Aged 13 and 14 Part II

Fear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I stood in front of the mirror frowning. I turned to L, pointing to my face

"No way, I'm not wearing this. Nuh uh." I gestured at the rest of my body. "I'm fine with the slightly too tight suit but this?" I pointed to my nose. "Nope." 

L watched me rant, a hand clamped tightly around his mouth. 

"You're laughing at me!" I accused. 

"No I'm not." But despite his protests a small chuckle escaped through his fingers. He walked up to me and flicked my nose. "I think you look, adorable." 

I touched my nose, making sure the FaceTech clay hadn't changed it's shape. I glared at L. "Dude, I worked for an hour to form this nose out of clay." 

"I highly doubt that it's possible for any nose to be that large and hooked."

I frowned, gazing at the honker set slightly crooked at the center of my face. "As long as it masks what I really look like, right?"

L shrugged. "I mean, it would only be better if the Government actually thought that these were our real faces but yea... sure."

"Do you think I look like a natural blonde? The stupid wig already makes it obvious that we're wearing disguises! Which reminds me. What about your disguise? Put it on! You've laughed at me enough, your turn!" I shoved the remaining clay, hair dye, and body suit into his hands and pushed him into the bathroom. He looked at the items in his hands reluctantly and shut the door, a pitiful expression on his face.

 

==========

"Aish, what's taking him so long?" I grumbled, crumpling up an empty chip bag. I walked up to the bathroom door, and rapped on it hard. "Hey!" I shouted. "Are you done?"

"I-I think I should... you know stay here for a while. N-nothing bad. I just... yea."

"Mmm, yea sure. Can I ask you a question?"

"Uh... sure?"

"You're wearing your clothes right?"

"Yea... I changed into my suit, why- HEY!"

I picked the lock on the bathroom door open and barged inside. I did a double take. Hands outstretched I approached L, trying to touch his face. "Is this L?" I asked, trying to contain my laughter.

He grumbled. "Just laugh already. No need to drag it on this long."

I blinked innocently. "Why would I laugh? I'd say you look... beautiful?"

He rolled his eyes, annoyed. "Just laugh already!"

I smirked. "What fun is there in that, your adorable little thing?" I flicked his nose. "Your nose is a masterpiece, gotta say. And did you put on a little eyeliner?"

"I thought it would make me look cooler." he mumbled.

I nodded." Okay. We'll go with that for now." I scanned him head to toe, and moved to pinch his midsection. "Oh!" I exclaimed, surprised. "We'll I guess you don't need to go on a diet. But maybe a little bulking up on muscle is needed."

"Are you done with your analysis yet?"

I nodded, and the laughter finally bubbled out. "Yo, you called my nose huge? Look at yours? How much clay did you use? Three boxes? How is it even staying on your face? And your hair! Omigosh your hair. Can I call you Ariel now?"

 

"I didn't realize the dye would come out so bright."

I ran my fingers through his hair, and compared it to the golden strands of my own wig. "We're not going to be very inconspicuous, not with brightly colored hair like this."

"Well, it could work in our advantage. The guards would expect any intruders to be wearing all black and be as ordinary as possible. They might hesitate after seeing our ostentatious appearance, and that second is all we need to get the upper hand."

I raised an eyebrow. "Was ostentatious what you were originally going for with this get up?"

He sighed. "No. I just hope this will work out okay. No one knows that you took these items?"

I gave him a look. "I'm still here, aren't I? And my skills are too good to be caught."

He nodded, but the look of worry didn't disappear from his eyes.

"What's the matter?" I asked.

"Nothing... it's just... I don't know I have a bad feeling about this. Maybe we shouldn't go."

"No." I said firmly. "We're going today. We have to. You said that today was the best day to try and find my mother, while the government is occupied with updating the Illusion devices!"

"Yea but..." he sighed, and walked out of his room, grabbing a small black device with a red button on the way. "Let's go."

I followed him happily, the prospect of seeing my mother filling me with glee.

==========

 

I peaked around the corner, a black hood covering my bright blonde hair. I turned to L, who had remained behind, crouching in the shadows on the alert for hovercams. "Only one guard in the entrance. I dispatched him, no problem." I whispered into my mike, and I saw him nod slightly, his red hair glinting, revealing his location. "Cover your hair!" I hissed.

"Not so loud!" L complained. "I told you, the mike's super sensitive, don't talk any louder than a whisper."

"Whatever. Just get rid of the security hovercams fast."

"Just a couple more seconds..."

I heard a crackle, and the sound of several soft thumps as the cams fell from the air and most importantly, stopping them from filming what was going on in the high security building.

I turned my head as a hand slipped into mine. L looked down at me and nodded at the now safe corridor. He tugged, and pulled me down a series of hallways. I completely lost my sense of direction after a while, my head spinning as I tried to differentiate between the identical corridors. Right, right, right, right, left, right, straight, right, left... I remembered which way I walked but it seemed to me we were only retracing our steps.

"Do you even know where you're going?" I asked him after perhaps the 50th turn.

"Yea. I have a map. This place is designed to confuse anyone without the map, which lucky for you I stored right in here." he tapped his head, and then stopped in front of a plain door. "Here."

My hands clenched into fists and I wondered what I would see when I walked inside that room. Did she look exactly the same? Would she still smell of jasmine with a hint of vanilla.

With shaking hands, I grasped the door handle, fumbling a bit while twisting...

I pushed the door, and it swung open silently and easily. I couldn't see anything at first, it was completely dark. The room smelled clean, like antiseptic and the air was fresh. I fumbled for the wall, feeling for a light switch, but found none.

"L?" I called softly.

"What? Oh, here." He flipped on a flashlight, and aimed the beam to the center of the room.

Nothing.

There was nothing here. The beam danced across the room, look for something, anything, but it was empty. I edged my way to the center of the room, and inhaled deeply.

"Wait a second..." I murmured to myself. I took another deep breath. The was a hint of jasmine, underlying the antiseptic. It was barely there, and wouldn't have been noticeable if I didn't have such a sensitive nose.

I turned to L, my eyes wide and excited. "She was here! My mother was- urgmf" The rest of my sentence was muffled as he pulled me towards him, smashing my face into his shoulder. But he was too slow. Stars danced in front of my eyes, and I blinked as the sudden bright light lit the room. I clapped my hands over my ears as a loud BANG reverberated throughout the room. L dragged out of the room and slammed the door shut. He shook my shoulders violently.

"Stun grenade." he informed me."Bae, can you see? Do you think you can walk?"

I clutched my head as a series of nails started hammering themselves into my brain. "Ow." I said weakly.

"Oh dear Lord, I knew we shouldn't have come today." He hooked one of my arms around his shoulder, and wrapped an arm around my waist. He ran, and I tried to stumble along, but ended up being half dragged behind him.

 

"Wait," I planted my feet on the floor and gazed upwards, my hood slipping off in the process. There was a shiny black globe sticking out from the ceiling "What's that?"

L looked upwards as well, and froze. He quickly threw his hood up and covered my face with his hand.  "Look away!" he reprimanded me. "That's a camera!"

I smacked his hand away from my face and looked at the black globe again. "No way, it doesn't even have a lens."

L obstructed my view of the so called "camera" once again. "Bae," he hissed. "We don't have time for this." He reached into the pocket of this suit and pulled something out. It was the small black device I had seen him grab earlier from his dorm. He pressed the red button three times, hard. I gave him a questioning look.

"It sends out electromagnetic waves that disables old technology. I grabbed it just in case, but I didn't think the government would use such obsolete measures of security. Those security cameras were used in the 21st century." he explained, making his way quickly around the corridors. He let out a frustrated sigh. "You just had to give that camera a clear view of what you look like."

"How was I supposed to know that black globe was a camera?" I protested. "You disabled it. That's what matters at the moment."

"At least the guards won't know our exact locations for the time being."

 

 

==========

"Grant, you have the guards ready?"

 

"Yes, Captain Junhyung."

 

"Have you relocated Mrs. Bae, and planted a stun grenade in her former room?"

 

"Yes. Junhyung, we just recieved an alert saying that there was a break in."

 

"Good. Place the guards in position. Make sure all exits are blocked."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter