7th shadow

In the shadows...

 

MISSION VI

 

The sun was setting. The sky was full of colors. Red. Yellow. Pink. Blue. A young man was sitting outside, sipping take out coffee, looking at the sky. He often heard how beautiful sunset is, how it makes you feel sad and happy at the same time. However, he didn't feel anything. No piece of mind. No special memories. No melancholy feels. But then a face appeared before his eyes. Number 2. The only one of them who could smile and radiate happiness. He would like to see this. The man froze. No. The number 2 didn't have likes or dislikes, just like all of them. And he certainly shouldn't think like this. He glared at the sun. Was this really the power of nature? To evoke feelings even in someone like him? He threw out the cup of coffee and turned his back. Mentally taking note to never again observe a sunset. 

 

He was the number 4. Code name: Hoya. Identity: Lee Howon. Age: 24.

Member of Infinite. Speciality: Fighting.

 

He sat on a bench in a park and pretended to play with his phone. His role was simple. And probably the easiest. They were all skilled in martial arts but he was the best. His body structure was most suited for the physical fights. While others usually focused on one particular target, eliminating him without attracting attention, he was usually ordered to take out a gang or a group of problematic individuals. Nothing that would require a long preparation time and the tasks were carried out quickly. He hated waiting in the field. It would always make him think too much. 

 

The night came, darkness swallowed up the city. Soon. They would come soon. He was in that particular spot for two reasons. One, that a street lamp was broken so there was no light. Second, there were no security cameras. He first heard their voices. Loud and vulgar. They were intoxicated already even though it was still early. He sighed. They wouldn't provide much entertainment then. 

 

It was wrong on so many levels to think like that but number 4 enjoyed the fights. The stronger the oponent... he would dare to say, the more fun he had. Being raised the way he was, there was nothing that would make him HIM. Everything he did, everything he thought was a choice of someone else. However, as if it was impossible to completely erase all human traits from them, they all find some kind of pleasure in their work. They all felt something while doing the missions. Number 4 liked to test his limits. The bigger the gang, the better fighters they were, the more adrenalin would pump in his veins. Tonight was a disappointment.

 

He could hear their steps. 8. There were eight of them. They were laughing and cursing. Based on the information from the HQ, they were drug dealers who just started to bring a newly developed drug to the market. However, this drug had a very high killing rate and so he was ordered to take them down. He stood up and pulled his cap down to his eyes. He doubted they would  be able to remember his face but he never took any unnecessary risks.

 

He kept standing in the middle, blocking the road. When they were approaching and he didn't move, one of the guy shouted.

"YAH! What are you doing?!"

Hoya stayed quiet.

"Are you deaf or something? Get lost!"

Silence.

"Guys, looks like we will have some fun tonight. You just signed your death wish, kid."

The leader laughed and pulled Hoya down. The knife pierced his stomach and moved up to the lungs so fast, he didn't even have time to scream. So stupid. How can a leader make such an elementary mistake. Number four realized, calling these thugs an organized crime unit was a big overestimation. His body didn't hit the ground yet and Hoya was already moving. Kick to the head. Two. Slice of the throat. Three. Breaking neck. Four. Choke hold. Five. Stab to the heart. Six. Rib cage. Seven. He was almost done. The last one was shaking on the ground. He lowered himself to his position.

 

"I'm going to let you live so you can go and tell everyone what just happened. I want the new item out of the market by the end of this month. If it's not and trust me, I will know if it's still out there, I will come again and personally take down everyone who is involved in any form. If they think, I am just one guy with no means how to take down all of the gangs, tell them to check their mail and bank accounts. My collegues send their greetings."

 

The guy nodded and ran away, stumbling many times. Number four brushed the dust off his clothes and walked in the opposite direction. He didn't look back on the bodies. Not once. The police would have a field day tomorrow. Mission accomplished.

 

to be continued