Rondo Alla Turca: Third Movement

A Little Prelude in Kyuhyun Major

Mozart- Rondo Alla Turca (Third Movement)

Zanzou


"Hmmm."

 

"What?"

 

"Hmmmmmmm."

 

"What?"

 

"Hmmmmmmmmmm."

 

"What?!"

 

"You got laid didn't you?"

 

"What? Where does that even come from?"

 

"It's the only possible answer for you to be in such a good mood to suggest Mozart."

 

"Kyuhyun..."

 

"I make a compelling argument."

 

"Kyuhyun, just play the damn song."

 

"Ugh, fine."

 

Kyuhyun was actually happy to play this song, he had been a fan of Mozart from day one, little six year old Kyuhyun had bluntly told his teacher, who would later tell Yesung, that the best guy out there was Mozart. And still, at seventeen, Kyuhyun sustained his opinion about Mozart, even more convinced that Mozart was the best guy out there. Every one in a while, Yesung would ask him about other composers, which he would find ridiculous excuses to keep Mozart as his favourite. ("Handel clearly had some kind of church complex, or did you never listen to the integrity of The Messiah?" Kyuhyun had announced one day.) He played Mozart with unadulterated enthusiasm, but it didn't mask the mistakes he made. Yesung's trained ear was better than Kyuhyun's profound love for Mozart.  

 

"What is a staccato?"

 

"It's a form of musical articulation, a note played shortly, sharply, crisply, and separated from the one after."

 

Yesung hummed in agreement, despite it all, Kyuhyun was an amazing student, and he knew the theory like no one else, but it didn't make up for the lack of technical experience. Kyuhyun was playing his staccato notes wrongly and it bothered Yesung. He often prided himself for being tolerant of mistakes, but this...this was his pet peeve. He wasn't sure how he would go about it, explaining the honest mistake on Kyuhyun's part without being too harsh.

 

"That's right. Did you notice your definition doesn't say that they're accentuated?"

 

Kyuhyun pondered about it for a second and shook his head, "no, they're not. Did I...?"

 

"Yep, you did," Yesung replied instantly.

 

"So what do you want me to do about it?"

 

He demonstrated, "the point of a staccato, is to make it lighter, sharp and crisp, and light on the piano. You don't bounce off the key, you play it gently, press it quickly without using it as a finger trampoline."

 

Kyuhyun stuck his lower lip out, "what's with the tone?"

 

And of course, this made Yesung sigh. Of course Kyuhyun would pick up the annoyance in his tone, he was frightfully perceptive. He just hoped it wasn't the only thing Kyuhyun had gotten out of his explanation.

 

"Got it, I was never explained this before, not when I actually became capable of playing piano. Your dad told me, early on, but he never went back on that. I'll be careful...but did I just strike one of your most disliked things? You sounded really annoyed, and it's strange because I haven't been particularly exuberant today."

 

"I know, I'm sorry."

 

Kyuhyun didn't respond, instead one of those knowing smiles. It was one of those smiles that downright terrified Yesung. His earlier statement that Kyuhyun was perceptive wasn't untrue, but he couldn't find the words to make it more extreme. Kyuhyun could read a situation to a degree even Yesung couldn't, despite having direct visuals on the said situation. He could read him like an open book, hell, he could read anyone like an open book, and it was slightly terrifying. While Yesung was busy in his head, Kyuhyun had began playing the Rondo again, carefully applying the concept Yesung had just explained to him, choosing to play it at a slower pace. Allegretto was a bit too fast for him to get the staccato trick right.

 

"That's very nice, Kyuhyun, you play the first page very well."

 

"How kind of you," he muttered sarcastically.

 

"It's the issue with A Major again, right?"

 

Kyuhyun had this...problem. He had great difficulty with certain keys, mostly due to the physical position of the sharps and flats on the piano, namely A Major, E Flat Major, C Minor, and F Sharp Minor, although, F Sharp Minor kind of screwed everyone over. Unfortunately for him, the Rondo took an abrupt turn in A Major on the second page, and Kyuhyun had problems with it. The song was also difficult, which definitely didn't help him.

 

He decided there was nothing he could realistically do about it, other than to tell Kyuhyun to practice some more. He chose to move on with something else.

 

"When you play chords, you always want the higher note to be the loudest. The highest note has the melody, recognize the melody and play it as loud and clear as you can, then we can fix it later and make it pretty. For now, just slam those top notes."

