Chapter Thirteen

'Twas only a Dream
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He had been fidgeting in his seat the moment they left the mansion. If he would count the time he had been seen in public with his mother and father, this will be the seventh time. It’s not that he hates being seen with them, but it is just awkward and he hates the publicity especially the cameras and all.

The ride was like his version of meeting Death in public. He suddenly felt a warm hand holding his nervous one.

“Relax baby, it’s just a party.”

He turned his head and was rewarded by his mother’s loving smile. For some reason, he suddenly felt at ease.

After a few more minutes, they finally entered the large Victorian gate. The schools ground is very much alive with lights this night as well as with cars of various expenses. They drove straight to the entrance of the Social Hall where a red carpet was laid. A valet opened the door as he moved out first followed by his mother then his father. Media men were already capturing this very rare occasion where you get to see the great Wu family complete in public. His father escorted his mother as he follows them behind, still tolerating the bright flashes of the cameras. When they are finally inside, he was amazed how the very plain wide hall transformed into a very elegant one. After all, it was the biggest hall right next to the open field.

The decorations vary from the glittering gold and black. The walls were draped with fashionable curtains of black and gold and a combination of both. The large chandeliers illuminate the wide hall and some more elegant lights around the corners. The buffet table on the far left is covered with a black cloth; the utensils were of gold color that it would make you wonder if those were really golden ones. On the opposite of the entrance is a small stage where an orchestra is playing a very lively music. Tables were covered with black cloth with embroideries and vases atop. The provided chairs were covered with golden cloth to compliment the table. A round space was allocated at the center, probably for the dance later.

“Kris!”

The three of them looked at the owner of the voice and saw Fei running up to them. She is wearing a black long evening gown that hugs her figure well. A lone gold flower is embroidered on the chest part and the net pinned on her head with fashionable ribbons is gold as well.

She didn’t mind the idea that his parents were there, both were aware that Fei is a friend of his. He gave him a hug, followed by another one on his mother then on his father.

“Good evening Mister and Mrs. Wu. It is very rare to see you attend parties like these one,” Fei smiled after parting.

“We need to wind out for some time. Where are your parents?” Mrs. Wu asked.

“Oh, yes, you mentioned it as well, they want to meet the two of you, let me lead the way,” Fei smiled.

“No need, we can get there. Would you mind escorting our son? He is dateless as of the moment,” Mr. Wu smiled and left the grinning Fei on the bored Kris.

“Where are the others?” he asked the moment his parents left.

“You look like you had just removed a big thorn on your neck,” Fei giggled, “They are actually waiting for you,” she added and dragged him on table where his friends are located.

To give the parents their own time, the hall is divided into left and right, for the parents and the students respectively. It looks like everyone has a date so he keeps on looking around for her when he got on their table.

“She is over there, with Chanyeol as her date. You are just way too slow,” Baekhyun rolled his eyes, gesturing over the front table where she is sitting and talking with the Nerd and laughing as well.

-----------                                                     

When the hall was quite full already, she decided to finally open the program. She slowly stood behind the microphone as the orchestra stops followed by rippling effect of the silence around the hall.

“Thank you everyone for participating in this Grand Ball. We are very much in gratitude on the parents who didn’t hesitate despite their busy schedule to attend this ball. We assure you that your effort will not be put to waste. As stated in the invitation, this is not just a party but an auction as well. We had already chosen a charity group where we will donate whatever amount we will get from the auction. For now, I would like everyone to enjoy the night first for the auction will take place a few hours later. I formally welcome everyone on the Grand Ball and Auction Night of the Eiden Academy.”

It was followed by applause as the orchestra started playing, the noise settling again. People started pairing up for the dance, and Chanyeol, her date did the same.

“Shall we dance?” he offered and she is too kind to decline.

His arms slowly winds on her waist as she does the same with hers on his neck, closing the distance between them. There’s no malice in this gesture for her, after all they are friends. He had been with her, keeping her company the moment he transferred when they were in their second year.

“I thought you would wear the one I gave you,” Chanyeol pouted, his voice pulling her back from her reverie.

“Mom had actually insisted this one. You know how she wants us to always be identical,” she smiled.

He had been his friend long enough for him to know her parents as well. Somehow, he is like the brother he never had.

As they sway in silence, she felt that feeling of boring eyes on her. It’s just pure human instinct and she wants to see if it really true. She turned her head and caught Kris looking their way. She saw how he slowly averted his eyes, ignoring them or probably doing so because he was caught.

That’s another thing that confuses her.

He had known the guy since freshmen year. His family is really renowned so who would not know the only son of the powerful Wu couple. Her first impression was he is simply like those arrogant rich guys as described on novels she read because of his mysterious aura and his being a man of few words. He doesn’t have any friend at the start of the year and only got his own group when they stepped into the next year.She can note a few times she talked to him because he seems to be avoiding her. But she was thankful that these past months, he seems to be talking with her freely with no awkwardness around.

Some of Kris’s gestures leave her into deep thinking. It was just plain curiosity and she is sure that he acts a bit different from the usual things a guy should do. It’s not that she thinks he is some crazy guy, but his gestures somehow depict some meaning she cannot decipher. She would love to enumerate those moments but somehow, she doesn’t want to assume or anything so she just let it be that way. ‘An opportunity will soon show up and I will finally get to know his motives why he is like that, if ever there is,’ she thought.

“Can I have my dance with her now?”

--------

He had been eyeing the two on the dance floor and the distance they share just annoys him all the more. She had caught him looking their way so he averted his ga

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter