Lieder Ohne Wörter

A Little Prelude in Kyuhyun Major

“Well this is new?”

 

“What?”

 

“You’re at the piano and you’re not wearing pants.”

 

“That’s not new. I do it all the time.”

 

“So you do admit that that one time you weren’t wearing pants.”

 

“No… I was-”

 

“Do you have Tuesdays too?”

 

“What? N-no!”

 

“You don’t have to impress me anymore.”

 

“Fine. I don’t always wear pants!”

 

“What about Tuesdays?”


 

Kyuhyun woke up in Yesung’s bed for the third time that week. It was amazing. It had been two weeks of amazing and cuddles. He had to sleep at home some time to avoid raising suspicion although even that was…

 

“Heechul questionned me yesterday.”

 

“Yeah?” Yesung looked up from Kyuhyun’s chest where he was comfortably nestled. “What did he say?”

 

“He said something fishy was going on with us and he would find out one way or another,” Kyuhyun then shrugged, “I’m honestly surprised he hasn’t figured it out yet. It’s been two weeks.”

 

“We’ve always been kind of married, Kyu.”

 

“True, but I always thought, you know, he was psychic or something. He’s doing a minor in psych right?”

 

Yesung sat up. It was eight, it was time to get ready for class. “Heechul is super perceptive. That’s his way of doing things. You’re like that too sometimes, you know stuff just because. Heechul watches people because he’s a little bit paranoid and fascinated by human nature.” Yesung pressed a kiss to Kyuhyun’s temple. “We have classes in an hour.”

 

“Skip class for me?”

 

“No Kyu. We’re not skipping class. If we play hooky together Heechul will most definitely know. Come on,” he bent over to kiss to Kyuhyun’s lips.

 

Kyuhyun grumbled but slipped out of bed. Yesung handed him his backpack where he had brought clothes for the next day’s class. He didn’t want to a walk of shame, and even less to wear his dirty, crumpled clothes from the previous day. Yesung took a minute to admire Kyuhyun’s form, trying to sneak a look before he noticed. He could rant on and on about Heechul being psychic, but truly, he was the one with the freakish sixth sense. Thirty seconds. It took him thirty seconds to notice, and turned around to wink at Yesung.

 

Yesung walked Kyuhyun to class, greeted Ryeowook and left to go to his own class. The secrecy was exciting, but it was more exciting to be in a relationship. It had been a while for him, since he had been in a relationship beyond a one night stand. This was good. Things were good.

 

“You know, this is like our honeymoon phase, you know, we’re in a bubble. Nobody knows, but us so we are free to do whatever,” Yesung said, stealing a kiss from Kyuhyun as he sat beside him at the piano. “I’m playing Mendelssohn’s Lieder Ohne Wörter?”

 

“Nice choice.”

 

Yesung hummed in response and played the first few mesures. It was a learning process, and he had just been assigned the piece, so he messed up quite quickly, much to Kyuhyun’s amusement. Not that the bastard could do better. He always practiced alone until he was good enough and he had the song memorized. Zhou Mi said it was a creepy sight when he practiced. He never the light and he just stared into space listening to his recordings until he recognized the chord patterns. For Yesung, it was a bit more complicated, or rather, less complicated. He just needed to struggle with the sheet music and have his boyfriend laugh at him.

 

“I have sleep in my bed tonight,” Kyuhyun announced, regretfully. “Zhou Mi inquired why I was spending so much time over. I told I was practicing stuff, and he believed me.”

 

It was going well, and things were nice and Yesung just wanted to live in that instant and that instant only. He leaned over and bumped shoulders with Kyuhyun.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“I’m happy, that’s all.”

 

“Gross,” Kyuhyun replied, crinkling his nose cutely. “You’re so gross why do I like you?”

 

“You like me?”

 

“I like like you,” he replied.

 

Yesung smirked and bumped his shoulder again. “I like like you too.”

 

When Yesung walked him home that night, he sneaked a kiss in front of his door. He heard Kyuhyun’s old lady neighbour racling . “I better go,” Kyuhyun whispered. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

Kyuhyun walked in his apartment and heard Zhou Mi shuffle on the couch. “Hey...I thought you were sleeping over at Yesung’s?” Then he heard another body move on the couch. “I wasn’t expecting you this early.”

 

“Hi Zhou Mi, hi Victoria,” Kyuhyun said. “I’ve got some things to read, I’ll head to my room.”

