IV. Glimpse

Second chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


It's the 6th of May. (3 months, 2 weeks since his so-called Independence Day).

 

For the past 26 years of his life, he spent his birthdays with his family and sometimes with his friends, but never alone. However, this year seems to be different. When he abandoned his wedding, he made the decision to grow up and chose a path for himself even if it means going against his Appa.


He left for sake of his heart. He didn't left his family for nothing but rather he's giving them time and space to respect his decision. It was not an easy decision to make if Baekhyun would be honest to say. He had sleepless nights thinking about the pros and cons of his actions. And so far, he's not regretting his decision.


The now platinum-haired male sighs as he stares at the calm ocean. Replacing the negative thoughts out of his head. Baekhyun made a decision.
Okay there's no room for self-reflection whatsoever. Today's my day! I won't waste this day. Now, Byun Baekhyun, go and enjoy this day! He cheers himself.


Oh, yes. Today is Baekhyun's 27th birthday and this is gonna be the first time he's spending it all by himself. He sighs.
His filed leave today shouldn't be put to waste. He filed a day-off for his special day even though he is sad not to see his little pumpkins' today at the hospital. Last month, after being such a lazy bum for 2 months, he finally got a job. The small male was hired as a pediatrician. Aside from being a profession, it also serves as a distraction. (Baekhyun misses Kyungsoo's nagging and Jongin's annoying nerdy talk. He may or may not miss his older brother's sassy attitude, too!)


Pulling him out of his reverie, he felt the vibration of his phone. He fishes out his phone from his back pocket and answers the incoming call.


"HYUNG!~" the high-pitched voice of his cousin greeted him. He somehow regrets giving him his new phone number. "형~ 생일축하해!" Taehyung, his over-energetic cousin wished him happy birthday.


"Yah, where are you right now? What if someone hears you?" he hissed to masked his happy tone. Truth to be told, he's happy that Taehyung called. At least, one of his family greeted him. 


"Whatever, hyung!" Baekhyun can actually hear the pout and roll of his cousin's eyes. "By the way, Uncle Heechul made a dinner reservation for your birthday today! The family will have a simple celebration, though you're not present."


Baekhyun's heart constricts a little at the information. He misses his family so bad. But at the same time, he don't want to go back just yet. He stands firm of his decision. 


"Don't worry! I will just send you some photos of the celebration later." His cousin said. "Also, you should know the pain you're putting me because they kept pestering me about you!"


"Thank you, Taehyung-ie." He softly told his cousin. It's not just for the birthday greeting but for all the things he did for him. He's really grateful to have a cousin like him. "I owe you a lot huh?" He joked.


"No problem, hyung. You know you can count on me, okay? If you're having a hard time there you could always go back here and I'll save your fat . That's what cousins are for." Taehyung chuckled a little. It brought a smile to Baekhyun. He's lucky to be his cousin.


"Yeah, yeah. Update me later okay? I gotta go now. I'll have a wonderful time by myself. Have fun, relax and drink lots." He teased his cousin then abruptly ended the call. He laughs when he heard his cousin groan.
--


Joining a group of tourists, Baekhyun hopped in the boat that will take them to an island 45-minutes away from the resort. He decided to booked in a hotel and go island hopping. He will try the different water activities that the resort has to offer. This wasn't the first time that he'll ride a boat nor to try island hopping but this is the first time that he'll do such thing, alone. 

 

Back in his home, whenever they went to the beach or going to an island or even to a mere pool, his Appa often insists for him to have a personal guard on duty just in case something happens. Baekhyun is the 2nd son of the household but he thinks that his family is overprotective when it comes to his safety. Even his youngest brother has more liberty than him. (Baekhyun thinks it's unfair and pouts at the thought). He somehow feels like a fragile gem inside a glass cage. He throws tantrums before but eventually he just ignore their protectiveness thinking that maybe it's their natural instincts. 

 

Back then, he remembers that he always argue with his father. "Dad, I'm 26. I'm old enough to take care of myself. I don't need guards anymore." He reasoned. He even enrolled in a self-defense class before to prove it to his parents. He's a 10th Dan judoka. See, father? I am very much capable of handling myself from dangerous situations, he proudly beemed to his father.

 

But sadly, his father won't save him from his Appa's antics. With a smile, he'll just say, "I know, baby, I know. But you don't want to go against your Appa. Not you or even I stand a chance against him." Baekhyun can't argue with that because he knows that his father's right. He often wonders how he was able to escape the wedding himself under the keen eyes of his Appa.

 

It's only the cliche and vague reason of safety measures that was retorted to him by Heechul. "Baekhyunnie, I love you and I don't want aything to happen to you, okay? I won't forgive myself if something happens to you." And that shuts him up and renders him speechless, giving into his appa's wishes. The silver-haired male don't know if it's just him who overthinks or if really his family is overreacting. The petite male always argue that Jongin, his baby brother, has more freedom than him, a 26-year old pediatrician. (Baekhyun scoffs at his Appa). And usually, his argument is always invalidated by his older brother, Kibum (which is always accampanied by his sassy remarks) and his appa Heechul. Then his dad, Siwon, and Jongin will be there to merely support him but not really helping him to win his arguments. In the end. it was a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter