Aged 19 and 20 Part II

Fear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: TT.TT I'm a terrible person... I didn't keep my promise to update last weekend... and I still haven't been able to finish the chapter. I'm just going to post what I have so far, and then when I finish writing the rest, I just add it on to this chapter. Sorry!!!!! (And sorry again for such a y update.) 

 

his time I was already wide and awake, sitting on the edge of my bed with the blankets wrapped around my legs  when the series of quiet thuds of L’s knuckles on the wooden door arrived. I lept up for the door, but in my haste I didn’t untangle myself from the blankets and ended up thudding to the floor.

“Oooo,” I hissed, rubbing my bruised elbows. Annoyed, I kicked off the blanket leaving it as a heap on the floor I managed to make it to the door without any other incidents.

The door swung open to L’s concerned face.

“I heard some strange sounds… are you okay?”

I unconsciously rubbed the sore spot on my elbow. "Uh yea. I'm fine."

L looked at me for a moment, but then shrugged and stepped into my room. He looked around, studying the photos I had plastered up and little mementos I'd collected during my lifetime.

 

"I never really got a good look around your place before. Last time was my first time in your apartment and I was kinda distracted so I never really got the chance to look around."

I looked at him curiously. "What was so distracting?"

"You." He stared at me, not a glint of embarrassment or shame in his eyes.

I had more a response. I looked away, the heat staining my cheeks red. I coughed awkwardly and moved to my bed where I had the pieces to the Naruto stimulation set up and ready. I grabbed a headset and gave to to L, not meeting his eyes. L chuckled, grasping my chin with those calloused fingers that still managed to be gentle on my face. He pulled my face towards him so I had no choice but to meet his steady gaze.

"Don't be so shy. I plan to be more open from now on." He smiled, removing his fingers from my face to brush them gently against the infinity heart pendant around my neck.

Wanting to move on quickly, I laughed loudly, wincing internally at how fake and harsh it sounded to my ears. I strapped the headgear around L's face myself, and then strapped on my own gear. I closed my eyes for a couple of seconds, waiting for the virtualistic world and Naruto to form.

 

"It's been awhile since you've last come. You're probably out of shape."

I cracked my eyes open to see that bright yellow hair that I'd come to find endearing. "Naruto!" greeted with a smile. It might have been silly to feel so happy at being reunited with a computer simulation, but I couldn't prevent that ridiculous grin from appearing on my face. I moved to ruffle his hair. As this was just a simulation, his hair felt strange and rather straw-like.

 

L was watching with a rather cross expression on his face."

"Since when are you so "buddy buddy" with Naruto? I thought you hated his hair!"

I rolled my eyes. "Oh get over your jealousy. C'mon, pick up a foil. You already know the basics right? Let's have a bout!" I turned to Naruto. "You can keep score."

I held the foil lightly in my hand, giving it an experimental flick. I smiled, the familiar grip of the sword comfortable in my hand. I looked at L who was grasping his own sword with unease.

"En garde! Fencers ready, fence!"

I advanced slowly, all the moves rushing back into my head. I knew exactly what to do, and I knew for sure that I'd cream L. This would be fun.

Like a cobra, I struck out, not even bothering with evasive techniques. Just extending the arm and lunging, and soon I had my first point. All in a matter of 5 seconds.

 

The rest of the game went similarly to this, and the bout was soon over with me having the full number of points and L with a big goose egg. In other words, 0 points.

I grinned at him, not even out of breath. I stuck a hand out to shake his. "Good game." I said.

 

He panted and glared at me, though it was half-hearted. He shook his head and wiped the sweat off his forehead. "Wha... when did you get so... so good at this?"

 

"In the year you were gone. I thought I might give myself an upgrade."

 

L shook his head. "I should have worked out more. I should have taken the Naruto stimulation"

 

I stuck out my tongue. "."  

 

After another hour, L had had enough so we quickly got out of the stimulation. Happy and sweaty, we chatted a bit before L left to go take a shower. I quickly washed up as well and quickly made myself presentable before Jun arrived at my dorm. As usual, the doorbell rang at 8 A.M., and I quickly hopped up to open the door and step outside. We walked to the park together, and Jun was lightly grasping my hand. I barely noticed, distracted because I was looking for L. Jun seemed to notice my distance and the reason for it. His face darkened, and again I felt those flutters as unreadable expression slid ove

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter