Chapter 5 -- Follow the leader! Mako's big spotlight moment, chu!! (Part 2)

Tentomu chu!! desu~ (Dropped)

I knocked on the door gently, waiting for an answer.

"Come in." I heard Nana say on the other side. I opened the door and walked in, seeing Nana resting on the couch.

"Hey." I smiled a bit as I closed the door behind me. "You okay?"

"I feel a little better… But I still feel sick."

"How’s your head?"

"It’s not hurting as bad as before. Just a bit of buzzing now and then."

I gave her a cup of tea and sat on the couch beside her. “I’m just glad you’re okay. We were all worried about you.”

"Thanks, Mako-chan."

"So what happened back there?" I asked as she sipped her tea.

"I don’t know. When I walked in the room, I just felt a cold breeze. I didn’t want to say anything to make you worry."

"You were cold?"

"Yeah. I just felt chills go up my spine. Then, when I was singing, I felt this dark presence in the room… It was really strong, and it was kind of scary."

She can do that?

"I thought I felt someone near me and I could hear these voices in my head… so I freaked out."

She sat down the cup and looked at me.

"I actually… I’ve been keeping a secret."

"Eh?"

"The thing is… I—"

"Nana-chan!" Miki and Ryouha walked in. Miki instantly jumped on the couch and hugged Nana’s neck. "Thank goodness you’re okay!"

"Miki-chan. Ryouha-tan…"

"Are you feeling any better?"

"A little bit…" she said with a smile. As they talked, Nana looked at me again and frowned a bit, but covered it.

I wonder what she was going to say…

"Wait, where’s Nagisa?"

"She went out to get some snacks."

"Also some medicine for you. She should be back soon."

"Thanks guys."

"C’mon, Makocchi!" Miki took my hand. "We gotta practice!"

I nodded and started walking with them. As I was about to shut the door, I looked back and saw Nana mouth something to me.

"I’ll tell you later."

…..

"*Takoyaki, *yakisoba pan, *pocky…" Nagisa smiled as she looked through her grocery bags. "Only a true Osaka girl can find these delicacies in Tokyo.”

She looked at a smaller plastic bag in her hand and pulled out a bottle of some medicine.

“This should help Nana’s headaches.” She said as she put the medicine bottle in her bag.

As she approached the café and saw everyone there, she smiled happily, giggling as she thought of their first concert. Everyone cheering her name, asking for an encore.

However, she broke from her fantasies, and realized the door was locked.

“Eh?”

She tried to push AND pull the door open, but it wouldn’t budge.

"EEEEEEEEHH?!?!?!" She slammed into the window and tried getting someone’s attention. "Uso?! I can’t get it! HELP!!!"

As she was banging, someone tapped her shoulder.

"Ano…"

"EH?!"

She quickly composed herself as she saw a reporter and a man carrying a camera.

"Um, yes?"

"We’re filming for the news special about the latest idol group from Akihabara48. Are you a fan?"

"Oh, actually, I happen to be a member of the group."

"Really?! We’d love to get a live interview with you!"

Nagisa smiled widely. “We’re LIVE?!”

"Yup. Reporting from the studio, broadcasting throughout Japan."

Nagisa was so excited, she set down her grocery bags and faced the camera.

"HELLOOOO, Japan! This is Shibuya Nagisa, giving a shout out to my fans! Especially y’all in Osaka!"

"You’re from Osaka?"

"You bet!"

"That’s a pretty long way from here. And, what can you tell us about your fellow members?"

"Well, including me, we’re a seven person group. But, Mio-chan and Meru-chan had to go back to Hakata for a school ceremony. As for the others, Ryouha-tan is from Sakae, Nagoya, and Mako-chan, Nana-chan, and Miki-chan are all locals in Tokyo."

"It must be amazing to be able to work here. What happened during auditions?"

"Well, it all started when I was doing a live comedy act on a street in Namba…"

…..

"Where is Nagisa?" Ryouha said as we all looked at the clock. "She was supposed to be back half an hour ago."

"Maybe something happened?"

"Yeah, like she got stuck in traffic."

"Still, if she’s not back, it looks like it might be the three of us." I said as I turned around and got out the radio. "But, we’ll still need to practice."

"Sasuga, Leader! Always on the right track."

"Aren’t either of you nervous?" Ryouha said worriedly.

"Well, sure we are. But we can’t let that get in the way of performing."

"But…" Ryouha rubbed her shoulders more.

Me and Miki looked at each other and realized something.

"Could it be that…?"

"Ryouha-tan, you have stage fright?"

She nodded her head shyly.

"Oh, it’s okay, Ryouha-tan." Miki patted her shoulder. "I understand that you’re nervous. I get scared of things all the time."

"Like what?"

"Mm… bugs, ghosts, heights. There’s actually a lot; I’m kind of embarrassed."

I can understand, though…

"But, maybe I can help. I know a way that can help overcome your fear."

"Really? What?"

"Miki, Ryouha-tan, c’mon, we don’t have much time. We need to practice. Maybe later?"

"Ah, alright. Maybe another time, Ryouha-tan. Gomen,"

"No, it’s okay. Mako-chan’s right. Let’s practice."

"Hai~!"

I started the music and the three of us went through the dance moves while also singing the lyrics.

Standing in front of the mirror and focusing on my routine, I tried to picture myself standing on that stage. I could see the audience cheering and smiling, and it felt like the best thing in the world.

I could feel my heart fluttering again, just like when I was training. I had the biggest smile on my face as I was singing, all the words just rolled off my tongue like it was nothing.

And dancing right now, I felt alive. I was so light on my feet and each step made me feel free. It was the best feeling in the world…

“Ita!” I heard Miki scream and then a sudden crash brought me back.

I looked in the mirror and saw Miki collapsed on the ground, holding her ankle.

"Miki!" I ran over to her and saw Ryouha already at her side. "What happened?"

"My foot twisted funny and I slipped. Ah!" She couldn’t get up and was holding her foot tightly. "I think I sprained my ankle!"

"OK, you’ll be fine, just don’t move your foot. Ryouha-tan, help me carry her."

"Right!"

Me and Ryouha supported Miki on our shoulders and carried her into the room Nana was in. Ayaka was already there, taking care of her.

"What’s wrong?"

"Miki fell and hurt her ankle."

We sat her down on the couch while Miki untied her shoe and slipped it off.

“Let’s see…” Ayaka took her foot and examined it. It wasn’t red or swollen, so that was a good sign. She massaged it a bit and made Miki wince in pain. “Does it hurt?”

“Un… a little.”

“Well, good news is, it isn’t sprained, so you should be fine. But, I don’t think you’ll be able to perform today.”

“What?!”

“You just need to rest your foot and let it recover.”

“But that means, only Ryouha and Mako are left to perform!” Nana pointed out. “Nagisa-san is gone, too, so do you think they’ll be able to pull it off?”

“She’s right,” Miki responded, “Ryouha-tan has stage fright!”

Ryouha just nodded in response as Ayaka looked at her.

“Do you think you can handle it?”

Another nod.

I placed my hand on her shoulder. “Don’t worry, I’ll be right beside you, so if you need help, you’ll have me there. Just don’t think about it, okay?”

“Alright…”

“It’s almost time, girls!” Ayaka said looking at her watch. “Let’s get you changed into your outfits. Yuko’s waiting for us at the café.”

“Hai!”

…..

When we got to the back door of the café, we tried to open it, but it wasn’t moving. It wasn’t locked, so it must’ve been stuck. We tried everything, even kicking the door once(but that just hurt our feet).

Ayaka tried using her powers to burst the door open, but there was a powerful energy force sealing the door shut. Ryouha and I focused our powers and tried to help her, but it was really strong.

I saw a window just low enough for us to crawl in, and I saw Yuko on the other side.

