Aged 5 and 6

Fear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I will always be with you." he smiled, placing his hand in mine, squeezing gently. 

I smiled back, and squeezed harder, never wanting to let go. His hands were sticky with ice cream. If there was one thing I couldn't stand, it's sticky hands. But two years had passed since the last time anyone had even touched me, and the comfort in our small, interlocked hands was too much to give up. 

I watched, as the forgotten ice cream cone in L's other hand, started to melt. I giggled. "L oppa, you have green tea ice cream dripping down your arm." 

"Hmm? Oh!" and he preceded to the ice cream off. 

"Gross!" I complained, but smiled. My face was starting to hurt from smiling so much. My heart felt so light, feeling happier than I though I could ever be again. Was this... what a friend made you feel? I turned to L with my sudden question. "Are we friends?" 

He grinned at me angelically, and two deep dimples appeared on either side of his face. "No."

I looked down, feeling the heavy burden on my shoulders once more. Spilling my secrets to L had lightened my burden unbelievably. His willingness to listen, and to take my side, had taken the weight of the sky off my shoulders. But with that single word, I could feel it crashing down upon me. I got up to my feet, but L tugged on my hand. Those two dimples were still in place. 

"We're BFFLs. Best Friends For Life!" His smile disappeared, and a look of thoughtfulness replaced it. "But I don't know much about you... only your name." he pulled me back to the ground. "Lets play a game. It isn't much, but we'll get to know each other. All we have to do is ask each other questions and answer them truthfully." 

I nodded slowly. "Sounds good to me!" I said happily. Having the capricious mindset of a child, the previous pain had already been forgiven and forgotten. L offered me a bite of his ice cream, and I happily took it, unable to deny anything green tea. 

From midday, to sunset, all we did was talk. I learned everything about him, and I gobbled up everything, from the sound of his voice, from his little habits, to every detail on his face. Soon, I knew everything. His secrets, his fears, his loves and desires. And in return, I told him everything about me. I was thrilled to learn that L too, had an IQ of above 160, well above genius. It meant that there was finally someone I could talk too. Part of the reason I remained alone for the past two years was because I lacked the patience to deal with children who were in the process of learning how to read "One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish." Two questions stood out to me that night. One asked by me, the other by him. It was the audacity, but the sweetness that left those moments precious in my mind. The first, was embarrassing to admit, but would later provide a memory to laugh at together. The question? It regarded how L smelled. 

==========

"What made you trust me so fast?" L questioned. 

I blushed. "It sounds a bit ridiculous, but because of how you smell." 

L furrowed his eyebrows. "What do you mean by that." 

I shrugged. "I don't know. You just smell really... clean. Like soap and laundry detergent. It smells nice. I think that you personality often affects how you smell. And also, you scent sort of calmed me. Is that- YA!" I pouted. "Stop rolling on the floor. It really isn't that funny."

L managed to prop himself up on one elbow, though he clutched his side with his o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter