20 Days in Seoul - #19

EUNHAE BONFIRE FEST 2015 - GRAND REVEAL!

Title: 20 Days in Seoul

Name: [Redacted]

AFF username: [Redacted]

Prompt #: 19

Theme: fluff, romance

Place: somewhere in Seoul

Objet/word prompts:Do you have coffee?”, “Hot. Hot! HOT!”, “So… and that’s a problem?

Action: Donghae just moved to Seoul and is determined to find new friends, or even love within a short period of time. He soon finds himself very interested in a certain Tous Les Jours employee, whose name is Hyukjae.

Specific kinks: Hyukjae is a bit serious while Donghae likes to act like a child. Most people think he is innocent and pure while in truth he is not.

Things not to be added: no homophobia, no angst, no , no mpreg

Preferences/other notes: Hyukje has fire-red hair

Prompt given by: [Anonymous]

Word Count: 13,366

Rating: PG-13

Author’s Notes: I think I made Hyukjae a little too mean in here... I don't think it's fluffy enough orz Hope you still like it though! /runs away to hide in a corner/

Summary: Donghae just moved to Seoul and is determined to find new friends, or even love within a short period of time. He soon finds himself very interested in a certain Tous Les Jours employee, whose name is Hyukjae. [given by prompter]


 

20 Days in Seoul

 

Day 1 in Seoul. I met a cute guy in a café today. But I think he doesn’t like me. ㅠㅠ

The chilly wind blew a nasty draft as the yellowed and browned leaves fell by the dozens from the balding branches hanging in the sky. Several pedestrians huddled their thick, warm jackets closer to themselves, hurrying through the streets wanting to get home as fast as possible where the heat was waiting patiently for them.

A young man wearing a sky blue lightweight jacket with a matching white scarf walked briskly into the nearest café he saw, short pants of white mist escaping his mouth each time he took in a large breath.

The bell above the door dinged, and he could immediately smell the heavenly aroma of coffee, cinnamon and spices lingering in the air. There were only a handful of people in the café, so he took his time wandering and following his nose to the main counter. Then, his eyes brightened.

“Hi!” Donghae chirped happily, grinning from ear to ear as he caught sight of the attractive server with blazing red hair behind the counter. “What’s your name?”

The server rolled his eyes at Donghae, fingers tapping impatiently as he waited for the customer to order. Donghae smiled and waited patiently for his answer, but he never got it. The server glared at Donghae when customers began forming a long line behind him. He finally spoke up, much to Donghae’s delight, but it wasn’t what he expected to hear.

“Look, mister, if you’re not going to order then I’ll have to ask you to leave,” the server sighed, tired of customers and their weird behaviours. It was almost the end of a long shift for him and he wanted nothing better than to go home and have a good, long rest. He’d been on his feet for more than eight hours and he wasn’t in his best temper now. He didn’t want to deal with clingy customers who were probably after his number. All he wanted to was just shut down and hibernate at home for the next twelve hours.

Donghae jumped and pouted hard. “Sheesh, why are you so grumpy? I was just asking for your name.”

“Do you want to order or not, mister?” the server snapped.

“Fine.” Donghae straightened up and folded his arms over his chest. He quickly scanned the menu hanging above the server’s head, fingers lightly touching his lips as he thought hard for a minute, prompting several more eye-rolls from the server. “Do you have coffee?”

“What kind of coffee do you want?”

“Uhh, I don’t really know my coffee, but uhh, something sweet, but not too sweet, maybe? And milky. Ooh, do you have chocolate-flavoured coffee?” Donghae grinned happily at the thought of chocolate. “You got anything like that? Ah, and it would be nice if you have ice cream in it… but hey, do you think that ice cream in hot coffee would taste weird? Especially in this kind of weather?”

The server drew his lips in a tight line and nodded, ringing up the price on the machine. “That’ll be 30,000 won. Cash or card?”

Donghae’s eyes bulged in surprise. “Woah. I didn’t know the coffee here would be so expensive!”

“Cash or card?”

Pouting, Donghae dug in his pockets for his wallet and sighed at the thin walls. He handed over a worn-out card and winced when the machine beeped, indicating that 30,000 won had just been deducted from his life savings. Donghae then waited for his coffee to be ready, perking up a little when his number got called to collect his beverage.

“Blergh!!”

He took a small sip and grimaced, hanging his tongue out of his mouth because the taste disgusted him. He stole a look at the unfriendly server behind the counter, mouth curling into a pout again when he thought the server smirked at him. Donghae turned and left the café, cradling his precious 30,000 won coffee in his hands, hating it but not wanting to waste his money. He slowly walked back to his camp, thinking about the hot red café server who looked really grumpy but seemed like a nice person inside. Deep, deep inside. He gulped the coffee all at once, not wasting a single drop and burning his tongue in the process, but he just wanted to get it over with.

“Ugh, I hate bitter coffee.”

 

 

Day 2 in Seoul. I don’t remember coffee tasting this awful. Yuck! I’m getting something else today. Chocolate, maybe? But I think tea is cheaper.

“Good morning, how may I – oh it’s you again.”

“Hi!!” Donghae grinned cheekily and made a ‘peace’ sign. “I’m back, did you miss me?”

The server rolled his eyes and smirked. “Did you enjoy your coffee yesterday? That was our Americano special, by the way. What do you want today?”

“Wow. Your mood is significantly better than yesterday,” Donghae noted. His eyes suddenly glowed. “Did you get laid?”

Narrowing his eyes, the server punched in a few keys on the register. “That’ll be a double espresso for you today. 50,000 won, please.”

“No, wait!!” Donghae smacked his hands on the wooden countertop desperately. “Is that less bitter than yesterday’s coffee? And, uhh, don’t you have anything less expensive than that?” he asked sheepishly. “I—I’m actually sort of… broke.”

The server narrowed his eyes at the cowering Donghae before drawing his lips in a tight line. “Anything else?”

“Well… Can you at least tell me your name?”

 

Donghae sighed and held the warm cup of hot water in his hands. At least he wasn’t served an ice-cold cup of water in this chilling weather. Hot water worked alright too, since he’d only been charged 500 won for it. Although he was sure he could have boiled some water himself in his electric kettle back at his place, at least he got another opportunity to talk to that grumpy server again. Call him a fool, but once Donghae set his eyes on something, he would get it by hook or by crook, and by no means was he going to let this redheaded beauty slip through his fingers — well, not while he was still in Seoul, anyway. Still, he was now more determined than ever to get Mr Grumpyface to tell him his name… and perhaps initiate a proper conversation with him besides arguing over coffee.

Better start reading up on coffee, then. He’d never regretted not brushing up on his coffee skills more than today.

Donghae reached his ‘home’ and sat down beside his tent, sipping the rapidly cooling liquid he held in his hands. The stool he was sitting on squeaked in protest as he rocked on it gently, devising a plan in his head to get the attractive redheaded server to talk to him. Perhaps he could apply for a job in the café. He had nothing else to do anyway, besides idling his time away in his tent. Besides, he was kind of running low on cash. If he really did manage to get a job in the café, well, then he’d be well-sheltered away from the harsh wind for at least 8 hours a day, be able to drink all the coffee and eat all the doughnuts he liked, and most importantly he could get the redhead to talk to him any time he wanted. And of course the cash, but the redhead was his priority. He finished his drink and rubbed his gloved hands together in glee. That was a perfect plan. He could start immediately the next day too. Too bad the café wasn’t hiring at all.

 

 

Day 3 in Seoul. Well that went really well, didn’t it?

The bell dinged for the umpteenth time that morning. The café was crowded with people, and everyone was hot on their heels serving customers one after another. The redheaded server-turned waiter rush about in the café, running in and out of the kitchen and barely dodging running toddlers in the tiny place, careful not to spill anything on anyone as much as possible. Three of his co-workers called-in sick, and that was why he’d taken over the position of waiting on tables as well. He skipped over a toy truck some kid left on the floor and avoided stepping into a mushy pile of mashed potatoes some toddler threw at him with a loud cry, while trying to get ignore the coffee stains Sungmin, the other barista, accidentally splashed onto him when the coffee machine went out of control, all the while balancing two trays of dirty dishes on both his hands and making his way into the kitchen, hoping that no other tiny customer left any more ‘treats’ on the floor for him to clean up later.

It was a windy Saturday morning, but the weather was otherwise fine and sunny. Customers piled into the café by the dozens, attracted to the famous heavenly aromatic coffee one could smell from even miles away. Donghae was surprised by the patrons that seemingly doubled in number ever since the last two days he’d visited this same exact place. He entered the café that was hustling and bustling in excitement, making a small sound of exclamation when a little kid ran right into his legs. The little boy fell with a bump onto the ground and began to cry, but Donghae immediately knelt down and helped him up, brushing off the dust on his pants and petting his head.

“Hi little fella, are you alright? Hyung is sorry for bumping into you. Are you hurt?”

The kid closed his mouth and nodded, pouting softly while clutching onto a teddy bear. Donghae smiled. “What’s your name? Mine is Donghae. You can call me Hae hyung if you want.”

“Henwy.” The boy grinned and pointed to himself, then the teddy bear. “Mimi.”

“Well then, Henwy, you should go back to your table. Your mommy is probably worried about you, Mimi too. Be careful next time, okay?” Donghae stood up with a grin. “You want Hae hyung to carry you?”

“No. Henwy big. Mommy say so! No cawwy. Henwy walk.”

Donghae smiled again and was about to ask him where his family was when the red-headed waiter suddenly appeared before the boy, who smiled and ran towards him with a laugh.

“Hyukkie!”

“Henry, what were you doing talking to strangers like that? Aish, why won’t you stay in one place instead of having me chase after you everywhere? You could get kidnapped!”

Henry hung his head with a pout. “Hyukkie no scowd Henwy. Henwy sad.”

Donghae cleared his throat. “Uhm, hi. I can take care of Henry if you want. You seem a little busy.”

The waiter seemed surprised to see Donghae there. He picked Henry up and carry him on his hip while looking at Donghae with a condescending face.

“Uh huh, and why should I trust you when I don’t even know you?”

“Hi, I’m Donghae!!” He smiled and held out his hand for a handshake, which the other ignored. “And you are?”

“Hyukkie!!” Henry garbled, happily hitting the waiter on the head with his teddy bear. “Henwy hungwy! Henwy want ice cweam!” The toddler began squirming and struggling until he was set down, and then ran into the kitchen. The waiter made to chase after the boy, but decided against it when a few customers got angry and started yelling for the bill. He frowned at Donghae. “Look, I don’t know why you’re here when you don’t even like coffee anyway, but if you’re not here for anything then I suggest you leave. Sorry for Henry bumping into you. I have to go.”

Donghae blinked and the redhead was gone in a flash, waiting on a table that had gotten impatient. He decided to slide into an empty booth and observe the waiter instead. He felt a massive sense of accomplishment because he’d talked properly to the waiter today, and it wasn’t even past the lunch hour rush yet. He grinned dreamily into the distance, and only snapped out of it when he realized someone else had joined him in the booth.

“Hae hyung, want some ice cweam?” Henry smiled cutely, offering Donghae his messy cup of melted chocolate ice cream. Donghae chuckled and helped the little boy into a seat.

“No thanks, you can have it all,” he replied, ruffling the boy’s hair all up.

Henry grinned and continued slurping his ice cream. “Why was Hae hyung looking at Hyukkie? Hyukkie is a meanie who likes to scowd Henwy. Hyukkie bad man.”

Donghae laughed and scooted closer to the toddler. “Who is Hyukkie to you? Is he your hyung too?”

Henry shook his head. “Noooo… Hyukkie is Papa’s fwen. Papa make coffee there,” he said, pointing at Sungmin, busy making coffee art at the counter while waiting for the brew. “Papa busy today and Hyukkie busy today. Henwy sad.”

“Now, now. Don’t be sad. Hae hyung is here. I’ll play with you. Would you like that?” Donghae asked, grinning at once when the toddler perked up. Henry nodded enthusiastically and squealed in laughter. “So what do you want to play? I’m quite good at games.”

 

“Say, do you know who that guy is?” Sungmin asked while handing Hyukjae a tray of 3D art lattes. “The guy Henry is sitting with.”

Hyukjae glanced at them and rolled his eyes. “I don’t know him. I don’t even know why Henry likes him. He looks too playful. I wouldn’t trust him near anyone. You want me to shoo him away? He hadn’t even ordered anything for the past half hour.”

“Henry seems to like him anyway. I’ll just keep an eye on him. Don’t chase him away.” Sungmin then grinned. “Besides, he’s pretty good-looking. If I weren’t happily married for a few years already, I’d have gone after that . Have you even seen it before?”

Hyukjae gagged and made a sound of disgust. “Seriously Min, you’re grossing me out. Stop ogling the customers and continue making your coffee. I’ve got an order for twenty-four coffees here from that large table over there. Good luck with that.”

 

 

Day 4 in Seoul. Cute guy got mad at me. Imma cry forever. ㅠㅠ

“Hi Hyukkie! I’m Donghae, in case you forgot my name again. How nice to see you here!”

Hyukjae drew his lips in a tight line and stared at the overly cheerful guy in front of him. “Look, I don’t care what your name is and what your business is in here, but my name is not ‘Hyukkie’ and even if it is, who are you to call me that? I don’t even know you.”

“Well, we could get to know each other better if that’s what you want me to do. I don’t mind. In fact, I’d love that. I won’t call it a date if you don’t want me to, but here’s my number just in case you change your mind.”

“Sir, if you’re not going to buy any coffee, I must ask you to leave.”

“Now now, Mr. Grumpyface. I know I haven’t made a great first impression on you but perhaps we could start all over. What is it that you don’t like about me? As you can see yesterday, I’m great with kids! Even the other barista likes me. If we ever have a kid together I wouldn’t mind being the one to look after him at home while you worked—”

“That’ll be a double shot espresso for you. 35,000 won, please.”

Donghae blinked in surprise. “But I hadn’t ordered any coffee yet! And besides, you haven’t told me your name yet, Hyukkie. I can’t un-call you Hyukkie if you don’t tell me what else to call you other than ‘Hyukkie’, Hyukkie.”

Hyukjae glared angrily at Donghae. “Only Henry calls me that. Can you quit it already?”

“B-But—”

“35,000 won, mister. Or else I’ll have to personally you out of the café and bar you from coming back in for as long as you’re around.”

 

Donghae decided to slide into a tiny corner booth after negotiating for a cup of hot tea instead which didn’t burn a hole in his pocket as large as coffee would. He observed quietly from his seat, the cogs and wheels in his head turning, churning out devious plans one after another. He thought of a couple of ways to get the waiter to like him, including kidnapping him or forcing him into a dark alley at night to kiss him or even kissing him over the countertop the next time he came in. But in the end he decided that it would make him hate him even more so he just leaned back in his seat and sighed.

 

 

Day 5 in Seoul. I’ll just stay here until he talks to me. Which might take forever since he’s not even here.

Hyukjae wasn’t in the next day. Donghae ordered a small cup of hot tea and sat in his corner booth, sipping the fragrant liquid while moping over the fact that he had no job, no money and no eye candy today. It was Hyukjae’s day off apparently, but of course Donghae didn’t know that. Sungmin had taken over the register for the day. The barista watched Donghae from the counter, as business was quite slow, and realized that Donghae hadn’t changed his outfit in some time. Long bangs swept messily to the side and hidden partially under a beanie that looked as if it had seen better days. Small streaks of dirt slightly visible hidden under the outer jacket’s collar. Knuckles that looked like they had been rubbed raw from doing some rough work. Puzzled, Sungmin frowned and thought long and hard about it. It was Monday, and Donghae hadn’t even gone to work. Maybe he was having some problems, but he didn’t want to prod, so he shrugged it off.

Donghae waited in his booth until Sungmin was getting ready to close for the night. When Sungmin lightly reminded him that he was about to close in ten minutes, he muttered a soft apology to the barista and quickly downed his ice-cold tea before leaving. As Sungmin rolled the shutters down, he remembered the slight disappointment that had flashed in the guy’s eyes. He wondered why. Donghae had only been patronising their café for a few days, and already he managed to intrigue him and poke at his curiosity. Did he really like Hyukjae that much?

 

 

Day 6 in Seoul. Tricked him into letting me stay. HA! But he still chased me away. Big pout.

“Hyukkie! You’re back! I missed you so much!” Donghae squealed, as soon as he stepped into the café the next day. “Where did you go yesterday? I waited the entire day for you!”

Hyukjae grunted. “May I help you?”

Donghae grinned. “You could tell me your proper name, or I’ll keep calling you ‘Hyukkie’. I think you don’t mind, do you? Otherwise you’d have told me your real name already.”

“May I help you, other than telling you my name?” Hyukjae rolled his eyes in exasperation. “You’re such an annoying brat. Can I please just send you away with a free coffee this time?”

Donghae’s eyes dimmed at once. “But I don’t want to leave. I like staying here, especially since you’re working today. It’s warm and toasty.”

“Go home and switch on the heaters. Enjoy the heat. Taa-daah!! Problem solved.”

“I don’t have a heater.”

“Are you kidding me? All the houses here are equipped with one. You’re lying through your teeth.”

“What if I told you I didn’t live in a house?” Donghae asked, drumming his fingers lightly on the countertop.

“You’re lying again. Now, please choose whichever damned coffee you want because I’m gonna make you leave after that.”

“I just want some tea. Less sugar, piping hot.”

“Anything else?” Hyukjae asked, sighing softly.

“No. Just that,” Donghae replied with a grin, then handed over the money. Hyukjae packed up the drink in a to-go carton but Donghae shook his head. “Don’t bother with that, I’m drinking it here.”

“I thought I said you’d have to leave after ordering your drink.”

“No, you didn’t.” Donghae smiled widely and took the drink before Hyukjae decided to poison it or whatever. “You said you’d make me leave after ordering coffee, but I ordered tea instead. You can’t get rid of me.”

“It doesn’t matter what you order!! I’m asking you to stop bothering me and leave, right now!”

Donghae’s smile dropped and a pout began to take over. “You know what? Henry was right when he said that,” he said sadly, cradling the cup of tea in his hands before leaving the premises. “You really are a meanie.”

 

 

Day 7 in Seoul. First week and I’m sick. Gorgeous.

The last of the leaves fell from the bare branches, and a hard frost blew overnight. When Donghae woke up that morning he was sporting a runny nose and a high fever. Groaning, he filled his kettle with tap water and struggled to make a fire outside, since most of the dry twigs and branches he stored up had moistened with frost. He bundled more blankets over his shivering body and debated visiting the café since he wasn’t feeling too well, and decided against it after all. Hyukjae wouldn’t miss him anyway. In fact, he’d probably be even happier to be given a break from him. Donghae hugged his knees and held them close to his body. He never knew the people in Seoul could be so unfriendly. It had already been a week and he still wasn’t able to find a decent job, so here he was in his tent half-frozen to death. He remembered the remark Hyukjae had made when he told him he didn’t have a heater at home and smiled bitterly.

“But I was telling the truth.”

 

 

Day 8 in Seoul. I’ll just watch him from afar. Don’t want him to hate me.

Donghae ordered his usual cup of tea and sat in a corner, looking totally miserable with permanent dark circles under his eyes. His cold had gotten better, but he still had a runny nose and already a pile of soiled dirty napkins were on the table. His eyes were closed and his head resting on his propped elbows, the picture of misery. He stayed that way for a couple of hours, occasionally shifting a little in his seat while napping. The ground was literally frozen over, and it was a miracle that his fever hadn’t gotten worse over the night. The steamy fumes from the tea helped clear his nose a bit, enabling him to breathe a little more comfortably.

Hyukjae couldn’t help staring at him throughout the day. Business was alright, but he had ample time in his hands, and most of them were spent on pondering about the overly cheerful guy who came into the café every day for a week who was now sitting quietly in a corner booth seemingly asleep. Also, he looked worse for wear and seemed like a proper night’s sleep would fix everything so that he’d return to his cheerful self again. Hyukjae also felt bad for yelling at the guy and chasing him off the other day. Sungmin had overheard him in the back room and lightly ticked him off after closing hours. He wanted to apologize, but had no idea how to. After all, Donghae was only a guy he’d met only a week ago and they hadn’t exactly hit it off at first impression — Hyukjae didn’t even know for sure what Donghae’s name was — he vaguely remembered it being blared in his face a couple of time but he wasn’t really listening all the while. He was pretty sure though that the name had some connection with the sea.

Business was slow towards the end of the day, and Sungmin decided to close an hour earlier. Hyukjae agreed and started to clean up the counter. Donghae was still lightly snoring in the corner booth; nobody else was in the café. Hyukjae then realized that Donghae hadn’t eaten or drank anything except for that tiny mug of tea, which was still half-full. Biting his lips, Hyukjae went into the back kitchen and cooked up a simple meal of sausages and scrambled eggs and brought it to Donghae’s table along with a fresh cup of mint tea. He set it on the table before sitting on the seat opposite the sleeping man.

“Uhm, hey, wake up.”

Donghae grunted and yawned stiffly, whining softly as he began to stir. For a moment, Hyukjae thought the nose scrunch he did was kinda cute. He blinked and rubbed away the sleep from his eyes, then suddenly remembered where he was. He looked up in panic to see Hyukjae staring at him and startled in his seat. “Ah, I’m so sorry Hyukkie, I didn’t mean to sleep for so long. I’ll go now.”

“Wait,” Hyukjae stopped him before he could get up to leave. “You didn’t eat anything today. Finish up the food. I don’t want you to faint in the middle of the street.”

“I have food at home,” Donghae started, then stared longingly at the dish of greasy sausages and cheesy eggs in front of him. “I can’t afford this,” he added in a small voice.

Hyukjae rolled his eyes and made Donghae sit down before handing him a knife and a fork. “Eat up. It’s on the house. Or if you’d rather, you can pay for it in instalments. If you don’t eat it, it goes in the trash.”

“No,” Donghae said and snatched the cutlery from the redhead. “I’ll have it. Thank you very much.” Donghae proceeded to gobble up the food hungrily. Everything was gone in mere minutes.

“You were really hungry. When was your last proper meal?” Hyukjae inquired.

“Mmh. Last week.” Donghae tried the grease off his nose and gave up after a few tries. “Before I got kicked outta my house, but I survived.”

“You got kicked out of your own house?” Hyukjae blinked in horror. “Whatever for? What kind of bad things have you done to get you into this?”

Shrugging, Donghae lifted the mug and inhaled the sweet minty aroma. “Parents wanted me to grow up instead of lazing around in the house all the time. They gave me an allowance but I used up nearly all of it to come here. I’m from Mokpo, actually.” He took a sip and sighed in pleasure. “This is awesome.”

“Why don’t you go get a job? You could earn your own money like normal people do. You can’t survive in Seoul without a salary.”

“Well, nobody wants to hire me! I’ve written letters and sent my resume — which is practically empty by the way — to a couple of companies big and small, but nobody wants to take in a loser who didn’t even finish high school.”

“Well then, what are you planning to do? You can’t just spend the rest of your life sitting in a corner of this café drinking one cup of tea per day!”

“I just did,” Donghae grinned, sipping his tea nonchalantly. “I’ll find something to do when spring rolls around. I’m too cold to work now.”

Hyukjae huffed and shook his head. He gathered the dirty plates from Donghae and stood up to bring them to the kitchen to wash.

“Hyukkie?”

Hyukjae stiffened. “Don’t call me that. My name is not ‘Hyukkie’.”

Donghae leaned closer to him and asked with a lazy smile on his face. “But you haven’t told me what to call you yet, so until you do, I’ll keep calling you ‘Hyukkie’. Or would you prefer Mr Grumpyface?”

“Mr Grumpyface would suffice,” Hyukjae smirked, then quickly disappeared into the kitchen.

Donghae’s face fell immediately and his lips contorted into a pout. He quickly finished the mint tea, which helped clear his nose completely. As he stood up to bring the mug to Hyukjae in the kitchen, he bumped into Sungmin who was just coming out of the employee lockers.

“Oh, sorry, I didn’t see you there. I thought all the customers were gone. Are you alright?”

“You’re Henry’s papa, aren’t you?” Donghae asked with a smile. “I’m just on my way out. I’m sorry for bothering you.”

“You seem pretty lonely. Do you want a ride home? Hyukjae and I are going back anyway. We could give you a lift,” Sungmin offered, taking the mug from Donghae, whose mouth pulled into a small grin.

“No thanks, I live not too far away from here. I can walk alright.”

“I insist.”

“I don’t really—”

“Okay, that’s settled then. I’m sending you back. There’s gonna be another frost tonight and I don’t want any of my customers getting sick. That includes you, buddy.”

“Donghae,” Donghae corrected, smiling softly. “I didn’t know you owned this place. My pa— I mean, I thought you were just a barista. I’ve never heard of owners working at their own cafés before.”

Sungmin smiled. “We’ll just wait for Hyukjae to come out. Then I’ll send you home.”

“Does Hyukjae live with you?”

“No, but he’s my upstairs neighbour. We carpool for convenience, that’s all. By the way,” Sungmin whispered with a small glint in his eye. “Hyukjae’s single and just back on the market. I’ve seen the way you look at him and I’d like to give you some advice, Donghae. He one hard nut to crack, but once you get him to show you his soft side, then you’re on the highway to his heart. Trust me. I’ve known him since we were six.”

“Are you talking behind my back again?” Hyukjae asked as soon as he emerged from the kitchen, apron gone and clothes changed into casual ones. Donghae thought he looked absolutely stunning. “Really, Sungmin, when will you stop gossiping about me?”

“Until you get a new boyfriend, that’s for sure. This one here looks like a keeper,” Sungmin cackled loudly when Hyukjae glared at him. “Ever since you broke up with that supermodel boyfriend, you’ve been really cranky. Don’t think I never realized.”

“He was a jerk. Obsessed with money and his abs. I don’t even know what I saw in him last time. I hate rich people. They’re useless, snobby jerks,” Hyukjae retorted, putting some stuff into his bag. “Is pandaface here coming with us?”

“The name is Donghae.”

“Pandaface.”

“Donghae!”

“Pandaface!”

Sungmin rolled his eyes and walked towards the door. “Keep squabbling, the both of you. I’ll be waiting outside.”

Donghae immediately sprinted for the door and slammed the door shut on Hyukjae. Hyukjae scowled angrily. “Yah! Is this what I get in return for feeding you?”

“No, that’s for making fun of my name. My parents gave me a beautiful name and you wouldn’t even use it!”

“Well, they kicked you out of your own house so I’d say they don’t care about you anyway.”

Hyukjae froze and regretted immediately when he spat out the last sentence. Donghae’s eyes had grown red and it was obvious that he’d just made him upset. That was a low blow under the belt. Hyukjae felt like a jerk.

“I’m sorry.”

Donghae grit his teeth and kept quiet. He marched out of the café in silence and started walking off  instead of towards Sungmin, who had his car parked right next to the café. Sungmin called out to him. “Where are you going? I said I’d give you a lift home!”

Hyukjae appeared right beside the café owner with a guilty look. “I… might have upset him unintentionally. Sorry.”

Sungmin sighed. “Really, Hyuk?” The duo watched Donghae pull his outer jacket closer to his body and rub his mittened hands together. “Maybe you should go after him and apologize.”

“In this weather? Please tell me you’re joking, Min.”

“I wasn’t the one who got him upset. You broke him, now you fix him.”

“Fine,” Hyukjae agreed begrudgingly and fetched a thick coat to put on. “Wait for me here.”

“With pleasure.”

 

Hyukjae chased after Donghae, walking quickly behind him until Donghae came to a clearing where his tent and things were. Hyukjae’s eyes doubled in size when he saw how the other had lived for a week. There were traces of a small bonfire with some burnt grass, a clothesline hanging between two trees with some towels pegged to it, and a small pile of rubbish. Donghe sensed someone behind him and spun around immediately on defense, but saw that it was Hyukjae and scowled at him.

“Why did you follow me here?”

“Please don’t tell me you’re sleeping here tonight.”

“Whatever I do is none of your business. Now please leave.”

“You can’t be serious! This place isn’t livable! You need proper bedding and stuff.”

“I can’t afford any of them, okay? This is all I have. Now go. I want to read alone.”

Hyukjae got angry and grabbed Donghae’s wrist. “I won’t allow you to sleep in this condition. There’s a frost predicted tonight and I won’t let you freeze to death in the middle of nowhere.”

“Oh, so now you care? Funny that you’d care when my parents don’t,” Donghae replied angrily, challenging Hyukjae with a glare. “Leave.”

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said anything about your parents. That was low of me. But you’re coming with me to my place. At least you’ll be safe from the chilly wind.”

“And if I don’t want to go?”

Hyukjae’s eyes hardened. “Then I’ll force you to come with me.”

Donghae narrowed his eyes at him. “Make me.”

 

Sungmin was startled and puzzled when Hyukjae dragged a gunny sack behind him when he came back. “What’s in the sack?”

“A really stubborn pandaface. He was living like a nomad and I refused to let him freeze to death tonight. He can sleep at your place, can’t he?” Hyukjae grunted, tired out with the long drag. “You have an extra bed, don’t you?”

“Henry’s sleeping by himself on that bed. Why don’t you bring him to your place instead? Don’t you live alone?” Sungmin scratched his head, bewildered. “Is Donghae really in that sack? He doesn’t seem to be alive.”

Hyukjae snorted. “Donghae the pandaface is probably sulking in there. If he stays with me, he might murder me in my sleep.”

“You were the one who offered him shelter. Take responsibility.”

“Ugh. Fine, whatever.”

 

 

Day 9 in Seoul. I got kidnapped. Help.

Hyukjae woke up sleepily to the smell of buttery toast and eggs. His back and neck ached badly from his poor sleep posture on the couch, as he’d generously offered his queen-sized bed to a sulking Donghae last night. He sat up and stretched, getting rid of all the kinks he’d managed to accumulate throughout the freezing night. When he rubbed his eyes, he realized that the weather was so cold outside that even the ground was frosted hard. He immediately felt thankful that he had forced Donghae to come with him to his apartment last night, or else he might not have survived the cold. Yawning and scratching his , Hyukjae shuffled into the kitchen and was greeted by a deliciously-looking stack of golden pancakes with strawberry bits in it. Hyukjae woke up completely and was about to take a bite of the fluffy pancakes when Donghae rapped on his knuckles with a butter knife and snatched the fork away. Hyukjae growled.

“What is wrong with you? Can’t a hungry man eat in his own house?”

“Go wash up before you eat. Your morning breath stinks.”

Hyukjae grumbled all the way to the bathroom and quickly cleaned his teeth. He decided to skip shaving and emerged from the toilet not long after. He sat down and grinned when a plate of strawberry pancakes was placed before him along with some toast and eggs.

“I never got to properly thank you for last night,” Donghae muttered under his breath. “So I made you pancakes from whatever I could find in your kitchen as my way of saying thanks. I hate to impose on you, so I’ll be going back to my place later.”

“No way. You’re staying here until you find a job. I won’t let you live in a tent anymore if I can help it.”

“I don’t want to impose. Besides, I still don’t know your name.”

Hyukjae hummed as he speared a mouthful of pancakes. “Hyukjae. Don’t ever call me ‘Hyukkie’ again.”

Donghae grinned. “Yes, Hyukkie!”

Hyukjae glared at the other then shrugged and dug into his breakfast. “Whatever, pandaface. Wow… this stuff is good.” The redhead wolfed down piece after piece of the fluffy golden perfection. “Can you make this for me every day?”

“What, do I look like a maid to you?”

“You could, with the proper attire and stuff. I think I still have a Halloween costume somewhere…”

Donghae smacked Hyukjae’s head. “ert!”

 

 

Day 10 in Seoul. I got a job right after getting kidnapped. Whoa. Mom and Dad would be so proud.

Sungmin walked up to Donghae with a proposition that day during opening hours. “Donghae, Hyukjae told me that you’re looking for a job, right? Would you like to work here? We’re a little short on staff. One of my workers quit and another got sick and would be out of action for at least a week. What do you say?”

Donghae grinned widely. This was exactly what he wanted. “Yes! But I don’t have much experience with coffee. I don’t even like coffee. Uhm, I hope you don’t mind.”

The owner smiled and shook his head. “It doesn’t matter. You can wait on tables, and let Hyukjae do all the brewing. I hope you have a good memory. Some customers can be rather demanding.”

“You can count on me, Sungmin. I won’t let you down! Do I start today?”

Sungmin smiled seeing the excitement on Donghae’s face. “You could if you want to. You have nothing else to do anyway, do you?”

“Thank you!” Donghae exclaimed, and ran up to hug him in joy. “You’re the bestest human on earth!”

“I try,” Sungmin laughed, then handed Donghae a black collar tee with ‘TLJ’ printed on it. “Put this on. I think you’ll fit. Have fun serving!”

 

“What are you doing dressed like that?”

Hyukjae emerged from the toilet, a small frown on his lips. “Did you steal that from my locker?”

Donghae gasped and faked a sob. “I would never steal from you! Sungmin gave it to me,” he pouted, then grinned. “I got hired here!”

“Oh, no. No no no. You’re working here, with me? In the same café? Wha— why? You’re already bothering me enough and you had to work here? Of all places?”

“I have only one place.” Donghae sulked and walked away, head hanging down in disappointment. “I’m sorry for bothering you then. I never knew you hated me so much. I’ll— I’ll just go look for work somewhere else…”

“Wait!” Hyukjae crumbled when he saw how broken Donghae looked. He begrudgingly handed him a spare apron from his locker, grunting when he saw how Donghae’s face lit up instantly with a dazzling grin, prompting a poor excuse of a smile to dance on his lips as well. “Just don’t bother me when I’m working, okay?”

“Aye aye, capt’n!” Donghae saluted and dashed out of the locker, very nearly missing bumping into Sungmin, who had come in to check on Donghae. “I’m off! Watch me!”

“I think I just hired a whirlwind.”

Hyukjae grunted again, but a very subtle grin formed on his lips. Maybe Donghae wasn’t too bad after all.

 

 

Day 11 in Seoul. I don’t understand why Dad said working here would be hard. Everybody loves me!

“Here you go! An iced cappuccino frappé and double shot espresso latte coming right up!”

