Food

Let's Play Fair!

It was already 6:50 in the morning and Youngji was still nowhere to be found in the classroom. Hara had been taking turns in glancing at her watch and at the door; she knew Youngji should arrive at any moment since she never goes late to class.

"Youngji, where are you?" Hara thought to herself before standing up from her seat and going outside the corridors to wait for her friend. She was still as worried as yesterday when Youngji fainted in class. Too bad she was not able to see Youngji afterwards; Hara immediately went to her next class at that time and the next thing she heard was Youngji went home already.

"Gee, are you going to be absent today?" Hara sighed. She quickly grabbed her phone from her pocket to check if Youngji left her a message. It has always been like that: Youngji texting Hara whenever she won't attend class, which happens rarely.

The corridors were already quiet since everyone was already in their respective classrooms. Hara knew their first period teacher will arrive any time soon. She turned to look at the oposite sides of the hallway, hoping to catch a glimpse of Youngji, or her shadow. Either was fine.

 

"Just stop tugging my bag!"

Hara heard her friend's voice from afar, and her face quickly lit up.

"Why don't you let me carry it?! It looks heavy!"

But then, Hara's smile slowly turned into a baffled look, "I know that voice..."

She turned to look at the direction where the voices came from, and saw Youngji with Jackson walking together. Youngji had an irritated look on her face while Jackson tried pulling her bag away from her.

"Jackson Wang, stop," Youngji hissed, "We're almost here in our classrooms. One more tug and I'll stab you with a ruler," she held her bag's straps tighter, trying not to distract herself with an annoying Jackson. But the latter seemed enthusiastic with helping Youngji.

Too enthusiastic.

"Let me put your bag on your desk for you," Jackson pouted, "Gayoon noona told me to watch over you!" he added. An irked Heo Youngji just responded with a weirded out stare. Jackson had just met her sister a few minutes ago but he seemed to act like he knew Gayoon for ten years.

"Gayoon unnie just told you to watch over me while we're on our way to school," Youngji spoke the words slowly just to make sure Jackson understood her. She never thought he could be such a pain in the neck.

But Jackson only responded with a smirk, "Well, I'm sorry if I'm being such a gentleman to your sister by looking after you," he scoffed, "Don't worry, I've already done something like this before... when my neighbor asked me to look after their dachshund."

Youngji's eyes widened. Was Jackson implying that she looked like a dachshund? "You--you big meanie!" she flared up with her fists curled up into a ball, "I hate you! You're so annoying! Why do you always ruin my day?!"

"It's my hobby," Jackson simpered, which annoyed her even more. Youngji just grunted before trudging her way towards her classroom. And Hara was already in the front door to greet her.

"Ji!" Hara smiled before giving her friend a hug, "What's with that look?"

Youngji just averted her eyes away from her friend; she didn't want to talk about her and Jackson, "It's nothing."

Hara opened the door for Youngji, before following her inside, "Did you and Jackson went to school together?" Hara asked, and Youngji quickly responded with a nod.

"He waited outside our house," she sighed, "I'm really wonderig how he knew where I lived."

Hara gulped. Well, she knew she had something to do about Jackson knowing Youngji's home address. Yesterday after class, Yugyeom approached her and asked where Youngji lived.

"Mr. Lee wants to know," Yugyeom reasoned out. Hara, being a diligent class representative she was, immediately gave Yugyeom the address. Her instincts didn't work properly at that time. But after hearing about Jackson fetching her friend from her house, she finally understood why Yugyeom asked her about that information.

"I was really surprised after seeing Jackson Wang outside our front door," Youngji kept talking, not noticing her friend's guilty look on her face, "Gee, is he being a creepy stalker or something?" Youngji added before taking her seat and getting her stuff from her bag.

"Yeah, a creepy stalker," Hara chuckled nervously. She learned something knew that day: don't just give out your friend's home address easily, especially to your friend's most-hated person's friend.

 

-

"...and the factors of production are land, labor, capital, and entrepreneur. There are some economists who believe that land is the most important factor, especially the members of the economic movement called Physiocrats..."

Jackson took a quick look at his watch, and saw that there was only ten minutes left before class ends. In a few minutes, lunch will start.

In a few minutes, he will see Heo Youngji again.

"...although some economists put entrepreneur under the labor factor..."

Jackson sighed. He can still remember how long it took him that morning to cook food for Youngji. He was not a good cook, but he just felt like making lunch for her that time.

And he couldn't wait to see her reaction with the packed lunch he prepared.

"Hah. You'll see, Heo Youngji, I'm a better cook than you," Jackson smirked to himself.

"Wang Ka-yee!"

Jackson was startled after seeing his teacher glaring at him from the front, "Mr. Wang! Are you with us?!"

Everyone was already looking at Jackson, who already had a dumbfounded look on his face, "Um, yes, sir," he nodded.

"Well then," the teacher cleared his throat before continuing, "I'll leave pages 88 until 91 for you to read. Next meeting, we'll have a short exam about that. Class dismissed."

Jackson quickly took his bag and ran towards the door with a giddy look on his face, but then, Jaebum blocked his way.

"Where are you going?" he creased his forehead, "I think you're forgetting something."

Jackson only responded with a curious look on his face. As far as he was concerned, he was not forgetting anything. Jaebum already knew that his friend was completely clueless about what he was referring to, so, after releasing a deep breath, he explained, "No one's going to eat lunch until we finish planning for the school festival in two weeks. So please, Jackson, sit down, and listen attentively," Jaebum sighed as he held his friend's shoulder before pushing him back on his seat.

"Hey, hey, Jaebum, I can always ask you about how the meeting went," Jackson protested, "Just allow me to leave first, and I'll do anything you ask me to during the festival!"

Jackson was already pleading to his friend, but the latter seemed unaffected by Jackson's efforts. Jaebum just shook his head, "Look, Jackson Wang. You've been skipping class meetings since the first day of school. I'm sorry."

Jackson furrowed his eyebrows. Jaebum was a really nice friend, but those were the times when Jackson had wished he never met him, "Yeah, President Im. Just make this meeting quick or I'll jump off the window and leave," Jackson snorted.

A satisfied Jaebum nodded before making his way to the front. He happily tapped the table with his hands, and with a wide smile, he spoke, "We shall now start our class meeting regarding the school festival two weeks from now!" Jaebum's eyes roamed around, and saw his classmates listening attentively... until he caught a glimpse of Jackson's seat...

...and it was already empty. Jackson's gone.

"Ah! Jackson Wang, you cunning pea-brain!" Jaebum thought to himself. It looked like he failed again in making his friend stay for class meetings.

 

-

Jackson wore a smile on his face as he walked in the corridors, on his way to Youngji's classroom. He had his backpack on his shoulder, and inside was the packed lunch he prepared for her.

Jackson can still remember how difficult it was for him to cook those, since he was not really an expert in the kitchen, "Let's see how Heo Youngji will react after tasting these," he chuckled to himself.

He was already a few steps away from the classroom when he saw Youngji standing in front of the door. Jackson already knew she was waiting for him.

"Hey Heo--"

 

"Youngji noona!"

 

Jackson's eyes widened after seeing a familiar figure running towards Youngji from the other side of the corridor.

"Youngji noona, hello," Bambam smiled widely as he approached Youngji, who was quite surprised to see him.

"Oh, um, hello, Bambam, right?" Youngji grinned. She had thought that she will never see the younger boy again, but she was wrong. She remembered Bambam's confession yesterday, and she didn't expect that he was really serious about it, "So, um, you need anything?"

Bambam shook his head, "No, Youngji noona. I just thought of bringing you food today. I know you're busy with lots of things right now. I heard the seniors are assigned to do stuff for the school festival," he explained, "I know noona works hard for her academics and for the event, so please don't forget to eat," Bambam held out a paper bag in front of a dumbfounded Youngji, "I bought you food."

Youngji was already hesitant to accept her junior's offer; she had thought that accepting his 'gift' might sound awkward for a senior, "Thanks, Bambam, but--"

"Please accept this, noona," Bambam insisted. He held Youngji's hand to give her the paper bag, "Take good care of yourself, and never forget to eat," he smiled warmly.

Jackson furrowed his eyebrows as he watched from afar. He was piqued at how Youngji would react. In his head, he was already burying Bambam alive.

"Um," Youngji gulped, "I... well, thanks, I'll eat this."

Bambam nodded with satisfaction, before bowing in front of her, "Enjoy your food, noona. I'll leave first, since I still have two classes left. I just came here to give you that," he smiled, before running his way back to his classroom. Youngji watched him until he disappeared from the corner of the corridor, before glancing at the paper bag Bambam gave: it had brownies, pudding cups, and an apple inside.

"Such a nice person," Youngji thought to herself. It was her first time receiving something from a guy; usually, it was her who would prepare something for others. She once baked a cake for Hara, gave gift certificates to her Gayoon unnie, and she even wrote an anonymous love letter for Mark.

Although she didn't 'like' Bambam, and she only considered her as her junior, she had to admit that her heart fluttered after seeing him do such gesture for her.

"Hey, you!" Jackson called out with an irritated look on his face. He saw everything, and most certainly he was not happy about it.

"Oh, you're here," Youngji spoke, and she was still holding onto the paper bag from Bambam. Jackson just kept an austere expression on his face, glaring at the paper bag. And yes, Youngji noticed it, "Are--are you okay?"

"Hah. I should be the one asking that question," he retorted.

"Huh?" Youngji tilted her head. It seemed like Jackson Wang was not in a good mood, "What are you talking about?"

"Didn't your parents teach you to never accept things from strangers? Or have you forgotten about it just because that stranger is apparently good-looking?!" Jackson huffed.

Youngji already knew what he was talking about, "Were you watching us all along?" she creased her forehead.

Jackson was startled; he had just realized that he seemed like a creep after observing the two from afar, "I--I was not! I just... heard you two! But I was not watching," he quickly averted his eyes, "The point I'm trying to make is that you shouldn't accept things from him easily! What if it had poison?! You'll die!"

"Please. A sophomore wouldn't do such thing," Youngji looked at Jackson suspiciously, "Bambam only meant well."

"Then here!" Jackson held out a lunch box in front of her, "Eat this!" he exclaimed before walking ahead to the cafeteria, "It's time for lunch! We should eat now!"

Youngji was baffled with the lunch box Jackson gave her, "Did you make this?" she asked.

Jackson quickly turned to look, and with a playful smile he spoke, "No! It was my pet parrot who made that," he remarked sarcastically, "Now, move faster, peasant! I'm hungry!"

"Why are you always shouting at me?!" Youngji retorted as he followed Jackson behind.

___

Let's talk! ask.fm & twitter

Hi guys! Here is a long overdue update, and I'm really sorry for taking too long with this. ;__; I was just really busy with school these past few days that I couldn't get enough time to finish this chapter. Mianhae~ /bows/ But anyways, I am really thankful for the continuous support and all. I am surprised to see that we've hit 140+ subs, even if the updates are taking a bit slowly. Also, I'd like to thank the additional upvotes this fic received from BoilKids, YangIceTea, summerturtle1439, piglehorn198, fairyna978, and mochaccino. ♥

Please let me know what you think about this chapter. Comments always motivate me! :) Happy reading, everyone!