Ghosts

Bam City

CHAPTER EIGHT: Ghosts

 

"Get up, Jessica. We have to get your sister for brunch."

"Go away," Jessica said, voice muffled behind her pillow. She was lying face down on her bed.

"We're going to be late."

"Krystal can get her own food."

"You haven't seen your sister for a month."

"Then another day wouldn't hurt."

Taeyeon sighed. She took Jessica by the arm and pulled her up. They stumbled to the bathroom and Taeyeon left her inside. "Brush your teeth and wash your face. I'll get you clothes. And hurry up. My sister's waiting downstairs."

Jessica did just two things now. Train and sleep. Taeyeon had to make sure that she washed and ate, and took Jessica's spare keys to get access to the apartment.

When she finally got Jessica out of the apartment. Hayeon raised an eyebrow when they got into Jessica's champagne sedan, because Taeyeon had told her to wait ten minutes but had taken thirty. Taeyeon drove to the SNU dorms to pick Krystal up, and then they drove to Hongdae. It was the soft opening of Sooyoung's restaurant, Shikshin Paradise. Taeyeon and Sooyoung had stopped operating the food stall at night and had spent the whole week preparing for this day.

This was the first time Hayeon met Jessica and Krystal, but she was disapproving. Sooyoung had told her that Jessica had been Taeyeon's violent ex-girlfriend. So she called Jessica a '-ssi' instead of an '-unnie'.

She was friendlier to Krystal, and they talked for a few minutes before awkwardness prevailed. Jessica did not mediate things between the two, arms folded in sullen silence. Taeyeon got them egg rolls, kimchi, pork ball soup and rice. She also served a plate of bulgogi toast, which was on their special menu.

After they finished their food, Jessica drove Hayeon and Krystal back to Gwanak. Taeyeon stayed. For now, she was the only waitress. They had interviewed a few potentials beforehand, but decided to hire extra hands only after the business took off. They did get a kitchen assistant though. The thirty-two year old Soojin had just moved to Seoul. She had worked at a busy Busan restaurant. Soojin had a thick accent and made a mean pumpkin sikhye.

Shikshin Paradise would operate eleven in the morning to ten at night, from Tuesdays to Sundays. Today, they had a smattering of customers willing to try out the newest joint in Hongdae. 

"How was business today?" Hayeon asked, when she came back.

"Fine, considering it was just our first day. It got deadbeat boring in the middle of the day and towards the end of the night though."

Hayeon nodded, and went back to her homework.

Taeyeon took a shower and then lay down on her futon. Before she could go to sleep, her phone buzzed.

[Jessica]
[Received 00:12] Are you asleep?
[Sent 00:12] nope y?
[Received 00:13] Are you sleeping soon?

It sounded like Jessica wanted a meeting. Taeyeon was feeling reluctant.

[Sent 00:14] y?
[Received 00:14] Do you want to watch a movie?
[Sent 00:15] isnt it past ur bedtime
[Sent 00:18] wad movie
[Received 00:19] Under the Stairs
[Sent 00:20] wtf
[Sent 00:20] ok
[Received 00:20] Ha. Come down.

Taeyeon changed out of her pyjamas into jeans and a sweater. Jessica was parked just outside in her sedan. They went to a nearby cinema. At this hour, the audience was composed mostly of university students. It was a horror movie, which was somewhat exciting, but the best thing about it was the lack of subtitles. It was their first local movie together; Jessica always wanted to watch American or British films.

On screen, the soundtrack started screeching and Taeyeon felt her heart race. The Under the Stairs protagonist crept down the stairs, and a headless woman suddenly appeared. Some girls screamed. Taeyeon almost dropped her soda when Jessica grabbed her arm. Jessica's eyes were squeezed shut, and she spent the rest of the movie holding onto Taeyeon and peeking through one hand.

"I hate horror films," Jessica said as they walked out of the theatre. She was still holding onto Taeyeon's arm. Her eyes were darting about as if she expected a ghost to jump out at her.

Taeyeon laughed at her. "You picked this movie."

"People talk so much about the superiority of Japanese and Korean horror... I thought they would actually be good," Jessica said.

"It was exciting to watch."

"You're a freak."

Taeyeon chuckled. "Are we going to go home now? It's almost three, you know."

"Come to my apartment."

Taeyeon wanted to. She missed this normal Jessica. She missed them just spending time together doing normal and doing regular people things.

Jessica noticed her hesitance. "Come on, Taeyeon. We won't do anything. We'll just rest. I don't want to be alone tonight."

Taeyeon wanted to say, 'We're not together anymore, Jessica.' but what came out was, "Scared of the dark?"

"No."

"Then I'll just go home, thanks."

"Okay, fine. I don't want to go home after watching that retarded movie, so... come?"

"Right. You look really scared but somehow I think you picked a horror movie on purpose, like you knew you'd be like this. This is a one time thing, Jessica Jung Sooyeon. And you owe me ice cream."

A smile leaked on Jessica' face and Taeyeon shook her head. "To think that you were still so moody this morning."

Jessica smirked. Taeyeon could still see the grief in her eyes. But tonight was good. It was progress. Jessica was trying to get over it.

Back at the apartment, they had to both sleep in Jessica's room. Jessica spread out a blanket over her yoga mat on the floor.

"Normally as the guest, you would be taking the bed, but right now I don't think I can have the bottom of my bed in my peripheral vision. I'd rather the monster get you first and give me time to escape from the room," Jessica said.

"Way to go, princess."

"Or... you could sleep on the bed with me?"

Taeyeon frowned. "Don't push it, Jessica."

Jessica nodded. "Okay, I got it."

They left the living room light on and opened Jessica's door a crack so that it would not be completely dark.

Taeyeon stared at the ceiling. The last time she had slept next to Jessica, they had fallen out because of her sleeptalking and nightmares. Right now, she was exhausted from the long day and sleep seemed so enticing. But the past month had taught her that Jessica could sleep through a death metal concert as long as nobody touched her. So this time, Taeyeon closed her eyes and soon fell asleep.

Taeyeon was flying down the stairs again, running towards Hayeon. Again, she missed a step and tumbled, scraping her knees and arms against the glass shards on the floor. She scrambled to her feet, but then a headless woman jumped out and grabbed her.

Taeyeon screamed.

Hayeon was crying at the entrance. Taeyeon was trying to pull away from the clammy hands latching on to her, but when she turned to reach out to Hayeon, her sister was backing away in terror. Hayeon turned around and ran.

"No! Help me!"

The headless woman was dragging her up the stairs now. Taeyeon tried to resist, but her twelve-year old self was too weak. And her twisted ankle was screaming in agony. She was crying. There was a man with an axe at the home entrance. He handed the headless woman her head, and she exchanged Taeyeon for it. The man was the town council mayor. 

The man dragged her to the living room. "Look at them!"

"No!" But Taeyeon could not turn away.

"Look at your mother!"

She could not close her eyes.

"You should have been here with your sister. It was supposed to be clean ending!" The mayor shouted. He threw Taeyeon forward into her mother's body. Her mother was cold, rigid and dead. Her eyes were right next to red, gaping hole in her mother's neck. To her horror, her mother and reached out to hold her by the shoulders.

She could hear it now, the whistle of the axe coming down on her head. Her mother blinked. She heard a thud and pain explode at the back of her skull.

Taeyeon woke up. The back of her head was hurting, She had slammed it into the bed post. Jessica had woken up. She jumped off the bed. "Taeyeon, what's wrong?"

Taeyeon rubbed the back of her head furiously. Jessica the room lights and Taeyeon squinted at her as she came back. She checked Taeyeon's head. "There's a bump. Why are you sweating so much?"

This was the worst nightmare she remembered having. Her chest was tight. Taeyeon tried to collect herself. She waved Jessica away and went to the bathroom. She splashed cold water on her face. When she looked up at the mirror, she saw her own face drenched with blood. She screamed.

Jessica came running out of her room, and Taeyeon ran straight to her. She pushed the other woman back into the room and locked the door from the inside. Then she backed to the other side of the room.

"What's outside? Why did you scream?"

Taeyeon rubbed a hand over her face. It was just water. "The-there was blood on me, everywhere."

"Taeyeon, you're scaring me. What's going on?"

Taeyeon turned to face the corner of the room. She covered her eyes in the crook of her elbow as she began to cry. She felt Jessica walk up behind her, and she tried to get a grip on herself. Jessica wrapped her arms around Taeyeon from behind and said, "Shh, it's okay. I don't know what's going on, but it's not real."

Taeyeon's shoulders started to shake uncontrollably.

"I'm sorry. We shouldn't have watched that movie."

"It wasn't the movie... Not really. I just... I just keep having these nightmares. I can't forget it. I want to forget it. I want it to stop. I don't want to remember them."

"Who's they?"

"My umma, appa... oppa..."

Jessica's embrace tightened, and Taeyeon felt safe. She started to calm down. When she was done crying, her eyes felt sore. She was embarrassed. Without turning around, she said, "Could you turn off the lights? Let's go back to sleep."

Jessica went to turn off the lights. Taeyeon bent down to return to the floor, but Jessica brought her to the bed and made her take the side closer to the wall, and then pulled the blanket over them. Taeyeon said nothing. She needed Jessica beside her at the moment.

Taeyeon's alarm went off at eight-thirty. Her eyes were puffy. The back of her head was sore. She tried to crawl over Jessica to get off the bed, but Jessica woke up at the shift in weight of the bed.

"Going to Hongdae?"

"Yes."

"I'll drive you."

On the ride to Hongdae, Jessica said nothing of yesterday night. For that, Taeyeon was grateful. She asked, "What are you doing today?"

"Going to hit the gym. Maybe I'll meet Krystal for lunch."

"That's great."

"And... about before, I'm sorry for accusing you, for hitting you, and for making you lose your job at the gym. I'll never do it again. I don't expect you to forgive and forget, so thank you for staying here and getting me through this."

"There's no need to thank me," Taeyeon said. "Don't make things awkward."

The drive to Hongdae continued and ended in silence.

"Taeyeon."

"Hmm?"

"Do you think we can ever return to the way things were?"

Taeyeon sighed. Then she grinned. "Are you taking advantage of me when my defenses are low?"

"No, it was just a thought. Like a related thought."

"Whatever you say," Taeyeon said. She stuck out her tongue. "See you another time!"

Before Jessica could demand a serious answer, she skipped out of the car and hopped into the restaurant.

 


 

Taeyeon was busy at Shikshin Paradise and did not see Jessica until the following Monday, when she had a day off from the restaurant. She wanted to see how Jessica was coping now. She claimed her ice cream treat, and Jessica brought them to a Taiwanese shaved ice shop, because it was healthier than ice cream. She got a matcha bowl topped with red bean and goguma mochi.

Jessoca stuck a spoon in and stole a bite before Taeyeon could taste it.

"I think you just took me here because you wanted to eat this."

"Bingo," Jessica said.

"I didn't know you ate dessert, Miss Zero Fat."

"Yeah, but Tiff," Jessica caught herself. Her face dropped. "She liked to eat this stuff."

"Ah. Well, this is really good."

Jessica nodded noncommitally.

"How's Krystal?"

"She's busy with school."

"Do you have any matches coming up?"

"Yeah. I have an amateur match up in two weeks. It's been a long time since the last fight, but I've been training and I feel good. Top form. I'm going to beat her."

"Who's your opponent?"

"A Taekwondo-slash-Hapkido kid. She's sure to have a lot of supporters just for practicing Korean martial arts. She's new and undefeated, 5-0, so I'll have to watch out. But like I said, I'm going to show her the strength of having 18 more wins."

"Humble as always. I'm sure you will."

"Do you think you could come?"

"When is it?"

"Thursday night."

Taeyeon shook her head. "Sorry. I have to be at Shikshin,"

"No worries."

"I'll be supporting you in spirit though!" Taeyeon said. "You have to win, got it?"

Jessica chuckled. "It's like you have some internal switch that labeled Christmas Came Early."

Taeyeon stuck out her tongue. "Hey, no calling me out on this stuff. No more shaved ice for you."

Her phone rang. It was Sunny.

"Taeyeon! Is Jessica with you?"

"Yes, why?"

"Could you put her on?"

"Okay. I'll switch it to speakerphone."

"Wait! Don't, it's not safe."

"Oh, okay." Not safe?

Jessica took Taeyeon's phone. As she listened to Sunny, her expression got dark. "What the ? Like hell I'm going to."

She handed the phone back to Taeyeon. "Hello, Sunny?"

"Taeyeon? Oh my goodness, you have to convince Jessica."

"Of what?"

"We just got cornered by two guys who said they were from the gang, you know the one that broke into our car and then killed Tiffany? They wanted compensation for the Tattoo guy's incarceration. They think the other guy who got the life sentence is paid by Tiffany's death, whatever that means. I'm so furious. I'm so mad right now I can't even."

Taeyeon was angry too. She did not have the words. "What did they want?"

"They wanted money. I think they're going to tell Jessica the same thing."

"What the heck? How much?"

"One million won per person."

"That's ridiculous! Screw them. Call the cops."

"We're not going to the police. The gang knows who we are and I don't know what they'd do if we do. Hyoyeon, Seohyun and I are going to get the money for them."

"Do you have enough?"

"We can get it. Don't worry about us. So you have to tell Jessica that she has to give them the money. The gangsters will do bad things to her."

"Okay, don't worry," Taeyeon said. They ended the call. Knowing Jessica, even though she probably had much more than a million won in the back, this would be a hard proposition to sell.

"I'm not giving them ."

"Jessica, you have to. They could hurt you."

"I'll be ready for them."

"Jessica, there won't just be one guy. And they'll have weapons, and knives."

"I know that!" Jessica said, eyes flashing. Tiffany had died from a stab wound, so of course she did. How dare Taeyeon bring it up?

"Then why are you looking for a fight?" Taeyeon asked. "You're trying to play their game."

Jessica breathed through her nose. "Let's not talk about this."

"Listen to me."

"Talk about something else," Jessica said. "I'll think about it, okay? But I can't promise to be all submissive to them if they come up to me with their self-righteous gangster asses. They have no right to be ting over Tiff's death."

"Okay. Just... be calm about this."

 


 

Since they moved to Shikshin Paradise, Taeyeon had not seen their regulars much. Sunny, Hyoyeon and Seohyun had come for dinner once as support. Yuri and Sunny came on a date last Saturday. Some of their other old customers did drop in for a lunch or dinner, but because of the change of location and time, they were acquiring a whole new set of customers. They had been featured in a few food blogs and local magazines to favorable reviews, so people were coming in curious and leaving satisfied. The restaurant did not have lines like the others in Hongdae did, but it was just the start. In two months time, at this rate, they would break even.

Sooyoung was a complete boss. By the hard opening, she had refined the menu, cutting out some boring dishes and inventing a few spicy ones, and they were set to go. Taeyeon hired one server and a dishwasher. She established the out-kitchen workflow and made sure that the customers were surprised by the service. It was tiring, but just starting a real restaurant was knew for Sooyoung and Taeyeon, so they were extremely motivated.

Taeyeon had not met Jessica again during this time either. They texted each other, but Jessica never met with her because she had self-imposed a lockdown in preparation for the upcoming match. It was the first since her loss, and her training had been affected by the events that piled on top of each other since then. On paper, it was a small match with only three hundred thousand won at stake. Off paper though, it was big for both Jessica and her opponent. Beating Jessica was basically an Olympic gold medal in the Korean amateur leagues.

And today was that match. Taeyeon had set a reminder alert on her phone, so she remembered to text Jessica encouragement.

The evening crowd was heavy. A lot of people were ordering the kimchi dumplings and barbecued pork noodles. The new waiter, Sunggyu, had worked at McDonald's before, but this was his first serving gig so he was not used to all the things he had to do. Taeyeon rushed about, in charge of a big chunk of the tables.

Then a new customer came in. It was Jessica. Her slightly bruised face was expressionless except for the excitement lighting up her eyes. Taeyeon could tell that she was happy. She brought over a cup of iced water. "Did you win?"

Jessica nodded. "K.O. in the second round."

"Yes!" Taeyeon said, jumping in the air. "You might have to wait for ten minutes."

"I got time."

"Oh wait." Taeyeon took back the cup of water. "Since you won, you should drink something other than water. Do you want sikhye? Our Soojin-unnie makes awesome sikhye."

"Hmm, okay."

"It's seriously the best sikhye ever." Taeyeon went to pour a cup and brought it back to Jessica, and then she went back to work.

A table for two finally cleared, and Taeyeon traded tables with Sunggyu, since it was in his section, to sit Jessica there.

"What's good here?"

"I'll get you what everyone seems to be getting, and red bean hoeddeok, and one seolleongtang. And japchae."

"Good. Tteokbokki?"

"That too. Coming right up, number one food for the number one in Korea!"

Jessica wolfed down the food as they came. She packed japchae for lunch tomorrow before leaving. Taeyeon was surprised when Jessica came back when they were closing. Sunggyu was mopping the floor, and she was counting the money.

"Sleepover at my apartment?"

"I have to run this place tomorrow."

"We'll just be sleeping."

"Okay, fine."

Jessica smiled.

"Tae."

They turned around. Sooyoung had her hands on her hips. "Why does she have to go to your apartment? What overnight business could you possibly have?"

"We're friends," Jessica said, voice cold. "Friends sleepover."

"You're not just friends," Sooyoung said. "Have you forgotten that you broke my friend's heart and hit her and left her stranded in the middle of nowhere? It's bad enough that you come here acting like nothing happened."

"I made a big mistake. And... I apologized about that. I didn't mean it."

"You think you can just say sorry the next time too?"

"I won't do it again. I'll never raise my hand against Taeyeon again," Jessica said. She was working her jaw, and her fists were clenched tight.

Sooyoung was adamant. "Tae's still not going anywhere alone with you, Jessica."

"That's Taeyeon's decision, not yours," Jessica grinded out. She looked at Taeyeon, who looked at Sooyoung.

"Tae, you better not step a foot outside of this place with her," Sooyoung said.

Taeyeon looked down. Sooyoung was right. Jessica wanted something more than 'just friends'. If she went this once, they would do it again and again, and soon she wouldn't be able to just let her feelings for Jessica be. Then again, this was Jessica's day. She had just won a crucial match and was recovering from her grief. Taeyeon had no business disrupting that. "Jessica, wait here. Soo, let's talk in the kitchen."

Sooyoung burst as soon as they walked in. She whispered, "What are you doing? Are you crazy? You're acting like you're still her girlfriend."

"I know you're right. I know I still like her. But I am going to go," Taeyeon said.

"Fine. Whatever you want."

Taeyeon looked at her. That easy?

"It's not like I can actually stop you. And... you've been there for her this whole time about Tiffany anyway. Just... be careful, okay?"

Taeyeon hugged her. "Thanks."

"If she does anything to you, you better come to me, and I'll beat you up myself before I go kill her."

Taeyeon giggled. "Right."

"Damn lesbians. If you had a natural relationship we wouldn't be having all this trouble."

"Get a boyfriend first, Soo, and prove it to me. Then maybe I'll play on your team," Taeyeon said. She skipped out and grabbed Jessica's hand on the way out. "Bye Soojin-unnie! Bye Sunggyu! Bye homophobe!"

It was a peaceful drive back. Taeyeon was tired, so Jessica just rambled on with a play-by-play description of her fight. They parked and walked to the lobby, where two men were standing. Both were tattooed up to their necks, and had leather jackets and black pants like gangsters. They were nursing a cigarette each. When they saw Jessica, they blocked the building entrance.

The taller one said, "Your ten days are up. We've come to collect our money."