Chapter 11

He Wanted Everything

Sunsun’s family was as I expected. 

 

 

Superficial, fake, and let other people do the work for them. 

 

 

You might think, whats wrong with that? Let them be, they have all this money right? No. If they were smart, they would use that surplus of money and be more productive with it. 

 

 

Who needs lavish vacations to the Maldives or Fiji? Invest it, buy bonds, negotiate with others, eat other companies. Take risks. That’s the only way to get to the top. 

 

 

I absolutely detest people who do nothing with it . You have all this money and do nothing but squander it. Sure you can manage your companies with help of course, but this? I guess this is the life of the wealthy. 

 

 

They probably don't give money to the poor. And if they do, it’s only probably for show. To be labeled and known as ‘philanthropists’. They are no Bill Gates or Warren Buffet.  Sadly, that’s how this ing world works.     

 

 

“Kris, you ok? You have a scary face on.” Sunsun touches my chin, tilting it so I can look at her. I flinch away from her. 

 

 

No one touches me like that. I don’t how long I’m going to put up with her. It’s always grabby hands with her. Her dense head does not understand the definition of personal space. 

 

 

Once I’m done with this New Year dinner, I’m leaving. If she wants to makeout, she can one her many servants. Done with her . 

 

 

Tao is easier to be around with. He is not fake. There is no need for a fake relationship with him. No strawberry-glossed kisses, over perfumed hugs, the infuriating sounds of stilettos. 

 

 

Tao is simple and I like that.  

 

 

 

--------

 

 

 

I woke up to find a red envelope under my pillow. It was from my mama. She must have put it there after I fell asleep.  

 

 

It was considerably bulky, similar to my baba’s. Inside, I counted 2000 yuan and a note:

 

 

你是我最初和最後的天堂。 

 

 

You are my first and last paradise. It is cute as it is loving. I can never be mad at her. She is my ma and I love her. Yet, I can’t help but feel guilty. Both ma and ba gave me something and in return, I did not. I can't forget nainai too. 

 

 

Throwing my covers aside, my eyes scan for a blinking digital clock. 6:08 am. Perfect. It's always good to start the day early. It gives the illusion of a longer day. 

 

 

Padding my way to the bathroom, I plan the day in my head. 

 

  1. Go to college
  2. Go to work
  3. Run to the mall
  4. Get home by 10 pm

 

I know mama likes jewelry and ba likes watches. For nainai, it should be a tangzhuang. A nice red one, with flowers. That’s really pretty. 

 

 

After a hot shower, I quickly brush my teeth. I open my drawers and grab a shirt-pants combination and put them on. 

 

 

The weather was fairly chilly as it was still late February. Outside the window, a dull gray painted the sky and clouds were hidden. But no matter. The climate can not dampen my mood. 

 

 

“Good morning nainai!”

 

 

Nainai glances at me over her shoulder. “You’re awake.” She comments, surprised. “Sit down Taotao. I’ll make you something to eat.”

 

 

I beam. 

 

 

 

--------

 

 

 

Sunsun trails me around like an infatuated puppy. Try as I might, I can’t shake her off.

 

 

The only place she can’t follow me is the men’s bathroom. Obviously, I can't spend all my time inside there. 

 

 

I can’t even make myself to tell her to stop. I feel like I will blow up in her face. 

 

 

Groaning, I grudgingly make my way to economics. Hopefully, Tao will be there so I  can extract Sunsun out of my thoughts. That ditzy is truly getting on my nerves. 

 

 

“Hi, Kris!” Ugh. Even her voice haunts me. 

 

 

“Sunsun, I swear if you ask me one more time if I feel ok I willOh Tao. Hey, what’s up?”

 

 

Tao, as usual, wears the most mundane clothes ever. I mean it shows he is not a conceited jerk like those other rich bastards who strut around. But he can attempt to dress nicer. 

 

 

“Nothing much. I’m ready to ace this test.”

 

 

“Oh righht. We have a test today.” I should have reviewed or something. Oh, well. I’m smart. 

 

 

Before I can ask how his New Years went after the whole restaurant fiasco, Sunsun has to latch on me and squeal and pester me. “Kriisssss, I was looking for you! I missed you yesterday...you didn’t even answer my texts.”

 

 

There is another thing about Sunsun. She doesn’t care who she interrupts as long as she gets my attention. It’s annoying and rude. Not to mention, Tao is right in from me, looking nervous. He starts to edge away. With my eyes I try to say help!.

 

 

“Kris, you have to come to the party today! It’s going to super fun.” She squeezes my arm. “Plus after it, we can go somewhere more private.” Sunsun drags on the 't'. 

 

 

“Actually, Kris and I are going to do something afterschool. Since we both take Calculus honors, our project is heavy on proving the fundamental theorems. It’s tedious work and takes quite a long time.”

 

 

Brilliant. Tao is no idiot. Of course, he read my eyes. “Yeah, so no Sunsun. Maybe next time.” 

 

 

Sunsun gives Tao a one over, curling her lip in disdain. “Well, anyways. It’s ok oo. See you tomorrow then! Text me!” Shes kisses me on the mouth and shoves past Tao. That little .

 

 

“I’m sorry about that Tao. She can be rude like that.” Tao waves his hand. 

 

 

“It’s ok, Kris. Friends helps friends out, right?” He smiles, his eyes turning into crescents. I notice Tao has small teeth. It matches him.

 

 

“Right.” I glance at the clock. We have a few minutes to kill. “So Tao, do you actually have a calc project?”

 

 

Tao stares at me funny and scrunches his nose. “That was an excuse. Guess you didn’t catch on.” He singsongs, sticking out his tongue. 

 

 

“I'm actually heading to the Sunshine Department Store. Need to get gifts for my family.” I recognize that place. Its the upscale mall downtown. 

 

 

“Well, since I have nothing to do” and want to avoid Sunsun at all costs, “I will tag along.” 

 

 

Tao’s eyes literally sparkle. They are bright and happy. Almost like Luhan’s eyes. 

 

 

He looks away, blushing. Tao likes to do that around me. I don’t mind. Tao is not superficial. He genuinely likes me.

 

 

“Talk to me after the test, ok?” And with that, I head back to my usual spot at the back and spot Dawei eyeing me. He looks at me knowingly, wriggling his eyebrows up and down. 

 

 

I flip him off. 

 

 

 

--------

 

 

 

Luhan is told to wait outside. He pouts, tying to convince the doctor to let him in. 

 

 

“Doctor, please. Ma likes me beside her at all times. I demand to go inside.”

 

 

The doctor does not bat an eye. “I’m sorry Mr. Wu, but this consultation is between her and I. This will only take a few minutes.”

 

 

“Fine. But only a few minutes, you hear?” The doctor only gives him a strained smile. Poor kid, he thinks. It’s best he stays out. 

 

 

Clutching his clipboard, he enters the room and sees his patient, sitting on the chair opposite his desk. The doctor makes his way across his office and sit across from her. 

 

 

The one thing he will never understand and not even with science on his side, is how his patients just know. He can tell from the defeated look in their eyes. The slump of their shoulders, an evident sign of resignation. 

 

 

Clearing his throat, he announces, “Ms. Wu, I have the results from your checkup. What I gather

 

 

“How long?”


 

The doctor fidgets. It is never easy to tell a patient that they are dying. Even more when the patient’s son is waiting outside, blissfully oblivious to the whole ordeal happening inside the room. “There isn’t really a definitive time...”

 

 

“Just tell me.” 

 

 

 “Ms. Wu, I sincerely don’t think its...my colleagues...”

 

 

“Don’t make this harder than it already is. We both know I’m coming to my end.”

 

 

The response comes fast. “Around half a year.”

 

 

Ma’s face is grim. She had a feeling, an intuition, that she wasn’t going to see her sons grow. Her eldest son left her and now she was going to leave Luhan, her baby, all alone. Oh, the irony. 

 

 

She stares at the dreaded test results in the doctor’s hand. “Tell me, doctor. There is something called doctor-patient confidentiality. Can you please elaborate on it’s definition?”

 

 

She hears him sigh, deep and heavy. Ma knew that he knew what was she was going after. Her pain is great but her son’s would be greater if he knew the truth. 

 

 

“Doctor-patient confidentiality is an integral part of the professional code of ethics in, in this case, the medical field. As doctors, we keep our patients’ health information private. In simpler terms, whatever you tell me, I cannot share with anyone.” He finishes, sending a meaningful glance her way. 

 

 

Ma has her mind made up. She loves Luhan to the end of the Earth, the universe, the galaxy. She is not, under any circumstance, going to tell him. 

 

 

Clenching her fists, she looks the doctor straight in the eyes. “Doctor, I request of you to not tell Luhan of the test results. He must not know.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: #LOVEWINS  GUYSSSS. REMEMBER THE DATE. 6/26

 

Some information from chapter that was not clear

 

2000 yuan is around $317.97

 

Legit letter from Tao to his abuela

SOURCE: http://sorrymrsjacksoniamforreal.tumblr.com/post/92104612302/pre-debut-taos-sweet-letter-to-his-grandmother

 

The Sunlight Department is actually called The Sunshine Department. It is an actual upscale store located in Qingdao, but for the sake of this story its located in Beijing. 

     

 

A tang suit, also called the tangzhuang, looks like this:

 I personally thinks its cute. 

 

ALSO. if you can lend a little of your time to check this awesome Huang Zitao post, please do:

http://exo-skeletons.tumblr.com/post/92340257423/no-matter-your-views-on-huang-zitao-you-should