Sungin watched as Donghae danced happily from table to table like a petite butterfly, recording and delivering orders in record time. The customers loved him. Perhaps it also helped that Donghae was kind of attractive, because that helped pull in crowds of female patrons, both young and old. Donghae also turned a few guys’ heads with that crystal clear laugh and bubbly personality of his. He winked at a few female customers and even scribbled a jumble of numbers on their receipt which they snatched to keep in their purses. Donghae later told Hyukjae with a laugh that it was the number to the local pizza store. ‘I don’t simply give out my number, but on the bright side the pepperoni pizza is really good.’ Hyukjae snorted and decided that Donghae definitely wasn’t such a bad addition after all — he had natural charm that worked on all kinds of people, and he had those sad puppy eyes that just made anyone want to please him thus ordering a couple more coffees to cheer him up.

Hyukjae was startled when Sungmin popped behind the counter and asked if he needed any help. “You have got orders for fifteen hazelnut caramel macchiatos and your orders are piling high. Are you daydreaming over our newest addition?” Sungmin teased, patting Hyukjae’s shoulders. “Who would have thought that a little act of love would change you forever?”

“Whoa!” Hyukjae quickly caught the mug that slipped from his fingers. He placed it back on the countertop, flustered. “Min, stop speculating. I don’t even know him, we’re not friends. Any humane person wouldn’t let the fellow sleep on frozen ground, including me. I’m a good person.”

“Really? Cause here he comes for the macchiatos. I think you need help.”

 

Day 12 in Seoul. Oops! First accident. Sorry, Hyukkie. You have a great bod by the way.

“Watch out!”

Donghae accidentally stepped on a toy car and slipped on it, the tray of hot coffee in his hand losing balance and teetering towards an unsuspecting small child. He barely had time to yell out a warning when immediately a flash of red appeared right between him and the child, and the hot coffee spilled over the body, which emitted a loud, painful moan. Donghae fell on his while the hardy mug simply tumbled to the floor with a loud ‘clank!’

Hyukjae gritted his teeth and clenched his fists as the scalding hot coffee soaked into his shirt and trickled down his back, but at least the child was safe. He gently pushed the toddler in the direction of his terrified mother with a forced smile. His back was thoroughly soaked and the clothes were burning him so badly that he couldn’t move. Donghae scrambled to his feet with a loud shriek and quickly helped the redhead up, apologizing profusely to both him and the mother holding her kid tightly. Sungmin had rushed out with a mop to take are of the customers, so Donghae could focus on the redhead server instead. He half-carried Hyukjae into the employee’s room and set him down gently on a bench before stripping the thick shirt off his body. Hyukjae protested weakly and covered his chest with his arms, but his face was still contorted in pain and he whined painfully.

“Shh, it’ll be alright, I’ll run some cold water over your back before applying some ointment on your skin. It’s already bright red from the burn.”

Nodding, Hyukjae just let Donghae do whatever he needed to do. Donghae applied some cloths dipped in cool water over the red skin before locating a first-aid kit and applying a soothing salve over the affected area. Hyukjae moaned softly when his back stung a little. His eyes were scrunched together while he hunched forward in his seat.

“That was some heroic thing to do, saving the kid like that,” Donghae muttered quietly, gently rubbing the ointment into the skin. “I’m sorry. I should have been more careful. I’m really glad I scalded you instead of the kid. Thanks for saving him.”

“Can’t let a customer get hurt,” Hyukjae simply answered in a low voice.

“I know, and I’m sorry. It was my fault.”

Hyukjae kept quiet and hummed softly, hissing only when the ointment stung. Donghae finished applying the salve and placed everything back in its place.

“There, all done. You can’t wear a shirt for some time until the ointment has dried, though. Otherwise, your back will peel horribly.”

“It’s freezing cold out there.”

“You can’t.”

“I need to get out there and work.”

“In this condition?” Donghae asked, amused. “And half too. Nice abs, by the way.”

Hyukjae scowled when Donghae simply refused to let him wear a single article of clothing on his top. “You can’t force me to stay here, and without a shirt.”

“I can. I’ll tie you up if I have to,” Donghae warned. “But it’s almost closing time anyway. I’m sure Sungmin won’t mind. He might even let you get off early.”

“Even if I got out early, I’d still have to wait for the both of you for my ride back home, now wouldn’t I?” The redhead asked, rolling his eyes when the other looked as if he’d just realized that the moon wasn’t made of green cheese. “Idiot,” Hyukjae couldn’t help grinning.

 

 

Day 13 in Seoul. Hyukjae’s day off, apparently mine too. He’s a miser at home. Why do I like him again?

“Don’t put your feet on the table!”

“Shoes off in the apartment!”

“What are all the dirty pans doing in the kitchen?”

“Whose dirty socks are on my bed?”

“Did you just dump the whole bottle of detergent into the washing machine?”

“What are all there muddy footprints doing in the hall?”

“WHY IS THERE A STRAY DOG IN MY APARTMENT?!”

 

Donghae snorted when Hyukjae began complaining loudly in the bathroom about how Donghae ought to do this and ought to do that. He obediently cleared up everything after getting yelled at by the hot headed red head just the way Hyukjae wanted it, even got rid of the poor homeless puppy, and was now lying sprawled on the couch with a bucket of popcorn in his hands. He was pretty sure that Hyukjae would most certainly yell at him for leaving crumbs on the floor but Donghae couldn’t care less at the moment. He pressed random buttons on the TV remote searching for a good channel but at this time of the day,

The water in the bathroom turned off. Hyukjae stepped out of the bathroom freshly showered and wet, shaking his head to get rid of excess water off his hair. It wasn’t until Donghae let out a loud squawk that Hyukjae quickly realized that he had a guest — and he was stark . The redhead yelled in surprise before rushing off quickly into the bedroom, tripping over the phone cord on the floor before landing face-first on the bed. He groaned loudly in embarrassment.

“I DIDN’T SEE ANYTHING, I SWEAR!! But damn you’ve got a flat . I think I’ve got enough for the both of us.”

“SHUT UP!!”

 

“Dress nicely, I’m taking you out to eat.”

“Ooh, is this a date?” Donghae asked, eagerly bouncing on the couch. “Are you taking me out on a date? Do you like me? Hyukkie, you’re so adorable! Thank you!”

Hyukjae grunted. “I’m not ‘taking you out on a date’. We’re only going out to eat because I accidentally burned the pizza and unless you want burnt crusts for dinner, I suggest you come along quietly with me. No mentioning about a ‘date’ or whatsoever, otherwise I’m leaving you at home to starve.”

Donghae pouted and dropped his head back onto the couch. “I thought you were interested in me. Don’t you like me?”

“Not unless you’re the last person on Earth, but even then I’d think twice about it.”

“Hmph, meanie .”

“Say ‘’ one more time and I’ll cancel our reservation.”

 

Day 14 in Seoul. Hyukjae said he’s gonna teach me how to make coffee. I’m afraid I might burn him instead.

Donghae listened carefully and watched intently as Hyukjae demonstrated how to brew a mixed blend of the Arabica beans. He thought the redhead looked most attractive when he was concentrating on something. When The brew was done, Hyukjae poured out a small sample for Donghae, who took it with slight apprehension. He still remembered how the redhead once tricked him with an Americano on the first day they met. Hyukjae saw the hesitation and rolled his eyes.

“Drink it. Don’t you like coffee?”

Donghae gulped the coffee quickly while nodding. “Love it… very… much…”

Hyukjae snorted. “You’re such a bad liar, you know that?” He shook his head and handed Donghae the coffee grinder. “Alright, your turn. Make me some decent coffee.”

“Isn’t that what 3-in-1 coffee exists for?” Donghae asked, getting some hot water to make the coffee, but the ladle burnt his hands badly. “Ow. Hot. Hot! HOT!!!!” he exclaimed, dropping the ladle back into the sink.

His hands had turned bright pink. Donghae winced and showed them to the amused Hyukjae. “Hands hurt. Blow and make them better,” he pouted.

“Aren’t you a little too old for this now?” Hyukjae mused, but nonetheless obligingly blew lightly on the reddened hands until Donghae claimed it was better. To be completely honest, Donghae was surprised that Hyukjae actually took him seriously when he meant it as a joke. Still, he wasn’t complaining. He grinned when it felt considerably better, picking up the ladle once again cautiously and brewing a perfect blend. Hyukjae was impressed when he taste-tested it.

“Not bad. You pick up quickly. You’ve got coffee in your blood.”

“Well I’ve seen it being done many times before… I just never tried,” Donghae confessed. “Mom and Dad loved coffee. I guess I picked up my coffee-making skills from them,” he added with a shrug.

“It’s really impressive. I have a feeling you’ll be able to work as a barista here with some more training. Sungmin asked me yesterday,” Hyukjae said nonchalantly, wiping his hands on a damp towel as the first of the customers started trickling in. “Think you can handle a couple of orders today?”

“You bet!” Donghae grinned. “Bring it on!”

 

Five minutes later…

“HYUKKIEEEE WHAT IN THE WORLD IS A TRIPLE CHOCOLATE FRAPPE WITH CARAMEL AND HAZELNUT SYRUP?”

 

Day 15 in Seoul.  Sungmin put me back to waiting tables. I guess my coffee-making skills still need brushing up. Now I wish I’d paid attention to Dad.

“The weather seems to be getting colder and colder every day.”

“Of course, it’s almost winter. I hope you’ve got warm enough clothes with you?”

Donghae shook his head. “Not really. I was in a rush when I left my house so I’ve only got autumn clothes with me. But I promise I’m okay as long as I’m with you.” He blushed when he realized what he just said, but Hyukjae didn’t seem to realize so he just let it slide.

“Hmm. Sungmin would kill me if I let your freeze in winter. Let’s go shopping today.”

“W-What? What about work? You can’t just go off in the middle of work!”

Hyukjae stirred up a mug of pumpkin spice latte and pushed it towards Donghae. “Try it. Sungmin’s own recipe. He loves experimenting with pumpkins and also came up with the autumn menu.”

Donghae took a sip and nodded in approval. “You haven’t answered my question yet.”

“We’re going after work. Did you really think is was that irresponsible to leave work right in the middle of the day?” Hyukjae snorted, completing a few more orders for Donghae to deliver to the guests. Donghae rolled his eyes and swiftly delivered the coffees, flirting a little with the female patrons. He blew a flying kiss to one of the customers, who blushed and giggled like a schoolgirl.

“Girlfriend?” Hyukjae teased.

“Nah, she’s just a regular. I’m not interested in girls,” Donghae answered, propping up his elbow and resting his face on his palm while looking dreamily at Hyukjae. “My dream type of guy is a grumpy, grouchy old man with beautiful almond eyes, thick kissable lips and gummy smile, and makes superb coffee every day. Oh, and he also has fiery-red hair.” He chuckled and then continued. “Does that description ring a bell anywhere in that pretty little head of yours?”

“Nope. I don’t know anybody who looks like that at all. No bells rang,” Hyukjae said nonchalantly, wiping the countertop before placing a few more cups of espresso on it. “Table number five. Careful of the toddler there.”

Donghae pouted and brought the coffees, grumbling lightly to himself.

 

“Hyukkie look! This jacket is so furry! And soooo soft!” Donghae exclaimed, wrapping himself immediately with the fabric and sporting a blissed out expression. “Ahh… this reminds me of home.”

Hyukjae chuckled at Donghae’s childish antics. “Choose whatever you want. I need a new one anyway; the old fur’s falling out.”

Donghae squealed in glee and galloped all over the store, trying on all sorts of furry jackets and downy vests, dancing and hugging himself in content whenever he liked a certain coat he put on. “It’s just soooo warm and toasty…”

Hyukjae let Donghae get lost in the array of winter clothing, smiling to himself when he heard the bubbly giggles throughout the shop. The shop assistants also couldn’t help grinning to themselves whenever Donghae drifted across them with an excited grin, floating eagerly from one place to another, going gaga over the animal prints and flowery suits. Hyukjae thought they looked ‘unmanly’. Instead, he strolled the aisle for more proper winter apparel, touching and feeling the various textures the shop had to offer.

“Hyukkie! Which colour do you think suits me the most?” Wild Donghae suddenly appeared in front of Hyukjae’s nose, holding up a red and a blue furry jacket with faint leopard prints. Hyukjae thought both looked fine.

“Why don’t you try both on and let me see?” he asked, touching the fur to see if it was real. It looked real enough.

Humming, Donghae slid on the red one first. “I like this colour because it’s bold, but I thought blue looked softer on me. I couldn’t pick one.”

“Try on the other one.”

Donghae conveniently plopped the red jacket on Hyukjae’s shoulders before putting on the baby blue jacket. “How about this?”

Hyukjae hummed and nodded his head. “Blue is more becoming on you. Your personality fits blue anyway. Plus, it brings out the shine in your eyes. I’d go with blue if I were you.”

Donghae admired himself in the mirror and turned around to face Hyukjae. He grinned. “Red looks pretty on you too.” An idea suddenly popped into his head and his eyes shone brightly. “How about if we got matching jackets instead? You scream red all over and it’s even showing on your head. Alright, that’s decided then! I’ll get the blue one while you get the red one. Deal? Deal! Yeah!” Donghae fist-pumped into the air and hopped around merrily on his feet, making Hyukjae roll his eyes for the nth time that day.

 

Day 16 in Seoul.  First snow! Luckily we got the jackets yesterday. I love it so much, it’s so cosy!

“About time you lovebirds showed up,” Sungmin remarked, suppressing a grin as Donghae and Hyukjae turned up for work in their matching winter wear. Hyukjae decided to drive that day when he woke up later than usual and Donghae just followed suit. The owner then pulled Hyukjae to the side as Donghae went to hang up his coat in the employee’s locker. “Are you guys together already? That was fast!”

Hyukjae snorted. “Puh-lease. I’d rather date a monkey than go out with him. He’s too childish for me. You should have seen him dancing all the way home yesterday after I bought the coat for him. He was literally over the moon.”

“That was sweet of you. I think he’s starting to worm his way into your heart. Your heart of ice is melting!” Sungmin gasped, clutching his chest in a dramatic manner. “Who would have guessed that your soul mate would turn out to be a fish?”

Hyukjae choked on his own saliva and Sungmin had to thump him hard on his back before he could recover and speak properly. “He is NOT my soul mate. We’re just colleagues, for goodness sake.”

Sungmin laughed and patted him on his head. “He’s a keeper. You better catch this fish before you end up with a monkey or a baboon for real. I’m serious.”

“Really, I can’t tell,” the redhead muttered, squirming out of the owner’s hold so he could join Donghae in the lockers. Donghae had just taken off his shirt to put on his uniform, and Hyukjae stared as the back muscles tensed and relaxed. Apparently Donghae was just as built as him, perhaps even buffer, but then again Hyukjae had been as skinny as a rat since young and Donghae was simply blessed with all the assets any gay man could ever dream of. When Donghae finished buttoning up his shirt and began turning around, Hyukjae quickly opened his locker door so it wouldn’t be too obvious that he’d just been admiring his half- body thirty seconds ago.

“I have a feeling we might not get as many customers today. The snow is starting to pile up. I wouldn’t be caught dead walking in the snow anyway,” Donghae commented, shrugging lightly while tying the apron around his waist. “See ya outside, Hyukkie.”

 

As Donghae predicted, business was indeed slow for the day. Hyukjae sat down on one of the bar stools and sighed with a bored face. He propped himself up on his chin and closed his eyes for a moment, bored out of his mind.

Donghae saw that Hyukjae was fast asleep, or so he seemed to be. He tiptoed to the other side of the bar and grinned at the beautiful resting face. He barely restricted himself from tucking away the bright red fringe that had fallen in front of his eyes. “You’re so perfect, you know that?” Donghae whispered with a small grin. “You’re so grumpy at times but I know you’re really a good person inside. I would have frozen to death by now if it wasn’t for you,” he added, leaning forward. Donghae wondered if he could sneak in a shy kiss before the redhead woke up. He was afraid that Hyukjae might hate him for the rest of his life, and worse come to worst he might even get kicked out of his apartment. But Hyukjae’s lips were so plump and inviting that Donghae just couldn’t resist. He breathed quietly through his nose, bringing his lips closer to the alluring red, just millimetres apart. He closed his eyes and leaned closer. Just one kiss.

“What are you trying to do?”

Eyelids fluttered open at once and Donghae blinked in panic when he saw that Hyukjae had woken up and was staring suspiciously at him. Donghae gulped and backed off at once. “S-Sorry! I was just—but your lips—I thought I could—sorry.” He turned a bright tomato red and sat back with a pout. “Why won’t you like me? My charm always works on people. You’re the first to have resisted.”

“So you’re basically telling me that you’re a playboy, eh? People fall for you left and right and worship the ground you walked on, correct?”

“Wha—no!” Donghae frowned. “I’ve only had one real relationship… but it didn’t last very long. He was just taking advantage of me and my parents after all.”

Hyukjae shook his head in disbelief. “What’s there to take advantage of you or your parents? You couldn’t even sustain yourself after leaving your house. Your parents don’t exactly seem worried about your whereabouts anyway,” he pointed out. “Have you ever tried contacting them?”

“They’re not important,” Donghae shrugged. He bit his lip. “Can I kiss you?”

The redhead eyed him coolly. “No. You may not.”

“Even if I told you I really liked you and told you I wanted you to be my boyfriend?”

“Still no.”

“Please?”

“Donghae,” Hyukjae mused, ruffling his hair in frustration. “Please stop crushing on me. I am not boyfriend material. And I’m not looking for a relationship either. Period.”

“… even if I let you top in this relationship?”

“… No.”

 

 

Day 17 in Seoul.  Hyukkie rejected me! ㅠㅠ I’ll make him fall for me if that’s the last thing I’ll ever do!!

Donghae crept out of bed before Hyukjae awakened, softly padding to the kitchen to fix a perfect breakfast for the redhead. He remembered a two-ingredient banana pancake recipe he’d found online and decided to try it. They’d just gotten a bunch of humongous bananas the day before and Donghae knew Hyukjae almost always had eggs around the apartment. The pancakes would do marvellously well.

He mashed up the bananas and added in the egg, whisking vigorously as he went. When he was done whisking, he eyed the banana-egg concoction rather suspiciously as it looked more like gooey baby food instead of pancake batter, but decided to trust the recipe anyway. The moment Donghae tried flipping the pancake in the heated pan, the pancake mushed up completely on his spatula and became a bundled-up, gooey, sticky mess. He swore he could even see the mixed egg white getting scrambled on the pan. He wrestled with the ‘pancake’ for a while before giving up and dumped a huge ball of banana omelette onto a plate. Donghae poked the alien ball with a fork before deciding it wasn’t alive. It tasted alright, but looked simply horrible. What a waste of perfectly good bananas, he thought. He sighed in defeat and decided on making a new batch of batter all over again, sans the bananas. Little did he know that the only other occupant in the apartment was stirring awake by the alluring smell of bananas cooking.

Hyukjae sniffed the air and stirred under the warm, cosy blankets. Before this they had worked out a deal that they’d each keep to their side of the bed, since the bed was rather wide after all. More often than not Donghae found himself falling off the bed for not wanting to flip over to Hyukjae’s side – he had quite a reputation as a hugger in his sleep but he didn’t want Hyukjae to permanently ban him from the bedroom. Hyukjae rolled off the bed and slid into his slippers, following his nose out to the kitchen, sniffing as he went.

“Something smells awfully good… bananas?” Hyukjae surprised Donghae in the kitchen with a grin. He traced the banana smell to the little alien ball Donghae had set aside and stared at it in confusion. “What have you done to my bananas?”

Donghae blinked. “Err, well, I kind of… scrambled it? Wait no don’t eat that… it’s gross!”

“What?” Hyukjae asked sleepily, stabbing the bananas ball with the fork and tasting it. “Tastes good… mine.” He took up the plate and shuffled towards the couch, squinting directly at Donghae who was amused to no end. “I’m not sharing. Make your own alien banana ball.”

Donghae quickly whipped up a fresh batch of traditional pancakes and brought them into the living room with a bottle of syrup, setting the entire tray on the table before Hyukjae. “I thought you’d prefer proper pancakes?” he grinned, nudging the bottle of strawberry syrup towards the redhead. “My mom used to make coffee-flavoured ones but you didn’t have any raw coffee powder, so I added your premix instead. I hope it’s edible.”

“I want bananas.”

“Huh?” Donghae blinked, confused. “The banana ball was actually a failed experiment… You liked it?”

“Bananas!” Hyukjae sulked, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Ooookay,” Donghae hummed, going off to the kitchen to fetch a fresh banana and cutting it into slices for Hyukjae. “Your bananas, Hyukkie.”

“Your pancakes are awesome. Make them for me every day. This is an order,” Hyukjae hummed, eating mouthful after mouthful. “As long as you’re residing under my roof, you’re making pancakes for me every single day until you move out.”

“So… I’m a live-in maid for you now?” Donghae asked, raising his eyebrow at the redhead hungrily gobbling up the food. “Not even a proper thank you? Like, a kiss or something?”

Hyukjae narrowed his eyes at the other. “I knew you were up to something. You made this for me because you wanted me to kiss you? You’re despicable.”

Donghae grinned and puckered up his lips eagerly. “I don’t see a problem with that.”

“It is if you wanna continue living under my roof,” Hyukjae answered, pushing Donghae’s face away so he could fork the last bit of pancake. “Mmh, awesome, as always. Alright, you may wash the dishes for me now that I’m done. We’ll be leaving in half an hour.”

“Wait… You ate ALL the pancakes?” Donghae wailed when he saw the empty plates. “There were eight pancakes, and you ate every single one of them? You didn’t even leave a single bite for me…”

“Oh, stop crying and whip up another batch for yourself. I have plenty of ingredients, don’t I?”

Donghae pouted hard while carrying the tray of dirty plates to the sink. “I thought we could eat them together or even feed each other,” he mumbled sadly. “Meanie .”


 

Day 18 in Seoul.  Hyukkie is still a meanie .

“Guys, can you help me babysit Henry for a while? I need to fetch some supplies and my regular babysitter is sick. It’ll take only two hours, maximum,” Sungmin asked, carrying the toddler in his arms. “I’ll even pay you extra if you can get him to eat his breakfast and do some pre-school work. He’s been throwing a lot of tantrums lately.”

Donghae grinned at once and held his arms open, cooing when Henry naturally reached for him. “No problem at all! It would be a pleasure. I bet I could make him do even more than that,” he joked, Henry on the head. The little toddler was still half-conscious and curled against Donghae’s neck for warmth. Donghae looked at Hyukjae with a happy grin. “He’s so damn cute,” he mouthed to the redhead, who snorted and rolled his eyes back at him.

Sungmin left after he was assured that Henry was in good hands. Donghae was making funny faces at the kid, who giggled every now and then, while Hyukjae watched them from behind the counter like a mother hen. The owner couldn’t help teasing Hyukjae on his way out. “Just say yes to the boy already. I told you he’s a keeper.”

Hyukjae blushed and shook his head defiantly. “No way. I’ve only known him for two weeks, tops. He talks in his sleep, you know that? It’s creepy. I don’t want a boyfriend like that. And I’m not looking for a relationship right now. I’m just focusing on working.”

“Keep lying to yourself. I know you like him. You’re a little too comfortable and overprotective with him in such a short period of time. Listen to your heart, not your head. Sometimes, you just don’t know what you’re doing.”

Donghae’s bright chuckles and the toddler’s bubbly laughter seemed to snap Hyukjae out of a trance. He blinked and shook his head before pushing Sungmin firmly towards the door.

“Don’t you have stuff to pick up? Henry is gonna miss you. We’ll miss you too. Okay, bye!”

Sungmin growled playfully. “Yah, mark my words, Hyukjae. The heart knows better what it’s doing than the head sometimes.”

“Yes, okay, bye, thanks for the lecture, I’ll think about it.” Hyukjae bundled a bunch of warm coats over the owner before pushing him out of the door and slamming the door shut.

“Phew!”

“Hyukkie meanie! Scowd Papa!” Henry suddenly stomped up to Hyukjae and lightly hit the redhead’s legs. “Henwy don’t like Hyukkie. Henwy like Hae hyung!”

“Wait a second, Henry, it’s not very nice to hit people like that,” Hyukjae frowned, prompting the toddler to run towards Donghae and hide behind his legs. “Did Donghae teach you that?”

Donghae’s eyes widened. “What? No! That’s based purely on instinct. Sometimes I want to hit you real hard in the face too, but I need a place to stay so I insist on keeping good terms with you.” Donghae blushed lightly. “Besides, you know, I have a huge crush on you and all; I wouldn’t want your face to be bruised up. I’d have to kiss your boo-boo’s better then and I know you wouldn’t let me anyway.”

“Kissy! Hae hyung no kissy Hyukkie! Hyukkie meanie,” Henry tugged Donghae’s pants and asked to be carried. “Henwy hungwy.”

Donghae grinned at the stunned Hyukjae before tending to the little kid, walking farther and farther into the kitchen out of sight. “Should Hae hyung make chocolate pancakes for Henry?”

 

Hyukjae smiled as he watched Donghae and Henry get along like a house on fire. Never mind that Donghae was actually in his mid-twenties already – he could communicate with Henry easily especially in gibberish, or ‘chipmunk talk’ as they both liked to call it. The redhead shook his head, amused at how nonsensical it all just was. He was never good with kids, and kids didn’t necessarily like him back. But he’d always dreamed of setting up a family with a couple of kids in it, so his significant other half had to be simply awesome with children. He stared at Donghae for a while, letting Sungmin’s words sink into his head. Donghae wasn’t so bad after all. He was smart and hard-working, and he took everything with just a grain of salt. He wasn’t insulted easily and knew when to laugh at jokes and when not to. Besides, he was quite handy in the kitchen too, not to mention kids. Hyukjae probably should just give him a chance so they could get to know each other better. He wasn’t getting any younger – once his birthday rolled around in a few months, he’d be thirty already. Too old, he thought. He spent most of his time working at the café anyway. Was Donghae really the one for him after all?

He blinked out of his reverie when he felt a tug at his pants. When he looked down, Henry ed a red folded paper rose into his hands. “For Hyukkie,” Henry babbled. “Fwom Hae hyung.”

Hyukjae smiled and patted Henry’s head before the toddler waddled back to Donghae, who was blushing madly. The waiter smiled and thanked him for the rose, which he placed carefully on the cash register in plain sight of everyone. Donghae grinned happily and made a heart gesture with his arms on his head. Henry followed suit. They looked so adorable that Hyukjae couldn’t help chuckling to himself.

 

“So, how was the babysitting session?” Sungmin asked as soon as he got back. Donghae handed back to him a sleeping Henry, well-fed and entertained for a good two hours.

“Henry was an angel. I wouldn’t mind looking after him again next time if you want,” Donghae grinned, the brown tresses fondly. “I want a kid next time when I marry. Hopefully my hubby would be okay with kids too,” he added, bashfully looking at the redheaded waiter taking orders from an old lady customer with a gentle smile on his lips. “But even if he were awkward, I’m still okay. Coz that’s what makes him, him.”

 

 

Day 19 in Seoul. Hyukkie is acting weird. I hope he doesn’t kick me out.

That day after work, Hyukjae wore an all-solemn face throughout the journey home. Donghae got a little scared when Hyukjae wouldn’t respond normally to his blabbering and yakking and decided to keep quiet after a while. Quiet Hyukjae was scarier than angry Hyukjae. But then, he’d never really seen Hyukjae angry before.

Donghae finally couldn’t stand it when he went to bed and Hyukjae was still staring at him with a poker face. “H-Hyukkie, what is it? Talk to me, you’re acting really weird today,” Donghae said, biting his cheeks and twiddling his fingers nervously. “Is something the matter?”

Hyukjae frowned, scaring Donghae even further.

“Who are you, actually?”

“What do you mean?” Donghae asked, confused even more than ever. “I’m Donghae. We work together at a café, remember? Tous Les Jours?”

Hyukjae sat upright and crosses his legs before him. His frown dissipated and he tried reassuring Donghae with a soft smile. “You’re not too sleepy yet, are you? Let’s play twenty questions. I want to know more about you.”

Donghae’s lips were drawn in a tight line. He nodded, drawing the blanket closer to him. “Okay,” he said, voice soft. “Who starts first?”

“What’s your full name? Age? Address?”

“Lee Donghae. I’m twenty five. And I told you before that I’m from Mokpo,” Donghae answered while rocking on his legs. “My turn. Are you gay or bi? I swear I’ve seen you looking at girls before. Answer honestly.”

“Bi, but I prefer girls.”

“Why?”

Hyukjae grinned. “My turn first. Who are your parents?”

Donghae grew slightly uncomfortable. “I thought twenty questions were supposed to be about me, not my family.” He paused for a while. “Leeteuk and Kang Sora.” Hyukjae hummed softly, trying to remember from where he’d heard those names before. Donghae quickly followed up with his question. “Why?”

“Why girls?” Hyukjae grinned. “Because they’ve got curves and s and asses. And their aegyo can be pretty on-point.” Donghae grunted softly and looked away, losing hope slightly. “So how many girlfriends have you had before? You’re single now, aren’t you? How long have you been single?”

“That counts as three questions,” Hyukjae frowned. “Three. I broke up with the last ex a year ago. Haven’t been in a relationship since.”

“Don’t you want to find a partner?” Donghae couldn’t help asking. He brought up a pillow and hugged it for warmth. “I hate being alone and lonely. I’m actually really grateful that you dragged me here the other day. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Hyukjae smiled. “I’m not looking for a partner, but I’m thinking that maybe I can make a few exceptions this time,” he added, looking at Donghae fondly. “Let’s change the topic. What’s your favourite colour?”

“Blue.” Donghae grinned. “Yours?”

“Red. Favourite animal?”

“Puppies. I have a little white puppy at home, her name is Yuki.” Donghae smiled sadly. “She must be missing her Daddy so much…”

“I used to have a puppy too. But she went to doggie heaven just a few months ago,” Hyukjae said softly. “Poor Choco had a weak heart. I miss her too.”

“I’m sorry about your loss,” Donghae consoled the other gently. “Is there anything I can do to help? I could get you another pup for companion if you want. What kind of dog was she?”

Hyukjae shook his head. “I have you for companion now, don’t I?” The redhead smiled at the confused Donghae. “She was a Pomeranian. She used to be my little Princess. I pampered and spoilt her too much. I kind of miss doing that now.” Hyukjae sighed. “Why are we talking about such a sad topic?”

Donghae hummed. “Can I ask you a question, and you have to promise to answer me very honestly.” He continues when Hyukjae gave him a slight nod. Donghae took a deep breath. “Do I… Will I ever have a place in your heart?” Donghae bit his lower lip and chewed anxiously. “I want to know if I ought to give up on you and move on, or wait until you respond. You’ve always been so lukewarm, I never know what to think. Sometimes you’re warm, sometimes you’re cold. You agree and disagree to things I say. You’re in and you’re out. You’re up and you’re down. And I could go on with the entire Katy Perry song.”

Hyukjae laughed heartily and tugged on the blanket to tease Donghae, who responded with a whine. “You have a special place in here,” he tapped his chest where his heart was. “Right next to Choco. Just so you know, I loved her a lot.”

 

 

Day 20 in Seoul.  Hyukjae likes me back!! Hyukjae likes me back!! /screams/

Business was even slower than before. Sungmin decided to close up shop early. Hyukjae didn’t want to go back yet, and Donghae was still slightly confused over yesterday’s game of twenty questions so he stayed back with Hyukjae as well.

                Hyukjae made two mugs of hot chocolate and set them on a table near the icy window, along with a dish of fluffy white marshmallows. “Donghae, come here,” he said. “Have a seat. We need to talk.”

“About what?” Donghae asked, sliding into the booth at once and warming his hands on the mug. “Was it because of yesterday?”

The other nodded with a grim face. He folded his arms over his chest and stared at Donghae with a scrutinizing gaze. Donghae noticed at once and grew conscious immediately. “Did I do something wrong again?”

“Why didn’t you tell me that your parents owned the entire chain of Tous Les Jours franchise, hmm Lee Donghae? Or did that information just casually slipped your mind?”

“You never asked!” Donghae answered, adding a few small marshmallows into his hot chocolate. “I don’t like talking about them anyway. They’d always favoured Donghwa over me. I’ve always been the invisible kid.”

Hyukjae sighed. “You know this entirely changes my perception on you, right?” He stirred in some creamer and took a sip. “You’re my boss’ big boss’ kid. I’m just a nobody.”

“So? And that’s a problem?” Donghae asked, putting his mug down after sipping the beverage, leaving a chocolate moustache on his face. “I’m still a human, and besides, the fact that they’re not looking for me proves that they’re not even the slightest bit worried about me. I’m thinking they totally cut ties with me already. I’m fine with it,” Donghae shrugged. “I’ve got you and Sungmin, haven’t I?”

Hyukjae stared at the chocolate moustache and his lips. Whatever else Donghae said was drowned out by his sudden desire to kiss the thin, pink, chocolate-covered lips right before him. He stood up, startling Donghae at first, then pulled Donghae’s chin up. “You’ve got me,” Hyukjae said and bent down to kiss him chastely on the lips, then pulled away a little. “And I’ve got you.” He grinned at the other’s stunned expression, as if he couldn’t believe that his crush just kissed him directly on the lips.

Once everything settled in, Donghae blinked and a wide smile appeared on his lips. His face dusted a faint pink. “Hyukkie… Does this mean anything to me? To… us?”

Grinning, Hyukjae sat back on his seat, satisfied. “I don’t know. What do you want it to mean?”

“That you like me as much as I like you and you’re gonna ask me to be your boyfriend while I cook pancakes for you every day for the rest of your life? If you’ll have me, of course.” Donghae’s eyes were glittering as he fidgeted about his seat.

“Hmm,” Hyukjae hummed, grinning slightly. “I was thinking about getting you a new bed because you keep hugging me in your sleep, but I guess asking you to be my boyfriend could work too.” He lightly poked Donghae on the nose. “So, annoying brat Donghae, if I asked you to be my boyfriend, go out with me, and make me alien banana pancakes every morning till I’m sick of it… would you accept it?”

Donghae laughed happily. “Yes I would, a hundred times yes,” he chuckled. “Can I kiss you now?”

Hyukjae nodded with a grin, grunting softly when Donghae smothered him in a bear hug and pressed their lips firmly together. Donghae snuggled into Hyukjae embrace, enjoying the personal warmth his boyfriend was providing him with. Just thinking about their new relationship made Donghae go giddy with happiness.

“By the way,” Hyukjae smirked, “I still top in this relationship.”

“Even if you go bananas from too many bananas?” Donghae laughed.

Hyukjae kissed him back firmly as a response.