Saturday

Let's Play Fair!

Youngji stood in front of the Performing Arts Club office with a wide smile on her face, clutching onto the filled-out application form in her hands. She was one step away from becoming a club volunteer, even if it will only be for the school festival which will only last for a week.

She could still remember how Hara got all excited after telling her what had happened during lunch.

 

"Really?!" Hara's eyes lit up as her eyes skimmed through the application form, "Mark Tuan personally gave you this?"

"Um, surprisingly, yes," Youngji gushed. She could still feel the butterflies on her stomach as she mentioned Mark's name.

Hara quickly grabbed a pen from her pocket and held it out to her friend, "Then what are you waiting for? Fill it out already!"

Hara was eager to help Youngji out. Too eager, that she forced Youngji to include 'being cute and sweet' as one of her 'skills'.

 

"Fighting, Heo Youngji," Youngji whispered to herself, before knocking on the front door.

"Come in!" a voice called out from the inside, and Youngji already knew it was Mark's. She held the paper tighter with her hand, while the other held the doorknob. For the past years, she had never thought she would find herself in front of the club's office. She was still shy back then, but now that Mark personally gave her a reason to go to the office, there was no turning back.

"Fighting," Youngji hummed under her breath, before twisting the doorknob open. Youngji lowered her head as she entered the room.

"Oh, it's you!" Mark greeted as he stood up from the couch, "I thought you wouldn't come."

"Oh, haha, no," Youngji chuckled nervously, "Um, being a volunteer sounds interesting, so..." she slowly reached out her application form to Mark, "I hope I get accepted."

Mark nodded, and he still had the wide, cheery smile on his face. He took the form from Youngji before patting her shoulder, "I'd love to work with you for the school festival!"

Youngji's eyes widened, as she felt her heart beat faster, "What?"

"I said I'd love to work with you."

Youngji gulped, before giving Mark a puzzled look. She never expected Mark to feel that way about her, "You--You would?"

"Of course," Mark laughed, "I know you are a hardworking, trustworthy person," he patted her shoulder again.

Youngji didn't know she was already smiling giddily because of what she had heard. Now that she has received a compliment from Mark Tuan, one of her life goals has been achieved.

"We'll be having a volunteers' orientation tomorrow here in the office. It's a Saturday, so I know you'd be able to attend," Mark explained as he went back to his desk to place Youngji's paper with the other forms, "Be here by 9:00, Youngji," he smiled again.

"Ah, yes. Yes, I will come!" Youngji beamed, she was already excited for tomorrow's orientation, "I'll be early, don't worry!"

Mark laughed with Youngji's too eager expression, "I'll see you tomorrow, then."

Youngji nodded, before taking a bow and quickly running outside.

 

-

It was already 12 midnight, and Youngji was still wide awake, spending time just rolling on her bed. She was too lovestruck to sleep, too excited for tomorrow's orientation.

"I'd love to work with you."

Mark's words clearly echoed in her head. Youngji could feel her cheeks get warmer as she recalled her afternoon conversation with Mark Tuan.

"I'd love to work with you too," Youngji smiled to herself.

It has been two and a half years of crushing on him, and it felt overwhelming to finally get a chance to spend time with him, Youngji thought to herself.

"One week of volunteering, one week of being in the same club as Mark..." Youngji sighed. Although one week was quite short, she was still thankful for those days.

Youngji closed her eyes shut. She didn't get enough sleep, again. And she knew she might not function well when the morning comes since she lacked sleep again. But this time, her reason why she lacked sleep was good.

Her reason was Mark.

 

-

The sun was shining bright outside. And Gayoon was already preparing breakfast downstairs. She only has Saturday as her day off from work, so she makes sure to start the day right by making breakfast for her mother and her sister.

She was humming a song to herself as she placed pancakes on the plates, until she heard loud footsteps coming from upstairs.

"Dang it! I'm almost late!" Youngji rushed to the kitchen wearing a wrinkled shirt and worn-out jeans, "Gayoon unnie, I have to go now!" Youngji smiled before kissing her sister's cheek and taking a bottle of milk from the fridge.

"Wait, Youngji, where are you going?" Gayoon called out as she ran to chase her sister, who was almost about to open the door, "Youngji, it's Saturday!"

"I know, unnie!" Youngji smiled, "And today's going to be great!" she exclaimed before closing the door, leaving her baffled unnie behind.

Gayoon creased her forehead, "Well, she should've at least chosen a better pair of jeans to wear," she sighed before going back to the kitchen.

 

"Crap! I overslept again!" Youngji hissed as she waited for a cab in front of their house. And after she remembered that she had promised Mark that she would come to tje orientation early, her stomach began to churn.

"Ah, I'll be late!" Youngji glanced at her watch. She could not afford to be late for the orientation, or Mark might kick her out of the club.

The worse had come to worst, she thought to herself. She quickly laced her sneakers tighter before taking a deep breath.

"You are the wind, Heo Youngji," she whispered to herself...

...before dashing her way to school.

Youngji didn't care anymore if people were already looking at her for running through the busy streets of Seoul just to go to school. Good thing it was a weekend, there were less people and vehicles outside.

"Run, Youngji, run!" she repeated the words on her head, as she forced her legs to carry her to school.

 

-

"Um, is everyone here already?" Gyuri, one of the Performing Arts Club's officers, called out as she looked around the club's conference room. The applicants had clueless looks on their faces, and they also looked around the room.

"Gyuri noona, three people are not yet here," Seungyoon, a junior member of the club, went to approach Gyuri and held out some papers to her, "President Tuan is not yet here too."

"Why did I even join this club?" Gyuri hissed as she read the papers Seungyoon gave her, "Please call Mark and tell him to come here right now."

It was already 9:16, and the meeting has not started yet. The applicants inside the room were already having their own businesses as they waited for the other three applicants and for the person who was supposed to start the meeting.

 

"I'm... here..." a worn-out Youngji slowly dragged her way inside the conference room. She carefully took a seat at the back, since she did not want to disturb the others who were already inside and also because the seats at the back were still empty.

"Are we complete now?" Youngji heard Gyuri's voice call out from the podium in front. And from the crowd, someone answered back with "not yet".

Youngji gulped; she was one of the reasons why the meeting hasn't started yet. To ease her guilt, tiredness, and hunger, she decided to open her bag and drink the bottled milk she took from the fridge before she left their house that morning.

 

"You skipped breakfast, didn't you?"

Youngji heard someone speak beside her. And while she was gulping down milk, she slowly turned to look to where the voice came from.

"Ah, let me guess, you were too excited for this that you forgot to eat breakfast. Heo Youngji, such an unhealthy girl."

Youngji had the greatest shock of her life after seeing Jackson Wang comfortably sitting beside her. He had the annoying smirking face on, "Surprise," he grinned.

"Gu--" Youngji quickly covered with her hands to prevent herself from spitting her drink towards him. After swallowing her drink, she spoke, "Wh--what are you doing here?"

"Huh?" Jackson had a clueless look on his face, "I thought this is the orientation for Mark's future minions?"

"Club volunteers," Youngji hissed to correct him with an extremely annoyed look on her face. She had to endure Jackson five days a week, and when she thought that Saturday would only be her 'free day', he was still there to ruin it.

"Yeah, whatever," Jackson responded with a grin, "Minions, volunteers, they're all the same. I am actually getting the feeling that Mark Tuan is about to sell our souls to the devil just to make sure that the school festival next week will be a hit."

Youngji just let out a deep sigh. She was completely done with Jackson Wang. She averted her eyes away from Jackson to clear her view, and just in time, Mark Tuan entered from the door in front. Youngji's eyes lit up as she watched Mark enter the room. He had a friendly smile on his face as he talked to Gyuri and his fellow club members. He also looked dashing with his button-down shirt and jeans; quite simple, but he looked... good. Very good, Youngji thought to herself.

Jackson noticed Youngji's sudden silence and how she was fixated on staring at Mark at the front. He creased his forehead, before waving his hand in front of her face, "Hey. Hey."

But Youngji was still focused.

"Heo Youngji. Hey, hey, hey," Jackson has no plans of giving up yet, "Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey."

Youngji bit her lip in annoyance, as Jackson was slowly getting on her nerves. She clenched her fists, "What do you want, Jackson Wang?" she sputtered.

"Talk to me," he responded with a serious look on his face, "I sat here because I want to talk to you!"

Youngji sighed, "Look, Jackson Wang, there are lots of people in this room you can talk to."

"Don't you want to talk to me?" Jackson retorted, and from the look on his face, he looked like he was about to throw a tantrum for being ignored by Youngji.

"I don't--" Youngji was about to explain her side, but then she felt a light tap on her shoulder which made her look back.

"Hi Youngji noona!" Bambam smiled before taking the empty seat on the other side of Youngji's seat, "May I sit here? You're the only one I know here."

"Ah, sure, sure," Youngji smiled as she watched her junior sit beside her, "You also want to join--"

"Hey kid. What brings you here? You're too young for this kind of club," Jackson hissed as he gave Bambam a furious look.

Bambam was clueless about Jackson's annoyance with his presence, "I saw a poster in our classroom about the Performing Arts Club looking for volunteers. I thought it would be interesting, so I joined!" Bambam had a hopeful look on his face, as he turned to shift his eyes towards Youngji, "I feel glad I joined, because you're here too."

