Chapter 9

Namsong Hours

Mino caught Taehyun’s glance over Jinhwan’s shoulder and it felt to Mino as though it was the single most heartbreaking thing not just for the younger guy but also for himself. It felt even more so when Hanbin came up to put his arm around Taehyun’s shoulders again.

 

Taehyun flinched immediately for a moment and broke the glance he held with Mino and look at he guy beside him before fixing his gaze permamently down at his feet.

 

Jinwoo was boiling his rage and distate on a small flame and quickly wedged his way between Taehyun and Hanbin all the while looking at the newcomer frostily.

 

Jinhwan was oblivious to all that was happening when he detached himself from Mino to turn to the group of people assembled at the main hall of the Summer House.

 

Jinhwan immediately knew something strange must have happened from just one look of all the faces in the room.

 

Seunghyun was clutching at his blackberry, looking pale and nervous. Mino was staring at Taehyun who was staring at his feet. Jinwoo and Seunghoon were looking Hanbin as if threatening him to come closer to their maknae. Seunghyun was communicating silently with the prince while some of the guards shuffled their feet anxiously.

 

“Did something happen?” Jinhwan asked.

 

Mino and Seunghyun were not entirely on the same page as they continued exchanging looks.

 

“Something happened when we were at the festival just now.” Seunghyun finally spoke after taking a deep breath.

 

“Someone tried to shoot at us.”  Seunghyun reported grimly.

 

“Oh my gosh! Are all of you all right?” Jinhwan was shocked at the alarming news and quickly did a sweep of everyone around.

 

“Are you alright?” Seungyoon quickly turn towards all s around and check for any injuries. Suddenly, the exasperation he had over s' action and whatever script he had prepared in his head just left him. He was just relieved that none of them were injured.

 

“I am fine. Don’t worry, Agent Seunghyun protected us very well. We are very grateful.” Jinwoo patted Seungyoon’s shoulder, wanting to ease his worry, much to the amusement of Taehyun and Seunghoon who just looked on knowingly.

 

“Someone tried to kill you.” Jinhwan repeated again and this time his attention was on Mino.

 

“I am fine. We are fine, just really peachy. We will be returning to Seoul tomorrow so now just let us all go grab some much needed sleep.”

 

Mino stomped up the stair after bowing at everyone. Jinhwan followed swiftly him, “Why are you so grumpy?”

 

“I am not grumpy. I am not at all grumpy.” Mino answered without looking at him.


“Isn’t it nice for Hanbin to come out all the way here for Taehyun?” Jinhwan commented at he followed Mino down the hallway lading to their respective rooms.

 

“I guess so.” Mino answered half-heartedly.

 

“Doesn’t…”

 

“Jinhwan! Please!” Mino interrupted when they reached his room. Turning, he stared at the guy's surprised face and realized that none of anything was his fault.

 

“I had a terrible, terrible day. We all had. Let’s just go to sleep ok?”

 

Jinhwan’s smile was slightly tainted, “You have been awfully moody ever since you returned.”

 

“Did something else happen?” Jinhwan asked softly.

 

“I very nearly got shot today. Don’t you think that is something already?”

 

Jinhwan did not look overly impressed. He just looked at Mino for a moment before asking, “Why are the three Winner members here anyway?”

 

“Hanbin invited Taehyun and s but he got held up in Seoul.” Mino thought of the excuse on the fly hoping Jinhwan would just buy it and be done with the interrogation.

 

“Why didn’t you ask me along then?” Jinhwan then asked indeed buying the reason.

 

“You were in USA with your father.” Mino emphasized. “You have company issues to settle with your dad. Remember?”

 

“Hmmm…” He still seems bothered. “Well, I better be going to bed. I am so glad you are fine and everything is okay. Good night, Mino.”

 

He stepped forward to peck his cheek.

 

“Good night.” Mino answered gruffly before he slipped into his room.

 

He let himself leaned against the door then slowly sliding down until he sat on the floor and angled his legs so that he was hugging them as close to his body as he possible could.

 

The whole situation with himself, Taehyun, Jinhwan and Hanbin was driving him absolutely crazy. The main plan was if anything or something threatened to connect Taehyun with Mino then Hanbin will step in and claim to be Taehyun’s partner. However, to really see that really happening in front of his eyes, it was more painful than he expected it to be. It was way more painful...

 

It felt like the most painful thing he had to experience again since the death of his eldest brother. It was a strange, dull knot of pain and ache that echoed deep in his cheat, right at his heart.

 

That was how it felt to him if he was being entirely and brutally honest with himself.

 

He stumbled into his room and headed towards the balcony. Fresh air and the limitless starry sky would do him good. He needed that.

 

The garden offered the wide expanse of space in the darkness. Lanterns were glowing softly and Mino could see the gazebo on the hill in the distance. Some of the rooms were lighted as the occupants prepared for bed. He caught movement in the garden and much to his surprise, he saw Taehyun stepping outside, walking around for a little bit before finally sitting down on the threshold that led from his room to the outside.

 

He could see the younger’s face clearly how his shoulders lifted then dropped and he let out a heavy sigh.

 

The members had a good talk with each other, updating Seungyoon about what happened here during his absence. Taehyun knew Seungyoon badly wanted to nag but for once he did not after knowing the near death scare the three of them had. Still, his mind still weighed heavily for Taehyun. It felt as though a heavy rock was buried deep in his mind and he could not carry it to throw it away no matter how hard he had been trying.

 

Then Taehyun heard a voice and turned around to see the person joining behind him.

 

“Are you alright?” It was Hanbin.

 

Taehyun watched quietly as Hanbin emerged from the shadows behind, his hands was shoved into the pockets of his jeans. He was nervous, Taehyun could tell clearly, and concerned too.

 

“There was a lot going on today.” Taehyun said as he scooted to the side so that Hanbin could sit beside him.

 

“I know but are you alright?” Hanbin asked again and this time his concern was genuine and awfully sincere.

 

For a moment, Taehyun could only just stare at the guy sitting beside him looking surprised. Usually, this was a question that s would ask even though he would not openly share. He also had an inkling that beneath Mino’s anger and bottled up emotions, he was, in his own little way, concerned about him too.

 

However, it was strange to finally hear concern from Hanbin who was largely an unrelated party in this whole ty and complicated mess.

 

Taehyun distinctively remembered Hanbin. He was the boy that was always lurking behind Mino’s shadow. He was a prince himself but a lower prince and was always being compared to Mino since they were around the same age.  However, Siwon and Jiyong hyung were always very fond of him.

 

“I am fine. Really. Thank you for asking.” Taehyun offered a small smile.

 

“He must really like Jinhwan a lot to get you to pose as my partner just so Jinhwan won’t suspect anything.” Taehyun murmured as he looked up to see the starry sky, staring at nothing in particular.

 

Hanbin looked at Taehyun and wondered internally whether he should tell him the whole actual situation. It was complicated, no doubt about it. Taehyun had and always been very perceptive and logical but he misread the true meaning behind Mino’s intentions and actions.

 

Of course, there were also Hanbin’s own intentions as well. Else, he would not have been a part of the plan in the first place.

 

“What are your thoughts or opinions about this?”

 

Taehyun turned and looked at him, “What do I think?”

 

“Yes, what do you think.” He nodded.

 

“Well… it is complicated.” Taehyun answered carefully.

 

“What would un-complicate it then?”

 

Taehyun laughed somewhat bitterly, “That is so easy… very easy in fact.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Of course, you just need two very simple things. Just two things.” Taehyun stopped laughing and started to count.

 

“He still loves me. Or.” He raised another finger. “He does not love me anymore. Everything else in between is what making the situation so complicated.” Taehyun answered thoughtfully.

 

“You don’t know where you stand. You are getting hurt maybe for nothing…” Taehyun shrugged as he continued. “Or maybe for everything... Seriously, I just wish he would just talk to me.”  

 

“You are indulging him too much.” Hanbin said, suddenly depressed as he leaned back on his spot.

 

“Hmmm, I am probably… but he deserves some indulgence. His brother died.” Taehyun said like it was the most common and sensible thing to do.

 

For some time, both of them did not speak anything else. Each of them was lost in their own traces of thought. Hanbin thought of Mino and Jinhwan.

 

“Why is your face like that?” Taehyun suddenly pointed at him.

 

“Like what?”

 

“Like angry... Did someone annoy you, Hanbin?”

 

Hanbin gulped heavily, Mino was such as idiot. Did he really did not want him anymore? Well, he did but things were complicated.

 

“Hey, do you want to see something?” He suddenly suggested to Taehyun.

 

“Hmm, what?”

 

Taehyun looked on curiously as he saw Hanbin got up to go to the wall of the house and click a few of the switches in the gray box attached to it. Suddenly, the garden was illuminated with the thin string of lights along the main pathway.

 

“I don’t know how to activate the bigger lights but these ones I know. Want to take a walk?” Hanbin muttered looking a little sheepish.

 

Taehyun sat where he was, casting the guy a very long and thoughtful glance.

