Artist Links - #20

EUNHAE BONFIRE FEST 2015 - GRAND REVEAL!

Title: Artist Links

Name: [Redacted]

Tumblr and/or AFF username: [Redacted]

Prompt #: #20

Theme: romance

Place: any place you like!

Object/word prompts: none

Action: Donghae is a talented artist working in an art gallery with other artists who admire him a little bit too much. Reaching his breaking point after hearing his boyfriend vent his frustration of being harassed physically and verbally day in and day out, Hyukjae (heir to the powerful Lee Corporation) decides to make his role in Donghae’s life clear to everybody in the gallery.

Special kinks: no restrictions

Things not to be added: no bashing, no homo/biphobia

Preferences/other notes: Hyukjae’s appearance at the gallery should be unexpected and leave Donghae blushing like a schoolgirl in front of his colleagues. If it suits your fancy, feel free to add some office .

Prompt given by: [Anonymous]

Word Count: 2838

Rating: PG-13 (?)

Author’s/Artist’s Notes: Ahh!!! It has swears in it so if you're uncomfortable with swears then I'm sorry omg?? This was so fun and I hadn't written in a while so it was just a great way to break out of that, and even though it's rather short I hope it's okay! I loved the prompt actually since I love art as well even though there's barely any way to find that out in the actual fic HAHA <3 oh and it's very cheesy at the end bc I'm a cheesy loser hahah bye

Summary: Lee Donghae is a talented artist and boyfriend the the heir of the Lee Corporation, Lee Hyukjae. Things go down when Hyukjae finds out that Donghae isn't particularly having the best time at the gallery.


 

Artist Links

 

Donghae knocks lightly on the door before cracking it open slightly, almost frowning when he sees Hyukjae typing, eyebrows furrowed and tongue sticking out slightly in concentration. It’s not unusual for Hyukjae to be working through the lunch break, but Donghae still can’t help but worry. He clutches the folder of designs in his hand and opens the door further letting himself in.

“Wow.”

Hyukjae stops typing and looks up, clearly surprised. He smiles slightly upon seeing who it is, then types a bit more, presumably finishing his sentence. Donghae closes the door behind him and slides the folder on Hyukjae’s desk.

“You call me distracted. Seriously, Hyuk, it’s lunch time.”

Hyukjae leans back in his chair before letting out a loud sigh, bringing his hand to his forehead.

“Babe, I just… have a lot of work. I want to get these reports done by this week so I won’t have to work on them later.”

“They’re due next month Hyukjae, seriously, you’re being too hard on yourself,” he says simply. “Just do them at home tonight. Lunch won’t hurt. You’re not usually like this; you love to eat!” Donghae walks over to the cupboard in his boyfriend’s office and pulls out two sandwiches. “Come on, just a sandwich? For me?”

Hyukjae looks like he’s fighting an internal battle with himself, and when Donghae notices the slight shift in Hyukjae’s eyes and how he looks down at the sandwiches, he fights the urge to high five himself.

“I suppose one sandwich won’t hurt.”                       

 Donghae laughs and passes the sandwich over, the both of them going to sit over on the small black loveseat at the side of Hyukjae’s office. Donghae places the sandwich on the glass table in front of them after only just one bite.

“I already ate.”

Hyukjae laughs and leans into him, bumping shoulders, but continues to eat.

“I thought you were going to the gallery to eat,” Hyukjae starts, and Donghae wrinkles his nose. The older man is taken slightly aback, though is not surprised; Donghae had been complaining for the past month or two about the gallery.

“I really, really don’t want to deal with all that today, so I decided to have lunch here first. Plus, I had to give those files to the really annoying heir to the Lee Corporation. He’s so demanding.”

Hyukjae makes a face, clearly offended by the statement, and Donghae just laughs, leaning into the man.

“Don’t be an idiot, Hyukjae. I just didn’t want to go. I’ll go later, promise.”

“Why though?” Hyukjae presses. “You’ve been complaining and hating it for ages and you never tell me why, Hae.”

Donghae sighs a bit, and Hyukjae puts down the rest of the sandwich on the table.

“It’s just… there are these guys who keep coming in… and they keep commenting on my appearance and touching me. Not in a ual way, most of the time, but sometimes… it’s just a bit too much for me, you know?”

Hyukjae furrows his brows, lips turning down slightly. “What the hell? At an art gallery? Do they have any respect at all? And is it the same guys every time?” There are many more questions on his mind but he can’t seem to focus as rage bubbles up.

Donghae laughs it off and stands up.

“I’ll be fine Hyukjae, honestly. I’ll just go now, see you at home.”

Before Donghae can turn and leave, Hyukjae stands up and places a small kiss on the corner of his cheek, leaving Donghae blushing slightly.

“Have a good day, babe. Don’t let them get to you.”

 

 

 

Adjusting his hat and sunglasses, Hyukjae walks through the doors of his boyfriend’s gallery. His hands are rather clammy and his heart is beating faster than usual with the fear that Donghae might see through his rather pathetic disguise immediately. However, Donghae is in the corner with a few middle school students, talking happily and gesturing at some of his illustrations with a twinkle in his eye. Hyukjae’s heart beats faster for a different reason and he’s reminded why he loves the man so much.

When he walks closer, he hears the students asking about techniques and how long Donghae has been drawing. Hyukjae smiles.

“My whole life,” he mouths at the same time Donghae says the words, which causes him to grin stupidly and force himself away to the other side of the small gallery, looking up at one of Donghae’s self-portraits in ink pen and watercolour.

The memory of Donghae throwing pieces of paper in the trash angrily after being frustrated over not being able to draw himself accurately is interrupted when he hears Donghae sounding rather uncomfortable, and Hyukjae turns to see the middle school students walk out the door of the gallery. Hyukjae takes a deep breath in as one or two more people walk in, and refrains from turning around until he hears a low, gruff voice swear at the artist, leaving crude comments about his appearance so casually that it makes him feel sick. He supposes this is what Donghae was talking about when he’d said working at the gallery was exhausting and upsetting, and the thought that he went through this every time made Hyukjae’s blood boil.

Balling his fists angrily, he turns around and walks up to the scene.

“Uhm, excuse me?” he says, pitch rising in anger. “How dare you say things like that to him.”

Donghae’s eyes widen. That voice. He opens his mouth, but is torn between what to say. In the time that he contemplates, the greasy old man replies.

“Would you excuse us? I was just having conversation with this boy here. Who do you even think you are?”

Oh god, Donghae chants in his mind. Hyukjae gets rather authoritative and scary when he’s mad, and though the artist is slightly scared, he’s also extremely embarrassed. And kind of flattered. But mostly embarrassed. Also, Hyukjae is wearing a fedora and a trench coat and it’s possible the most pathetic that he’s ever looked but Donghae still loves him.

Hyukjae reaches for his hat and sunglasses and Donghae covers his face in embarrassment as Hyukjae says, “I’m Lee Hyukjae.”

Donghae only glances briefly at the old man’s shocked face before covering his red face again, because Hyukjae looks absolutely fired up.

“So I suppose you’ve heard of me? Heir to Lee Corporation. Do you know it?”

The artist’s face drains as he takes a step back and peers around, muttering a small “oh my god” as he realises a few people have come into the gallery because of a certain Lee Hyukjae causing a ruckus. When he notices the cameras some people take out, Donghae wishes the ground would just swallow him up, and he contemplates grabbing the fedora to cover his face, but he tells himself he won’t stoop that low.

“And this boy is my boyfriend so if you would kindly back the off and not degrade him like that? If you can even manage that? That would be great.”

Donghae’s hands drop from his blushing face as Hyukjae proudly smiles and walks up to him, laughing as he notices the glare he receives from the shorter boy. The artist tries not to notice that the crowd has gotten significantly larger, and that there are more cameras (and also, is that a microphone?!).

“Hey babe,” he says with that charming grin, and it’s such a classic Hyukjae thing to say that Donghae wants to punch him and furiously kiss him all at once.

“What the are you doing here, Hyukjae?” he whispers angrily under his breath, because his mind is just swimming with thoughts of ‘now everyone knows Hyukjae is dating me’, ‘what if no one thinks I’m worth Hyukjae’s time’ and ‘will anyone even see me as an artist or will they just see me as Lee Hyukjae’s boyfriend?’

“I just wanted to see what the big deal was.”

Donghae huffs and Hyukjae just laughs at the shorter man, hugging him tightly. After a few seconds of reluctance, the artist hugs back, burying his face into the man’s chest.

“Lee Hyukjae of Lee Corporation? Is this true? Is this artist your boyfriend?”

“Oh!” Hyukjae exclaims stupidly, pulling away from Donghae. His arm remains around the man’s waist, and Donghae presses his face into Hyukjae’s shoulder out of pure embarrassment. He’d honestly never thought of being officially official and out in the news with his and Hyukjae’s relationship, but to have had it happen in this way was honestly too much of a shock. “Seems like we’ve gathered a crowd.”

He looks down at Donghae, who is honestly too nervous and shocked to speak at all, so Hyukjae places a small kiss on his forehead (why is he so forward?) and speaks for the artist.

“It’s true,” he says simply. “The artist’s name is Lee Donghae and he’s the most beautiful man I’ve ever met, and he’s extremely talented and passionate. He puts all of his effort into every single piece he does and I am so proud to call him my boyfriend, so if you could please accept that, that would be lovely. Thank you everyone!”

Donghae can only blink at how easily and well Hyukjae had answered the questions. He should have known, to be quite honest, due to Hyukjae’s status, but to see his boyfriend (boyfriend!) answer so confidently makes his heart beat faster.

When the crowd disperses and everyone is busy looking around the gallery at his art, Donghae makes sure no one is looking before he grabs Hyukjae’s wrist and, despite the protests, pulls the man into the small supply closet to talk.

When the door clicks shut and he’s sure no one can hear him, Donghae groans quietly. The dim light in the small supply closet is the only thing that allows Hyukjae to see Donghae’s frowning face.

“Hyukjae…” he starts, avoiding eye contact. Hyukjae can see the faint blush that dusts his cheeks despite the frown on his face. “I told you not to interfere.”

Donghae runs his fingers through his hair, exasperated, and continues to look to the side, eyebrows furrowed. Hyukjae barely struggles to find the words as they roll off his tongue easily.

“How could I not? You come home and complain and I absolutely hate it when you’re upset, especially when it’s to do with your art. You love it so much, and I just don’t want you to sad, baby.”

“I’m not a baby,” he whines silently, balling his fists in childish anger. Hyukjae chuckles a bit at the irony. Donghae sighs again and looks up at Hyukjae, eyes soft. “But… t-thank you. For that, and for everything. For coming over. And caring, especially.”

Hyukjae only smiles. “You’re welcome.”

They stare at each other in silence and Donghae blinks a few times, pursing his lips. A million questions run through his mind.

“So I guess we’re official then?”

Hyukjae laughs. “Haven’t we always been official?”

“No!” Donghae lets out a breathy laugh. “I mean, yes, but like, to everyone else. The famous Lee Hyukjae, heir to the almighty Lee Corporation, is dating a mere artist. You know, like that.”

Hyukjae smiles softly and cups Donghae’s cheek with a hand, the man’s soft cheek with his thumb in an act of comfort and reassurance. “I’m not that famous. And you’re not just a mere artist, babe; you’re my favourite artist.”

Donghae scoffs and averts his gaze, fighting his stammering heart at the cheesy comment.

“And,” Hyukjae continues again, sounding nervous. “I’ve always wanted to come out as officially official… but I didn’t know how you’d feel.” He looks over at Donghae shyly before continuing, “I never want to make you feel uncomfortable, Hae. I am not ashamed of you at all; I love you so much.”

The brief few seconds of silence ring in Hyukjae’s ears as he almost wants to ask if he’s said anything wrong or offensive, but then, all of a sudden, Donghae leans in and kisses him.

It’s slow, passionate, and Donghae pours absolutely all his love into the kiss as he places his arms around Hyukjae’s neck and tiptoes slightly. Their lips move against each other in such a fitting way that Donghae lets out a small sound of content, his fingers playing with the hairs on Hyukjae’s nape. Hyukjae loves these little moments they have, when Donghae can throw all his worries and insecurities away and just express his love without words.

When Donghae finally pulls away, Hyukjae opens his mouth to express his love, but Donghae stammers a few ‘uhm’s out of pure embarrassment and openness before he snakes past Hyukjae and pushes the door open, fumbling a bit with the handle.

Hyukjae laughs as they exit the room, bringing a hand up to fix his hair as his eyes adjust to the bright light of the gallery. He watches as a professional-looking woman in the now very crowded gallery walks up to Donghae and asks about one of the pages in his sketchbook to do with his design work. Donghae happily replies with a beautiful smile on his face, leading the woman to the desk and pulling out some of his other designs for multiple other companies before giving the woman his business card.

Hyukjae walks over when the women is busily looking through some of Donghae examples before he leans over to artist.

“Bye babe, I’m off,” he says, and Donghae turns slightly with a worried expression that almost screams don’t go (how am I supposed to handle these people without you?). He presses a small kiss to the corner of Donghae’s cheek, turning the man into a small, stammering mess.

“D-Don’t interrupt me, bastard! Just go!”

Hyukjae laughs loudly, straightening up again, and before he can turn to leave, he’s yanked down by his tie and Donghae is kissing him square on the lips.

“Bye loser, see you at home,” he smiles, pushing Hyukjae away again as the woman turns back around to ask about something.

 

 

 

Donghae is startled awake by the clicking of the front door. He jumps a bit, then settles into a relieved smile when he sees Hyukjae taking off his suit jacket and throwing it on the coat rack.

“Hyukjae,” Donghae says, throat a bit dry from sleeping. “I didn’t know what you wanted for dinner so I got tacos…” he stops to laugh a bit at himself, “I hope that’s okay.”

Hyukjae flashes a (stupid, stupid) brilliant smile before sitting down in the chair in front of Donghae, having dropped everything else on the couch.

“Babe, did you wait up for me?”

Donghae pays no attention to Hyukjae and begins to eat a taco, which Hyukjae assumes to be chicken. When the silence is long enough, Donghae flashes a small, cheeky smile.

“When did you home? Why didn’t you eat first without me? It’s near midnight, Hae.”

Donghae pushes Hyukjae’s box towards him to get him to start eating, and is thankful that Hyukjae gets the hint and starts to open the polystyrene box.

“It’s okay Hyukjae, I didn’t get back too long ago,” Donghae starts halfway through their meal. It’s a stretch of the truth, but he doesn’t want Hyukjae to worry. “I was just tired, I promise.”

“Bull,” Hyukjae says immediately. “I call bull, you idiot, you know I can tell when you’re lying.” Donghae rolls his eyes, the smile on his face a small giveaway. “So how was your day at the gallery?”

Donghae groans loudly, followed by a loud chuckle. “I can’t believe you did that, you idiot!” He leans over and smacks Hyukjae over the head slightly, who only laughs and dips his head forward slightly. “It was…fun though, actually. There were a lot of reporters that were interested in my work! Like, my actual work, Hyukjae!”

Hyukjae stops listening briefly to admire the sparkle in Donghae eyes whenever he talks about art and thinks yes, this is definitely who I love with all my heart and I would not spend any of this time with anyone else.

“-one of them actually did art in their spare time and asked me about the technique I used in that one painting I did with the bright colours that was inspired by spring. It was so fun, and I met so many new people! There was even this one girl who wanted to study my art for her school project. Can you believe it?”

“That’s great, Hae, I’m so glad you had fun today,” Hyukjae smiles at him and Donghae looks down and blushes a brilliant pink, thinking back.

“T-Thanks for doing that, by the way. I… would have never… had this opportunity if you didn’t step in. I’m so thankful, honestly, I’m just so worried about how it might affect you-”

“Don’t worry, Donghae, you already know that everyone in the office is practically in love with you too,” Hyukjae laughs. “Anything for you, babe; anything to make you happy.”