Chapter 4

In the Car

 

Seohyun sat on the couch in the living room at her parents-in-law’s mansion while staring at the ceiling. When Luhan did the do’s and don’ts list, he forgotten that he can’t be with her all the time because he needs to go to work. He begged to his parents to allow him not to go to work until Seohyun gives birth. Of course his parents didn’t allow that but they let Seohyun to stay at the mansion until Luhan came back from work.

Luhan is very protect- no, overprotective towards Seohyun. He didn’t allow her to do almost everything. He would attach to her no matter where she goes. They even took a bath together and he didn’t allow her to go to take a bath while he’s not around. That means Seohyun had to wait until he came back for her to take a bath.

If she breaks the rules, she had to answer everything to Luhan like a police did an interrogation to a suspect. Luhan would call her for every 15 minutes when he was at work to ask if she’s fine or if she wants anything. There was one time when she didn’t answer his call because she was sleeping and her phone was on silent, she surprised when he woke her up knowing that he was supposed at office now. He was worried that she didn’t answer her phone and afraid that something has happened to her.

Seohyun wished that Luhan would be less overprotective to her. She felt like she was living in a cage. Knowing Luhan, he won’t do that. He did this to protect her and their baby. Both of them are precious to him so he needs to look after them very well.

Luhan came back from work and Seohyun welcomed him with a hug. She was on 5 months pregnant and her tummy started to get slightly bigger. He let go of the hug and rubbed her tummy.

“Where are the boys?” He asked her since the house is unusually quiet today.

“They’re sleeping.” Seohyun told him. They were tired after playing with the butlers.

Both of them went to Luhan’s room and they started with their welcome kiss. “I’ve got promoted as the manager today.” Luhan said while removing his coat and loosened his tie.

“Congratulation!” Seohyun congratulated him with a beam. She was so happy that he finally and officially starts working after he was under training for a pass few months. “When are you going to start?” She gave a peck to his lips.

“I’m not sure. I need to find a secretary first before I start working.” He returned to peck her on lips. Then, he kissed her cheek and forehead. “There will be an interview for this job tomorrow.” He continued while ing his shirt.

Seohyun didn’t know why but she didn’t like it when Luhan told her that he’s looking for a secretary to help him. That means a lady will work with him and she didn’t like that. Is she felt jealous or because of her pregnancy that made her feel like this?

She brought back to her sense when Luhan shook her shoulder. She didn’t realized that he asked her that if she wanted to take a bath with him. She nodded and changed her clothes.

After Luhan told her that he needed a secretary, Seohyun kept quiet most of the time. She didn’t speak anything to Luhan and Luhan felt worried about that. He worried if she had any problem so he asked her, “Do you have any problem, Joohyun? You don’t look fine.”

Should she tell him that she’s jealous about the secretary thing? She knew that he will but she really hates it if Luhan is with other girl even for work purpose. He will say that she won’t look at any other girls but other girls will flirt with him for sure. “I’m fine, oppa. It’s just a little bit tired.” Luhan knew that she’s hiding something but he didn’t want to force her.

 


 

“Next!” Mr. Lu shouted to call the next person for interview as Luhan’s secretary. So far, this is the tenth person that they have been interviewed and none of them were fit their criteria. There are three interviewers that will conduct the interview; Mr. Lu, Mrs. Lu and Luhan.

A young lady entered with big smile. She walked to the chair and sat on it. “Please give me your resume and certificate.” She walked to Mr. Lu and gave her resume and certificate to him. She took a glance at Luhan and admired his handsome looks.

Mr. Lu gave some of her certificate to Mrs. Lu and Luhan. Mr. Lu began to interview her and she answered quite well. When it’s Luhan’s turn to interview her, she stammered while answering and started to make a cute gesture to attract Luhan. Then, Mrs. Lu interviewed her in which she barely could answer to Mrs. Lu.

“Alright, Ms. Park! That’s all for now. You may leave and we will give the result in a few days.” Mr. Lu ended the interview and she bowed to them but her eyes were on Luhan.

Once she went out, Mr. Lu and Luhan turned to Mrs. Lu and she shook her head to both of them indicating that girl is rejected as well. Luhan sighed while leaning his back on the seat. It’s really hard to find a secretary for him who really dedicated to her work. “I highly doubt those girls who coming here wanted to work.” Mrs. Lu said.

Mr. Lu nodded in agrees as he could understand what she’s trying to say and meant. Those girls who came here just want to work with Luhan not to help him with works. “If this one is also not what we’re looking for, we have to do another interview tomorrow.” Mr. Lu turned to Luhan who was looking tired after sitting on the chair for too long.

Luhan had no choice but to nod at his father. He was so tired and sleepy. He realized that he didn’t call Seohyun at all for today. He wanted to call her but at the same time he wants to focus on this interview as well. What is Seohyun doing now?

“This is the last one. Should we let her in?” Mr. Lu asked for Mrs. Lu and Luhan’s approval to let the last person to enter. “Next!” Mr. Lu shouted after Mrs. Lu and Luhan nodded in approval.

Luhan sat straight and fixed his clothes. He hoped that this last person is the one that he’s looking for so that they don’t have to do another interview tomorrow.

The door was opened revealing a tall young lady with a fair skin and long hair entered the room. The three interviewers stunned with the lady that appeared in front of them. She sat on the chair and introduced herself. “Hello! My name is Seo Joohyun.” Seohyun said in confidence without forgetting to smile.

They froze as they can’t believe that Seohyun is there. Luhan has a mixed feelings right now; mad, worried, wonder, happy, basically everything. What is she doing here? Why she came here knowing that she’s pregnant right now? But Seohyun as a secretary won’t be so bad, right? She looks so professional even just by looking.

Mr. Lu cleared his throat and started to interview her. Even though Seohyun is his daughter-in-law, he can’t do a special treatment to her. Mr. Lu asked about her background mostly. What made him surprised is that Seohyun is able to speak English, Chinese and Japanese fluently. He knew her for 8 years and this is the first time he found out that she could speak those languages. Even Luhan didn’t know about that either.

“Where did you learn Chinese and Japanese?” Mr. Lu asked her. He never heard her speaking one of those languages especially Chinese since his family is pure Chinese.

“I learnt Chinese and Japanese during my junior high and high school days. It’s compulsory for the students in my school to take these classes. My principal encouraged the students to speak more than one language. He added that it will be useful in the future and we can work in foreign country if we know how to speak their language fluently.” Seohyun explained to Mr. Lu.

“May I test you with Chinese language?” Mr. Lu asked her permission to test her Chinese. He began to ask her in Chinese in which Seohyun replied fluently in Chinese. Luhan couldn’t take his eyes of her. Before this, it was the girl who looked at him but now it’s his turn to look at his wife. He was so impressed with her.

Now, it’s Luhan turn to interview her. Mostly, he asked about the work of secretary. He asked the importance of the work, how she will handle if there’s any emergency happen and so on. Most of the girls that he interviewed earlier will do some of flirty or cute gesture to attract Luhan but Seohyun looked so serious all the time and she answered confidently. It was so weird for Seohyun to act serious in front of him.

After that, Mrs. Lu asked her about the general knowledge. A lot of the girls earlier could barely answer this but Seohyun answered it very well. She even elaborated some answers even though she didn’t have to do that. All three of them were amazed with her answers to every question.

“Do you have any question?” Mr. Lu turned to Luhan and he nodded. He had a lot of question to ask her.

“Why did you apply this job?” Luhan question seemed like a personal question. Seohyun knew it that he would ask that.

“My husband did not allow me to do a lot of works because I’m pregnant. However, I felt really bored doing nothing at home while my husband is tired after he came back from work.” It looks like they act like a stranger when Seohyun answered that.

“Doesn’t your husband feel angry if he finds out that you’re working with a handsome boss?” Luhan asked while posing himself.

“I will be angrier if my husband is working with pretty girls.” She answered with an annoyed reaction but Luhan’s heart fluttered inside. She came here to interview because she didn’t want to see him working with other girls.

“How many kids do you have?

“I have three boys.”

“You’re expecting?” He asked about the baby in her tummy.

“I don’t mind whether this baby is a girl or boy. All I want is that this baby to be healthy.” She said while rubbing her tummy.

“I have three boys too and my wife is pregnant as well. I haven’t told her but this time I want a baby girl since we have three boys.” Seohyun’s eyes widened when Luhan said that he wants a baby girl. Come to think of it, she wants a baby girl as well but she is afraid if the baby is boy again.

Mr. Lu cleared his throat. “Are you done?” He eyed Luhan and Seohyun who seems to have a personal conversation. Luhan nodded and gave a way for his father to talk. “Congratulation, Seohyun! You’re hired as Luhan’s secretary.”

Seohyun surprised with Mr. Lu’s announcement. “But sir, I was told that the result will come out a few days after the interview. Why did you tell me that I’m already hired?” She didn’t understand about that. It’s quite common that they have to wait for result to know that they’re hired or not.

“We decided to hire you because the way you answered all the questions that we asked. Don’t worry. We’re not hiring you just because you’re our daughter-in-law or you’re my son’s wife. We’re hiring you because the way you conduct this interview is very professional. For example, the way you answered to Luhan. All girls that we interviewed just now were acting weird when Luhan interviewed them but you; his wife, acted very professional and the way you answered your personal conversation with Luhan is the same. You didn’t talk to him like how both of you talk at home but you politely answered him in formal manner.” Mr. Lu explained to Seohyun.

“Another thing is that your language ability. Most girls knew how to speak English only but most of them have a problem when it comes to converse. I decided to ask you in Chinese since it different from the rest and it’s really difficult language as well but you mastered it. You have perfect pronunciations which is the most frequent mistakes when it comes to speaking in Chinese.” He continued.

“I accept this but with one condition.” Seohyun’s words making all of them silent. “Please don’t tell them that I’m Mr. Luhan’s wife.”

“No!” Luhan disagreed with that. After they hid their relationship at college, Luhan didn’t want to hide about this anymore. “Why do you want to hide, Joohyun? I don’t understand that.”

“If they know that I’m Mr. Luhan’s wife, they will say that I got this job because I’m Mr. Luhan’s wife. There’s no point to do this interview if you picked me. It seems like you choose me because of that.” She tried to explain to them. “We can tell them why we chose you.” Luhan tried to convince her.

“It won’t work that way. People’s mouth can’t be closed no matter what we do. It’s better for them not to know about this.” Mr. Lu agreed with Seohyun much to Luhan’s protest. However, after thought for a while, Luhan understood why Seohyun did that. He remembered clearly what happened to her when her pregnancy was revealed to everyone and they insulted her. It can cause stress to her. That’s why he didn’t want her to do anything.

 


 

Seohyun started her work as Luhan’s secretary. Her table was placed outside. It was Mr. Lu request. At first, Luhan requested to put Seohyun in the same room with him. Knowing Luhan, he won’t do his work if Seohyun is around and he will be with Seohyun most of the time. That’s why he did that.

Most of Luhan’s workers are female at around 20s which Seohyun didn’t like. They flirted with Luhan and some of them even flirted in front of her.

Luckily Luhan ignored them. He had a cold face when he met everyone but when it comes to Seohyun, he smiled; a very genuine smile. That makes a lot of girls were jealous with Seohyun.

Luhan took care of Seohyun a lot. He would ask her to have lunch with him and he made healthy drinks for her. Seohyun noticed that everyone started to talk about her so she told Luhan not to take her for lunch anymore but he didn’t like that. In the end, Seohyun made a lunch box for him.

Luhan also purposely called Seohyun just for fun. Seohyun felt annoyed because he’s not serious while working. Actually, Luhan worried if she’s too stress with her work and he didn’t like it when she said that she’s tired.

“I don’t understand how she makes Luhan oppa smiles at her. He never smiles at us. Did she even realize that she has a husband and now she’s pregnant? She’s cheating with her husband.” Seohyun heard one of the worker grumbled about her. She flinched when she called Luhan as oppa. Even she hates it so much. What would be Luhan’s reaction when one of his workers called him oppa even he doesn’t really know her?

Suddenly, she heard someone cleared his throat and surprised when Luhan is just behind that worker who complained about her just now. “Oh, boss! Is there anything that you need?” She fixed her hair so that she looked good for Luhan. “Come to my office now.” He told her. That girl was so happy and she applied a lipstick on her lips. She even sprayed a perfume to all over her body and walked to Luhan’s office.

Seohyun really hates that. She felt like she wanted to kill that girl now. How dare she want flirt with Luhan!

Not too long after that, that girl came out from Luhan’s office with tears flowed through her cheeks. She went straight away to Seohyun’s table. “You! I hate you! Because of you, I got scolded from the boss. I don’t care what happen. I’m going to find your husband and tell him that you’re having an affair with our boss.” That girl threatened her.

Luhan heard the commotion outside the office and saw that girl that he scolded just now threatened Seohyun. He went to Seohyun and helped her to stand up from her chair. He rubbed her tummy casually and everyone murmured with their boss’s action.

He turned to that girl with a mad look. “Have some respect to pregnant woman, please!” He reprimanded her. “She’s your boss’s wife. You have no right to raise your voice to her.” He continued before took Seohyun to his office leaving all the workers dumbfounded.

 


 

Luhan took Seohyun to the clinic to do a check up on her and their baby. Seohyun lied on the bed and pulled the dress up revealing her big tummy.

Dr. Zhang applied the gel on Seohyun’s tummy for ultrasound. She placed the device and rolled around her tummy to find the baby.

“Look! It’s the baby’s head.” Dr. Zhang told Luhan and Seohyun and they looked on the sonogram. It was really touching for them to see their baby moving in Seohyun’s tummy. They couldn’t stop looking at their baby and hopefully that the baby will be healthy until Seohyun gives birth.

“It’s a baby girl.” Dr. Zhang announced to them.

“Really?” They asked disbelief. Dr. Zhang nodded at them. Words couldn’t be described how happy they is when their baby is a girl. They really want a girl this time so this news made them happy so much.

“I’m glad it’s a girl this time. I really want a girl since we have three boys.” Luhan held Seohyun’s hand and kissed at the back of her hand. Seohyun’s tear came out from her eyes. She didn’t know why she’s crying but it’s a happy tears. Luhan wiped her tears with a smile.

 


 

After leaving the clinic, Luhan took Seohyun along with Taemin, Jongin, and Sehun to shopping mall to buy baby stuffs. Once they reached at the baby section, Seohyun didn’t know if she was the one who pregnant or Luhan because he was so eager to buy the baby stuffs. Most of the stuffs that he picked are pink which is not wrong because it’s a baby girl but with everything is pink sometimes it would make her go crazy. Luhan picked pink baby bottles, pink pacifiers, pink bibs, everything in pink.

“Joohyun, I think I want to buy a crib for our baby. Let’s go!” He dragged Seohyun to the crib section. He started to search to find which one he likes. “Joohyun, what do you think about this one?” He showed a crib that was painted in pink with pink mattress.

Seohyun sighed. It looks like she had no choice but to agree with him. What’s next? Paint the whole house into pink?

He dragged her to the clothes section and Luhan didn’t know which one to buy. The baby girl clothes are so cute and pretty. If possible, he would love to buy all baby girl clothes in the whole store. His personal favorite would be the dress. The skirt is so cute not to mention how small it is.

“Joohyun, what do you think about this dress?” Luhan asked Seohyun about the pink dress that he was holding right now.

Seohyun’s eyes widened. Oppa, that’s for 2 years old. Our baby is not even born yet.” What in the world Luhan wants to buy a 2 years old dress for their baby who still in 7 months in her mother’s tummy.

“But this dress is so pretty. We won’t find this once our baby turned to 2 years old.” Luhan pouted when Seohyun didn’t want him to buy this dress. Looking at Luhan’s pout, she knew that she can’t say anything so she let him buy it. Luhan thanked Seohyun happily for letting him to buy that dress.

Luhan is not the only one who excited to buy the baby stuffs, her sons too. They brought pink teddy bears and toys to the cashier. Well, Luhan told them to buy anything in pink. Seohyun understood their sons’ happiness to have a sister soon. She wondered what kind of brother they will become to their one and only sister.