 

"I probably shouldn't." He finally answered.

 

"It is late and we are going to leave tomorrow and..."

 

"Just a walk." Hanbin smiled.Tthe hope and vervousness on his face were heartbreaking. "I will make sure you will come back safely. Scout's honor." He added good naturedly.

 

“I guess I could use a walk.” Taehyun agreed finally as he stood up.

 

Mino was right. The garden indeed offered a magnificent view of the landscape from the balcony of his room. However, one cannot deny that Mino had a very keen sense of hearing.

 

He carefully made his way back inside the room after closing the door that led to the balcony. He then proceeded to smash everything that was breakable within the entire room.

 

After that, he did felt better. In fact, he felt a lot better.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

After knowing what s just gone through earlier in the evening, one could safely say that Seungyoon had an epiphany. He realized that life was too short to not take any risk not be in the pursuit on their own happiness.

 

He needed to let Jinwoo knew how he felt before it was too late.

 

“Seungyoon-ah, you wanted to talk to me?” Jinwoo’s voice echoed behind him, halting the leader’s thoughts abruptly.

 

“I just wanted to make sure you are okay.”

 

“Yes I am Seungyoon. Like I said just now Agent Seunghyun really protected us and made sure we made it back here safely.”

 

Jinwoo smiled and just as he was about to reach out and pat Seunhyoon’s hand but suddenly the leader was faster and before Jinwoo realized, his hands were already in Seungyoon’s

 

Seungyoon’s mind went blank and suddenly it was like all the fancy words left him and he could even string a proper sentence to save his life. Therefore, he opted for the most timless and simple words and there will never be any mistranslation to its meaning.

 

“I love you hyung.”

 

Jinwoo could not help but smiled radiantly. Finally after all these time...

 

“I love you too, Seungyoon-ah.”

 

Just as they were about to lean in for a kiss, their special moment was rudely interrupted by the loud hollering from both Mino and Hanbin. Forgetting whatever they wanted to do, Seungyoon and Jinwoo rushed upstairs to the scene.

 

When they arrived at the location, a fight was already in full blown mode.

 

“He is mine. How dare you touch him!?” Mino seethed in anger, his  lower lip was already bleeding.

 

“You cast him away and got yourself a boyfriend.” Hanbin retorted before he ducked Mino’s blow and delivered one to Mino’s cheek.

 

“You have no idea what you are talking about. How dare you even think of stealing him?! AWAY!” Mino blocked with both of his fist and managed to land one on Hanbin’s chin and another to his gut.

 

“You don’t have any claim on him!”

 

Mino was about to take another swing when suddenly out of nowhere, a body was thrown in between the two bleeding men.

 

“What on earth on you doing!” Taehyun shouted at him. One hand he grabbed Hanbin’s wrist and another hand grabbed Mino’s wrist, effectively breaking up the fight between two hot tempered men.

 

“I think you broke his nose. Just what the hell are you thinking?” Taehyun asked again.

 

Mino stared at Taehyun for a long blank moment and  then he felt the terrible rage creeping back in again, “Get out of my way, Nam Taehyun.”

 

“No.”

 

“Taehyun, leave.”

 

“No.”

 

“Out of my way.”

 

Mino growled and stepped forward to forcibly pushed the younger guy away but years of mixed martial arts training had Taehyun quickly side stepping him to grab both his hands.

 

“No and you seemed to forgotten I can beat you into pulp in a matter of minutes.” Taehyun warned. His voice was dangerously low and soft. Mino was surprised that despite Taehyun's smaller frame, his grip was so tight and strong.

 

The silence that followed the words seemed to extend endlessly as they stared at each other. One with blind jealousy and rage whereas the other was determined yet concerned for the other bleeding mess of a guy.

 

“Fine. Have it your way then.” Mino finally whispered. The words were caught in his throat and his anger was so clearly written all over his face.

 

There was a tiny sound, like a bell falling onto the ground. However, Mino had already gone down the hallway and disappeared. Seunghyun quickly moved forward to tend to the bleeding mess that was once Hanbin when Taehyun managed to locate and find the cause of that tinkling sound.

 

He picked up a silvery ring from the floor. It was a simple ring with diamonds spaced equal distance apart all round the band. It was clearly a man’s ring – and fitted his finger perfectly.

 

As Taehyun looked closer inside the ring to see the inscription, the words engraved only made everything that had happened all the more confusing…

 

For Nammie, from Mino. With love...

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

Hihi, back with the lastest update... hope you all will like it... no silent readers please, would like to hear your thoughts.. lots of things happening at once... hope you will stay tuned as there are more to come...