Outside

Let's Play Fair!

"Thank you for helping me out with the posters, Youngji," Mark spoke as he took rolls of paper from the large box in front of the club office, "The person I first asked for help was Gyuri, but she has an important class to attend today."

Youngji nodded as she took some posters from Mark to help him carry those. She kept averting her eyes away from him; she just couldn't handle being seen by him.

"Good thing you don't have class during this time," Mark tried keeping the conversation going, but Youngji was too shy to utter words. As the two walked around the hallways to place posters on the walls, Youngji kept her distance from Mark by walking a few inches behind him. She was holding the posters tightly, while Mark had the scissors and the adhesive tape.

"I need one," Mark turned to look at her, extending his hand to get a poster from her. And that was the only moment Youngji looked at him straight in the eye. She slowly held out a poster in front of him, and just like what she was expecting, Mark took the poster from her with a wide smile on his face.

"Thanks."

"Um, you're welcome."

Youngji watched him as he attached the poster on the bulletin board beside the Science club's office.

Mark was a very hardworking person. He was responsible, confident, dependable, and approachable. Basically, he was everything she was not. And maybe that was the reason why she liked him even more.

"Hey, Youngji," Mark called out as he straightened the edges of the poster against the board, "Do you have any suggestion for the theme of the school dance after the festival?"

Youngji was startled. She didn't expect being asked by that. Ever since she started high school, she had never been to the school dance. Hara would always insist her to go, but since she had no date and had no good dress to wear, she would skip the event.

"I'm not sure though," Youngji forced a smile, "I'm not good with thinking about those stuff. I bet the others have better ideas than me."

"You're doing it again," Mark sighed, which made Youngji tilt her head in confusion.

"What are you talking about?" she asked,

Mark shook his head before starting to speak, "You're being depreciative of yourself again," he started walking again, and Youngji couldn't help but feel piqued about what Mark was actually thinking about. She quickly walked to catch up with him, and with a puzzled look on her face, she asked, "Why are you saying that? What do you mean I'm belittling myself?"

Mark patted her head as they walked, "You see, Youngji, you are a nice young lady. You're smart and creative. But you keep on thinking that others are better than you and that your abilities are not at par with them," he sighed, "Don't think too negatively. Try trusting yourself more. You deserve to feel better about yourself."

Mark's words were enough to fluster Youngji. She quickly averted her eyes away from Mark as they walked. He was the first person, aside from Hara, who told her such thing.

Youngji has been the type who avoids getting attention to herself. Between her and her older sister, it has always been Gayoon who was praised for her talent and her charms. Gayoon was also friendlier than her. She was a member of school organizations when she was still studying, and she was even an actress for her school's theater club.

Youngji could still remember how Gayoon's male classmates in high school would come over their house to visit her older sister. Youngji grew up thinking that women who are like her sister were the attractive ones; those who look beautiful, who are friendly, charming, and talented. But she was the exact opposite of those traits. Youngji stayed focused in her academics, had fewer friends, and didn't bother much about herself. She had to admit, she also had lots of insecurities. But after hearing Mark's words of encouragement, she felt like his words stabbed her straight through her heart.

 

"You know what," Mark continued as he stopped in front of another empty bulletin board, "I actually admire you."

 

"Huh?"

Youngji froze.

"I admire you as a person," Mark pursed his lips as he rubbed his hand against his cheek, "When we still shared the same class back in second year, I would always see how hardworking you were in your studies just to beat Jackson. And I must admit, I really like your dedication and perseverance."

Youngji suddenly felt her breathing become difficult. Yes, she did like Mark, but things were escalating a bit too quickly.

"And up until now, even if Jackson still beats you, you still keep on working hard," Mark smiled.

Youngji bit her lip in anxiousness. She wasn't sure if Mark was praising her or was just shoving in her face how much Jackson outsmarted her for the last three years, "Um, thanks."

"It would be really awesome if I also had the same determination as yours," Mark lightly shook his head before shifting his sight from Youngji to the bulletin board, "Anyways, we should finish putting the posters now. I know you still have classes today," he took a rolled poster from Youngji and attached it to the board.

"Sure," Youngji hummed under her breath with a disappointed look on her face. She wanted to know more about what Mark was talking about when he said 'admired'. Was that a confession? Or just a mere compliment of an acquaintance?

She already had a lot of problems, and it seemed like Mark wanted to add up to those.

 

-

"Ah, where could she be?!" Jackson muttered to himself with an extremely annoyed look on his face. It was already 5 in the afternoon, and based on Youngji's class schedule, she should've been on her way out from her class by that time.

Jackson stood in front of the school gate to make sure he won't miss her. He knew how quick Youngji could be when it comes to going home, especially if Hara is with her.

