Getting better, maybe

Bam City

A/N: Wow, thank you so much for the comments and subscriptions!! Thanks for the feedback... Some of you are making great guesses too:)
And, sorry but there's a location name error in the first chapter... Taeyeon and Sooyoung's goshiwon building and food stall are in Daehak-dong, not 'Daeguk-dong'

 


 

CHAPTER TWO: Getting better, maybe


"Midget, it's seven-ten. Why are you still here?" Sooyoung asked.

"Don't you want me to help you clean up?" Taeyeon asked. "I got fired from Shopping Express, so I have time now."

"You what?" 

"Got fired," Taeyeon repeated. 

"And you came in to work without telling me? How can you be so calm? Did your chronic headache finally kill your brain?"

"Jessica got me a new job at the gym she works out at, and I start in two weeks. It gives me weekends off. So we should hang out more instead of working all the time."

"Jessica? Whoa, whoa, hold on there. I think there's some long story here," Sooyoung said. She walked over to the fridge and pulled out two bottles of soju, throwing one to Taeyeon. They sat down at a table and clinked their bottles together. "I know you're enjoying finally going over my head for once, short stuff, but you better spill and return to your rightful place."

"Screw you," Taeyeon said. She on the bottle for a while, and then told Sooyoung everything. Hayeon's outburst, her ty day which was more exhausting than usual, being late and getting fired, meeting Jessica and Krystal, and then going to Jessica's gym and getting a new day job.

The gym in question was located in Seorim, the town adjacent to Daehak. Taeyeon described it to Sooyoung. It was a plain, one-storey square building on the corner of a street. There was a carpark at the side, but Taeyeon was not going to need it. There was a boxing ring, mats on the floor, and a rack full of headgear and free weights. There was also a bench press station, pull up bars, cycling machines and treadmills. There were stacks of boxing pads and an area with punching bags and wooden posts. 

There were a lot of men with buzz cuts working out. The only woman working out was Tiffany, who had been doing situps as fast as Sooyoung could chew. Sooyoung snorted at that.

The owner was a pug nosed man called Lee Soo Man. He was a sixty-year old with a physique of a forty-year old, and was an ex-professional boxer reknowned in the Korean circuit. The gym attracted mostly police officers and university students living in the area, but there were some serious amateur and professional practitioners who either boxed or did MMA for a living. 

There was a Kim Yoojin at the counter. She was expecting and had been planning to take maternal leave in four weeks, for the next five months. Jessica told Mr. Lee to let her off two weeks earlier, and hire Taeyeon instead.

"Another Kim," Mr. Lee had said. "Good. I hate remembering new names. Kim, tell New Kim your job duties. New Kim, get a pen and paper and take notes because Kim won't explain it twice. And then you tell me if you feel like working here. If someone like Jung thinks I should hire you I don't need to waste time with interviews."

So Yoojin went over her daily responsibilities. Nine to three was manning the front desk for new members registration, keeping the books by filling out a daily financial report, and answering phone calls. Eight to four was monitoring and cleaning the gym equipment twice a day, stocking water regularly, wiping the floor mats in the morning, and washing the restroom once. Any down time from eight to five would be acting as a training assistant if any of the coaches saw fit. She would have a one-hour lunch break every day.

"Kim, what are you being paid currently?"

"Eight an hour," Yoojin had replied.

"New Kim, you're green so you will get six-fifty an hour."

That was more than thirteen million won a year, two million more than what she had made at Shopping Express. She signed the contract immediately.

Sooyoung gaped at Taeyeon. "Did you thank Jessica?"

"Of course I did."

"She's like Santa Claus. I didn't know the ice princess had it in her. Tiffany, maybe, but Jessica Jung who smiles like the sun died?"

"I know right. I learned so much about her in one day compared to the whole year they've been coming to our stall."

"We should befriend them for real," Sooyoung said. "Like actually hang out together. And you should marry her. She's a woman so she's right for you."
 
"Oh my god shut up, Christian Soo. She's not interested in me."

"Why not? You're shorter than her, which is a miracle, and you're stupid enough to be the whipped girlfriend. And you have short hair. Just cut it a bit more and it'll be butch."

"If you haven't noticed, she's the best in Korea at something, while I'm a nobody juggling two jobs. Besides, she looks like she belongs on a magazine cover."

"But you two have so much in common!"

Taeyeon pretended to think about it. Ever since her rejected confession seven years ago, the pious giant was always trying to match make her with every woman she talked to not named 'Choi Sooyoung'. "Yeah, we're both female, and we both have younger sisters to send to SNU. You're no doubt a religious person."

"Pssh," Sooyoung said. She cracked out second bottles for both of them. "Speaking of dongsaengs, Hayeon went way outta line. Want me to talk to her?"

Taeyeon's smile soured. She drowned half the bottle before the burn doused the fire inside of her. "Maybe. I dunno."

"Have you talked to her?"

"She hasn't apologized yet."

"Okay. You have a right to wait for a while, but if it drags too long you better eat your ego. It'll get too awkward to repair."

"Yes, sir Choi."

"Don't forget that she's still a teenager," Sooyoung continued.

"Yessir," Taeyeon said, emptying the bottle. She stood up, stamped to attention and saluted.

 


 

Taeyeon relaxed for the next two weeks, which meant that she only worked the stall with Sooyoung. After closing shop, she went to the wet market too and they bought the food needed for the coming night. She had dragged her sleeping mat next door's to sleep at Sooyoung's. One, it would disturb Hayeon's admittance test preparations since they slept during the day. Two, she did not want to see her sister yet.

Tiffany invited them to watch Jessica's match on Saturday afternoon. They usually declined because of work, but because of circumstances, Sooyoung convinced Taeyeon to go. The extra pay from her new job would more than make up for one night's break. They told their customers about the day off starting a week in advance.

It was a tournament was between some of Japan and Korea's best female MMA fighters. The stadium was a converted badminton hall, with a cage set up at the center of the floor. Jessica was in the featherweight class, so her match was first. The lightweight and middleweight classes would follow. It was a match against Japan's Naho "Sugi Rock" Sugisaki. 

They were flyers at the entrance. Taeyeon picked up the one for featherweight:
'World's number four, Naho 'Sugi Rock' Sugisaki, versus Korea's number one, Jung 'Jessica' Sooyeon! Jessica is currently at number seven, and is challenging Sugi Rock's position. Sugi Rock is a veteran in Japan, having won the JEWEL championships once. Her record is 22-7. Jessica's record is cleaner at 11-0, but she is a comparative greenhorn, and has never fought a Japanese. Who will win?'

In the waiting room, Jessica had finished warming up and her neck was slick with sweat. She was wearing a gray hoodie to keep warm. Her coach was telling her about Sugisaki and they were talking strategy. Tiffany came to greet Sooyoung and Taeyeon.

"Tiffany-ssi," Taeyeon, the youngest of the three, greeted with a head nod. 

"Hola. Jess said you call her Jessica now."

"Yes she did," Taeyeon said.

"Well it's going to be awkward when we start seeing each other at the gym and you call me 'unnie' like I'm older than Jess," Tiffany said. "It's funny how she's the one who has been living in Korea longer than me. I hate how she always gets the first shot."

"Um... I can call you 'unnie' when she's not around?" Taeyeon suggested.

"Nah. Call me Tiffany. And let me call you Taetae since you don't have to use honorifics with me."

"Sure." This whole arrangement was not very Korean in the first place, and this strange 'Taetae' thing even more so.

"You're a very particular person," Sooyoung said.

"It's just the way I am," Tiffany said. She had bulky boxer biceps, so neither of them was going to say anything against her. "I'm glad that you girls could finally come! I hope you attend my next match too."

"We'll try our best."

Someone knocked on the door and called out behind it, "Jung, up in two!"

The coach left the room, and Jessica hopped to her feet. Tiffany walked to her and the two put their heads together. Tiffany clasped her hands together and muttered in a low voice, although her whisper was loud enough for everyone in the room to hear her clearly. She was praying for Jessica's safety. Jessica did not echo an 'amen', but patted Tiffany on the shoulder.

Jessica turned to Taeyeon and Sooyoung, her face set. Taeyeon froze under that icy stare. "Sooyoung. Taeyeon. Thanks for coming."

"All the best! If you win you get a free dinner," Sooyoung said.

"No consolation dinner?"

"Oh, that's right," Taeyeon said. "We'll give you two. Wait... that's not a good incentive..."

"Please excuse Tae, she was born with half a brain," Sooyoung said.

Jessica grinned, but on her game face it looked more like a smirk. "You two should go get seated. Tiff will show you where."

 


 

Jessica pulled off her hoodie. She was wearing purple sports bra and shorts. Her opponent was dressed in green and black. They climbed into the cage and met each other in the center. Both women had steel thighs and defined abs. It would have turned Taeyeon on if not for how nervous she was feeling at the moment. 

"How long's the fight?" she asked Tiffany.

"There are three five-minute rounds, with a minute's break in between. The referee can end the match if he decides there's a clear win, like a KO. If not the scores decide who wins."

"It'll be over in like fifteen minutes?"

"It doesn't sound like much, but it is," Tiffany said. "In title fights it would be up to five five-minute rounds, but those are crazy exhausting."

The referee grabbed them by the forearm while another guy held a mic up to the referee's mouth. "I want a clean, fair fight. I want you two to obey my commands at all times. I want you to protect yourselves at all times. Any questions? Touch your knuckles; best of luck to both of you."

Their fists met briefly and then the two stepped away from each other to the ends of the cage. They bounced on the balls of their feet. Then the bell rang and Jessica crouched down, fists up and guarding her face. She dashed forward and Sugi Rock came up to meet her.

They seemed to feel each other out with long punches to the face, and then suddenly Sugi Rock slipped through Jessica's jab, but Jessica swayed back before Sugi Rock could connect, and her fist flashed out into Sugi Rock's face.

"Good counter!" Tiffany shouted.

Taeyeon did not really understand what was going on. They scuffled and then Sugi Rock was clinching onto Jessica, who backed her into the wall of the cage. Sugi Rock jabbed at Jessica's side until Jessica twisted once and kneed her opponent. They broke away from each other, then went back to punching.

Jessica dodged a hook-jab combination and managed to hit Sugi Rock in the left eye. Tiffany said that the Japanese's brow was cut and the blood would obstruct her view, giving Jessica the upper hand.

And then first round was over. Jessica, Sooyoung and Taeyeon cheered and yelled encouragements.

The break was over as soon as it started. This time, Sugi Rock took the initiative. She almost seemed to scoop Jessica up before slamming the woman down. Straddling her stunned opponent, Sugi Rock hammered Jessica in the head repeatedly. Taeyeon gasped. The referee almost intervened but Jessica threw Sugi Rock off her and scrambled to her feet and away.

Jessica's nose was trailing blood on the floor and the right side of her face was red. She stumbled, and Sugi Rock surged forward. Jessica whipped several kicks into her opponent's thighs and calves. In exchange, Sugi Rock clipped Jessica a few times, breaking through several blocks. And then they were back in a cinch and Jessica's guard was swatted away and pummeled in the ribs. Jessica got a few shots on Sugi Rock's ear, but they looked weak to Taeyeon even though Tiffany whooped.

Sugi Rock leg-tripped Jessica and the two tumbled into a body lock. Jessica got pounded in rapid succession, before she kicked off the floor, twisted up and turned the tables. The bell dinged and the second round was over. 

Taeyeon released a breath she did not know she had been holding. She remembered how much it hurt when she got beaten up in the past. This looked way worse.

Jessica seemed to collapse onto the chair, and her coach emptied a water bottle over her head. Her eyes refocused.

"JESSICA YOU BETTER NOT ING LOSE!" Tiffany shouted. Two pairs of eardrums next to her exploded.

The third round began. They exchanged punches again, bobbing and weaving sharply. Then Sugi Rock caught Jessica in a small punch and was following up with a wide swing when Jessica's leg lashed out. Her shin connected with Sugi Rock's ear with a loud thud that everyone heard. Sugi Rock dropped to the floor, and Jessica jumped onto her, pounding her face until the referee pulled her off.

"Jessica wins with a stunning KO. Now she's fourth in the world at 12-0," the announcer said. "In half an hour, the lightweight match between Ayaka Hamasaki and Seo Heeham will begin."

Screaming with glee, Tiffany ran back to Jessica's waiting room. Taeyeon and Sooyoung hurried after her.

"That was so scary, dammit. I don't think I could sit through another fight," Sooyoung said.

"Yeah, oh man I hope she's okay," Taeyeon said.

Jessica said she was fine. The ringside doctor came to do a checkup. She had sprained her ankle during the second match's stumble and her trainer was half carrying her as she limped to the chair. Her nose was thankfully unbroken, but her lips were cut and the side of her face was swollen. Her right eye was blackened shut, and her exposed torso was bruised like someone had taken a bat to it.

Taeyeon helped her gloves off and unwinded the tape. Jessica's knuckles were red and callused from daily training. The doctor declared that her hands were fine.

At the end of the day, Jessica accepted a check of two million won for her win. Her next professional match would be in a month. She would have a couple amateur matches in between, and those paid more.

Now Taeyeon knew how Jessica did it, and knew that she would never be able to train that hard, move that fast, take hits that hard and still win. Again and again and again. She felt ashamed of her own whining. She had it good with her unskilled labor that anyone willing could do.

Tiffany invited Taeyeon and Sooyoung on the van ride back to Gwanak district, the SNU area. Taeyeon went to the backseat, and Tiffany practically pushed Jessica towards the back.

"My ankle, Tiff!"

But Tiffany continued prodding her. Jessica grimaced as she limped forward. 

Taeyeon wanted to help her without it being awkward, so she broke into song and waved her hands in the air. "Jessica-UNNIE, I'm your biggest fan!"

She took Jessica by the elbow and helped her sit down. "I can't believe I'm getting to see you in real life."

She reached over and drew the seatbelt and buckled it. "Please sign my bra, UNNIE."

Jessica chuckled. "Heol, daebak sagun. I don't allow erts to be my fans, minion."

Taeyeon gasped and clutched her heart, crying. She fell back against the side of the car, be her inadequacies.

"I can't believe she's getting to call me Tiffany. 'Taetae' doesn't sound juvenile enough right now."

"I told you the midget hit her head one too many times."

Taeyeon ignored them and continued whinnying. Then Jessica kissed two fingers and pressed them to Taeyeon's lips.

Tiffany and Sooyoung twisted around at the abrupt silence, but all they saw was one stone-faced cagefighter and one wide-eyed kid.

 


 

Taeyeon returned home humming. Hayeon was out. There were torn envelopes and opened letters on the table. Taeyeon picked them up. They were results from the scholarship tests Hayeon had taken at safety universities.

All of them were in the red. This never happened. 

She knew that Hayeon was hiding something, but what her sister said to cover it up still hurt, because it meant that some of it was sincere. Whatever she was hiding, Taeyeon did not think it warranted that.

She sighed. She should let it go. When her life went to , all it took was an act of kindness from somebody else to get back on her feet. First it was Sooyoung, and now it was Jessica. Hayeon seemed like she could do with that kind of unconditional support right now.

She put down the letters and went to the communal bathrooms for a shower. One of the shower stalls was already occupied. The water was running hard, and Taeyeon could hear someone crying. She awkwardly made her way to the furthest stall and pulled the shower curtains shut. She took off her clothes normally.

The someone four stalls down sobbed, and it sounded like Hayeon. Taeyeon paused and listened carefully. It was her sister. Not bothering to put her bra back on, Taeyeon slipped on her shirt and walked over.

She stood outside, hesitating. She had never really talked to her sister like this before because she had never really seen it. Even when she was around, she never had the energy to show her concern. "Hayeon, is that you?"

The crying stopped.

"Are you okay?"

Taeyeon was about to enter when Hayeon replied. "Yes. Now go away."

"What's wrong?"

"I told you to go away!"

"I saw the test letters. It's okay."

The bitter edge returned to Hayeon's voice. "Of course it's okay. They were just for safety schools. It was pointless taking those tests."

"Hayeon... what's really wrong?"

Hayeon's shower stopped running. "It wouldn't matter to you if it wasn't SNU, right, unnie? You're not umma-"

"Yah!" Taeyeon yelled. She entered Hayeon's stall and pulled the curtains behind her.

"What are you doing? Get out!" Hayeon screamed.

Taeyeon held her ground as her sister tried shoving her out. Before she could control herself, a short stream of tears slipped out of one eye and she wiped it quickly, but Hayeon saw it. The struggling stopped. Hayeon turned away and looked at her feet.

"It hurts when you say things like that," Taeyeon muttered.

"I'm sorry."

"I never wanted to burden you with my expectations," Taeyeon said. "It's sounds stupid but I just want to do right by you. I just assumed it was what you deserve since you have so much potential."

Hayeon started crying again. Taeyeon swallowed hard. "You don't have to explain why you said those things. I understand."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean them," Hayeon said, but Taeyeon knew some part of her did.

"If you're struggling with something, you can tell me," Taeyeon continued. "I promise I won't get mad. I won't judge. I won't pry. I'll try to help you if you want me to."

Hayeon said nothing.

"I'm your older sister, and I'll always believe in you," Taeyeon said.

"Thank you, unnie. I'll... I'll tell you when I'm ready."

Taeyeon nodded even though Hayeon could not see it, and went back to her stall. She picked up her clothes and shower caddy, and went to the bathrooms on the next floor to give her sister space.

 


 

A/N: Infinity Challenge has done it yet again:D Love that show so much. Did you watch their 'Saturday is for Singers' series? If only there was a TV program like MuDo in twenty years for SNSD to do that old school.

Hope you enjoyed this, and let me know how I can improve! Thanks!