Chapter 4

He Wanted Everything

Luhan never heard of his brother again. He tried looking for him after he finished his shifts at the retail store. He asked the neighbors, pedestrians, co-workers, the little old ladies playing mah jong outside, anyone really. Heck, he even made stray animals smell Yifan’s old shirt, hoping they would get the message. 

 

 

 

That got him no where of course. Lady luck was refusing to help him.

 

 

 

Ma wasn’t coping really well. She cried every night, praying to the heavens above that her youngest baby was in good health and not lying dead somewhere in a ditch. Luhan dismissed her absurd thinking and attempted to cheer her up by buying her gifts from the discounts he received as an employee from the retail store. He even ventured in singing sometimes. He had to admit, his singing wasn’t bad. It had a clean and smooth tone to it and dare he say, angelic.

 

 

Time was flying by fast. Before he knew it, the leaves were turning brick red and covering the streets. Autumn had begun. November was edging closer and Luhan was beginning to lose hope and his mind. How dare his brother leave without a trace? Where was that ingrate? It had been a long nine months since he left and no word. His birthday would have been in a couple of weeks. Yifan would have turned eighteen. 

 

 

Life continued and flowed its course with no drastic changes except Yifan leaving. Work was manageable and he was on his way on getting a promotion. Money wasn’t as tight as before as ma found a new job and combined with his salary, they were finally living quite comfortably. However ma hasn't been eating much and that worried him. Alot. 

 

 

It was 3 pm currently and fours hours before he could go home. Luhan leaned forlornly on the jewelry counter, chin on his hand, watching customers passing by, going on with their jolly lives. 

 

 

“...Hehee. I know right Mei? He is soo cute! He even looks half? Like almost white you know? Kris is the literal definition of gorgeous. And tall. Super tall. You think he will go out with me if I ask him?

 

 

“Gurl, you are not alone. Kris is like walking perfection. He totally has this mysterious vibe about him which makes him like ten times hotter. And OMG you want to ask him out?! Get in line sweetheart, you aren’t the only one trying to get in his pants.”

 

 

 

 

Kris, huh? Luhan mused. These silly girls and their crushes. This ‘Kris’ must be a hella hot man for girls to be buzzing about him. 

 

 

 

--------

 

 

 

“Yo Kris! Party at my place, 11pm sharp.”

 

 

My new so called ‘friend’, Dawei, swings an arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer to him. I bit my tongue, holding in a string of curses. Idiot, doesn’t know the definition of personal  space. 

 

 

“Sure. I’ll be there.” 

 

 

“Cool.” He looks around before he nudges my side. “I heard Sunsun and Meili will be there,” raising his eyebrows expectantly. 

 

 

Those two? I shake my head. Those girls have been up my face since the day I stepped one foot into this place. All it took was a flash of a smile and they would bow down. 

 

 

I shrug in response. “Man nothing fazes you. Not even the hot girls.” Dawei muttered.

 

 

How hot they are is the least of my worries. Hopefully tonight, I’ll make both of those bimbos mine. Or atleast one of them. Only then I can take advantage of their sick infatuation with me. Ah, speak of the devil. The distinct sound of the click clacking of their neon-colored heels can be heard from a mile away.

 

 

“Heeyy Kris. You going to the party tonight?” Sunsun says, twirling a strand of her hair. Next to her, Meili bats her eyes flirtatiously, “We are going to need a dance partner to waste the night away.”

 

 

“Ladies what about me? I’ve got killer moves and even more to offer,” Dawei winks. They laugh, “Of course, Dawei. Why would we forget you? Well, we will see you later guys!”

 

 

“Man, those girls are something, huh. And soo hot! Damn.” 

 

 

“Not really interest Hey watch where you are going!”

 

 

A boy with a mop of black hair and tan skin crosses my view. He looks up at me and gulps nervously, “I’m really sorry! I was walking and not really thinking, I mean I was not thinking straight since my mind was elsewhere and I was debating whether I was going the right direction but now I don’t think I am and—

 

 

“Look, kid, I don’t particularly care why or how you bumped into me. Just watch where you are going next time,” I reply coldly, not wanting to listen to his frivolous rambling.

 

 

He widens his eyes before he drops his gaze to the ground. “Right. I’ll be more careful. Sorry again.” And with that, he walks away, clutching the straps of his back bag tighter. What a weird guy. 

 

 

“That was kinda harsh, Kris. Lay of him will ya?”

 

 

“What you care about him or something?” I sneer back.

 

 

Dawei looks affronted and somewhat flustered. “No! It’s just that he’s a bit different from us...” He points his thumb in the direction where the tan guy who bumped earlier into me left. “That ‘kid’ is literally a kid. Zitao’s like 2 or 3 years younger than us and freakishly smart. And by the look of it, he’s kind of a loner. He doesn't talk to others much or atleast from what I saw.” 

 

 

Now that peaked my interest. This Zitao got into this school by his own accord. I appreciate that as I can strongly relate. Association with him, though, wouldn't be advisable. Judging by his clothes, it didn’t seem he was well off. Flimsy white t-shirt with washed away black skinnies screamed poor. I was done being poor. 

 

 

With Luhan and ma not in my life anymore, I changed my whole appearance. I was no longer that grimy faced Yifan from the rundown part of Beijing but rather Kris, the guy who girls fawned over and guys wanted to be friends with. I was the 'it' guy. People wanted to be me.

 

 

—he might look scrawny and what not but he’s actually fit. He also is pretty wealthy. Zitao is the type to work and not use his parents’ money for anything. Plus he’s into wushu, some martial arts and rumour has it that he won 1st  place for all his competitions—”

 

 

He’s wealthy? Shouldn’t he worry about his appearance more. Kid’s not bad looking but not exactly chick magnet material. I mean come on, if he has the monetary means why not use it. 

 

 

“Hey Kris? Kris? Are you even listening to me,” he deadpanned. 

 

 

“Yeah yeah. So tell me more about this Zitao. Everything you know about him.”

 

 

“Uh. Sure. You do realize he is in our economics class right.”

 

 

No. I never actually noticed. Dawei picks up on my expression and rolls his eyes. “Dude, you are hopeless.”

 

 

Not completely hopeless. I learned something new today about this kid. Dawei just told me valuable news. Zitao is perfect as a target. He is the loner type and therefore easily influenced. Now that I think about it, no one dares to approach him for even though people revere him at the same time they find him odd. That means no one is there to look out for him. And that is where I step in. Never mind association, I will be that friend who seemingly cares about him. All I need now is to gain his trust.

 

 

 

 

 

You wait Zitao. I will be the best friend you'd never had.