 

Zhou Mi made a few noises of protest but in the end Victoria shushed him and greeted him smugly and commented on his truly remarkable hearing. He went back to his room and shut the door behind him. He let out a long sigh. Of course his time with Yesung was wonderful but...but things were so secretive and he wasn’t sure he liked it. Since most of his life was spent in the dark, he supposed he didn’t want his love life to be also in a way kept in the dark. He had agreed or rather suggested that they kept it a secret, but keeping this a secret from his friends, and sneaking around constantly… He didn’t want to do that. Sure his parents could be kept out of the loop, but that didn’t mean that he was to be hidden away like some shameful thing. He already knew all of their friends were for it. He and Yesung were basically already married and it was fine to anyone. Sure he’d get teased by Heechul, but that was the price to pay.

 

His fingers skimmed over this music history textbook. After the fifth time reading the same page, he decided he was too distracted and called up Ryeowook.

 

“Kyu, what can I do you for?”

 

“You won’t do me for one,” Kyuhyun snarked back, “and I need some...advice.”

 

“Yeah? That’s all?” He could hear Ryeowook was in a bustling place, some kind of restaurant. Ryeowook was a social person, but his blunt nature made it difficult for him to fulfill his social needs. He was a nice person but he was awkward as . Kyuhyun didn’t care about that, he appreciated Ryeowook’s bluntness and he also appreciated his study notes.

 

“I also need help with the reading for this week’s music history class,” Kyuhyun replied quickly. It was a tricky affair to ask Ryeowook for help in class, because he rarely paid any attention to the profs and simply tried to get it on with their apparently cute deskmate.

 

“You know I don’t pay attention in class.”

 

Kyuhyun chuckled, “you could read the textbook?”

 

“I’m not about reading and textbooks, I just attend that class because you’re frankly hilarious and there’s that cute girl two seats down and I am dying to get with her,” Ryeowook snickered, but whn he was met with silence, he sighed, “I’ll read the chapters and get back to you about that. So what was the other thing about?”

 

“Hypothetically, if I were to be dating someone-”

 

“Are you? Is it Yesung?”

 

Hypothetically, Ryeowook, hypothetically,” Kyuhyun repeated. He heard Ryeowook snort through the phone, but continued. “If I were to be dating, but telling people was risky and we had agreed to keep it secret, but I wanted to… be out and public about it, at least with my friends…”

 

“This is oddly specific. I dunno Kyu, I’d… well it  depends for what reason exactly you’re being so secretive. If you think it is an absolute must to be secretive about your relationship, then do so, but being in a relationship is a most wonderful thing and you shouldn’t have to hide it.”

 

“But what if my parents were...to know and wouldn’t be too happy with my choice of...partner? What if, say, it were a guy instead of girl?”

 

Kyuhyun heard Ryeowook snort again. “You realise the entire planet knows that you and Yesung have totally a secret thing going on, right?”

 

Hypothetically,” he emphasized.

 

“Alright, well, tell us, and don’t tell your parents. You don’t live with them, they don’t need to know just yet. You can figure out what to do about that at a later time. Enjoy your time with him, and so what if you parents don’t know right away that you’re totally hypothetically dating Yesung. Enjoy it, really. He’s a fine specimen, believe me.”

 

Kyuhyun remained silent for a long time. Maybe Ryeowook was right and things weren’t that big of a deal. Maybe the whole planet knew about them and nobody really cared. The only ish was with his parents...well maybe their parents. Who knows maybe even they wouldn’t care. Or they would really care and be totally opposed to their son being possibly in a relationship together after having been in a student teacher relationship. Oh no. Why had he let himself get talked into dating Yesung.

 

Well, he loved him. Frankly, he was happy. Sure it had been short time and in terms of foresight, it wasn’t exactly telling of anything,  but these past few months at university being Yesung’s close friend and occasionally copping a feel had been more than great. He wanted to be in a relationship with Yesung. He liked being a relationship with Yesung. Those were simple thoughts, those he could understand. But things got more complicated when other variables got involved.

 

Their friend group was open to that kind of idea, hell, Heechul and Hangeng had been dating since forever, and Donghae and Eunhyuk were… Well it wasn’t exactly clear, but they were an item of sorts. Coming out as an item wasn’t a problem. They probably had a betting pool going, and Kyuhyun would definitely make it sure that he would have his share of the earnings. But that was another story. Their friends wouldn’t be against it, that he was certain of.

 

But it was always the problem with their parents. He didn’t even know if Yesung was out to his parents, he didn’t know if his parents were aware of his… preferences. To him, it had always been obvious he didn’t exactly like women, but to his somewhat oblivious parents? Maybe not so much. Or maybe. He didn’t know, his parents were difficult to read and always frustrated him. He supposed it was a normal reaction for them, to have a son with so much prospect lose everything with his eyesight. Kyuhyun was to be a doctor, or a brilliant mathematician, or a great scientist. Instead he was blind and he played the piano. A true waste of talent. Or at least that’s what he thought they thought. He didn’t dislike his parents, he just felt he was disappointing them somehow. And surely, his attraction for the male form would definitely not help with that.

