Canon in D Major

A Little Prelude in Kyuhyun Major

“Hmm…you got a haircut, didn’t you?”
 

“What?”
 

“But your dye job turned out ty.”
 

“Kyuhyun, I...where is this going?”
 

“So, you took out your frustration on me. You made me learn this.”
 

“Wow…”
 

“I mean, look at this, look at all this I can’t see.”
 

“Kyuhyun…”
 

“Look at all this bull for me.”


“Kyuhyun, just play the damn song.”
 

“Ugh, fine.”

 

Kyuhyun was graduating in a short month. A month. And in true popular culture fashion, Yesung made him learn the graduation song, Pachelbel’s only, but wildly famous song. He had composed more, but between the hundreds of chamber music pieces, and dozens of toccatinas, the canon was the only one that stood out amongst his repertoire. So Yesung made it his mission to make Kyuhyun play it.
 

“So let me this straight, this is ten pages long, there are two octave stretch chords, and intense finger gymnastics, and you want me to play this.”
 

“Yep.”
 

“Well, your ing funeral.”


Kyuhyun had been in a perpetual bad mood… well not exactly a bad mood, just kind of impatiently stressed out. But in his defense, he would his college entrance exam in a short two days. Life as a teenager was stressful.
 

“Do you have the chord progression memorized?”
 

“I kinda have to, don’t I?”
 

Yesung sighed. There were some days where Kyuhyun’s sass was intense, And then there days like today, where the sass was off the charts. “You do, but have you?”
 

“Of course I have, but this is something I didn’t really need. You don’t have a blind guy running a marathon between two exams. This is not nice, Yesung.”
 

“I… I’m sorry, I didn’t realise…”
 

“Eeh, it’s fine, or whatever. It’s done it’s done, I’ve learnt it. Kind of. You see those chords on the last page, man! You’re giving me a run for my money.”
 

Yesung really felt bad. He supposed he had been a little harsh, he was just stressed himself, he had finals and a big recital he had spent the whole semester preparing for. It had gone a bit wrong; the building next to the concert hall was going through serious renovations and it had just thrown off his concentration. He had messed up, and he just...took it out on Kyuhyun he supposed. It wasn’t fair to Kyuhyun and it wasn’t his fault. And Kyuhyun had this way of making him feel bad, looking at him with those puppy eyes.
 

“Alright, I can find a new easier version for you to play.”
 

Kyuhyun snorted, “Yesung, what did your father tell you about me? I’m blind, I love Mozart, and I’m as stubborn as a mule. I’m going to learn it and play, and I’m going to play it nicely at the graduation ceremony and everyone is going to be amazed because I am amazing. Got it?”
 

“Aren’t you overcompensating a little bit?”
 

“Believe me, I’m not. I’ve got a supple everything where it needs to impress.. Except an eyesight, but that can be overlooked, right?”
 

Well, he sure as hell didn’t feel bad anymore.
 

“Alright well let’s take it from the start. But don’t put the pedal, I want to hear all the notes.”
 

Kyuhyun sighed deeply and started. The chord progression followed a seven bars pattern before restarting for another dozen bars. As long as he could remember the chord progression he could get away with the mistakes.
 

He started playing, going through the first seven chord progressions then on with the next nine, then onto the last line of the page with a series of quarter note chords. Those weren’t problematic in the least bit for him, he had played them over and over and over, he remembered them. The next page picked up that pace, but it was nothing compared to the happy fun times of the eighth note chords on the third and fourth and fifth and sixth pages. The problem with that was mainly his left hand. It was easy, but having to concentrate most of his efforts on playing those stupidly complicated chords with his right hand, he just...forgot to play them. Of course, with the pedal, this could easily be overlooked, but without it, with just the sound of the notes he was playing, Yesung was bound to notice them and call his out on it.
 

He heard a small chuckle, and then, “Imma let you finish, but-”
 

That wasn’t even remotely funny, he was seriously struggling and Yesung was making outdated jokes. Kyuhyun couldn’t think of a worse way to spend his afternoon. Actually he could, Zhou Mi had been itching to ask him to the prom, Kyuhyun knew it and he had been avoiding him all afternoon. It’s not that he didn’t like Zhou Mi, he just...had his eyes set on someone else. That certain someone was memeing out beside him.
 

What a nerd.
 

He stopped playing. He put on his best unimpressed face, and proceeded to turn to Yesung, “you got something to say?”
 

“No no, do go on. Don’t mind me.”
 

“A little hard not to. So, any sweet tips on how to get this goddamn part right?”
 

Yesung gave him a little shove, “move over,” he said, before he settled beside him. “So. Having trouble, are we.”
 

Kyuhyun shrugged, “you tell me, you’re the one who cracked a Kanye West reference. I didn’t think you were interested in the American rap music scene.”
 

“It was funny. And iconic..”
 

“Was definitely not. Distasteful, I’d venture.”
 

“Whatever, I play the left hand, you play the right” he said, “On four.”
 

It certainly worked a lot better, not having to with the stupid left hand chords. It was feasible, and Yesung’s shoulders brushing against his from time to time was a bonus. They finished that section, and Yesung pat his shoulder, “you did pretty well, now let’s switch.”
 

Was Yesung teasing him, because that was not the typical behaviour of his teacher. Had Heechul told him weird stuff again? That man had a gift to put everyone in the weirdest mood, all the while making them uncomfortable.
 

“Are you ready? One, two, three, four.”
 

Fine, Yesung wasn’t going to aknowledge his weirdness, so Kyuhyun would look it over but it wouldn’t be easy. Yesung being weird was normal, a permanent state one might say, but Yesung was currently being normal which was weird in its own way. He was making pop culture references, smiling (probably, Kyuhyun’s Yesung Smile-Radar was 90% accurate), and he was just cheerful. Not at all out of patience, not sighing like he always did, not responding to his ual quips, and actually making some jokes himself. What was going on?
 

Kyuhyun put aside those thoughts for a minute and played through the song, no matter the difficulty, with professionalism and utmost concentration. The song ended and he immediately dropped the bomb. “Okay, so really, what is going on and what are you doing? Do I have something on my face and I’m totally oblivious to it and it has put you in such a good mood to make you have a total one eighty in terms of everything you stand for when you teach? I swear to God you this afternoon is more of an emotional rollercoaster than the first time I intentionally jacked off, fumbled too much with my fly and got interrupted. Who are you?”
 

Yesung laughed in his face. Probably. Kyuhyun couldn’t exactly tell from which direction the laughter was coming since it was so bombastic and spontaneous. And genuine. Was his comment that funny. He had gone a bit strong with the perhaps, which would have made Yesung sigh, under normal circumstances, but this...this was something new.
 

“You got a girlfriend?”
 

“What?”
 

“You knocked her up. You’re having a baby. Yeah, that ought to put you in this strange happy but borderline hysterical mood.”
 

“What, no. Kyuhyun, what are you on about. I thought you reserved those questions as ice breakers for the beginning of the lesson when you’re not entirely sure if I’m in the room, sitting beside you and done typing my notes for you, and you want to make sure I’m there both physically and mentally for when you drop those graphic metaphors.”
 

