Seohyun's Party

Bam City

CHAPTER FOUR: Seohyun's Party

Taeyeon was at lunch with Tiffany because this was her third official day as Jessica's girlfriend. It was a bit scary to have lunch one-on-one with Tiffany because, well, she was Tiffany Hwang. Being called 'Taetae' just made her feel like a puppy.

Tiffany insisted on conducting a screening interview and Jessica had handed Taeyeon over because she was Tiffany's too. So the two went to The Big Western, a homey cafe that sold sandwiches and burgers, because an American restaurant was Tiffany's turf and not Taeyeon's.

While they were eating their food, Taeyeon relaxed because Tiffany just talked about Jessica's past love life. Jessica had not had a partner since she became a professional fighter, but prior to that she had two boyfriends and three girlfriends. 

"One was a cheating bastard, two were stalemates, and two were es," Tiffany said. "She has ty taste."

Taeyeon nodded, wondering what she was then.

"But, I've been pushing for you two," Tiffany said. That was true. Taeyeon always thought Tiffany was a supreme endorser because of all the opportunities she created for Jessica and Taeyeon to have little moments at the stall and at work. But this whole interview that Tiffany had organized was as bizarre as her insistence on 'Taetae'. "Because you seemed like a good person and I saw how you were into Jess at the stall."

"She mentioned you did."

"Who have you had in the past, when did you go out, and why did you break up?"

Taeyeon was glad that she did not have to answer such an intrusive question. "Sica's my first."

Tiffany's eyes widened in surprise. "No wonder you looked so needy all the time. You've got all this built up inside of you."

Taeyeon tried not to get pissed. Tiffany was blunt because she was older. Tiffany was straightforward because she was a foreigner. Tiffany said things thoughtlessly because she could snap Taeyeon's neck easily.

Tiffany's eyes disappeared as she smiled brightly. "I can rest easy since you're an innocent, Taetae. Just know this. You better not break Jessica's heart or I'll break your face."

Smiling back was hard. Taeyeon gulped. She wanted to put her tail between her legs and run away. "You don't have to worry about that. I think Sica's the dominant one in our relationship."

"Good. Okay. I approve. I hope you two will stay happy together," Tiffany said. And then she was back to an outgoing American, speaking a mile a minute. Even though Taeyeon was more reticent, Tiffany smoothed over any potholes and drove the conversation. Talking with Tiffany was effortless. By the time they left the restaurant, Taeyeon forgot how uncomfortable she had been at the beginning.

 


 

Tiffany was meeting Nickhun for dinner, so it was just Jessica and Taeyeon walking to the food stall. Taeyeon had been waiting for this. She wanted someone with experience, and her girlfriend had a younger sister who was five years younger too.

"My sister's been down a lot lately," Taeyeon said to Jessica. "She fell out with her best friend and has been stressed about school. I'm bad at comforting her. I don't know what to say."

Jessica pondered. "When Krystal gets sad about something, I just try to listen to her because that's what she wants. She just wants somebody she can say anything to who will take her every word seriously."

"I haven't done it before though. We don't really talk deep things with each other. She has her best friend, and I have Soo."

"And she's fallen out with her best friend so she doesn't have a listening ear right now. She doesn't need advice or anything, you know. Just explicitly make time for her."

"I mean, I do ask her about things but she won't tell me. She just cries and I told her I'll be there for her, but it's not like I can push her, right?"

"It sounds like you aren't doing anything wrong. Maybe she just needs time to open up to you."

Taeyeon sighed. "I wish she would hurry it up. She cries all the time and it doesn't seem healthy."

"Yeah."

Taeyeon kept walking, feeling like the issue was just as unresolved as before. She wished she had not brought the issue up. It made her look bad in front of Jessica.

So Taeyeon waited until the next morning when the stall only had one office worker who was sitting with a plate of twigim and drinking his fourth bottle of soju in silence. It was time to tap into Sooyoung's eternal wisdom.

