Chapter Eight

Intoxicating
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyukjae fiddled with his shirt nervously as he leant back towards the huge sakura tree in their school grounds. He craned his neck, looking for a certain student. He felt his heart rate speed up when he saw a student with that distinctive shade of hair coming nearer. He thumped his chest nervously, willing his heart to slow down even just a bit.

Even after all the heartache that he had been experiencing the past weeks, just the sight of Donghae was enough to drive him to distraction.

He tilted his head curiously though, when he saw that Donghae was talking to someone to his phone.

"...told you, it would be safer if I pick you up instead of you coming over here again." Hyukjae's mood immediately dropped down after hearing this. He could guess who Donghae was talking to.

"Okay, okay. See you soon, Sulli. I miss you already! Bye!" Donghae said cheerily and Hyukjae's shoulders slumped a little more, the very thin line of hope that he had been unconsciously holding on to disappearing at those words.

He had half a mind to just back out and slip away; Donghae hadn't even noticed him yet so it was still safe to escape. But in the next moment, he squared his shoulders and stood up a little straighter. He had already been prepared for a negative outcome for this, he knew that it would haunt him if he ran away right now.

He saw Donghae stop a few meters away, clearly looking for someone. Hyukjae heaved a deep breath and called out.

"Donghae!"

Donghae froze immediately upon hearing his voice, and Hyukjae could sense that he was already planning his escape. But Hyukjae wouldn't let him go, not until after he'd said what he had to.

"Donghae," he called a little more softly, taking a few steps towards him, "Kyuhyun isn't coming here today."

"What do you mean by that?" Donghae asked, and Hyukjae winced at the expressionless voice.

"I asked Kyuhyun to help me get a chance to talk to you. I have something to tell you, please listen to me? I won't even take up five minutes of your time." Hyukjae pleaded, and he saw Donghae stood still for a while, as though debating with himself what to do next.

Donghae finally sighed and then turned to Hyukjae. "...so, what did you want to talk about?"

For a few seconds, Hyukjae stared up unblinkingly at Donghae. It had entirely been too long since Donghae had actually looked at him, and Hyukjae could feel his eyes watering. Again.

He hicupped a bit and Donghae's frown lessened, a bit of worry entering his eyes. "What's wrong? Why are you crying?"

At those words, Hyukjae's tears fell freely, and he wanted to curse himself for being such a crybaby. He had never been one to cry easily, at least not before he met Donghae.

Hyukjae saw Donghae took a small step forward, as though to reach for him, and Hyukjae quickly took several steps backward. He didn't want to become too close to Donghae; he might lose himself again and make everything worse.

He didn't notice Donghae stiffen as he moved away.

"I'm sorry if I'm making you uncomfortable, but it's just that... I just suddenly realized how I miss you."

"What do you mean? We see each other everyday in school." Donghae answered, his frown deepening a little bit more.

"Yes, but it's not the same." Hyukjae whispered.

You no longer look at me with those kind eyes.

"Um-anyway, Donghae, that's not what I wanted to tell you." Hyukjae took a deep breath, thankful that his tears had stopped for now. "What I want to tell you is, I like you. The reason that I keep on touching you inappropriately, and so randomly, is because whenever you’re too close I keep on losing my mind - literally." Hyukjae chuckled drily at this. "I’ve always hated how so many people forcibly tried to push themselves on me, and I can’t believe that I’d end up doing the same to you. I really, really like you Donghae, and I know that’s not enough excuse for the things that I’ve done. I also know that I don't have a chance with you, but I just want you to know that." Hyukjae looked down at the grassy ground for a moment, blinking back his tears before bowing. "Again, sorry for all the troubles that I’ve caused you, and thank you for giving me the chance to say this."

He turned and was about to leave when he felt a hand stopping him. "Wait, Hyukjae!"

Turning around quickly, Hyukjae blinked as he saw Donghae standing way too close to him. "Y-Yes?" he stuttered, taking a step back and feeling the sakura tree right at his back, trapping him.

"You like me? In that way?" Donghae asked, and Hyukjae blinked at him. Hadn't he been clear enough earlier?

"If in that way, you mean more than a friend, then yes."

"Since when?"

Hyukjae blushed a deep shade of red and hung his head. "Since the first day that we met." he mumbled, but Donghae still heard him clearly.

"That long? Then-Then what about Siwon?" Donghae asked, confusion clearly painted on his face.

"Choi Siwon? What about him? He's my classmate." Hyukjae tilted his head, feeling confused too.

Donghae continued to stare at him, looking thoughtful.

"So, you aren't dating anyone?"

Hyukjae was taken aback by the question. "No, why?"

Hyukjae watched as a smile slowly blossomed on Donghae's face, and he basked in the glorious sight, setting aside the confusing conversation they're having for a second.

Hyukjae was forced to look away from Donghae, though, as he heard a rustle from above. He and Donghae looked up, and they saw the branches of the sakura tree swaying gently with the wind. They watched as the cherry blossoms started to fall, and as Hyukjae watched them fall prettily around Donghae, he thought, this feels like deja vu.

Hyukjae was startled, though, when Donghae took a step towards him until he was once again trapped between Donghae and the tree. Hyukjae blinked his eyes at Donghae, confused, whose face was entirely too close for his sanity comfort.

"W-wha-"

Hyukjae shut up as Donghae began gently removing the cherry blossoms stuck on his hair. He gaped at Donghae, at a total loss as to what was currently happening.

"Oh, what's this? You had your hair colored again?" Donghae asked.

Hyukjae nodded slowly, feeling a blush creeping up on his cheeks. "Y-you said pink goes well with blond." he shrugged, trying to will his blush away.

When Heechul and Leeteuk dragged him to the parlor the previous week, he had his hair dyed to an even lighter platinum blond, and had his roots colored a very pale pink. The results looked even better than he had imagined.

At Hyukjae's explanation, Donghae grinned, looking delighted. "Glad to see that I was right! It looks gorgeous on you, Hyukjae."

It was the first time that Donghae had directly complimented Hyukjae, and his blush got even worse. He looked up at Donghae's grinning face, and he fervently hoped that he wouldn't lose himself and touch Donghae again. Not this time.

"Erm, t-thanks." Hyukjae replied shyly.

Donghae's grin got even wider, and he continued to brush Hyukjae's hair clean. When Donghae had deemed it clean enough, he let his arm rest the tree behind Hyukjae, leaning even closer to him.

Hyukjae gulped and stared down at their feet. Control yourself Hyukjae, control yourself. He chanted in his head repeatedly.

A few seconds passed in silence and Hyukjae looked up at Donghae questioningly. He found Donghae looking at him expectantly, as though waiting for something. When Hyukjae cocked his head at him, not knowing what to do, Donghae smiled a l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter