Aged 9 and 10

Fear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I approached L silently, a mischievous glint in my eyes. He was hunched over something, completely absorbed in whatever he was doing. I peaked over his shoulder, ready to scream "BOO!" into his ear when I saw what he was working on. 

"YAH!" I screamed. 

L jumped, and the disassembled parts or a smartphone scattered in the grass. 

I glared down at him. "Do you know how hard it was to get my hands on that obsolete piece of technology? I nearly got caught trying to get that. My rebel days nearly ended because of that thing!" 

He looked up at me, guilty. "Sorry. I just wanted to try and play around with it's parts, see what I could make out of them." his eyes lit up. "But this thing is so cool! It doesn't use nuclear energy to power it. It uses a lithium battery. Unfortunately it didn't work anymore so I could turn it on. Anyways it's filled with all kinds of old technology. Very unpractical but still cool." 

I gave him a look. "You know that I don't really care about you and your tech. It just about bores me to death."

L looked insulted, but said nothing more on the subject, wanting to avoid a temper tantrum. He changed the subject. "I was curious, but how did you get the smartphone? I was half joking when I said I wanted it." 

I grinned, welcoming a chance to brag about my feat. "It was way easier than I thought it would be. I literally walked in, and then walked out of the physical museum. Nobody suspected me, because I'm just an innocent little girl who knows nothing about this world." I scoffed. "I bet that the two of us are smarter than all of the adults combined." 

L laughed, and ruffed my hair. "Your going to be a criminal mastermind when you grow up." 

"A good criminal." I said, redeeming myself. "A criminal who fights against a corrupt government." 

L started collecting the smartphone pieces that he dropped. He stuffed them into his backpack and looked at me. "I have this idea for a project. I'm going to built a radio." 

"A radio?" I asked. Suddenly, the words that said the other night, when he had asked for the phone came flooding back to me with crystal clarity. 

 

~~~

"Bae, have you ever heard of a radio?" 

I scrunched my eyebrows, shuffling through my memory to see if I could recall the word." "Nope." I replied, coming up with a blank.

"Well I was messing around again with the government's databases yesterday, But this time I managed to get in for a couple seconds." 

I squeezed tightly on L's hand in excitement. "And?" 

"Well I found out the high government officials communicate using these radios. Radio's are basically transmitters that use certain waves to send information. They also receive these waves and translate them into sounds and messages."  

I frowned, and L looked confused at my disappointment. "Why aren't you excited? We can get confidential information by listening in on their conversations!" 

"And how in the world are we going to get a radio in our hands?" 

"Oh." L paused, thinking. "That might be a problem."

"Yea. A pretty BIG one."

"We can figure that out later." He looked at me with a sudden pout on his face.

 


"What do you want..." I said warily. 

"Well there's this really cool thing that I heard about yesterday. It's called a smartphone. I found out that there's a couple ones in storage at the Physical Museum." 

"And you want it." 

He nodded, his face in full on begging mode. 

I sighed. "Fine. Stop making that face. It's irritating me." 

A smile lit up his face. "You know I love you Bae!" he made a heart with his hands.


"Yea, yea." I mumbled. "You sooo owe me after this. That museum's going to have a ton of security." 

"I know you love a challenge." 

"Pfffft. Hush." 

 

~~~

"Wait so you think you can make a radio out of that phone?" 

L shrugged. "I'm not sure yet but I think it's possible. Give me some time. Come to my room at midnight, when everyone is asleep. I should have the project done by then, if it's possible."

"KYAAA!" I screamed and hugged L tightly. He blushed, taken aback. I looked at him, and shook his shoulders. "If we can listen in on their corrupt little conversations, we can take them down! Get revenge for my mom!" I hugged him again. 

He pried me away from his body, cheeks bright red. "Uh yea. I'm just going to go..." He stumbled backwards. "and work on the radio now." He turned and ran back to the dorms.

"Bye!" I called out, waving brightly. 

Waiting for midnight was torture. I stayed in my room, trying to find ways to amuse myself. I even logged into class to try and learn something. But I couldn't stay focused. My mind kept on wandering to the radio, and the things I might hear. Would I be able the learn the answers to the questions that have been spinning in my head since the age of three, when my mother was taken away from me? 


Is she still alive?

Is she healthy and well?

What has she been doing all this time?

Why did they take her away?

If L's radio answered any one of these questions, he was going to be stuck with me for life. Cause there was no way I was ever going to learn my BFFL alone. 

My ClearGlass tablet rang, playing my favorite song, Back by Infinite. I got up from my bed, groaning as my back cracked. I turned the alarm off and padded down the hallway, not even bother with my InvisibilityCloak suit. The government thought that nobody would be up at that time; they had yet to learn of a rebel in Little Ville. L and I were probably the first in their history to become rebellious at this age. We used this fact for our advantage, and it sure made it a lot easier to sneak around. I barged into L's room, and gig

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter