5th shadow

In the shadows...

 

MISSION IV

 

The university was similar to any other in Korea. The size of the campus was pretty big, the courses were hard to pass but the lecturers were good, the food was decent, the accomodation okay... There were students devoted to their studies and those who prefered to party... There were sport starts, popular ones and some idols... It was the typical college you could imagine. Some friendships were born, some broken... Some couples got together while others splitted... And then there was him.

 

A boy who didn't belong. Not that you could tell that by his appearance. He was dressed fashionably but not in the expensive brand clothes, putting him in the middle class category. His grades were okay but not above average. He wasn't failing any of his courses either though. He was pretty athletic but wasn't in any sport clubs. He actually wasn't in any clubs period. Of any sorts. He was handsome and quiet. He didn't usually draw attention of the crowd but his presence was still noticed. Especially by the girls. His looks were really no joke. 

 

He was the number 3. Code name: W. Identity: Nam Woohyun. Age: 24.

Member of Infinite. Speciality: Infiltration/Spying.

 

He wasn't a student at this particular university to improve his CV. He was here because someone else happened to be a student too. His target was a girl, the same age as him. Coincidentally they took all the same subjects. It wasn't hard for Woohyun to get her interest. He wasn't pushy or in a hurry. With small kind gestures he touched her heart. Just not enough yet. They were friends... maybe even something more but she didn't love him. He needed to try harder. They were having lunch together. Since the wheather was nice, they stayed outside, enjoying the sun... it was also more private there than in the crowded cafeteria. 

"Am I wrong for you?" Woohyun decided to breach the topic. 

"Why do you think so?"

"I... We are together, aren't we? Yet, I feel your resistence."

"We are friends even though we are together. Yes, it may seem strange but... Woohyun-ah. It's not me. I can love you but I refuse to fall in love with someone who won't return the feelings."

"How can you say that? I like you."

"No. You don't."

"Why? Why don't you believe me?"

"Maybe you believe that what you feel for me is love but maybe you are only confused since I am the only one who actually approached you as a person."

"What?"

"Woohyun-ah... I am not sure if you are doing this on purpose or not... If you are really only pretending or playing a joke... or if you are so broken you don't even notice it but I can see it. Maybe others are fooled by your smiles, polite conversations, your consideration. But not me."

"I don't understand."

"There are no emotions in your words."

That. Woohyun froze. He was a good actor. He could pretend to be anyone he was ordered to. Like a chameleon, he could change his skin and assimilate. Never standing out. He could be nobody, totally fading with the background or he could be the star, making everyone look at him but most of the time... he was the golden middle. He was supposed to observe, to make connections... For that, you needed to get close to the target but if you were too obvious, it would leave traces and therefore Woohyun opted for the average option. That's the easiest. It always worked but this girl... There was something about her. She was different. As if she could really see right through him. Emotions... She was right. He didn't have any.

"That's not true. Maybe I just don't show it."

"What is your secret?"

A red control started blinking in Woohyun's mind. Danger. The statement was too close to hit home. 

"I..."

"It's okay. You don't need to tell me. Don't worry. I will know when you will really feel something and then I will come to you. Until then... this has to be enough."

She placed a soft kiss on his forehead and stood up.

"I need to go. I am skipping classes today. There is something I am supposed to do. See you later."

She left, leaving Woohyun at loss. He grabbed his phone and texted.

"I need number 1. Schedule our appointment."

If the only way to get to her was to show emotions then there was nobody else that could help him. He knew what must have be done.

 

to be continued