Chapter 6

In the Car

 

The family arrive their home bringing along the new family member, Sohee. Seohyun walked towards the living room and sat on the sofa while carrying Sohee gently. Luhan went upstairs to take the baby mattress for Sohee.

Once Seohyun sat down, Taemin, Jongin, and Sehun sat beside their mother to look at Sohee. They were too happy staring at their sister. Sohee is still sleeping when they arrived at home. Her brothers couldn’t wait anymore. They want to play with her badly.

Sohee cried and the boys tried to console her. “Sohee, don’t cry. Oppa is here.” All three of them said to Sohee who was crying.

Seohyun patted her thigh and bounced a little to make her stop crying. “Are you hungry, Sohee? You haven’t eaten anything, right?” Hearing the word ‘hungry’, the boys immediately dashed to the kitchen while Seohyun blinked with her sons’ action.

She lifted her shirt to feed Sohee. Not too long after that, her sons came while bringing something for Sohee.

“Sohee, oppa brought cookies for you.” Sehun brought a jar of their favorite cookies.

Oppa brought a yogurt for you. Yogurt is good for you.” Jongin opened the cover of the yogurt and took out the spoon.

“Here’s milk for you, Sohee. You need to drink milk if you want to grow up.” Taemin poked the banana milk carton with a straw.

Seohyun chuckled while looking at their enthusiastic about Sohee. She had a positive thought about her sons that they will become overprotective towards Sohee once she grows up. Well, she likes that but she wondered if she will be able to see Sohee’s marriage because of them. Being protective brothers, she’s sure that whoever wants to be with Sohee needs to go through her brothers first.

“Sohee can’t eat that yet.” Seohyun’s words led to a disappointment from them. Their face changed when their mother didn’t let Sohee to eat or drink that they brought for her. At the same time, Luhan came into the living room with a baby mattress. He saw the gloomy looks from the boys and asked why.

Eomma didn’t let Sohee to eat. Eomma said she’s hungry though.” Sehun said with a pout. Luhan looked at their hands. No wonder Seohyun said no even he will say the same thing too. Cookies? Yogurt? Banana milk? Their sister was just born and they’re going to give her this? Thank goodness that they didn’t know about this yet.

Luhan smiled and sat beside Seohyun while looking at Sohee who was Seohyun’s for milk. “This is Sohee’s food. She only can eat this. She can’t eat those yet.” Luhan pointed to Sohee and then he pointed to the cookies, yogurt and banana milk when he mentioned that she can’t eat that.

“Why she can’t eat these?” Always the curious Jongin who will ask that.

“She will get sick if she eats that.” Luhan answered.

Taemin, Jongin, and Sehun gasped with the word ‘sick’ coming from their father’s mouth. They went to Sohee who still for milk while rubbing their palms together. “I’m sorry, Sohee. Oppa didn’t know that this food will make you sick.” They apologized to her. It’s funny because Sohee had no idea what’s going on. “Bad food! You’re making Sohee sick. From now on, don’t get close to Sohee anymore.” They smacked their food and warned it like the food is alive or something.

Luhan face palmed looking at his sons’ action. He didn’t mean that. He took a deep breath and explained to them. Appa didn’t say that Sohee can’t eat these forever. Sohee will eat these when she grows up and she won’t get sick after that unless if you give her a lot.”

Their mouths were wide open when their father explained to them. Then, they looked at Sohee once again. They couldn’t get enough staring at her.

Appa, what is Sohee doing?” Taemin turned to his father.

“She’s eating her food.” Seohyun answered.

Taemin confused for a while. Eating? That doesn’t look like eating to him. “What food is that?”

“It’s milk.” She replied.

“Then, she can drink this, right eomma?” He raised his banana milk to his mother.

Seohyun shook her head. “This milk and that milk aren’t the same. Sohee isn’t suitable to drink banana milk yet.”

“Can we drink Sohee’s milk?” Sehun asked out of blue. Seohyun’s eyes widened when Sehun asked that question.

She shook her head again. “If you drink this then, Sohee can’t drink anymore. You don’t want that, right?” Sehun shook his head. “Besides, all of you 'ate' this when you were young.”

“Really? When? I don’t remember about that.” Taemin scratched his head thinking if he drank his mother’s milk before.

“When you were like her. I think Sehun doesn’t really drink eomma’s milk though. You were given powdered milk, right oppa?” She turned to Luhan. Luhan nodded. Seohyun was in coma after Sehun was born. That’s why he was given powdered milk although it could be dangerous to give him because he was a premature baby with only 7 months in the womb.

Sohee done and Seohyun put Sohee on her shoulder and patted her back gently to burp her. Meanwhile, the boys observed Seohyun’s exposed to see Sohee’s food. Sehun shamelessly touched it and squeezed it very hard making the milk squirted out causing the boys screeched because they felt like they were sprayed by water gun.

Luhan who was aware from that, quickly released Sehun’s hand from Seohyun’s . “Don’t do that again, understand?!” He scolded Sehun. Sehun looked down with a sad expression because his father scolded him. He looks like he wanted to cry.

Luhan took a box of tissue and wiped Taemin, Jongin, and Sehun first. Then, he wiped Seohyun’s tummy which had a little milk on it. He noticed the cast down look from Sehun and felt bad for raising his voice to him just now, especially in front of his brothers.

He pulled Sehun and made him sit on his lap. He cuddled him and talked to him slowly. “Sehun, don’t do that again, okay? I’m sorry. Are you crying?” Sehun shook his head but his tears fell on his father’s wrist and started to sniffle.

Luhan wiped his cheeks and rubbed his front gently. “Stop crying! You don’t want to look weak in front of Sohee, do you?” Sehun shook his head again.

“Then, stop crying and be a good oppa to her. Can you do that?” Sehun nodded.

Luhan turned Sehun to face him and hugged him. He must felt embarrassed because he was scolded in front of his brothers and perhaps in front of his sister too. “Say sorry to eomma.” Luhan told Sehun to beg forgiveness to Seohyun.

Eomma, I’m sorry.” Sehun apologized in between sniffle.

Seohyun ruffled Sehun’s hair with a smile. “It’s nothing, Sehun. Appa is just being overdramatic.” Seohyun said while giggling at her husband who was glaring at her.

“Sohee, do you want to take a bath?” Seohyun asked Sohee who was roaming her eyes around the living room.

“Do you think she will answer that?” Luhan mocked on Seohyun’s question to Sohee.

“If she is, I bet you will be the first person to run away.” She giggled while her husband glared at her again. She really enjoyed teasing him today.

Suddenly, there’s an unpleasant sound coming from Sohee indicating that she’s just defecate after drinking the milk.

“That means, she said yes and she wants her appa to change her diaper.” Seohyun said in a cute voice and gave Sohee to Luhan before she fled to upstairs.

“Thank you, Sohee appa!” She thanked him with a cheerful voice.

 


 

Seohyun felt uncomfortable to sleep that night. She felt pain on her chest and she knew what it is. She needs to go to the kitchen but Luhan back hugged her tightly while sleeping. Sohee was sleeping in her crib but attached to bed at Seohyun’s side so that it would be easier for Seohyun to feed her if she’s awake.

Seohyun tried to remove Luhan’s hand but as she tried remove it, his hug is getting tighter. She tried again but the result is still the same.

Oppa, I need to go to the kitchen now.” Seohyun whispered at Luhan while patting his cheek.

“Huh?!” He was half-awake when Seohyun asked him but she successfully removed his hand from her.

Oppa, look after Sohee. I will be right back.” She told Luhan softly but he probably didn’t hear anything what she said because he was sleeping.

Seohyun went down to the kitchen and took a pump to draw out her milk. It made her pain and uncomfortable since it became swollen due to too much milk. She attached the bottle to the pump and pumped her while waiting for the milk to draw out.

She was so sleepy and closed her eyes for a moment but woke up when she heard a sleepy voice coming to the dining room.

“What are you doing here?” Luhan asked in sleepy tone and yawned a little. He carried Sohee along with him but what made Seohyun surprise is that her eyes is round and big, meaning that she’s awake feeling fresh perhaps.

“Did she cry?” Seohyun didn’t answer Luhan’s question but instead asked about Sohee.

“No, she didn’t. I noticed that you were not at the bed and I thought that you’re going to the toilet. Then, you’re not there when I woke up again so I checked the toilet but you were not there as well. By the time I came out from the toilet, Sohee is awake. She didn’t cry but she’s making sounds.” Luhan explained to Seohyun.

Seohyun nodded. Luhan sat at his place while looking at the bottle that was half full filled with milk. “You’re surely produced a lot of milk for her.”

Seohyun blushed at Luhan’s statement. Well, it’s quite embarrassing. “I can’t keep it. It hurts a lot. It’s getting heavy and bigger.”

“But I like it. No, I love it!”

“ert.” Seohyun cringed at Luhan but he laughed at her.

Sohee began to cry a little. Luhan patted her thigh and bounced a little while swaying side to side slowly. “I think she needs your milk.”

Seohyun slapped his arm lightly and he chuckled at her blushed face. She already done draw out the milk and Sohee can use the other one. She took her from Luhan and positioned her before she lifted her shirt. “Here’s your milk, sweetie. You need to ease my pain.” Sohee for milk in hunger.

