Chapter Seven

Intoxicating
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyukjae was talking energetically with Yesung when they came across Kyuhyun and Donghae. Hyukjae panicked, but was unable to stop Yesung from stopping and chatting with the two.

Trying his best to stifle his nervousness, he greeted Donghae with a smile. "Hello, Donghae."

"Hello." Donghae replied curtly, a smile that looked forced appearing on his face.

"Uhm, about last time, I'm really sorry-"

"It's fine." Donghae said in a clipped tone. "Kyuhyun, I have to go first. I need to pick something up from the store." Donghae said, turning to Kyuhyun.

"Oh, okay. I'll just meet you there." Kyuhyun replied.

"Bye." Donghae waved towards Yesung and Kyuhyun, and glancing only briefly at Hyukjae, he left.

Yesung looked at Hyukjae worriedly, and Hyukjae watched Donghae's leaving form, feeling worried as well.

~*~

Hyukjae tried his best to approach Donghae a few more times, but Donghae managed to avoid him expertly. Hyukjae would see him talking to Yesung and Kyuhyun and he'd try to join them, but Donghae always managed to leave after just a few minutes.

Hyukjae had also spotted him walking alone several times, and he'd join him. But Donghae's answers to his questions were curt, and he'd brush Hyukjae off not long after.

Hyukjae tried not to let the hurt overpower him, as he knew that he was the one at fault. His friends tried to convince him to just come clean to Donghae, but he was adamant not to. Not yet. He still had to muster enough courage to let his fear of rejection go.

~*~

"Uhm, so I have something to ask you."

Hyukjae was standing in one of the lesser populated hallways of their school, having been led there by his classmate Choi Siwon.

"What is it?" Hyukjae asked disinterestedly. He had been feeling quite low for the past weeks, ever since Donghae had started ignoring him.

"Please go out with me?" Siwon said, smiling charmingly at Hyukjae.

Hyukjae started. He had known Siwon for a while now, but they never became close enough to be considered as friends. Also, he had always assumed that Siwon was already taken; he was widely popular for his exceptional good looks, intelligence and prince-like charm. He was totally not expecting this. "Listen, Siwon - " he stared at Siwon and shook his head. He really was too handsome for his own good. Why was he even interested in Hyukjae when he could have anyone else? "I don't think - "

"I know that you're not interested in going out with anyone. But I really like you, and I hope you'll give me a chance." Siwon said, and Hyukjae could see the sincerity in his eyes.

Hyukjae sighed. If Siwon had asked him before he met Donghae, he probably would have said yes. He knew that despite his popularity and accomplishments, Siwon was well known as being a good guy all around. He was even considered perfect by the general population of their school.

"You know, you're a really great guy." He smiled tentatively at Siwon, and he saw how Siwon brightened up. "B-" Hyukjae halted as he saw Donghae pass by them.

He attempted to call Donghae but stopped as he saw the other student enter the classroom near them, not even sparing a glance towards them.

Hyukjae looked down for a moment, tears starting to form at his eyes. Really, the stress of the past weeks were starting to build up on him.

He took a deep breath to calm himself, but it didn't work and he looked at Siwon with watery eyes. "You're a really great guy, Siwon, but I already like someone else. I'm sorry." he hiccupped, his eyes watering more when he saw how disappointed Siwon looked.

He must somehow be feeling the same way as I am now. Hyukjae thought.

"Oh, it's okay." Siwon forced a smile at Hyukjae. "I didn't know you already have someone. I'm sorry." he apologized, and Hyukjae felt even worse.

"No-no, mine's just one-sided." Hyukjae tried to explain. "I guess this must be karma for all the hurt that I might've caused to nice people like you." he said, tears starting to fall from his eyes. "I didn't know that getting rejected would hurt this much. I'm really sorry."

"It's okay, Hyukjae." Siwon looked at Hyukjae worriedly. "Do you want to go to the bathroom?"

"No, it's okay." Hyukjae said, rubbing his eyes furiously. "I'm fine."

"No, you're not." Siwon caught his hands and gently wiped his tears away instead, which made Hyukjae cry ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter