Walk

Let's Play Fair!

"Too bad we got separated," Bambam sighed as he placed a slice of pizza on his plate. The meeting was already over, and the participants were already inside the cafeteria for some snacks. With a discouraged look on his face, he went to occupy an empty seat in a table near the counter. He was followed by Youngji, who had a hopeful smile on her face.

"Don't worry about it, Bambam," Youngji patted the latter's shoulder before sitting beside him, "You'd do great with the tech people!"

"But you're not with the tech people," Bambam sighed.

"Well, yeah," Youngji tilted her head after a realization hit her: Bambam wanted to be in the same group with her, "But it's because I'd be more needed with the propsmen. I'm not good with tech stuff... I couldn't even understand how sound systems work! So, I guess we'd be better in our own ways. And we'd still see each other!" she smiled widely while pumping her fist in the air. She was already noticing the gloomy look on Bambam's face, so she had to choose her words better.

"Come on, Bambam," Youngji pouted, "Cheer up!"

"Yeah kid, cheer up!" Jackson beamed as he placed his plate in front of the two and took a seat on their table, "You'd be great with the tech peeps! You'd be great with us!"

Apparently, Bambam and Jackson got assigned to the same group.

Youngji creased her forehead; she was quite surprised with Jackson's sudden optimism, "Um, I'm glad you're happy to work with Bambam," she forced a smile.

"Hah. Of course," Jackson grinned before taking a bite of his sandwich. Yes, he was happy with the groupings, but not because he will get to work with Bambam, but because neither of them will get to work with Youngji.

"It's either I get in the same group with Heo Youngji or no one will join her," Jackson thought to himself.

"Why, noona," Bambam lowered his head, "Don't you want to work with me?"

Youngji was startled. At that moment, she was already feeling sorry and pitiful for the young boy, "Um, it's not th--"

"Why, Bambam," Jackson interrupted as he leaned closer towards Bambam, "Don't you want to work with me?!"

Bambam just gave him a piercing look.

Jackson mockingly scowled at him, "I am so offended, Kunpimook!"

"Jackson Wang, stop," Youngji spoke firmly before turning to look at Bambam, "I know you don't know anyone from your group, but I really believe that you can make lots of new friends with the tech staff. You'll enjoy their company, honest."

Bambam sighed. He knew Youngji was right, "Thanks, noona," he said with a shy smile on his face. Meanwhile, Jackson just watched the two intently... or more like he just watched Youngji intently from the other side of the table. She had a hopeful smile on her face, and just by hearing her words, although they were for Bambam, he immediately felt lighter. Maybe her positivity was too contagious, he thought to himself.

"Why can't you talk to me like that?" Jackson thought to himself.

Based from what he had observed, Youngji seemed to be a thoughtful, sweet, and caring person. But when she interacts with him, she turns into the total opposite of those adjectives.

"If you want, I could go with you to meet your group--" Youngji was about to offer help to her junior, but a familiar figure interrupted and approached them in their table.

"Yo!" Mark greeted before taking a seat beside Jackson, "What are you guys up to now? How was the meeting?"

"It was very... boring," Jackson snickered, to which Mark replied by hitting his friend's arm with his fist.

"I'm serious. What do you guys think about it?"

"It's okay," Bambam responded with a smile of assurance.

"It is! It is!" Youngji beamed with a wide smile, "Everything was explained thoroughly, and the segregation of tasks was done fairly."

"Really?" Mark's eyes lit up. He enjoyed receiving good feedbacks from other people.

"Oh, really?" Jackson scoffed before drinking his orange juice.

"Speaking of task, where did you get assigned?" Mark asked.

Bambam was the first one to answer, "Well, Jackson hyung and I are in the tech staff, while Youngji noona gets to join the propsmen."

Mark's face lit up even more. He had an excited look on his face, "Ah! Youngji's in the same group as me!"

Jackson choked on his drink after hearing Mark's words. Just when he thought his problem with Bambam was over, there came Mark Tuan announcing that he and Youngji are in the same group.

"A--are you okay?" Youngji asked as she handed down a piece of tissue to Jackson.

"Can you believe it?" Mark giddily spoke, "Youngji, we'll work together again, just like the good ol' sophomore days!"

Jackson felt his blood rush up to his cheeks. He had never felt threatened before. Lots of things could happen if Mark and Youngji spend more time together in their group.

"That would be really nice," Youngji spoke sheepishly, "I--I look forward to work with you."

Mark nodded, "Me too! Same goes with Jackson and..." he had a puzzled look on his fave as he turned to look at Bambam, trying to remember his name. But the latter already took the initiative to tell his name.

"It's Bambam."

"Yeah, and Bambam!" Mark laughed, "I look forward to work with you, too! We'll start on Monday, better be ready because it'll be a long week ahead of us."

Youngji and Bambam nodded, the two being the most enthusiastic about volunteering. Jackson, on the other hand, just kept quiet as he got lost in his own little world.

 

-

"Oh my gee! I'm so happy for you!" Hara exclaimed, or more like screamed, through the phone.

"Thank you," Youngji gushed. She was already on her way out of the campus so she decided to call her friend. Hara was the first person she called after being accepted as a volunteer; she knew that Hara will be the most excited for her volunteering, "You should have joined the club volunteers too."

"Ah, I'm already busy with our section's exhibit. I wouldn't be able to do two things at once," Hara chuckled, "But don't worry, Ji, I will support you in your volunteering stint. I'm glad you've decided to expand your social circle!"

Youngji smiled before letting a sigh of relief. For someone as reserved as her, she was lucky to have a best friend like Goo Hara.

"I'll call you later when I get home," Youngji spoke, "Bye, Hara!"

As Youngji put down her phone, she saw a familiar figure standing outside the school gate, looking straight at her.

Youngji already felt something unusual. She gulped before slowly approaching the school gate.

"Yo!" it was Jackson, "Peasant!" he had a bright smile on his face, "Let's go home together!"

"What?" Youngji creased her forehead, "Why?!" she spoke with a hint of irritation in her voice.

"Well, I believe we still have this agreement about you doing everything I say," Jackson grinned before holding out his hand in front of her, which made Youngji tilt her head in confusion.

"What is that for?" she asked.

Jackson cleared his throat before starting to speak, "Let me... let me... um..." he could already feel sweat drops forming in his forehead.

And Youngji was slowly getting creeped out by him, "Let you what?"

Jackson averted his eyes as he tried to look for the right words to say that wouldn't make him sound... creepier, "Let me... carry your bag for you," he said in the most inaudible voice he could speak.

"What?"

Jackson sighed, "Let me carry your bag for you."

Youngji still couldn't hear Jackson's weak voice, "Can't you speak louder like you always do?!" she fumed.

"I said let me carry your bag for you!" Jackson exclaimed before pulling Youngji's bag away from her. Youngji was startled by his sudden action, which made her hold her bag tighter and pull it away from him.

"Wha--what are you trying to do?!" she exclaimed.

"I just want to carry your bag!"

"I have no money! Now quit holding my bag!"

Jackson stopped. He let out a sigh as he gave Youngji a serious look on his face. And with a calmer voice, he spoke, "Please, just let me carry your bag for you."

Youngji creased her forehead. It was her first time hearing Jackson Wang use that kind of tone. And she had to admit, he did look sincere when he said those words. But still, she can't help but wonder what his intention was. Since when did Jackson Wang become helpful?

"Um, no offense meant, Jackson Wang," Youngji smiled nervously, "But... why would you want to carry my bag?"

Jackson rolled his eyes in disbelief. He couldn't believe Youngji's denseness, "Can't you tell I'm being nice to you?"

"I know," Youngji nodded, "But why?"

"Because every human being has innate kindness given by the Creator of heaven and earth, now let me carry that darned bag for you!" Jackson retorted before grabbing Youngji's bag and carrying it over his shoulder, "Let's go, peasant!"

Youngji was stunned by Jackson's sudden action: he was being nice yet he still had an unfriendly look on his face, "Hey Jackson Wang! I don't have money today! So stop carrying my bag!"

Jackson was already a few steps away from her, "I know. You always don't have money," he smiled mockingly before continuing on his way.

Since Jackson's steps were a bit longer and he walked faster, Youngji had to stride just to catch up with him, "Wait up, tall person!"

Jackson smiled at the sight of Youngji walking beside him. The weather was nice, the streets were pretty quiet, and Youngji was with him. All he needed was a peaceful moment to share with her. All he wanted was to spend time with her.

The sound of rustling leaves and some vehicles and people's chattering were the only things Youngji was hearing. As she walked beside Jackson, who was still carrying her bag, she couldn't help but feel a certain tension between them. Or it was she was the only one feeling it?

She took a quick look at Jackson. He had a poker face on, and he seemed okay, relax, and calm.

"What is even happening right now?" Youngji thought to herself as she lowered her head while walking.

A few more seconds passed and a sudden realization struck her.

"What if people are thinking that I am his girlfriend?!" her eyes widened with that thought, "Jackson and I walking side by side, with my bag being carried by him?! Only couples should be doing this!"

Youngji immediately stopped walking, "Ja--Jackson Wang!" she called out with a firm voice.

"Huh?" he turned to look at her, "What?"

"Let me carry my own bag," she ordered.

"It's too heavy," Jackson responded before continuing to walk, "We'd get a cab on the next stop."

"Wait up!" Youngji ran to catch him. She immediately pulled Jackson's arm to make him face her, "This is too much! I don't want you to carry my stuff! You already said my bag is too heavy."

"No! What I mean is that your bag is too heavy for someone like you!" Jackson responded, "Just a few more steps and we'll take a cab, don't worry!"

"What?" Youngji was a bit surprised by his answer, "We'll take a cab? We will take a cab?"

Jackson nodded.

"Why are we going to take a cab together?! We live in two different areas!" Youngji retorted.

"Not really," Jackson smiled, "I just live a few blocks away from your neighborhood. I'll be fine," he said with an assured look on his face before starting on his way again.

Youngji was dumbfounded. She never expected Jackson Wang to live near her area. She expected that an athlete as good as Jackson would live in luxurious condominiums in the center of the city.

"But, I don't remember seeing any condominiums or high-rise buildings near our neighborhood?" she asked as she walked faster to catch up with him.

"Pfft. Who told you that I live in such place? I live in an ordinary apartment," Jackson chuckled.

"But, you're a member of the national team!" Youngji's eyes widened.

"So?"

"So you should be given a better... oh wait... you should be given the best place to live in!"

Jackson snickered after hearing Youngji's words, "Don't tell me you are expecting that national athletes lead an extravagant life? That's not true. We're normal people too."

"But where are your parents?" Youngji asked.

"They're in Hong Kong," Jackson responded.

Youngji tilted her head, "You live here alone?" she asked, to which Jackson responded with a nod.

Youngji's eyes widened. She was a bit surprised to know that Jackson Wang, who was loud and outgoing, was always alone at home. She lowered her head before getting lost in her own thoughts.

Jackson noticed her sudden silence, "Hey, is something wrong?"

Youngji shook her head in response.

"You're lying," Jackson smirked, "I know something's up. Don't tell me you feel bad about me living alone?"

"Yes."

Jackson was stunned. He only meant the question as a joke, and he didn't expect Youngji to answer him. He quickly turned to look at her, and there she was, looking gloomy and apologetic.

"Hey, Heo Youngji!" Jackson was scrambling for words as he tried consoling her, "I--I didn't mean to make you sad! I mean--"

"I'm sorry," Youngji mumbled.

"Huh?"

"It must be hard for you to live here alone," Youngji had a shy smile on her face, "I treated you badly in school."

Jackson could already feel himself blushing. He rubbed his hand against his nape, "Well, I treated you badly too. Shouldn't I be saying sorry to you, too?"

"I'll be nicer to you from now on!" Youngji beamed, "Even if you're sad at home, you'll be happy in school!"

"So, you think I'm sad at home, huh?" Jackson smirked.

"Um, yes," Youngji pursed her lips after being honest with her thoughts. She knew that being too honest can hurt other people.

Jackson laughed. He didn't expect Youngji to be too thoughtful of him, "Ah, then come and live with me forever," he smiled widely before walking ahead of her.

"What?" Youngji was startled. And Jackson got a pretty horrific mental embarrassment after realizing that his last response seemed... off.

"What?" he had a nervous look on his face.

"You said something. What was it?" Youngji asked with a serious tone in her voice.

"What was it? What was what?" Jackson grinned awkwardly. He was hoping Youngji didn't actually hear him when he let out an unusual sentence which may count as a confession.

"You were saying so--"

"Ah! A cab!" Jackson exclaimed which interrupted Youngji, "Hey Heo Youngji! We should go now!" he grinned even wider before opening the cab's door for her.

"But you--" Youngji had a puzzled look on her face.

"Forget about it; just get inside already so we could go home!"

Jackson quickly got inside after Youngji, and he was internally screaming 'thank you' to the heavens that Youngji was too naïve to understand subliminal messages and that a cab was there to save him from her interrogation.

___

Let's talk! ask.fm & twitter

Hi again! Thank you so much for reading another chapter. And also, I'd like to thank the 270+ subscribers this fic has. It's nice to see that despite Roommate ending, there are still lots of people out there who appreciate Jackji couple. Special shoutout to the beautiful people who gave additional upvotes: forever_distracted, starletjul, and Dsuarez97. Thank you very much! /throws sarangs at you/

Please keep the comments and upvotes coming. Happy reading! ^^