“You’re using her!” Luhan playfully accused Seohyun.

“Well, that’s what she used for now.” She stuck out her tongue to him.

Luhan turned his attention to the milk in the bottle. “I wonder how this milk tasted like. I really want to taste it.” He is so curious about the taste of milk. Is it the same as the milk that they bought at supermarket? For some reason, there’s an urge for him to taste it but he’s not sure whether he can taste it or not.

He remembered during the science class when he was in high school. His science teacher is a woman and she said to the girls that before gave their milk to their baby, they should give it to their husband first. That statement caused a shriek from the girls while the boys were laughing out loud.

Then, he asked his mother about that although he felt embarrass but she said that he can’t. He quietly asked his father but his father said that he can but not too much. That’s what made him confuse until now.

“Have you ever tasted it, Joohyun?” He asked his wife about that.

Seohyun froze in her position. Her face became redder than it is. She startled with her husband’s question whether she had tasted it or not. To tell the truth, she did. Like Luhan, she was curious how the milk tasted like.

It was when after she had the twins. She was 17 years old that time and she had to go to school. Her parents-in-law told her to save some milk for them because they were not fond giving a powdered milk to baby. After she had her milk in the bottle, she looked at it. She remembered that the color was lighter before but it looked so thick like powdered milk.

She wondered how the tasted like. Because of her curiosity, she decided to try it. She took a spoon and poured it from the bottle. She tasted it and didn’t know how to describe it. It’s sweet and creamy but that’s the only thing she could describe.

 


 

Because Sohee is their first child after 5 years, they were kind of forgotten how to look after the baby. It’s not that they forgotten everything but something like waking up late at night is definitely gave them a hard time.

They thought back then were probably easier because they have Luhan’s parents to help them but now they were doing it alone. Sohee sometimes can be easy to take care but sometimes she can’t. She cried a lot sometimes that turned her face into purple once. That made both of them worried so badly.

Sometimes, she can’t be left alone without her mother. Once she was asleep in the living room and Seohyun took this opportunity to eat since she didn’t eat for breakfast (it was lunch time). She asked Taemin, Jongin, and Sehun to look after Sohee. After 5 minutes, she cried again making Seohyun stopped eating and went to her.

Seohyun had a hard time to eat and even sleeping at night. She became skinny which made Luhan worry about her. Not to mention, their dark circle under their eyes getting worse like a panda. Luhan did help Seohyun most of the time but Sohee wants her mother for milk obviously. Because of that, Sohee gained weight but not that bad for a baby, and Seohyun lost her weight drastically.

“It looks like Sohee took all your fat, Joohyun.” Luhan told her after he looked at Sohee’s weight written in the baby report book.

Seohyun pouted while carrying the sleeping baby. “She wants to be healthy.”

“But you’re not healthy, Joohyun. Do you remember what Dr. Zhang said to you just now? You lost your weight too much. You should eat more. I know that you didn’t eat while I’m not around, right?” Luhan is very concerned about Seohyun. He fed her while carrying Sohee in her arms most of the time but he knew she won’t eat if he’s not there.

Another thing that they worried most is their sons. They knew that they really cared for their sister but the problem is when Sohee started to cry in the middle of the night, all three of them will wake up and came to their room to see Sohee.

Even though they told them to go back to sleep, they didn’t want to sleep until Sohee is sleeping. They had to go to school and kindergarten on the next day so if they slept late, it would be a huge problem. Once, Sohee fell asleep at 6.30a.m but the boys had to wake up to prepare to go to school and kindergarten.

Like their parents, they became sleepy while going there. Luhan and Seohyun received a lot of complaints from their teachers saying that they often sleeping in their class and their eyes looked droopy. They apologized to their teachers and explained what happened to them. The teachers understood that after looking at Luhan and Seohyun's condition, especially Seohyun who looked like a stick or perhaps she only left with skeleton inside her body.

However, it’s just for a while. It’s just about for a 6 months Sohee became like that. After that, she didn’t cry late at night and started to play with everyone. Of course the one who happy the most is her brothers that they finally able to play with her.

 

 

 

 

 


I think some parts sounded so inappropriate to you. Some that I've written here is based on my experience. Well, not me (I'm not married yet hahaha) but my sister. She had a daughter and my mom told me that my niece is just like her mother when she was young. But I think my sister's situation is a lot worse than this. My niece didn't want anyone else even her father except her mother. My experience is mostly couldn't sleep at night because of her crying and the fact that we're sleeping in the same room. Worst is that I had an exam for my final year in school.