Missing

Let's Play Fair!

It was a bright day outside as Youngji went out of their house. And she was quite surprised to see that the sun actually came out that day.

"And the weather news said today's going to be rainy," she whispered to herself as she took an umbrella hanging from the front door; the umbrella which was left by Gayoon for her.

Youngji immediately turned to look at the other side of the road, anticipating the noisy Jackson Wang to be on his way to her house...

 

But he was nowhere to be found.

 

Youngji creased her forehead, "Ah, this is weird. He's not here," she thought to herself.

 

But she almost died after a sudden realization hit her. Youngji felt her cheeks become warmer, so she quickly covered her face with her hands.

 

"Ack! Why am I expecting that he'd come over and go to school with me everyday?!"

Youngji was flustered. Since when did she begin expecting Jackson Wang to go to school with her? And it was not like it was his obligation or something. And Youngji was sure she was not missing him.

"Ah! I hate this!" Youngji exclaimed in annoyance, "It's not Jackson Wang's obligation to fetch me at home. I can go to school by myself! I am Heo Youngji!" she was too engrossed with her self-talk that she didn't notice that she was already talking too loudly for others to hear.

And an old woman was already looking at her suspiciously from the far end of the road.

"Independence," Youngji hummed to herself, "I am now free," she started walking without looking back. She knew she would enjoy her freedom without Jackson Wang. Peasant no more.

 

-

"...and when you solve for the opposite side, you can either use sine law or tangent law..."

Youngji was too focused on the discussion going on. She kept her eyes focused on her Math teacher, taking occasional glances down her notebook to check if she was jotting down notes correctly. It was such a beautiful day for her: the weather was doing well, she was enjoying class, and there was no sight of Jackson Wang.

"Okay, what if only one of the sides of the triangle and an angle are given? How are we supposed to solve this?" the teacher asked.

And Youngji quickly raised her hand to answer.

"Yes, Heo Youngji?"

Youngji cleared before starting to speak, "We have to solve for the angle's value with sine, cosine, or tangent. And then we either multiply or divide it with the given measurement for the side, depending which part of the triangle it is."

The teacher nodded with satisfaction, "Well said. So here is an example of that problem," she added before starting to write on the chalkboard.

Youngji couldn't help but smile with confidence to herself. She wondered how many points would be added to her final Math grade for always getting the right answers for her teacher's questions.

 

A few more minutes passed and the bell rang. The room was suddenly filled by whispers and chattering from the students. It was time for lunch.

"Okay, you guys read chapter twenty, and we'll be having a short quiz on our next meeting!" their Math teacher spoke, before getting her stuff and leaving the classroom.

Youngji quickly approached Hara who sat one seat in front of her, "Hey Hara, let's eat lunch together!" she smiled as she placed her lunch box on top of her friend's desk.

"Oh, Ji, I'm sorry I can't eat with you today," Hara turned to look at her with an apologetic look on her face, "Miss Kawamura from the International Students Organization asked me to help them with some papers and stuff," she quickly took her bag before hugging Youngji, "I'll make it up to you tomorrow, okay?"

Youngji nodded, although she already had a glum look on her face.

"Cheer up, Ji," Hara grinned, "Tomorrow, I promise," with that, she quickly ran out of the classroom, leaving Youngji in deep thought.

Whom should she eat lunch with?

 

-

Youngji held her lunch box tighter as she slowly walked her way towards the cafeteria. In her four years in high school, it was her first time eating lunch alone.

"Hi Youngji noona!" someone greeted from behind her. Youngji quickly turned to look and saw Yugyeom with a wide smile on his face, "Have you seen Jaebum hyung and the others?"

Youngji shook her head, "Ah, no I didn't, I'm sorry," she spoke.

Suddenly, a voice deep inside her head started telling her to ask about Jackson. Yugyeom is his friend, so he would probably know where Jackson was, Youngji thought to herself.

But then, wouldn't it be suspicious if she suddenly asked about him? Yugyeom might think something was up between them.

"Is that so?" Yugyeom scratched his head in confusion, "Oh well, I'll be going now, noona. Thanks," Yugyeom smiled before starting to walk away.

Youngji clenched her fists. To ask or not to ask. She was dead curious about Jackson Wang's whereabouts, but her dignity was at stake if she asks Yugyeom.

Youngji watched Yugyeom walk away, oblivious to the fact that his noona was fighting off something in her head.

"I wonder where those stupid hyungs could be?" Yugyeom whispered to himself.

 

"Kim Yugyeom!"

A voice called out from behind, so Yugyeom immediately turned to look.

"Ye--yes, Youngji noona?" he wore a baffled expression on his face. Youngji stood stiffly behind him, with her fists clenched and her eyebrows furrowed.

"I want to ask something!" Youngji exclaimed. She didn't realize that she already looked furious from how she stood and spoke, which made her younger acquaintance feel nervous.

"Wh--what is it, noona?" Yugyeom spoke sheepishly.

 

Youngji took a deep breath before starting to speak...

"Do you know where Jackson Wang is?"

 

-

"Brr... why is it so cold?!" Jackson muttered to himself as he squirmed under the blanket to make himself more comfortable. Beside him were wrappers of cupcakes and chocolate bars, a bottle of paracetamol, and boxes of tissue.

"I hate this feeling," he thought to himself before holding his forehead to check his temperature.

His coach was right; he did get fever after soaking himself in the rain yesterday.

Jackson creased his forehead after remembering Coach Hwang. He hated it when his coach knows better.

"I shouldn't have stayed in the rain for too long," he thought to himself. He was almost regretting what happened yesterday, until he remembered Youngji.

If it weren't for the rain, he would not have spent some time with her inside a packed bus.

Jackson bit his lip as he started thinking of all the things that happened while they were on their way home.

"Ah, she was really short, and cute... and she smells really great. I wonder if it was perfume or it's just her natural scent..."

Jackson started feeling his face become warmer.

"She really has nice hair. So soft... and I held her waist..."

His face started getting hotter.

"She's so fluffy and soft like a human marshmallow-- Ah!" he quickly rose up from his bed with a flustered look on his face. He couldn't believe the thoughts he had running on his head. He knew he liked her, but he didn't expect himself to be the type of person who would relive their moments inside his head. Jackson immediately stopped himself from thinking stuff which might lead to something... inappropriate.

"Why is it so hot?" he suddenly asked himself before standing up to turn on the air conditioner.

He carefully took his steps back to his bed. Aside from his fever, he can feel his joints hurting in his every move.

He slowly laid down on his bed, hoping for his fast recovery.

"I should ask Jaebum for class notes then," he thought to himself before dozing off.

 

 

Knock knock.

 

"Ugh," Jackson groaned as he moved his pillow to cover his ears.

 

Knock knock knock.

 

'Ah! Don't bother me when I'm sleeping!" he exclaimed in annoyance as he sprang up from his bed with an annoyed look on his face. He was already enjoying his sleep, but it was interrupted thanks to the unexpected visitor outside his room.

Knock knock.

"Yeah! I'm coming!" he said as he trudged towards the door with a blanket draped over his shoulders.

He was ready to shout at the person outside his door, and he even already had a furious expression on. He held the door knob tighter, and with a quick turn of it, he bolted, "What do you want fro--"

"Hi, Jackson Wang!" a smiling Youngji stood in front of him, holding a fruit basket on her left hand and a paper bag full of food on her right, "I bought you something to eat!"

"Wha--" Jackson's eyes widened. He didn't expect Youngji to visit him that day, "How did you know..."

"I asked Yugyeom about you," she responded, "And I also asked him where you live."

Jackson gulped, "Um, thanks--"

He was about to take the food from Youngji, but the latter immediately went inside as if it was her house.

"Hey!" Jackson called out as he held Youngji's arm to stop her, "You can't just barge in like that!"

"I'm not here to just visit you," Youngji tilted her head, "I'm here to prepare you dinner!"

Jackson was stunned; what dinner? "It's only ten in the morning."

"Have you lost your sense of time?! It's already five in the afternoon!" Youngji exclaimed as she swiftly pulled her arm away from Jackson, "I'll use your kitchen for today, okay?"

Jackson was stunned. He didn't expect Heo Youngji to be such a steadfast young lady. He quickly ran to catch up with her, although every step seemed like his bones will crash down, "Heo Youngji!"

"Yes?" Youngji spoke without looking at him as she placed the grocery on top of the dining table.

"You can't just go inside a man's room like that!" he glared, "You are so stupid!"

He expected her to be offended and enraged by what he said, but Youngji just gave him a straight face, "Eh, why?" she asked.

"Use your common sense, you peasant!" Jackson felt frustrated about Youngji's cluelessness, "You're a girl, I'm a guy. That should be an enough reason for you not to come here alone! What if something bad happens?!"

Youngji sighed as she crossed her arms in front of her, "Like what?"

"Huh?"

"You said something bad might happen. What is it?"

Jackson was dumbfounded. Well, he didn't want to imply something wrong with what he said, "Um, you know, like--" he rubbed his chin with his hands as he tried organizing his words in his head.

As Jackson thought of his words, Youngji just gave him a mocking smile, "I know what you're thinking."

"Really?" Jackson's eyes widened.

"But don't worry," Youngji chuckled before starting to remove the ingredients from the paper bag, "I know you're not going to do something funny. I trust you."

Jackson felt his heartbeat stop.

"And anyways," Youngji added, "I know I'm not your type, and you're not my type either, so everything's cool," she laughed.

Jackson quickly averted his eyes from her. Clueless Youngji will forever be clueless, he thought to himself.

"You're so dense," he mumbled before walking away to go back to his bedroom, leaving Youngji with a confused look on her face.

"Hey, I didn't hear what you said!" she called out, but Jackson had already closed the door behind him.

___

Let's talk! ask.fm & twitter

Hey guys! Ahh, it's already June and I'll be back to school in a few weeks, so I'd like to apologize ifthe next chapters will be updated slowly. :( But anyways, I'd like to thank Eunika for the upvote (nice Youngji display picture btw). :) So yeah, please let me know what you think about this chapter in the comments section below. Happy reading~