Banging the window hard, I got her attention and had her open the window so we could get in. Once we got in, me and Ryouha got changed while Ayaka consulted Yuko about what happened.

When we got back, it was almost showtime, and already, my heart was pounding.

“Mm… but still, I have a bad feeling about this.” Ryouha said to herself.

“Don’t worry, Ryouha-tan. It’s not that bad.”

I held her hand and walked with her towards the stage. We peeked through the curtains and looked at the audience…

Hm? Wait…

Something’s wrong… All of them look really gloomy and dark. I looked and saw Ryouha was shaking, looking at their eyes.

She quickly ran off and crawled up into the corner.

“That’s it! There’s NO way I’m going out there!!!”

“Ryouha-tan…”

“C’mon, girls, you need to get out there and start the show,” Yuko encouraged, but Ryouha covered her ears.

“I can’t do it! I can’t go out there! All of them are staring at me!”

Ryouha…

"Mako, what are you going to do?" Yuko asked me.

Really, I don’t think I have a choice… Mio and Meru are in Fukuoka, Nagisa isn’t back, Ryouha’s too scared to go on stage, and Miki and Nana are both recovering…

There’s only one thing I can do…

"I’m going."

"Eh?"

"The show must go on. I’ll perform by myself."

"Mako…" Yuko smiled and hugged me tight. "That’s the spirit! That’s just the kind of attitude a leader needs to have!"

"Yuko-san…"

"Oh, just drop the ‘-san’ already!" she laughed as she broke the hug.

I smiled and walked onto the stage. I fixed my ribbon one last time before the curtain finally rose.

"Ladies and gentlemen, Tentomu chu!!"

When it opened, I saw the whole audience staring at me in silence, dark looks in their eyes. I even saw cameras and news reporters filming inside and outside the café.

"Hello, everyone. My name is Kojima Mako, leader of the newest idol unit from Akihabara48, Tentomu chu."

I bowed, but no applause came. But still, I kept my smile as I raised my head.

“Due to certain circumstances, I will be the only one performing today. I’m sure all of you were excited to see all of us, and I deeply apologize. But, I will—”

"Just shut up! This is boring!"

"Eh?" I looked around ands aw everyone was angrily yelling at each other, even me.

"We don’t care about this kind of stuff!"

"Get outta here!"

"I’ve got better things to do than this."

Uso.. what is going on with everyone?

As the yelling escalated louder, I started seeing a dark aura surrounding the whole café. Now I knew, they were being controlled.

Only I can save them…

"…Stop!"

Everything became silent. I took a deep breath and spoke up once more.

"I… I don’t know what I can do to make you all feel better. But, I promised that I would make this the best show I could do."

All of them stared at me. But I still kept my ground. I never broke my gaze.

"I absolutely know that I can become a top idol! It’s been my dream ever since I was young. And I always thought…"

I remembered my mom’s words she would say to encourage me.

On my bad days, when I was sad, or frustrated, or nervous…

She’d say….

"If you don’t believe you can do it, nothing will begin."

I smiled. I could feel my heart fluttering again.

"I will face forward and be myself. I will do my absolute best! So, please, I hope all of you will support me!"

I think I saw some of their expressions change.

I’m close… Just a little more…

"Please enjoy."

The music started and now, I didn’t think about everyone staring at me. I just let all of that go.

Kimi dake ni~ Chu! Chu! Chu!

As the music played and I danced to the rhythm, I felt this new power wash over me.

I could see my ring glowing, and I knew from my heart beating so fast that this was my power. Feeling this happy, this light, and it was because of this power.

Because I want to make others feel that way.

SUKUURUBASU kara orite kuru kimi wa
Itsumo waratteru yo ne

SUKEETOBOODO de toorisuginagara
Boku wa mainichi miteru yo

I knew I was getting through to them. The dark aura was fading away and I could see light coming back into their eyes, smiles forming on their faces.

As I danced I could see a bright aura of light surrounding me. The same I saw before, full of color and dancing around me as I did.

Namae sae shiranai no ni
Koi ni ochite shimatta

I felt a burst of energy and now, everyone as getting excited and cheering louder. Now I knew why love was the most powerful heart fragment; because it was able to make people so happy.

KISU yo tonde yuke! Boku no HAATO kara
Migite de kuchibiru nageru you ni

KISU yo tonde yuke! Kimi no HAATO made
Koe ni wa dasazu ni kossori

"Mako-chan!!!"

"Mako, daisuki~"

"She’s SOOO cute!"

"Totally lovin’ Tentomu chu!!!"

Kimi dake ni~ Chu! Chu! Chu!

…..

"Wow! Mako-chan, that’s amazing!" Nagisa cheered as she watched her friend performing on stage in the café.

"So, that is your leader?” The reporter said as camera pointed at her.

Nagisa smiled.

"Y’all better believe it!"

…..

"Meru-chan, look!" Mio and Meru sat in the back of Mariko’s car as they drived through the Fukuoka streets. "Mako-chan’s all over the news!"

"Uwa~ it’s true!"

"Hey, isn’t that great, Mariko-san?"

The older woman looked back at the two girls beaming, watching the news on Mio’s phone.

She smiled. “Un.”

…..

Yuko looked at the text she had gotten from her old friend. She hadn’t seen her in a long time, so it was great she got in touch with her.

“I wonder if I’ll be able to see her again…”

She closed her phone and sighed. Ayaka patted her shoulder.

“Don’t worry. It’ll be okay.”

“It’s just… been so long since I’ve seen her. I wonder what she is doing.”

The door opened and Nana and Miki walked in.

“We’re here!”

“Are we too late?”

“Nope.” Yuko said with a smile, pointing at the stage. “You’re just in time.”

Ryouha pulled them to the side of the stage where they could see Mako waving as the crowd cheered.

"Mako-chan! Mako-chan! Mako-chan!"

"Well, done, Mako." Nana said as she saw her smile.

Miki giggled. “Well done, indeed.”

…..

A week later…

"Tadaima~" Mio and Meru both walked into the office. They smiled and hugged us as we welcome them back.

Miki, Nagisa, and Ryouha pulled out some confetti cannons and set them off.

"Okaeri, Mio-chan, Meru-chan!"

"Okaeri~!"

"Hey, we bought cake! Let’s eat!" We all gathered by the office table and started cutting up the cake.

"To the debut of Tentomu chu!!!"

"More like, the debut of Kojima Mako!"

All of us laughed at Nagisa’s comment as the older girl hugged my neck.

"But, seriously, Mako-chan, you made our group become a hot topic. We saw you on the news in Fukuoka."

"Was it as amazing as ever?"

"Of course, you guys. it was the best."

Mio held her chin. “But, how did it end up just you, anyway?”

"Oh, uh, Nagisa got locked out, Ryouha has stage fright, and Miki-chan hurt her ankle."

"It’s all good now!" she said happily.

"And Naachan?"

Oh, yeah…

Nana… She still didn’t tell me...

I set down my plate and cleared my throat a bit.

"Guys, actually…"

"Eh?"

"Nana has something to tell us. It seems pretty important, so I think we need to hear it from her."

I turned to look at her standing not too far from us, facing the ground with her hair covering her eyes.

"Nana…"

When I looked closer, I saw her eyes were wide open, her pupils dilating and undoing themselves as she breathed hard. She clutched her chest tightly as she backed away slowly, staggering a bit.

"Nana?"

"Naachan, are you okay?"

Nana’s eyes lost all light and slowly closed. Her body fell backward and she collapsed to the ground.

"Nana!"

================================

Footnotes

*1. Takoyaki - Fried octopus balls; a fried food originated from Osaka.

*2. Yakisoba pan - A Japanese dish that consists of yakisoba noodles stuffed into bread. The dish originated in China.

*3. Pocky - A Japanese snack; thin biscuit sticks covered in chocolate.