Chapter 7

He Wanted Everything

 

Sunsun and I were officially a couple. I asked her out and she said yes, jumping into my arms and squealing with delight. I had gone all out, buying her a bouquet of red roses, a stuffed animal, and asking her in front of her friends. I wanted everyone to know, that I, Kris Wu, snagged one of the most prettiest girls on campus.

 

 

She was certainly a looker with her straight dark brown hair, big eyes, and fair skin. Her body was slim and pleasing to the eyes. Her fashion sense showed she was high-class. Sunsun had this way of carrying herself, her presence easily drew people to her. 

 

 

People all over, including my friends, congratulated me for getting one of the richest girls as my girlfriend. Sunsun basked in the attention. She even asked me to meet her parents. I accepted. The sooner I met them, I could evaluate them, who they were and how they acted. For all I knew, her parents could be ignorant fools who rolled in their money and let others do the work for them. 

 

 

My newly found relationship was going well. It’s true, I don’t like Sunsun like that but she’s not boring to be around with. She talks about anything and it keeps my mind awake. If I don’t like something, she asks me what I want instead. If I seem down or angry, she distracts me somehow. 

 

 

What I hate is Sunsun’s clinginess. I get that girls are insecure and think everyone is out for their man but this is ridiculous. She thinks every girl that is staring at me, wants me. Every girl that talks to me, is stealing my attention away from her. 

 

 

“Sunsun, what are you doing?” 

 

 

She looks at me expectantly, her lower lip jutting out. “What does it look like I’m doing? I’m feeding you of course!” Sunsun does the weird airplane thing with her fork and drives it nearer to my mouth. Her childish antics were stupid. I refuse to open my mouth. 

 

 

“Is Krissy-poo angwy?” She pouts. What in the name-?

 

 

I close my eyes, breathing in slowly through my nose. Resist the temptation of storming out. Resist it.  Breathe out. 

 

 

Grabbing her wrist, I look her in the eyes. “Why are you so adorable?” I force the words out. Adorable, my . I am capable of feeding myself. All this sweet talk is going to make me get ing diabetes.

 

 

She giggles and tries again. This time, I open my mouth just to appease her. I hear some people behind me aww at the sight. I will never understand how people fall for some supposedly cute act. But as long as I look good under their eyes, I have to keep up with Sunsun’s cute ‘acts’.

It’s only a matter of time anyway.

 

 

 

--------

 

 

 

Luhan was distressed. 

 

 

Ma was refusing to eat. She looked more fragile every day and it killed Luhan to see her like that. 

 

 

It was all Yifan’s fault of course. Him leaving was causing more distress than ever. It was taking a toll on Ma’s health and Luhan felt completely helpless. 

 

 

He urged her to go to the hospital and check herself. Maybe she had contacted a disease or something. Luhan wanted answers and fast. 

 

 

Ma responded with a firm no and insisted that she was fine. That she was just getting old and was having her menopause, whatever that meant.

 

 

Some positive news was Luhan had gotten promoted and was earning a better and higher  pay. More cash meant less worries for him and Ma, necessities-wise of course. He noticed his skin was brighter too. Luhan was a healthier in body but not in mind.

 

 

“Ma. I’m heading to the department store now. Keep resting, ok?”

 

 

He catches a very feeble response. “Ok baby. Stay safe.”

 

 

“Your dinner is in the fridge. Don’t forget to eat please.” Please, try to eat it. 

 

 

No answer. “I’m going now. See you later!”

 

 

Luhan locks the door and drags himself to the bus stop. Everyday was a scare for him. What if he came home and ma wasn’t there? Or worse she just...

 

 

Closing his eyes, he reminds himself: it’s only eight more hours till you get home, Luhan. Everything is gonna be ok. Have a smile on your face and serve your customers well. 

 

 

 

--------

 

 

 

I was going to have my first study date with Kris and I was feeling nervous. I don’t usually talk with people my age one on one. I talk comfortably with teachers since they are my superiors and have the answers to everything. People like Kris, I feel less comfortable with since I feel inadequate next to them. They have brains and beauty and everybody likes them. And I have nothing. 

 

 

I packed all my materials in my bag which consisted of my textbook, my binder with my notes for economics class, a graphing calculator, and my pencil case. So far we started with micro part of economics: microeconomics. It’s quite fascinating how our economy works. The basics boil down to supply and demand, market structures, and theories of the firm and individual behavior. 

 

 

The library of Tsinghua is round shaped and from the outside it looks like a contorted colosseum.  The inside has a modern feel with it metallic, narrow shelfs and tables. There are plush sofas lining the walls, providing a luxurious experience when reading a book or studying for a class. 

 

 

I decide to sit in one of the plush sofas with small coffee tables near. I take my binder out and a pencil and wait. I was ten minutes early. It is always best to be early rather than late. 

 

 

People all around me were diligently doing their work, their books propped open. Since I was considerably early, I review the day’s econ notes. There was a test tomorrow but I felt confident about it. The copious amount of graphs bothered me. Since the semester was ending, lessons were getting progressively challenging and had more information. 

 

 

Finals weren’t till the western holiday called Christmas. Christmas sounded nice from what I have seen on television. Westerners used this holiday to give gifts to others and spend time with their families. People were always smiling, hugging, and singing. The food looked delicious too. 

 

 

There I go again, dazing off. 

 

 

 

--------

 

 

 

I saunter my way to the library. Zitao was waiting for me for our first study session. Sunsun wasn't here, clinging to my side since she had some dinner party to attend to with her parents and guests. She invited me but I rejected saying I had to study. Sunsun was about to retort before I shut her up with a kiss. 

 

 

A gaggle of girls come my direction and I send them my signature smirk. They hide their flustered giggles behind their hands. Tch, girls and their giggling habits.

 

 

I spot Zitao dozing off, his head almost reaching the binder he was holding. Did I take too long? I check my watch and sigh. I was only fifteen minutes late. 

 

 

Well it was now or never. I poke him in the shoulder. Nothing. I poke him a little harder. 

 

 

Zitao suddenly jerks and and his binder falls on the floor. 

 

 

He doesn’t notice since he was more embarrassed on being caught sleeping. Zitao lets out a small sorry and hurriedly picks up his fallen binder and in the process manages to cut his finger. 

 

 

“Hey Tao, if you’re tired, we can do this another day.”

 

 

“No, it’s fine, Kris. Please, stay. These chairs are so comfy. Please do sit.”

 

 

An awkward pause follows.

 

 

“Ah. I see my finger is bleeding. By any chance, do you have a bandaid on you?”

 

 

“Sorry Tao. I unfortunately do not carry bandaids around with me.” He smiles, picking up on my playful tone. 

 

 

I did however have tissues in my bag and I take one out. Rather than letting Zitao wipe it, I gently grab hold of his finger and hold the tissue there to stop the cut form bleeding. 

 

 

I pretend not to notice the light pink dusting Tao’s cheeks.