and destruction in this world. I won’t allow your awful deeds to progress further.”

She chuckled lowly. “Wow. I’ve only heard those words once. Over 1000 years ago. Who knew you angels and humans still had such guts.”

I my sword towards her, but she dodged it and tried to attack. We came at close eye contact.

“All of you are the same. Fallen angels with broken wings.”

She grabbed my wrist, but I turned and released myself, aiming the sword at her neck.

“You all fall, burning down like meteors. Once the flames die down, you still weakly rise. How pitiful.”

“You…”

“Humans are so foolish. Clouded with greed and hatred.” She grabbed my sword. “It won’t be long before demons arise once again to bring a living Hell onto Earth and the Heavens.”

She suddenly slipped the sword out of my hands and kicked it away from my reach, then blew me back with an incredible force. I almost fell off the roof.

“Now, why don’t you fall?”

She was about to attack. I shut my eyes.

*Clash*

Just then, I saw a bright flash and saw Hoshina standing in front of me, protecting me from the attack with her sword.

“Hoshina..!”

The others happened to look and see what was going on.

“What..?” Takamina stared shocked.

“Who is that?” Nagisa asked.

“Mako-chan, do you know her?” Miki said.

“Um…”

“That’s it. I’ll finish both of you!” Isako sent a beam of dark energy.

Before it could hit her, I stepped in front of her. My Heart fragment glowed and started to block off the attack, but it was rather hard.

“Mako, stop!”

“No! I’m going to protect Hoshina!”

“Mako-chan!”

“You don’t understand. None of you understand how important she is to me!”

“Eh?”

“To me, she is…”

She is….

“Nee-chan!”

Wait…

“Mako… to me, you are…”

It can’t be…

I turned to look at her, seeing the shock in her eyes.

It can’t be!

It all makes sense. Everything that’s happened up until this point. The way she acts… it’s just like…

Then that means, Hoshina is..!

*Crack*

“Mako, no!”

“Wha—?”

*Crack*

*Crack*

No….

*CRACK*

“MAKO!!!!”

After that… my mind went blank.

…..

Mako’s body collapsed to the ground, limp and almost lifeless, and her clothes turned back to normal. The silver ring on her finger broke in half, falling to the ground. Her Heart fragment had shattered to pieces.

Everyone was overcome with shock at the scene, staring as she laid there, not moving.

“No… Mako…”

Isako smiled in satisfaction. “Well, that isn’t what I expected. No matter… I’ve finally gotten rid of one nuisance.”

Hoshina fell to her knees, tears falling down as she stared at Mako.

“Nee-chan… this can’t be..!”

“You… !!!” Miichan roared, about to attack, but Isako had already left. She angrily punched the ground, screaming in anger and frustration.

“Miichan!”

“Stop. That won’t do any good.”

But eventually, those screams turned into cries of agony and heartbreak, pouring out all her pain.

“Why..? Why did she go so far..?”

Takamina walked over and hugged her, rubbing her back.

“Why did this happen…?”

Nana looked at the girl dressed in white, holding Mako’s head in her arms as she wept over her unconscious body.

She went over and reached out to her.

“Hoshina-san… could it be, you’re—”

When she touched her, a vision flashed in her head.

“Hoshina!”

She was taken back by the sudden memory, her hand moving away from the girl.

“What.. was…?”

“I’m sorry.” Hoshina got up and ran off, hiding her face.

“Wait! Hoshina-san!”

After she was gone, all that was left was silence among the others.

“Her ring…” Miki picked up both halves of the silver ring.

“The Heart fragment. It’s shattered to pieces.”

Miichan slowly got up. “Find them… Hurry, find the pieces!”

The girls all panicked, searching the ground for even the smallest pieces of what could be the Heart fragment.

They all found a number of fragments, and gathered them in Miichan’s hands.

“I think that’s all of it.”

“I can’t believe it shattered this much…”

Miichan closed her hands up, trying to press the pieces together and reform the fragment with her magic.

“Please… reform. Please!”

She opened them up, they were still shattered fragments.

“What should we do?”

Takamina stepped forward. “I’ll try to fix the ring and repair her fragment, but…”

They all looked at Mako, lying on the ground. She looked almost dead. Miichan tried to fight her tears as she closed the Heart fragment pieces in her hands.

“We need to get her to a hospital, now.”

…..

Three days had passed since Mako’s Heart fragment had shattered. She had been in the hospital, unconscious, while the others continued work on their own.

Since then, the Akuma haven’t moved. But, Japan was worried for their dear idol, and wanted to see her precious smile again.

Miichan had been trying to repair her ring, but no matter what, the Heart fragment still fell apart. Right now, all they were able to do was pray for Mako to wake up. Whenever they finished work, they would always come and visit her, try to wake her up.

Out of everyone, the most concerned of all was her best friend, Naanya. Whenever she got the chance, she would come and spend time with her, completely alone. Talking to her, telling her about her day, as if trying to get a response, a smile. She tried to fight her tears, but she was the most broken. There were often times where she would cry herself to sleep beside the girl. It was heartbreaking, especially for her dear friend.

A new day came and snow had started falling from the sky. Miki came in to replace the bouquet of flowers they left for Mako.

She opened the door, seeing her asleep in a beautiful, clean white hospital gown.

“Hey, Mako-chan,” she said, even though she knew she wouldn’t get a response.

She laid down the bouquet of fresh flowers and was about to take the old one, when she heard a shifting sound.

Her head turned and when she looked, she saw Mako sitting up in the bed, her eyes open. She looked at the younger girl, looking as if she had just woke up from a dream.

“Mako-chan!” She hugged the girl, happy that she was okay. “Thank God!”

Mako just sat there, a bit shocked at her sudden hug.

Miki broke away and smiled. “The others are here, too! I’ll go get them!”

She ran down the hall, reuniting with the others.

“Miichan, guys, Mako’s awake!”

“What?”

“Really?!”

“Yes, I saw her. She woke up, just now.”

“That’s great!”

“Let’s go see her!”

They all went straight to her room, seeing the girl awake and well. She looked at them, the same confused expression she had before.

“Makocchi!”

“Thank goodness you’re okay.”

“You had us worried.”

Mako said nothing. She just kept staring at them.

“Oi, oi, what’s wrong, Mako-chan?”

“Mako… chan?”

The girls were silent a second. Something’s wrong…

“C’mon, that’s your name. Remember, Makocchi?”

“Yeah, you’re Mako. Kojima Mako.”

“Kojima… Mako? That’s.. my name?”

There was a sudden tenseness in the atmosphere. Mako was acting really strange, and no one knew why.

“W-what are you talking about? Quit messing around.”

Still, the look on Mako’s face didn’t change.

Nana didn’t like how things felt and held both of her shoulders.

“Look now, lying isn’t good, Mako. Stop with the jokes, we were all very worried about you.”

Mako stared at her for a few seconds. And then…

“Who are you?”

Now, no one was smile. Everyone’s faces showed shock. Especially Nana.

“..Eh? M-Mako.. you’re joking, right?”

No answer came from her. Nana slowly separated, her face painted with confusion and shock.

“You’re not joking…”

“Mako-chan, you can’t be serious! That’s Nana, remember? And I’m Miki!”

“I… I’m sorry.”

“Mako-chan…”

Miichan realized what was going on and stepped forward, grabbing both of Mako’s shoulders and looking straight in her eyes.

“Mako, do you remember who I am?”

“I… N-no, I don’t—”

“Do you remember the others? About Akihabara48? What about Nogizaka, and the Shinjuku Girls? Do you remember who you are and what you do at the agency? Or ANYTHING about Tentomu chu?!”

“I-I…”

“What about Naanya? Didn’t you say she was your best friend? That she meant the world to you, and you would do anything for her?! You’ve gotta remember her! PLEASE!!!”

“Miichan, calm down!”

The older girl finally broke down, crying. Her hands still held onto Mako.

“Please… say you remember.”

Mako looked down at the crying girl. She felt sorry for her, and yet, she had no idea who she was.

“I’m very sorry… but, I don’t remember. Not any of that… not anything.”

“You can’t even remember your own name…”

She shook her head.

“Miichan, is this..?”

The short haired girl got back up on her feet, walking out of the room. After a few moments of silence, they all left as well, leaving their dear friend even more confused than ever.

“Miichan.”

“What’s going on? Why does Mako not remember us?”

“…Her Heart fragment.”

“Yeah, it’s broken. What does that have to..?”

Miichan wiped away her tears. “Her Heart fragment has completely shattered… but it didn’t kill her.”

“Then, that means…”

“Her memory.”

“It’s… gone?”

Miichan nodded.

“All of it?”

“It seems like it. If she can’t even recall who she is… then, yes. This is serious.”

“This is terrible…”

“What happens if we can’t repair her Heart fragment..?”

“Then, her memory will never come back. She won’t be able to fight anymore; we’d just be putting her at risk.”

“No…”

The elder girl turned away from her junior members, a heavy feeling in her heart, as she didn’t tell the rest.

That if Mako was gone forever, they would lose their most precious light.

================================

Footnotes

*1. Abyss – The Underworld