Curious

Let's Play Fair!

"...and it is expected that the whole northern region will experience heavy rains tomorrow because of the monsoon winds. Meanwhile, Seoul will experience light to moderate rains, so we encourage everyone to be prepared with their umbrellas and raincoats tomorrow..."

"Ah, I should have done the laundry last week when it was still sunny," Mrs. Heo remarked while she was watching the news, "Youngji, sweetie, don't forget to bring your umbrella tomorrow, okay?"

Mrs. Heo turned to look at her daughter who was seated on the couch in front of her. Youngji had a blank expression on her face, and it seemed like she was stuck in her own little world. She had her eyes staring somewhere in space.

Mrs. Heo creased her forehead, "Youngji?"

"Hm? Mom?" Youngji turned to look at her, "What is it?"

"Is something bothering you, sweetie?"

Youngji pursed her lips; her mother has always been concerned about her. Whenever she had a different look on her face, Mrs. Heo already knew if she was sad, sick, or hungry. She was like an open book to her mother, and she had always wondered how her mother knew too much about her. Mrs. Heo knew her better than she knew herself.

"Sweetie?"

Youngji let out a deep sigh before starting to speak, "Mom, I was just wondering..." she rubbed her nape before continuing; it was the most awkward question she could ever ask her mom, "Mom, what do forehead kisses mean?"

Mrs. Heo's eyes widened, "Eh? Forehead kisses?"

Youngji nodded.

"Well," a small smile formed in her mother's face, "It's like a sign of respect between relatives and friends. Why, sweetie?"

"Oh, friends," Youngji mused; so the kiss Jackson gave her was a sign of friendship. It was only a sign of friendship.

"Why, sweetie? What's with forehead kisses?" Mrs. Heo smiled wider, giving her daughter a suspicious look.

"It's--it's nothing, mom, I swear!" Youngji exclaimed, "I just--it's just--I mean--" she stuttered as she tried explaining herself.

"Oh, Youngji," Mrs. Heo chuckled, "You are indeed too young. You're still a giant baby," she clasped her hands in front of her; "You're too cute!"

Youngji quickly felt her cheeks become warmer, "You're making fun of me again!" she smiled awkwardly, though she was enjoying her mom being a bit mean to her.

"Ah, I'm sorry about that," Mrs. Heo smiled, "I should prepare dinner now. Your sister will arrive at any moment now," she added before standing up to go to the kitchen.

"Do you want me to help you, mom?" Youngji called out, but her mother was already inside the kitchen.

Youngji adjusted herself on the couch before hugging her knees. So, a forehead kiss is for friends and relatives, she thought to herself, "So, that Jackson Wang already considers me as his friend," she whispered to herself.

"But what about that funny feeling I got when he did that?"

Youngji's eyes widened, "Oh crap, does that mean I..." she bit her thumb in anxiousness; her thoughts were already driving her nuts, "No! I can't like him! Not him! I should be loyal to Mark!" Youngji slapped her cheeks in annoyance. Why did she have to think about Jackson too much?

"Please, Youngji, you can like every guy in the world, except Jackson Wang!" Youngji muttered to herself. And she knew it will be another sleepless night for her.

 

"I'm home!"

Youngji heard her sister's voice call out. She quickly ran to the door to greet her.

"Gayoon unnie!" she smiled before getting her sister's bag from her, "Mom's already preparing dinner."

"Oh, really?" Gayoon smiled back, "Just in time, I'm already hungry," she added before taking a seat at the stool beside the door. Youngji watched her older sister as she removed her shoes.

And she was already thinking if she should also ask her sister about her little concern.

"Unnie."

"Yes, Ji?" Gayoon creased her forehead, "What's the problem?"

Youngji can already feel her heart beating faster, "Unnie?"

At that moment, Gayoon was already sensing something different with her sister, "Yes, honey?"

"I..." Youngji sighed, "Um, unnie..."

"That's already the third 'unnie' you've spoken," Gayoon chuckled, "What is it?"

Youngji could have been contented with her mother's answer, but still, she has to be sure about it. And the only person she could ask for assurance was her sister.

"Unnie, are forehead kisses only for friends and relatives?" Youngji felt her whole world become lighter after releasing her curiosity.

Gayoon's eyes widened; it was her first time hearing her sister ask such things. Usually, Youngji would ask her about Math formulas, definition of words, and history facts. But things about kisses? It must have been a different Heo Youngji. But Gayoon had no choice. She believed that it was her obligation to enlighten her little sister, "Well, yeah. Forehead kisses are usually done by friends and family. But it could also be a way of showing that you like someone."

"Like someone?" Youngji repeated with a curious look on her face, to which Gayoon responded with a nod.

"If you like someone and you want to show him that you like him without being too aggressive or something, you could give him a forehead kiss. It's a cute and subtle way of saying you like him and respect him at the same time!" Gayoon had a satisfied smile on her face; yes, she was proud of her answer.

Youngji nodded.

Gayoon already stood up, but before walking past Youngji, she asked, "Tell me, Ji, did someone give you a forehead kiss?" she smirked.

But Youngji was too defensive for her own good, "No! Jackson didn't give me a forehead kiss!"

"What?"

Youngji was startled, "What?"

"What did you say?" Gayoon creased her forehead.

"Wh--what did I say?" Youngji gulped, "What did you say? What did I say?"

Gayoon shrugged, "Forget about it! Gee, you seem so weird today," she pursed her lips, "Maybe you're just hungry. We should eat now."

"Oh, yeah," Youngji laughed nervously, "I'm hungry," she muttered before taking a deep breath. She almost got caught by her sister. She almost dug her own grave.

 

-

"I... I think I like you!" Youngji exclaimed as she clenched her fists behind her, "I like you so much!"

The whole quadrangle was quiet, a perfect place to confess to him because no one was there. Youngji knew she was already blushing hard, but she didn't mind. All she wanted was to tell him what she has been keeping inside her for years.

The person she was talking to had his back facing Youngji, so she didn't know what his reaction looked like. Well, his reaction didn't matter anymore, "I like you, so please just tell me your answer, and I'll be fine!" tears were already welling up in her eyes.

"Jackson Wang, I like you!"

"I like you so much!"

"Jackson!"

 

"..."

 

"What the heck."

 

Youngji quickly opened her eyes, and the first thing she saw was her room's ceiling. It was still dark, and silent. She sat up straight on her bed, and noticed that she was already soaked in her own sweat.

A dream.

It was all a dream.

Or more like a nightmare.

Youngji wiped her forehead using her hand. And she was trembling as she did that.

"Dang, what a crazy nightmare," she whispered to herself. She couldn't believe that she would dream about confessing to Jackson Wang. Heo Youngji confessing to Jackson Wang? Impossible, she thought to herself.

Youngji bit her lip in annoyance; she knew it, she shouldn't have asked about the meaning of forehead kisses.

But her thoughts were still there.

"Ah! I hate you, Jackson Wang!" she exclaimed while she punched her pillow. It was all Jackson's fault; he was even following her in her dreams, "You shouldn't have done that!" Youngji closed her eyes shut, before burrowing her face on the pillow, and letting out a long scream.

"Curse you, Jackson Wang!"

 

-

"Good morning, sweetie!" Gayoon greeted her younger sister after seeing her come out of her room, "Let's eat breakfast now. And I'll drop you off to school."

Youngji was already in her uniform, though she had a haggard look on her face, mainly because she woke up in the middle of the night thinking about her bad dream, and didn't sleep until her alarm clock rang.

"Are you okay, Ji?" Gayoon had a worried look on her face as she watched her younger sister trudge her way towards the dining table, and took a seat beside her.

"Good morning, unnie," Youngji forced a smile.

"Um, yeah, good morning," Gayoon still had her eyes fixed at Youngji, "Um, mom's still asleep, so we should lock the door when we leave," she added before taking a sip of her coffee. And she still had a worried look on her face, "I prepared your lunch. Just get it from the kitchen."

Youngji silently ate her breakfast. Her energy won't last the whole day if she didn't eat properly, "If only I had enough sleep," she thought to herself. She also remembered what Doctor Kim told her yesterday: eat more and sleep more. But because of Jackson interrupting her dreams, she failed to follow the doctor's advice.

 

 

"Youngji, wait for me outside!" Gayoon called out from her room. Youngji was in the kitchen, putting her packed lunch inside her bag. Though she already had three cups of rice for breakfast, she can't still feel herself that day.

And it was all Jackson's fault.

"You jerk," Youngji mumbled to herself, "Why don't you disappear already? Go evaporate!"

She quickly wore her backpack behind her, before running outside. And as she opened their front door, the first thing she saw was...

Jackson Wang, standing in front of their house.

"Hey!" he called out with a wide smile.

"What the--" Youngji quickly closed the door, and she already had a mortified look on her face. She was already thinking that the heavens might have some conspiracy going on against her. Of all the people who could greet her first thing in the morning, why did it have to be Jackson?

"Curse you," Youngji seethed as she lightly bumped her head against the wooden door. She was wondering why he was there, and since when he has been standing outside their house. And the thing that puzzled her most was: how did Jackson know where she lived?

Just in time, Gayoon went out of her room, "Ji? What are you doing?" she asked after seeing her youger sister's devastated expression, "And why are you holding onto the door like that?"

"Huh?" Youngji creased her forehead. It took her a few seconds to realize that she already looked weird in their front door: both of her hands holding against the door, as if she was pushing against it.

"Who's outside?" Gayoon went to grab her bag from the couch, before walking towards Youngji, "Who's outside?"

"No--no one!" Youngji forced a smile, "It was just cold outside, and that’s why I'm still here."

Gayoon furrowed her eyebrows; she was sure her sister was either pulling a prank on her or hiding something from her, "We should go now, Ji. Open the door. I'll be late for work."

Youngji shook her head, "Let's wait for a few more minutes, unnie! Just a few more minutes!"

But Gayoon already had an irritated look on her face, "Youngji, we'll be late! Open the door!" she quickly moved Youngji's hands from the door before opening it and walking outside.

Youngji had no choice but to follow her sister, but surprisingly, Jackson was not there anymore. She rubbed her eyes, making sure she was seeing correctly.

"Close the door, Ji," Gayoon called out as she looked around for a cab.

A wide smile formed on Youngji's face, thinking that her eyes might have only played a trick on her earlier. Jackson was not there after all.

But while she was locking the door, a familiar voice called out from behind.

"Hey!"

Youngji froze.

"Oh, you're... you're Wang Ka-yee? The fencer?" Youngji heard Gayoon speak with an excited tone in her voice.

"Um, yes," Jackson bowed, "But I'm usually called by my English name, Jackson," he smiled, "You must be Youngji's sister?"

"I am! I am! Are you Youngji's friend?"

"Yes."

Youngji fell her whole world stop for a moment. What a great way to start the day, she thought to herself. Her sister has already met her nemesis. And it seemed like she liked him. And since when did she become his friend?

"Youngji, come here!" Gayoon called out, giddily, "Here, take a picture of us!" she reached out her phone to her sister.

Youngji had a dumbfounded look on her face. She was very surprised to see her sister being too happy to see Jackson, "What?"

"I'm a fan of him!" Gayoon smiled widely as she held Jackson's arm, "I watched his every competition! Go take a photo of us!" she gushed as she fixed her hair with her other hand. Jackson, on the other hand, already had a shy smile on his face.

Youngji had no choice but to follow what her sister had said. She lazily aimed the phone at the two, "Okay here we go," she spoke with an uninterested tone in her voice, "Say kimchi."

"Kimchi!" Jackson and Gayoon smiled widely, both of them flashing a peace sign. Youngji couldn't help but to cringe; the two looked like clueless tourists who were about to take a hike up in the mountains.

"Did we look good?" Gayoon asked as she approached Youngji to get her phone. She quickly swiped her phone away from her sister, "Oh boy, wait 'til my friends see this!" she muttered to herself.

Youngji just slapped her forehead in dismay, before noticing Jackson approaching her.

"Hey, Heo Youngji," he smiled.

"What are you doing here?" Youngji scowled.

"I told you, for a month, we'll go to school together," he grinned.

And Youngji slapped her forehead again.

"Oh, thank you, Jackson. Thanks for the picture," Gayoon smiled as she approached the two. She held her sister's shoulders and gave her a wide smile, "You have a really kind friend here, Ji. You should treat him nicely!"

Youngji already wanted to melt on that spot, while Jackson just laughed heartily, "Ah, Youngji is a very nice person," he remarked sarcastically, to which Youngji responded with a glare.

"Well, I should be going now," Gayoon bowed before walking the other way. Youngji quickly held her sister's arm, "Unnie! I thought we'll take a cab to school?!" Youngji asked with a hopeful look on her face. She was hoping that her sister would save her from the clutches of the devil in the form of Jackson Wang.

But Gayoon didn't.

"Honey, Jackson's here to go with you to school," Gayoon patted her sister's head, "Why don't you go with him? Take a cab together. I'll just take a ride on the subway."

"Unnie, please..."

"Goodbye, noona!" Jackson waved, "Travel safely!"

"You too! Please watch over my Youngji," Gayoon smiled back before starting to walk away, leaving Jackson and Youngji behind.

"Unnie! Don't go!" Youngji was about to chase after her sister, but Jackson already grabbed her arm. She quickly turned to look at him with a glare.

"We should go now, peasant," he grinned before dragging Youngji towards the main road to find a cab.

Youngji had no choice. Gayoon had already left, Jackson was already holding her, and she was almost late for class. She knew it; the heavens have something against her.

"I hate my life," Youngji thought to herself.

___

Let's talk! ask.fm & twitter

Hello everyone! Geez, thank you for the warm support and continuous reading of this fic; we're almost about to hit 100 subs and 20 upvotes! ♥ You guys are all awesome, and I want to thank nyniea, sammy7, and dessheo for the additional upvotes~ I really enjoyed updating this story mainly because of the comments and upvotes this fic receives, so please keep 'em coming. I would also like to let everyone know that starting tomorrow, chapters won't be updated daily anymore since my school break is already over. Maybe updates will be posted during the weekends, don't worry! ;)

Fifth chapter done! What are your thoughts? :)