"That slowpoke," Jackson thought to himself as he scanned the students who were passing through the school gate, hoping that Youngji was already there.

A few more minutes passed, and he already saw her in the crowd.

Jackson quickly ran to approach her, not minding if he was already bumping into the other students, "Hey, Heo Youngji!"

Youngji's eyes widened at the sight of Jackson. She was about to run back inside, but he already held her by the arm.

"Hey," Jackson was already panting, but he wore a cheerful smile on his face, as if he was very excited to see her.

"Hey," Youngji forced a smile, "You did wait for me. What a surprise," she chuckled nervously.

"Of course," Jackson spoke, "I hope you aren't forgetting about the little deal we have for a month," he said as he pulled Youngji with him as he walked.

Youngji noticed how tight Jackson's grip was on her arm, and that already made her feel uneasy. Yes, she had been with him for days already, but Jackson had never done something like that before. Youngji couldn't see any reason for him to hold her like that as they walked.

"Ja--Jackson Wang," she called out with an embarrassed reaction on her face.

"Yeah?" Jackson responded without even looking at her. He just kept his eyes straight as he walked, pulling Youngji with him.

Youngji took a deep breath before starting to speak, "Please let go of me."

Jackson was stunned. He immediately stopped walking and turned to look at Youngji with a flustered look on his face, "Ah--Um, I'm sorry--I--" he quickly removed his hand from her arm, "I didn't mean to," even he himself couldn't believe that he got too carried away after seeing Youngji that he just held her unknowingly.

Youngji was a bit surprised after seeing Jackson's reaction, "It's okay. It just felt pretty weird for you to drag me like that," she smiled shyly. Jackson lowered his head after realizing his embarrassment, to which Youngji reacted with a hearty laugh.

"Hey, why are you laughing?!" Jackson snapped, "Are you making fun of me?!"

But Youngji just kept on laughing for the next few minutes. An annoyed Jackson Wang just watched her with furrowed eyebrows; he hated being made a laughingstock, but since it was Heo Youngji, maybe he could let it pass.

"I'm sorry," Youngji spoke as she wiped her eyes, "I didn't mean to, Jackson Wang. You were just too cute with that reaction," she gushed, "It's my first time seeing you like that," she had a playful smile on her face.

Jackson quickly averted his face away from Youngji's sight. He was already feeling his cheeks become warmer, and it would be dreadful for him to be seen blushing by her, "Stop talking nonsense! I only held your arm because you're a hopeless midget who can get lost easily in a crowd!"

Youngji's eyes widened, "What midget?! I am not small, you take your words back!" she exclaimed. Of all the things she hated, being teased due to her height was the worst, "My height is just right for my age, so you shut up!"

Jackson grinned; everything seemed back to normal.

"Ah," Youngji was about to hit Jackson with her bag for making fun of her, but then she noticed small drops of water already falling from above, "It's raining, isn't it?" she looked above her, and saw dark gray clouds slowly accumulating in the sky.

"Drizzle," Jackson responded, "We should walk faster now before it rains harder," he said before starting to walk again, with Youngji following behind him.

"Should we take a cab or a bus?" Youngji asked with a worried look on her face before covering her head with her bag, "It can get pretty difficult getting a cab when it is raining."

"We'll see," Jackson spoke, trying to hide a hint of doubt from his voice.

 

-

"Due to the typhoon currently affecting Japan, some areas of the country will experience rain showers until Sunday. According to our weather agency, the areas mostly affected by the rains will be the central and southern regions, including Seoul..."

Gayoon and her mother were already glued in front of the television, watching the six o'clock news.

"Ah, I should've finished my laundry this morning," Mrs. Heo sighed.

"Commuting would be very difficult this week," Gayoon pouted, "It's such a hassle when it rains."

"Speaking of commuting, where is your sister anyway?" Mrs. Heo turned to look at Gayoon with a worried look on her face, "Has she called you? Youngji should be here by now."

Gayoon shook her head, but no trace of worry can be seen from her face, "Maybe she's just stuck in heavy traffic, but don't worry too much, mom, I know she has someone with her."

Mrs. Heo gave her daughter a confused look, "What are you talking about?"

"She's with her friend, so she'll be fine," Gayoon responded with a playful smile on her face.

___

Let's talk! ask.fm & twitter

Hello everyone. It was really fun seeing varied reactions from the previous chapter update, and the subscriber count increased unexpectedly. Geez, I don't even know anymore how to say thank you to everyone who are keeping up with this fic since the beginning. ;u; I would like to take this opportunity (again) to thank the awesome people who gave upvotes: zephyrkaze and KPop56.

Fourteenth chapter done; please let me know what you think. Happy reading. :)