Youngji felt her cheeks get warmer because of Bambam's statement, while Jackson was already restraining himself from dragging Bambam out of the room.

"Hello, hello, mic check," Mark spoke through the microphone, it was the signal that the meeting was about to start, "Good morning, everyone! We're sorry for starting this meeting a bit late," he chuckled.

The applicants had mixed reactions when Mark spoke: some of them seemed fine and had forgiven him, while the others seemed annoyed for the meeting's failure to start on time.

"Um," Mark looked around and tried to familiarize himself with the faces in the audience, "So I guess we can start now. To give you an overview of what's going to happen next week, may we call the Performing Arts Club's coordinator for student affairs, Miss Nam Gyuri!"

Youngji straightened herself in her seat, eager to listen to what Gyuri has to say. Bambam focused himself too, while Jackson just let out a yawn.

"Good morning," Gyuri smiled warmly, "So, last week, our club started posting ads and distributing flyers around the campus regarding our search for club volunteers for the  school festival which will be held in two weeks' time..."

"This will be boring," Jackson sighed.

"Keep quiet and just listen," Youngji whispered with an annoyed tone in her voice.

"...our club is responsible for the 50% of the program, which includes the decorations, the events, and the approval of exhibits of each section. And with that, we shall also divide you voluteers for each task," Gyuri continued.

Youngji heard Bambam let out a deep sigh, "Ah, I feel like I won't be a big help to any task," he bit his lip in anxiousness.

Youngji, being a caring noona she was, smiled at her junior, "Don't worry about it. I know the other club members will help us with the tasks, they would appreciate any offer of help."

Bambam responded with a shy smile after Youngji's positive remark. How can Youngji affect others with her positivity? "Th--thank you, noona."

"Don't mention it," Youngji smiled warmly.

Unbeknownst to the two, Jackson Wang was listening closely to their conversation, and he was already ticked off. He spoke with a serious tone in his voice, "Hey you two, why don't you listen to the speakers in front? Keep quiet and just listen."

Youngji and Bambam were startled with Jackson's sudden mood swing. A few minutes ago, he seemed fine, but he suddenly became prickly afterwards.

"Maybe he's got his monthly visitor," Youngji whispered to Bambam which made the latter chuckle.

"I can hear you, peasant," Jackson seethed, "If you kids are only going to dilly-dally here, then you shouldn't have come here in the first place."

"What?" Youngji furrowed her eyebrows in disbelief, "What are you talking about? Just because we spoke a little, you'd call that chattering?!"

"Um, excuse me?" Gyuri spoke through the microphone, with her eyes directed towards the back row where the three sat, "Is there something wrong over there?"

Youngji was startled; she didn't notice that her voice was already loud, "Ah, I'm sorry. We're okay here. Sorry," she laughed nervously before lowering her head.

Gyuri nodded, "Oh. Okay then. Where did we end?" Gyuri glanced at her papers again, "Oh right, about the designation of tasks..."

Youngji bit her lip in annoyance. She had never expected that Jackson Wang would humiliate her like that. She took a quick look at him, and he seemed indifferent about her embarrassment.

"This is all your fault," Youngji glared at him.

"Let me call on our club secretary Miss Lee Soonkyu to assign and designate you guys to your respective tasks," Gyuri spoke before handing the microphone to Soonkyu.

A short but cute young lady cleared before starting to speak, "Hi everyone! So I'm Soonkyu, and I'm the one who reviewed your applications and decided which task you are going to belong based on the information written on the forms you submitted. There are four tasks, the three will have eight members while the other one will have six. You might be assigned to work for the technical staff, the propsmen, the event coordinators, or for the exhibit staff."

"Ah, I hope we get to work under the same group," Bambam whispered to Youngji. She had to admit, she was hoping to work either with Mark, to spend more time with him, or with Bambam, because he seems like a nice person and an awesome friend.

"Okay, I'll announce first those people who will work under the tech staff," Soonkyu remarked, before reading the paper she was holding.

Bambam adjusted himself in his seat, "Ah, she's going to announce the names, noona."

Youngji nodded, "Let's hope we get to work under the same team."

"Pfft. Can't you work alone?" Jackson grinned. But Youngji only responded with a piercing look on her face.

___

 

Let's talk! ask.fm & twitter

Hello guys! Eighth chapter up, and I am really sorry for taking too long with the updates. Life has been really busy that I had to lessen my time in writing for this fic. But don't worry; I am not giving up on this. ;) Special thanks to the awesome people who gave this story additional upvotes: ExoDiamandis, Krystynah, StarryDream4, bomiyy, and ardinthasyahlindri, you guys are awesome. Also, please contiue sending comments and stuff, I love hearing your thoughts and they are my motivation~ Happy reading!