 

Maybe Yesung had been right all along, and secrecy was simply better. Maybe not. Maybe he shouldn’t even be dating Yesung. All this was making his head hurt, and his attempt at concentrating on his text useless. He felt the bumps at his fingertips but he was too agitated to piece together the meaning. He exited his bedroom and sat on the couch.

 

“Sorry to , Zhou Mi, Victoria, can I watch the movie with you?”

 

He heard Victoria laugh and shuffle on the couch, “sure thing,” she said. “Gave up on studying?”

 

“Hm, more or less.”

 

“Is there a problem Kyu?” Zhou Mi asked. He always knew when Kyuhyun was upset. Kyuhyun frowned and made a small noise, he was upset, or rather, conflicted.

 

“Kyuhyun, I can go if you need to talk to Zhou Mi.”

 

Both Kyuhyun and Zhou Mi stopped her with loud protests. She laughed and settled into the couch and pat them both on the leg. “What is it then that you need my female expertise to discuss? Girl trouble? Boy trouble? Need a mediator for some not so friendly rommates issues?”

 

“I don’t know, Kyuhyun, what is there you want to talk to me about?”

 

“I… I don’t know, I’m feeling all these things and I don’t know how to go about dealing with them?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I’m dealing with some stuff, you know? I don’t necessarily want to tell you in explicit detail, but I feel you have good advice. And you too, Victoria. Your female wisdom is wonderous.”

 

“You can’t five me more details? I mean, this is incredibly vague. Are you going through another slump? You have the end of semester blues? Is that Yesung calls it?”

 

“In sorts.”

 

“You know what, Kyuhyun,” Victoria told him with a great deal of confidence, “some stuff you just have to mull over until you figure out how to tell people. If you’re not comfortable sharing all the details, it’s okay, we understand, but also understand that we are two, unbiased sets of ears ready to listen. And if you feel the need to talk to us, we can pause the movei anytime.”

 

Kyuhyun nodded and pressed play on the movie. “What are we even watching?”

 

“An old Chinese movie from our childhood, you wouldn’t know it. We can put something else if you want.”

 

He said it was fine, and they became silent. Occasionally laughing at some jokes that Kyuhyun didn’t understand. He understood Mandarin, but at this speed and of an older variety, it was impossible for him to truly comprehend. But it took his mind off of things, or rather, it gave him some clarity. He went full circle to the begnning of his reasoning.

 

He loved Yesung and he was happy with Yesung. That was the departure point of his pseudo mental flow-chart to come to some kind of decision. Being happy with Yesung was the end goal. Was being public with his relationship necessarily to his happiness? Well, no, not exactly, but with his friends would be supportive and bring them more happiness. But the opposite of that was the issue with their parents. That could most likely be a great source of conflict bith for the relationship and for the fact that Kyuhyun wasn’t out. With the holiday season approaching, it would be hard to hide but not entirely impossible.

 

“Kyu? Have you been paying any attention to the movie?”

 

“No,” he said slowly. “I need to talk to Yesung.”

 

“Okay?” Victoria replied, “well that’s okay, I’m sure Yesung can provide move answers than we can.” Zhou Mi told her something in Mandarin which caused her to laugh. “Good for you then. Wear protection!”

 

“No, I don’t think you understand what is going on, but thanks.”

 

They both giggled. “Sure thing Kyuhyun.” Then Zhou Mi put a heavy hand on his shoulder, “look, try to hide it all you want, you speak in your sleep.”

 

“I what?”

 

“I heard all about you and Yesung, believe me. Too much, in fact.”

 

Kyuhyun pursed his lips, cleared his throat, rubbed his hands together, trying to find a way to deny or explain it. Well that certainly complicated things in his flow chart. The possibility he spilled the beans for anyone and everyone in whose presence he had napped. “I’m going to go call Yesung,” he replied in a strained voice. He ran to his room and fumbled with his phone. As soon as he heard a sleepy hello coming from the other hand he burst out.

 

“I talk in my sleep?!”

 

“Yeah you didn’t know? What, you’re afraid you blabbed out your deepest, darkest secret to me?”

 

“Not to you.”

 

It took a second for things to connect in Yesung’s sleep ridden mind, but when they did he burst out a loud that made Kyuhyun wince.


“So about keeping this a secret…”

 


A/N

So you guys were all worried about the about to go down, so I decided to make a happy chapter and also it's an update before Christmas! Yay! Buckle in for the next chapter that will happen I don't know when. I also apologize for any mistakes and typos, I think I've caught them all but who knows. Anyway, let me know what you think and enjoy this chapter!