"I'll talk to her," was Sooyoung's solution, eliminating the fault in this equation. Indeed, Sooyoung had looked after Hayeon and probably given her advice over the years when Taeyeon was out making money.

"You're an angel."

"I know."

"More people should know it. You should show everyone your halo," Taeyeon said. They would flock to this shining beacon of kindness. "You're the kind of person who should have a thousand loyal friends."

Sooyoung shrugged. Taeyeon and Hayeon were enough for her. "Maybe when I open my restaurant."

"Speaking of which, found a place yet?"

"There's bits of pieces in Dongdaemun and Sinchon. There's a back corner in Hongdae, but that's the most expensive."

"Hongdae." Taeyeon whistled. "All prime places though. Well the demographic of each area is slightly different. Who are your target customers?"

"The Hongdae type. I'd have to tone down the fanciness if it was the other two. I wanna experiment and stuff, you know."

"Sounds like you really want Hongdae."

"The extra rent though... And I'd have to make a substantial loan. And do a lot of official paperwork. What if I run out of money before it becomes a hit?"

"Come on, Soo. You're a freaking boss. We're like the best in Daehak at night and your menu is like nine menus in one, and no item is a dud. Our humble tent stall has transcended regular pojangmachas. You've already proven that your mad skills. It's gonna be way harder, but I believe in you."

"That's true. My food is the best," Sooyoung said.

"So humble. If only I could take a loan too, then we'd have more liquid to work with," Taeyeon said. "But, nevermind. At least, this time I'm legally on the grid so I can help you with the official stuff too."

"Yes, best pojangmacha manager."

Taeyeon grinned. This was what she was best at, maybe it was what she was born to do. Sooyoung, unlike her, had a clear goal, and Taeyeon decided that, since she could see it, she could share that vision too.

 


 

Taeyeon was at the gym, walking around, logging equipment condition on her clipboard, when she received a text from Sooyoung.

[Sooyoung]
[Received 13:42]
when's ur break?
[Sent 13:42]
just had it 0.o
[Received 13:43]
ok nvm. well i talked to hy. like 2 hrs. it's ok now. she said her thing with mz was just a guy thing, like suspected. she seemed receptive even tho i have no experience but bcos im just dat gud lol. but i think they'll get over it. it's a normal young person thing.
[Sent 13:44]
ok:)))))) haha teenagers^^ yay! thanks ure the best~
[Received 13:44]
ofc. go back to work
[Sent 13:44]
soo da best =P
[Received 13:52]
lol got busted. she tells u to stop paranoiding abt her.
[Sent 13:52]
well tell her im unnie<3
[Received 13:52]
wad m i ur msgr? yea but dun worry abt her. 
srsly dun.
im hereby the big big unnie here so dun worry i got this
[Sent 13:53]
fine:) luv u 2~
[Received 13:56]
gay no no. will pray for u

 


 

Yoona, Yuri, Sunny, Hyoyeon and Seohyun were seated at their table. Taeyeon walked over to collect their orders. Sunny cleared . "Taeyeon-nie, Seohyun-nie has something to say to you."

"What's up?" Taeyeon was in a good mood today. If Seohyun wanted organic sweet potatoes she would go to the supermarket especially to get some.

"Taeyeon-unnie," Seohyun said. Taeyeon had to lean in to hear better. "I'm turning twenty and wanted to invite you and Sooyoung-unnie to my birthday this Saturday. Everyone else here is invited too. It would be five-thirty at Outback Steakhouse, and then Sunny-unnie and Hyoyeon-unnie say they planned a surprise trail after that."

"Twenty? That's an important birthday. Thank you for inviting us, we're honored. I can make it. Sooyoung may only be able to stop by though. She's got run this shop. Let me ask her," Taeyeon said. She walked over to Sooyoung and told her to take the Saturday off. It was the third time they were taking days off in six years of operation and it was all in the span of less than three months. But turning twenty was important, and Seohyun was one of their most precious regulars. Taeyeon walked back to Seohyun's table. "We can both make it for the full day."

Seohyun said her thanks and the other four cheered. Sunny got Taeyeon and Sooyoung's phone numbers so that she could text them the suprise trail details after. Taeyeon suspected it was a lot more exciting than whatever the innocent Seohyun was anticipating.

 


 

The super-secret surprise trail was masterminded by Hyoyeon, who knew where all the hottest places were, and organized by Sunny, the queen of sociability.

Taeyeon and Sooyoung arrived at Gangnam's Outback Steakhouse on time. They gave Seohyun an envelope with a bookstore gift card inside before taking their seats at the end of the table with Sunny, Hyoyeon, Yuri and Yoona. Seohyun's former high school friends sat at the end of the table closer to Seohyun. She seemed a lot more human around her same-aged friends.

"None of them have birthdays before our maknae," Sunny said. "So we'll have her all to ourselves at the trail later." 

When the first birthday cake of the night came, Seohyun stood up and gave a little speech.

"Turning twenty is an important Coming of Age tradition in our culture, both old and new. I intend to experience both sides of it fully with the people at this table. You've accepted me as a friend or a dongsaeng, and for that I am grateful," Seohyun said. "As an adult now, I haven't specifically hashed out all the details yet, but I'll be more independent and responsible from now on so that I can be someone my friends and unnies are proud of."

Everyone around the table seemed to be holding in their laughter at Seohyun's sincere speech. Then Yoona and Yuri started clapping their hands to a beat and everyone sang the Happy Birthday song.

They left at seven-thirty on the dot and stopped by a classy bar. The bartender pumped a pint of beer for everyone. Sunny was solemn. "Seo Juhyun, we are honored to be in the presence of your first drink. Tonight, you are going to experience the full spectrum of Korean drinking. You will visit places and do things that I hope you forget."

Everyone clinked their glasses together and chugged, before heading to the noraebang rooms upstairs. Taeyeon bought Seohyun her first strawberry mojito, one of the many drinks the twenty year old was going to receive that day. Three drinks in, Taeyeon was buzzed. She was danced like a spazz with Sunny and Yoona. She forced Sooyoung to do a duet with Yuri and rap with Hyoyeon, so that her gentle giant would mingle with other people more.

Seohyun sang five songs in a row, and all of them were chanting her name like crazy. Then they challenged her to So Chan Hwee's 'Tears', and by now Seohyun was too intoxicated from drinking or singing to hold anything back. She went right up there with So Chan Hwee, and Taeyeon was screaming out and Sunny was crying like a proud mother. They played sake bomb before allowing themselves to call a limo to Hongdae. 

Hyoyeon's club of the night was Harlem, and they were first in line because she had her dance buddies stand in for them. This, Hyoyeon declared, was her birthday present for Seohyun. They went in, and the DJ was playing throbbing hip hop beats and the flashing lights were epileptic. Taeyeon drank a Dark Storm cocktail and entered this biual phase where she was grinding up against any guy or girl with an attractive . Hyoyeon recommended a Lightning Bottle and Taeyeon experienced the epiphany of intelligence where she could hold a conversation with Seohyun without feeling the slightest bit dumber.

Then Sunny was dragging her out of the club and they waved their wristbands through the NB2 club entrance, where Hyoyeon's dance friends had gone to line up at next, struggled through the throng of people on the main dance floor, and paid the extra fee to get into the VIP area.

Taeyeon and Sooyoung gaped as their compatriots started hyperventilating at the sight of a trio of famous people who were part of some idol group.

"What do you mean you don't know. We've been in YG clubs playing their songs all night long!" Hyoyeon screamed at them.

They got into a booth to rest, and Taeyeon fell asleep on Yoona's lap before someone slipped an ice ball down her shirt. She woke up and her head was vibrating on Yoona's jiggling lap because the girl was cracking up silently, so she laughed until tears were streaming down her cheeks. Finally, they hailed two taxis and went to Hyoyeon, Sunny and Seohyun's shared apartment.

Everyone collapsed into the living room, and Taeyeon crawled after Sunny to the kitchen. They managed to open the fridge long enough to take out the cake and Sunny became hysterical when Taeyeon emptied an entire match box to light the candles.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday Seobaby, happy birthday to you... Sowoneul malhaebwa!"

And Seohyun clasped her hands together like a good little girl and made her wish before blowing out the twenty candles.

The final gifts, Sunny's perfume and YoonYul's roses, were brought out. The only gift left for a twenty year-old was a kiss, but Sunny and Hyoyeon knew that their Seohyun wanted to save her first kiss for her first boyfriend, so Seohyun played spin the bottle and it pointed to Sunny then Yuri. The two went mouth on mouth. The kiss went long and hard, and everyone screamed like aboriginals around a fire, spectating a ritual.

 


 

Taeyeon woke up staring at a shoe rack. She was curled up among a disarray of footwear. She groaned and clambered to her feet. This was.... SunHyoSeo's apartment. Her bladder was bursting at its seams, so she went around trying to find a bathroom. She stumbled to the very end of the corridor and pushed the door open. There was a bathroom here. She walked past a bed with two women lying on it and went into the bathroom. She looked without seeing as she pulled down her pants and sat on the toilet seat. Sunny was lying on top of Yuri like a cicada on a fallen tree. 

Wow she really needed to pee. It was a minute of high intensity spraying before Taeyeon finally felt relieved. She flushed the toilet, washed her hands, and walked out, shutting the door softly behind her.

Everyone else was in the living room, passed out on the floor or couch. All of the people here were fully clothed, although Yoona had her feet in Sooyoung's shirt for warmth.

Taeyeon found eggs and cheese in the fridge, and bread on the counter, so she decided to make sandwiches for breakfast. She put a frying pan on the stove and when it was heated, spooned some butter onto it.

Sooyoung, of course, woke up next. She grabbed her stomach. "I want to eat that but I think I'm going to hurl. Do they have coffee?"

Taeyeon shrugged. Sooyoung poked around the cabinets and found some instant packets, so she made several mugs of coffee and shared one with Taeyeon.

"Thank god it''s still the weekend," Taeyeon mumbled. Sooyoung stared at the stove with dead eyes.

They woke everyone up in the living room for breakfast.

"Where's Sunny-unnie and Yuri-unnie?" Seohyun asked.

"In the room," Taeyeon replied.

"I'll go wake them," the dutiful maknae said.

Seohyun was down the corridor and knocking the door when Taeyeon realized why she was staring at Seohyun like it was the apopcalypse.

"Stop!" Taeyeon yelled. "Don't!"

Seohyun turned around, confused. And then the bedroom door opened, and Sooyoung, Hyoyeon, Yoona and Taeyeon froze as they stared past Seohyun and made eye contact with Sunny. They also saw Yuri on the bed staring at them. Seohyun was turning back to see who answered the door, but it slammed shut and they heard the click of a lock.

When Sunny and Yuri emerged again, they were fully clothed and red-faced. They all ate in the living room as the white noise of television news washed over them. They drowned their sandwiches with black coffee to tone down the hangovers. Everyone except Seohyun was probably thinking "holy Sunny and Yuri are a thing now", including Sunny and Yuri. Taeyeon thought that this was a relaatively peaceful reaction and wondered if this was a good time to come out of the closet and declare solidarity with the two. 

But when she opened , Sooyoung spoke first. "Tae, I don't think I can go to the market by myself today. Could you come with me?"

"Sure." It was too early to be melodramatic. She leaned back against the sofa, enjoying the quiet morning with her friends.

 


 

A/N: Thanks for all the comments and subscriptions from the last chapter! Hope you enjoyed this one.

I think 'cheap taengsic' is the best pairing right now.