Aged 19 and 20 Part III

Fear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Grant, they plan to sneak into the Gold Building today night. What do you think, should I let them just walk in?"

 

"Why did you tell me this just now? There’s not enough time to clear everything out.”

 

“Are you getting angry at me? If I were you I’d watch my words…”

 

“I’m sorry. But this is dangerous. What if they find the room?”

 

“I’m going to lead them straight towards it.”

 

“What? Are you out of your mind?”

 

“Don’t question me! For now, the most important thing is getting Suzy to trust me.”

 

“If the public finds out about what’s in that room, there’s going to be a rampage.”

 

“They won’t find out.”


 

Turns out, Jun had his own usefulness. His father seemed to place a lot of trust in him considering the vast amount of knowledge he had on the security systems and layout of the Escape. L and I had come together to formulate a complex break in that if we had actually gone through with, it might have lead to us getting caught. Jun told us that the best way to to get in was by simply walking in a couple minutes before the Escape closed and hide in the bathrooms until everything was clear. It was way too simple and way too plain… but completely ingenious. L had grudgingly accepted Jun into the missions after that, though he still insisted on making fun of Jun’s lack of athletic ability.

 

“The security guards don’t typically walk around inside the building, they’re usually concentrated on the perimeter. There might be one or two guards ambling around, but they’re like elephants when walking around, and they’re always whistling too. We should hear them long before they’re on us and be able to hide our tracks and ourselves before we’re discovered.”

 

When Jun had given the brief synopsis of the security and the Escape, L’s eyes had gotten increasingly stormy.

 

“Hey L, what is it that you want to ask? Stop looking like that and just spill.” I nudged him, keeping my words light as to prevent tension.

 

“Well, I was just wondering…” he gave a glance at me with a pointed look, and with a sinking feeling i knew that he would try and bring up yet another reason to not trust Jun.”How does Jun knows all this? Even if his father has a high position in the government, somehow I doubt that he would just decide to share all this information with his 19 year old son.”

 

Jun had an automatic response to that. He rubbed the back of his neck, looking sheepish. “Well, okay, he didn’t necessarily tell me. I kinda went through his desk… found a couple things... “

 

I beamed. “Sneaking around so you could find these things out for us? Jun you’re the best!”

 

L snorted and muttered something that didn’t sound particularly nice.

Jun and I both ignored him. Jun got up and started to walk out the door of L’s apartment.

“Bae, can I tell you something?”

 

Without a hesitation I got up and headed towards him. L got up as well grumbling.

“Well I’ll just leave then.”  He leaned to whisper in my ear as he passed me; “I don’t understand why you’re doing this push and pull thing on me.”

 

I bit my lip as guilt flooded through me. What he said was true. I acted all buddy buddy with him one day, and completely ignore him the next. I thought about that kiss L gave me, and heat spread across my cheeks as I remembered how nice it had felt. Calming, but yet my lips tingled after his lips left mine, the phantom feeling lingering long after it had ended.

 

“Bae!” Jun snapped his fingers in front of my eyes. “Earth to Bae?”

 

“Sorry.” I cleared my thoughts of L and prayed that my blush had faded. “What did you want to talk about?”

 

Jun shrugged. “Nothing. I just wanted to have some alone time with you.”

 

I smiled. “Well then, lead me to where ever it is you want to go.”

 

Jun smiled happily and grabbed my hand. “Lets just walk around, talk a bit before we have to go all ninja in the night.”

 

I nodded amiably, tingles flowing up from where Jun’s skin met mine. I tightened my hold and Jun looked down at me. The look in his eyes startled me. It was an almost worshiping look that had an undercurrent of hunger and possessiveness. Butterflies exploded out from my stomach and I had to look away. I felt Jun’s heavy gaze for a few moments more but then he looked away. I could almost feel the intensity fading away as his mood got lighter and he started to swing his arms, pulling my own along with him.

“Let grumpy L grow up a bit and lets hang out on our own today.”

“Grumpy L?” I asked teasingly. “I think there’s another person who should learn to grow up a little.”

 

We simply chatted that day. Jun didn’t make any moves, and L wasn’t mentioned again. It was just another happy day filled with excitement for the upcoming mission making it seem more pleasant.


 

When I opened the door to the knock, I found both L and Jun waiting for me. They were both dressed in dark nondescript clothes, both bodies tightly wound in anticipation for what was to come.

 

L remained quiet, his eyes alert and focused. He was always like this before missions though usually he tried to conceal his fear. Jun on the other hand was completely relaxed. He was bouncing on his toes and his eyes showed no sign of nervousness.

 

I was more like L. Quiet, calm, yet alert and focused. I’d found that this state o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter