Chapter 11

Namsong Hours

Taehyun struggled against the water, the currents and the coldness that reached deep into his bones like a physical blow.  The waters rolled around him, him in deeply before spitting him out again. He tried to get his bearings, to find out where the light was but he kept getting the feeling of falling deeper and deeper.

 

Something grazed his arm making him flinched away.

 

Was it… algae? Was it some really big fish? Could it be something else that was lurking in the darkness altogether?

 

That something touched Taehyun again and this time it grasped his arm.

 

Taehyun struggled against that something, against the panic of air running out. He trashed and kicked until another hand held him and the other held his waist. Blindly, he reached out to the thing that was holding him only to touch someone’s neck and a chin. Taehyun realized that it was Mino who pulled the younger guy towards him as they head towards the light.

 

When Taehyun saw him, his hair covering one eye, his lips were drawn in a worried line. Taehyun suddenly felt like crying.

 

Mino interpreted that meaning completely the opposite way, “Are you alright?” He asked worriedly, “Are you hurting?”

 

“I am fine.” Taehyun managed. “But you are not!”

 

The glance he gave Taehyun seemed to say he was holding the younger guy responsible for being shot. They managed to get on safe ground under their feet and reached the river bank. Up on the bridge, the two vans were turned upside down while another was emitting smoke.

 

They would not make out any people. The bridge was already far and the edge of the river seamed with a thick forest.

 

“We have to phone the ambulance.” Taehyun whispered.

 

“We have to go up there and…”

 

A sharp sound cut through the cold air. Mino immediately ducked pulling Taehyun down with him. Then, they saw him, the baseball cap and all – he shot again, once, twice and this time it was Taehyun who pulled Mino with him towards the trees.

 

Once they were out of sight, they listened to the lurking silence, waiting for them to break it.
 

“He is hunting us!” Mino whispered, holding on to Taehyun’s shoulders.

 

“We can’t go back up there. He will see us and…”

 

His voice faded.

 

Another shot rang out.

 

Much to Mino’s surprise, Taehyun pressed him against the tree, his hands grasping the lapels of his jacket. Taehyun peek around the corner trying to see the gunman’s location.

 

Their clothes were cold and wet and it clung to their bodies in the most uncomfortable way. Mino could clearly feel the warmth of Taehyun’s body and the way it was…

 

He squeezed his eyes shut. This was clearly not the place or the timing or anything… and he was not going to remember the night he held him, just to find out what if

 

Mino pushed Taehyun away, holding him at arms length. That promptly earned him a startled and a slightly hurt glance from the younger guy.

 

“We can’t up there. He will definitely see us but I know where we are. If we move west, we will encounter a small village and maybe we can call for help there.”

 

“Are you sure you know how to navigate out of these woods?” Taehyun asked with thin eyes. “Plus you are still bleeding. We need to get you out of these clothes.”

 

In the distance, something cracked. Someone had broken a piece of wood. Maybe while trying to make their way through the woods as well.

 

“Boy scout.” Mino answered cheekily.

 

Taehyun rolled his eyes. “Let’s go then.”

 

Mino was moving rather quickly at first but when it grew darker quickly and with the cold biting wind, he slowed down a lot.

 

“Minho…” Taehyun called out when Mino had to sit down for a moment holding on to his chest.

 

Mino shook his head. “It is nothing.” He managed but everything in his mind was screaming “It is everything!”

 

In the distance, Taehyun thought he heard someone called out but he could not be sure. Looking onward where the small winding path disappeared into the darkness, he could spot a faint glow of light. Hope glimmered in him – and he believed he could smell food and burned wood. He wondered if it was the village that Mino spoke of.

 

When Taehyun turned back, Mino was supporting his weight by putting his arm onto his legs and holding his head. His hands were aimless combing through his hair and he could see an uncomfortable expression on his face.

 

He was in pain.

 

“Minho?”

 

Mino did not move when he drew closer. Something was wrong, Taehyun could tell.

 

His face glowed in the darkness – unnaturally stemming from a paleness that looked disconcerting. He reached out to touch his face but weakly groggily, he slapped his hands away.

 

The movement stung like a blade of a knife but Taehyun was too stubborn to give up. He tried again and this time, Mino’s missed by a mile, lifeless and weak.

 

A sudden cold fear surged through the younger guy as he crouched down and touched his face.

 

Mino’s hair had dried but his face was unnaturally warm. His clothes should have dried already but yet he could feel wetness there.

 

Strange and warm kind of wetness.

 

“You are such an idiot.” Taehyun whispered. He did not even need to watch. He knew, it was not rocket science.

 

It was blood. Life was dripping out of him and it was soaking up his entire shirt.

 

“You have to move!” Taehyun said as he hoisted Mino to his feet.

 

The prince was unwilling. “He won’t shoot you. He is after me.” He said without even looking at Taehyun.

 

Taehyun had never been a violent person but at that very moment in the middle of the night when it was approaching midnight, he was seriously considering beating him into a pulp.

 

“Seriously, you are picking this moment to be a gentlemen?” Taehyun asked, using his strength, he threw himself against him and made Mino stand up.

 

Mino would not.

 

“Just leave me,” Mino said, his chin had fallen to his chest making his face shrouded among the shadows. “I will hide, he won’t be able to find me.”

 

“And I would not be able to find you either.” Taehyun said pulling his arm. “Minho! You need to get up!”

 

“I can’t” Mino muttered and slumped to his side and fell when the younger actually let go.  

 

“No, no, no, no, you can’t! Mino.” He turned him on his back and shook him. The feeling of fear had gotten company – panic. Taehyun tried to make Mino look at him but his eyes already fluttered close.

 

“You can’t die on me, you hear? You just can’t! How am I supposed to face your parents? Your brother!” His voice was sinking towards total devastation. “This country cannot lose another prince!”

 

Mino did not even react.

 

“Mino…” Taehyun wailed, shaking him and punching his chest with useless fists. He just would not move. Mino just lay there with his handsome face stoic and cold.

 

Silence laced with anger and desperation filled. Then…

 

“MINO!”

 

The word was a desperate cry filled with choked tears and shattered hopes for the future. Mino was slipping away and Taehyun knew it. Mino was leaving and…

 

“I don’t think you should be shouting at this time of the night. People are sleeping or trying to sleep.”

 

Taehyun jumped a mile at the voice just next to him. He turned and out pure simple reflex, delivered a left hook.

 

“Owww!”

 

The man was obviously not out to harm him, staggered back while holding his chin.

 

“I am sorry!” Taehyun managed. “I was startled and I…” He needed to calm down. “Can you help my friend?”

 

“Are you going to punch me again?” The man asked.

 

“I am sorry, really sorry.” Taehyun motioned towards Mino while trying to wrestle down the feelings of shame, embarrassment, raw fear, panic and… something else pertaining to the prince.

 

“Can you help my friend?”

 

“He is bleeding and needs medical help.” The man said shining his flashlight towards Mino.

 

“I know. Will you be able to help him?”

 

The man smiled kindly. “Of course I can.” He said picking Mino up onto his back and started to walk.

 

“My grandparents live not far from here. They can patch him up but medical help is far from here. You are a long way from the next village or the city.”

 

“Please just help us. He can’t die.” Taehyun answered, bowing.

 

The young man stared at Taehyun for a long time. For a moment, Taehyun thought he might recognise him as the idol. But he did not. He just smiled at him kindly.

 

“My name is Kang Minhyuk. Nice to meet you.”  

 

“Nice to meet you, I am Nam Taehyun.”

 

Minhyuk smiled, “What is his name?”

 

“Song Minho.” Taehyun answered immediately and regretted it. Did he know? Did he recognise him?

 

In the distance, something cracked, the sound sending a warning to them.

 

“You are being followed.” He said as he marched forward. Mino’s head rolled lifelessly onto his shoulder. “Is that the guy who injured him?” Minhyuk’s eyes were a bit suffering only because of the weight but otherwise, it was clear and kind.

 

“Yes.” Taehyun answered back softly.

 

“Are you both being hunted?” When Taehyun did not reply, Minhyuk nodded. “I see. Come on. It is not far. There is a bit of life left in him and suffering from hypothermia.”

 

The path led to a wider road and Taehyun could see a few houses. When Minhyuk said that he was with his grandparents, he expected a modest little hut somewhere in the woods.

 

Well, it was a hut – huge, rustic and it was definitely not modest. It was designed to cater to visiting tourists. However, that time was not the peak for tourist visits so it was empty.

 

A man was sitting at the porch but was immediately running towards them once he spotted Minhyuk.

 

“What happened? Omo!” The man was definitely Minhyuk’s grandfather. “Buin!” He called out while Taehyun apologized, introduced himself and Mino, bowed and then apologized again.

 

“Buin!”

 

The grandmother came running out and together they carried Mino to the nearest bed and immediately got him out of his wet clothes.

 

It was the first time that Taehyun saw the extent of his injuries. The blood was seeping out from a deep gash on his shoulder where the bullet have grazed and there were a few cuts over the rest of his body which Taehyun was not sure if it was sustain during the crash or after falling into the water.

 

Taehyun sat by his bedside as Minhyuk’s grandparents applied various ointments onto the wounds before bandaging him up, trying patch Mino up to the best of their abilities.

 

“I hope he does not catch pneumonia. He is having a fever and is very, very cold.”

 

“He fell into the water and got injured.” Taehyun answered.

 

“Shot, you mean.” Mrs. Kang corrected him gently.

 

Taehyun’s eyes met Mrs. Kang’s kind ones. “I know his father. He is doing a good job and I am so sorry to know about his brother.”

 

Taehyun did not know what to say, “Ah… okay.”

 

Mrs. Kang’s smile grew a little as she applied more bandages. “Are you his partner?”

 

“I don’t know.” Taehyun answered, a little unsure as to what they are.

 

“Taehyun-ah.” Mino called out in his sleep.

 

“I think you are, son.” She patted his shoulder gently.

 

Minhyuk came back in looking really nervous. “He is here talking to grandfather. He wants to come into the house to see if there is truly no one around. You have to hide.”

 

They heard an angry voice outside. Taehyun stared at Mino then at Minhyuk and Mrs. Kang.

 

“The attic, he will never find the entrance.” Mrs. Kang whispered.

 

Taehyun and Mrs. Kang pulled Mino out of the bed, Minhyuk quickly hoisted him on his shoulder and dragged him into the hallway.

 

The voice of the man outside grew louder as Mr. Kang tried to calm him down. Quickly, they made their way to the end of the corridor into a small room at the end which they used for storage. Inside, was an opening at the ceiling that led to the attic, it was barely visible.

 

Taehyun was instructed to go up first then Minhyuk carried the lifeless body up and was just about to nod towards the sleeping bag when the sound of the door being ripped open sounded through the building.

 

Minhyuk retreated immediately after placing a finger on his lips letting Taehyun know that he needed to be quiet so they could avoid detection.

 

Then, silence reigned.

 

It was the attic, Taehyun realized. He could not fully stand straight due to the low ceiling. The place was filled with boxes, chests and many other things. Mino clad only in his boxers, lay on the floor looking more dead than alive. Beneath them within the house, Taehyun could hear angry voices.

 

Actually it was only one angry voice to be specific.

 

Mino’s breathing suddenly got erratic and his teeth started to chatter so loudly that Taehyun swore the noise could be heard from downstairs.

 

Mino would inevitably betray them, he knew.

 

There was an old dusty futon and so he rolled Mino over as carefully as he possibly could. He managed to find a blanket and wrapped him up. However, it did not work because his teeth were still chattering and the younger guy could see him squirming from the coldness within him.

 

Touching his forehead, Taehyun realized that Mino was having a fever and his body was still cold. The bandages were slightly wet but with sweat and not blood thankfully.

 

Another door was ripped open downstairs quite angrily. Mino’s teeth were still chattering, his body started convulsing of what could be either fever or fear or a bad dream.

 

Taehyun stared at him, his expression showed his displeasure.

 

“Song Minho, you owe me big time.”

 

He opened the old sleeping bag, placed it onto the futon, rolled him carefully inside and then closed the zip fastener up to his hip. Taehyun found another two blankets and placed all of them over him. With a deep long suffering sigh, Taehyun knelt beside Mino and felt his forehead, fever and hypothermia, there was absolutely no mistake about that.

 

“The Palace will be so ecstatic.” Taehyun muttered under his breath as he took off his sweater and his shirt. Gone were his socks and jeans, all that was left was him clad in his boxers.

 

“We are going to call it even. I have seen you in your boxers and now you see me…” Taehyun shook his head unable to continue any further.

 

Carefully, Taehyun sat down on the futon and then slipped under the blankets into the sleeping bag. The moment his legs touched Mino’s thighs, then his lower legs and finally his feet, Taehyun started to shiver.

 

Mino was ice cold, like a block of ice. He quickly closed up the sleeping bag until his head and his wild hair as Taehyun struggled to find a comfortable spot to sleep next to him.

 

It was almost impossible because Mino lied on his back and when Taehyun tried to lay by his side, the sleeping bag got all twisted. Plus, the idea was to warm him and avoiding him was not going to do the trick at all.

 

Taehyun groaned again in exasperation and shook his head. Then he made the decision and was going to stick to it, he moved carefully so as to not hurt him. The younger guy moved to hover over Mino and tried to embrace the idea of being a living, warm blanket.

 

It was like hugging an ice block. Mino felt strong and wiry, but his heartbeat was weak and his breath still raspy. He murmured in his sleep, twitching and rolling, as if plagued by a bad dream. And his forehead felt so hot, so … sweaty.

 

Groaning softly in his sleep, Mino tried to turn again and then grimaced as if in pain and rolled his head from side to side.

 

“Hyung,” Mino whispered.

 

It was a bad dream. He missed his brother, Taehyun could tell, he was sick and wounded and tired - and uneasy.

 

“Mino…” He whispered softly.

 

Mino’s head rolled away. Trying to cover as much of his cold body as possible, Taehyun carefully traced his cheek. “Mino,” he whispered again and the head rolling ceased.

 

His eyes fluttered open and for a moment, Taehyun was ready to bolt away, out of embarrassment and anger over the situation, but Mino just looked at him, slightly confused and not aware of his surroundings.

 

Their gazes met and Mino teared up quickly.

 

“He died, Nammie!” he cried, and then coughed softly. “They killed my brother!”

 

“I know.” Taehyun whispered as he his cheek again and removing the strands of hair that was sticking from his face.

 

Taehyun felt him move under him and much more body parts of his wriggled against the younger’s than he would have wished for. It made him all warm and strangely sweaty but for all the different reasons. Mino’s body warmed up under his making him all giddy, excited and restless.

 

“I don’t know what to do,” he told him, his voice choked with tears. “I will be a bad prince!”

 

“You won’t,” he promised one hand next to his shoulder and the other on Mino’s uninjured side.

 

Mino looked fragile and hurt as he lied beneath him  He looked like how he would have, if they had lived together: wrapped up in his embrace, vulnerable, like a little boy, tired not from an illness, but from what may have transpired between the two of them earlier.

 

The idea almost made Taehyun cry.

 

Taehyun realized what was happening. Currently, he was looking at the boy, not the man, at the heart he had lost, not at the being that had returned.

 

“You should sleep now, you are ill and tired.”

 

Mino shook his head violently and suddenly his arms reached out to hug him as close as possible.

 

There were only goose bumps left and searing fingerprints where their bodies touched like their arms, their entangled legs and Mino’s breath on Taehyun’s neck with his hands on the younger’s hips.

 

Taehyun shivered and Mino hugged him closer still, suddenly desperate for his touch.

 

His anchor, his sanity...

 

“I am not able to protect you.”

 

There were a thousand things Taehyun would have liked to ask him right at that moment and would have liked to tell him. However, Mino was sick, wounded and delirious so he did the other thing instead. It was to hug him back. He wound his body around Mino’s as tight as possible.

 

A surge of affection and possibly the other, greater thing washed over him. Taehyun realized that this was probably the only time he would be able to hold him like this.

 

In the morning, the other man, Minho, would be back and the boy he once knew would be hidden again.

 

“Sleep, Mino. Everything will be fine.” Taehyun ordered gently.

 

When he snuggled into the crook of the younger guy’s neck, he sighed and looked down at him.

 

His hair covered his eyes, sweaty from his fever, his lashes long and anxiously fluttering in his sleep. His skin was shiny but it glowed again with life just slightly dimmed with fever.

 

At that very moment, Taehyun would have loved him, no matter what, for Mino was perfect.

 

An apparition from his childhood, a beautiful boy from a past that was long gone.

 

Taehyun let his fingertips graced his nose, his cheek and his lips. Mino’s arms tightened around him, his fingertips burning small holes into Taehyun’s skin at the small of his back.

 

Taehyun could not handle it. It would tear him apart, he knew.

 

Kissing Mino’s temple, he buried his face in his hair and sighed deeply.

 

“Everything will be good.” Taehyun repeated and fell asleep.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

Hihi.. back with an update.. one of 2 bed scenes... i am only going to spoil so much... haha thanks for all the comments... Love to hear your thoughts... This is supposed to be a light hearted one but it is so dramatic now... i hope you enjoy as much i did writing it... no silent readers please...