2nd shadow

In the shadows...

 

MISSION I

 

It was dark. The sun has already set and the clouds were hiding the stars. A young boy was sitting on a branch of a tree, completely hidden by the leaves. He was observing a mansion before him. It was a beautiful building but he had no concept of what beauty is. He was not admiring the architecture, he was counting the guards, making notes of the security cameras angles and searching for the best way how to get in unnoticed. 

 

He had a special red lenses so he could see perfectly even in the dark. Moreover, they were heat sensitive so he could detect humans even behind the corners or otherwise blocked from his view. He was not wearing anything fancy. White sweatshirt and a dark hoodie. There was nothing special and yet the aura he gave away was deadly.

 

He was the number six. Code name: L. Identity: Kim Myungsoo. Age: 23.
Member of Infinite. Speciality: Killing.

 

He was patient. There was no need to hurry. He waited till the guards started to change shifts and dashed forward. Fast like a wind. He jumped over the fence, run towards the mansion and climbed up to the balcony. He was like a blurr... a shadow. He noticed the doors were not completely closed on this one so he casually entered as if it was the most normal thing to do. He knew the plan of the building by heart. The room he was searching for was two floors down. In the basement. He sneaked out and fastly made his way through the mansion. It was late at night and everybody was asleep. He was aware of the cameras but going only through the blind spots was not a problem for him. The man he was after was very precise. His security was top level but they've made a crucial mistake. They focused too much on the outside and didn't place any guards inside. Completely believing the camera system. L would laugh if he knew how. 

 

He made it to the room in no time and hid himself inside a wardrobe that was there only as a decoration. Another stupid mistake. If you know there are people after your life never create spaces for them to hide in. Now he had to wait for his target that would come soon.

 

The man was called Jung Ji Hoon. He was 54 and was an important politician. His hobby was to cause pain. and torture young girls. The acts happened in this room. Every morning he would come here, drink coffee and wait for his special delivery. The girl would always arrive 45 minutes after the target entered into his special chamber. That time was more than enough. As predicted, the brains in the Infinite unit never failed at this, the target entered into the room at six. A maid made him coffee and then left. The target sat on the sofa, looking at one of the paintings in the room. Slowly sipping the hot drink, thinking about what he will do with his new toy today. 


L exited the wardrobe so quietly the target didn't notice. Not that it would matter. The room was soundproof. He could scream all he wanted, nobody would hear. L made his way towards him. His pace steady. No rush. He stopped behind him and looked at the painting. His target was admiring it but L saw nothing but a mix of colors and shapes on the paper. He moved and stood next to the sofa. For a brief moment the target was still lost in his thoughts but soon he noticed the presence of someone next to him. 

 

He dropped the cup of coffee, abruptly standing.

"Who are you?"

L looked at him and the target paled. The red eyes were shining like the one of the devil. The target tried to escape but L blocked his way. He gently threw him to the ground and injected him with a drug he had already prepared. The target will die of a heart attack in three minutes. There will be no traces of any struggle or of the drug in his system. It will be pronounced a normal death. 

 

The target was writhing on the floor. Totally shocked.

"Why?"

He rasped out but L remained quiet. There was no need to talk. 

"I will give you more that whoever paid you. Just help me."

It's always the same. The targets always try to buy him when the time comes. But he has no need or desire for such superficial things. 

124 seconds had passed since he gave him the drug. Not much longer then... The target caught his leg and begged.

"Please, please. I will do whatever you tell me. I didn't do anything wrong."

L wasn't sure what was right and what was wrong. He never cared. However, he was pretty sure doing that to the young girls was not something usually done. He looked at his target one more time. His gaze piercing cold and the target had never seen so much death in somebody's eyes. L crunched down to him and whispered. His voice low and husky. The one that could chill you to the bone. 

 

"Monsters are real. They live inside us. And sometimes they win."

 

Those were the last words his target heard. L checked the breathing, the pulse and waited two more minutes just to be sure nobody would come rescue him. Then he left. He didn't need the darkness of the night to help him mask his presence. He was not human. He was a monster and so all you could see was a dark shadow moving through the mansion and out to the garden.  

 

Once he was outside and safe distance from the mansion, he looked at the sky, the bright sun burning his eyes. It was over. Another successful mission. The target was eliminated as ordered. Everything went smoothly and according to the plan. L was satisfied. He couldn't really feel anything but after he did a good job, there was something ... Something that made him feel somehow different.

 

You should remember:

All monsters are human.

 

to be continued