Kyuhyun shook his head. No, that wasn’t normal, that wasn’t normal at all. He had no clue what expression Yesung was wearing. Was he smiling, smirking, frowning, those were the main ones, and his Yesung Facial Expression Radar was 75% accurate, having no visual and now no control and no clue of what was going on was starting to make him feel uneasy. He didn’t want that to show, but he also wanted this riddle to be over, for him to regain some for of reference on the state his very strange piano teacher was experiencing. “Okay then,” he said a bit more seriously, “what’s going on? You’re kind of freaking me out and I have no idea what is going on. Are you pissed at me? Sure I went heavy on the anecdote but that wasn’t the worst one. Are you happy? No, no, I didn’t play the song that well, I ed up the chords, you’ve noticed, I know that. Are you-”
 

“Hey,” Yesung’s hands went and rested on his shoulders. “Calm down, everything is fine. I’m…” he paused for a minute, and Kyuhyun waited. On rare occasions, Yesung had to give him more context cues. Life could be very confusing for him as a blind person, and their relationship worked in a way that in case of confusion, Yesung jumped in and gave explanations, references for Kyuhyun to stop wondering about...well everything he couldn’t see. “I’m happy, I suppose. I think. I’m excited, I guess would be the better descriptive, excited but a little apprehensive. I just can’t believe you’re graduating. You! It’s incredible, and you’ll be at university, and it all seems so exciting but a little scary. I didn’t realise, until now, that you’re all grown up. I’ve known you for a while and I guess I didn’t see the transformation from the between the shy little kid playing a very basic Ode to Joy and you now, playing this, pretty well, might I add. You’re you and you’re all grown up... So yeah, I’m in a weird mood, and I’d love for you to understand it, but the truth is I don’t really understand it myself.”
 

Kyuhyun nodded. It was becoming clearer. Yesung was a beaming parent, or the piano teacher equivalent of that. But that didn’t make sense…
 

“You know I’ve been eighteen for like months, right?”
 

“What?”
 

“Huh, don’t you remember in February, I had cake stains on my shirt and you laughed at me for it. And then the next week I told you I was going on vacation during my week off as a birthday gift because my parents ran out of ideas and what can you truly buy a blind teenage boy if he can’t appreciate video games?”
 

“What? No, no, February was a hazy month, I had midterms. Wait, you’re eighteen?! Really?” He questionned, then immediately transitionned to, “God, that’s a relief.”
 

“Of course I’m eighteen, what did you...wait what do you mean that’s a relief?”
 

What he meant was that he had some occasional thought about Kyuhyun sometimes in contexts that sometimes involved inappropriately using a piano and things happening, and it would have been so not okay if his student was a underaged. Not that Yesung would ever say that out loud. He had to find an excuse fast. Bars? Yeah, the bars, that was his exit door. “Well, you know, when you lie to your parents about going out in bars, at least you’re an adult so when other adults are hitting on you, it is technically legal and much less creepy.”
 

Kyuhyun nodded, not entirely sold on the story but not entirely willing to pursue this conversation. Bringing up him going out and lying to his parents in his family home where his mom could walk in any second could lead to a big reveal that he would like to avoid as much as possible. “Sure, I believe you,” he said, but he couldn’t let it go altogether. Heechul had told him things, things that he knew himself but was a bit hesitant to admit. It’s not like he had been transparent in admitting he was attracted to men, or even Yesung himself, but it seemed like his piano teacher was as blind as mice to that kind of attraction. It was all and all quite ironic. “I believe you, but I also know you check out my everytime I leave the room, so I’ll just brush off this comment along with all the stares. You know, our little secret,” he said with a smirk.
 

This was apparently so shocking to Yesung, Kyuhyun heard a choked gasp and then silence. Maybe he had gone too far? How was Yesung reacting...that silence was not good, definitely not good. Kyuhyun immediately decided he would play it off with his typical over confident card that seemed to fix everything always, “I can’t blame you, I have been told I am quite a looker, ironically enough. It’s okay, my body was made to be looked at, for all the looking I can’t do. Enjoy it, most of the population does.”
 

It brought Yesung out of his shock induced silence and back to his teaching role with a sigh, “you’re the worst, like, actually the worst ever. Play the damn song again you egotistical .”
 

Good, that was a good reaction. That was a typical and understandable reaction, Kyuhyun was back in comfortable grounds, he just had to keep it up and keep Yesung in the right track. It wasn’t exactly manipulation, but it was the effective way to make sure Kyuhyun got the most out of their interactions. An outraged Yesung was an easy Yesung to understand. Silence was his enemy, silence meant something was happening that the couldn’t see and he hated that.
 

He put aside those thoughts again, and began playing. The song went much smoother, now that he had worked out the kinks with Yesung’s help. Despite it all, Yesung was very good at his job and picked up on Kyuhyun’s learning style with ease.
 

The section ended and Yesung stopped him. “Good, that was good, you don’t need to practice this part anymore. Focus on the last pages, you’ll need to practice them the most. Other than that it sounds great. Remember the dynamics and get the last pages for next week. It’ll be our last lesson before the summer break. Actually, our last lesson ever, since you’re going to move out, right? God, I feel so nostalgic all of the sudden.”
 

Yes. That. Moving out, university, stopping the lessons, those feelings of nostalgia. He assumed Yesung still didn’t know he had been accepted to the same university he was attending. He would be stopping the lessons, but he wouldn’t entirely give up on seeing Yesung. He felt it was important to tell him now, but it took quite a lot of courage and Kyuhyun didn’t know he could muster it.
 

Again, Yesung was silent; no shuffling of the books, no putting papers away, not even scribbling. “Actually, I got my letter today. I was accepted to Seoul U in music. Zhou Mi read me the letter today.”
 

“Wuuuh...uuh,” Yesung said, a little out of breath, “what? Congrats! This is such great news, I’m so glad! Wow!” Kyuhyun was suddenly pulled into Yesung’s very warm embrace. It surprised him very much. “I’m...I’m speechless, haha, I’m not making any sense. Why aren’t you happier?”
 

He had done his own speechless song and dance when Zhou Mi had read him the acceptance letter and immediately hit his shin off the desk. “I’m very excited.”
 

Yesung let him go and waved his arms around a little, “this is amazing Kyuhyun, Seoul U is the place for music, you’ll see it’s great.”
 

“I’ll be stopping the lessons,” he said soberly.
 

“Oh. Right, that’s right. Well, it’s been a very interesting journey learning with you and it was so nice to have met y-”
 

“You idiot, I’m not going to stop seeing you. There won’t be the piano excuse, but I’m definitely going to bother you a whole lot all the time, stop being stupid.”
 

The was a beat of silence, that was never good. “What do you mean?” Yesung asked.
 

“Oh my god,” Kyuhyun said, slightly embarrassed he had to spell it out. He simply shoved an envelope with some tickets for his upcoming show. “You’re so thick. We’re friends, friends see each other, so go to my show, buy me a drink and chat me up for an evening. Stop being my damn teacher and be my friend for God’s sake.”
 

Again with the stunned silence. Kyuhyun was definitely not okay with the amount of silent staring Yesung had been doing today. The worst part was, for this kind of silence, Kyuhyun knew exactly what Yesung was doing. The silence grew longer and Yesung finally spoke up, “Aren’t you going to say-”
 

“Nope.”
 

“But...I’m smiling stupidly,” Yesung announced.
 

“I know.
 

“And you’re not going to…”
 

“Yesung, at this point I know there’s nothing I can do about it.”
 

“Good.”


A/N

Okay so at this point I've used up all the excuses in the book to justify not updating for six months so I'm just going to say I wasn't motivated. I was trying to write stuff for this and other stories but nothing really turned out into actual plot, just snippets with witty one liners but no backbone so yepyepyepyep... Anyway, six months late, no Kyusung day fic, and no plans for the next chapter, that was the eighth chapter. I'm thinking of wrapping things up, hopefully in the next three chapters which will hopefully not take a freaking year to write. Please ignore the inconsistencies, the plot holes, the possible style differences, I haven't touched this in six months.

Anyway, I hope this is enjoyable, and I hope this will put me in a more write-y mood. Let me know what you think, comment, subscribe, send me a carrier pigeon to tell me six months is unacceptable, any one of those option is viable for me.