 

Kyuhyun nodded and went on, playing it even slower. Despite the small difficulties, he seemed to enjoy himself. Something about him seemed so carefree and relaxed, Yesung envied him. To be able to play, and play so well really made Yesung proud, Kyuhyun was a piece of work, pure determination and stubbornness. These were the moments that really made Yesung want to continue teaching, even if his student was a brat the rest of the time.

 

He continued playing with that lightness, passing the key change and back in the comfortable territory of A minor, without forgetting to play the many sharps of the harmonic and melodic turns the song took. Yesung didn't miss the perfection of those staccatos, and let out a content sigh.

 

"You're doing very well," Yesung assured him, "this song will definitely be ready for the Christmas recital, as long as you keep up the good work on the staccatos, and practice the hard parts in A major. Now, let's talk about your special project."

 

Kyuhyun pulled out the partition he had printed specially for Yesung, as he obviously didn't need one. He took a good look at it, hummed a few times before addressing Kyuhyun. "In terms of technicality, this is a piece of cake compared to what you usually play. That's a good thing because it is in fact hard to sing and play. I had to do it in one of my classes, and it literally took me the entire semester to get it right. How long have you been playing this song?"

 

Kyuhyun shifted and gave him a non committal answer. He seemed suddenly unsettled and it puzzled Yesung to no end. "Did I say something wrong...?" He asked very quietly, feeling like his student's change in mood was his fault, after all, he had asked the question.

 

"Well, Zhou Mi said I should tell you, even though I don't really..." he mumbled the beginning of that sentence, mostly talking to himself more than his teacher, "I play in a band."

 

"Like this, our lessons?"

 

Kyuhyun waved his hand to indicate to Yesung his answer was non sense, it was a rude gesture he grown used to, by force, not choice. "No, like I'm the singer for a band with a few of my friends."

 

"Oh," was his first answer, then, "who's Zhou Mi?"

 

Kyuhyun let out a sigh, showing his frustration to Yesung as he didn't have the natural instinct to roll his eyes. "He takes notes for me. Why do you care?"

 

"I'm just curious, that's all. I've never heard of him before. So you're in a band and that's why you're doing so well playing and singing. What do you normally play? Please tell me you're not ironically playing Stevie Wonder, that would be bad. I have nothing against the guy but seriously, there is a limit of what you can do without it being awfully cliché."

 

He was really starting to get annoyed with Yesung, about him talking about ironically liking things when deep down, Yesung was the biggest dork-loser of them all. "I don't play Stevie Wonder, and if I did it would not be for the sake of irony." He shook his head, "we have a concert coming up soon, if you're interested in going I could get you tickets."

 

"Sure thing, I'll gladly attend, but I will do my duty as your piano teacher and give you honest pointers about your performance. Deal?"

 

Kyuhyun extended his hand, "yeah sure. But don't tell my parents. They already think I'm wasting a lot of my time, they certainly won't want to hear that I rehearse and play in a band instead of studying for my university entrance exams."

 

"I think you're wrong about your parents," he said, shaking his head sadly, "but let's get on with it."

 

Kyuhyun started playing the first measures, going at a medium pace, making sure to play the notes in a nice legato, before the first verse started. And then he began to sing. It honestly left Yesung speechless, seeing Kyuhyun sing so confidently, his voice solid, and hitting the notes, low or high, without any hesitation. He moved onto the chorus, the texture of his voice becoming more and more evident. It was rich, creamy, overall pleasant to the ears in a way Yesung admired. The singing stopped and Kyuhyun played the last few notes, slowing down the last few bars with a nice ritardando. He let the last chord echo by using the pedal while he turned to Yesung, looking shy, and excited, awaiting for his input.

 

"Well," he started, "there's not much for me to say. Why didn't you never mention this? You're wonderful Kyuhyun, you sing better than most of the guys in my class. Why?"

 

Kyuhyun shrugged, "I wasn't sure if I could tell you."

 

"What is that supposed to mean?"

 

"I wasn't sure if I could trust you with this information."

 

Yesung felt a smile bloom on his face, Kyuhyun was just too cute. His grin grew and grew, but his moment was cut short by his student's dry remark. "Stop smiling like an moron," he ordered.

 

Yesung's smile grew even larger. It was so typical of Kyuhyun to get flustered and embarrassed when he revealed something of personal nature, and then to snap at Yesung who unabashedly enjoyed it. "I'm not smiling," he denied weakly, not trying to fool Kyuhyun.

 

"Jesus, Yesung," he snapped, "I'm not stupid, I'm blind, but I can totally tell when you're smiling like a idiot."

 

"That's more like it."

 


A/N

*cue dramatic music* what a plot twist eh? I tried hinting at it a little bit, the Stevie Wonder thing (who I really like btw but I just couldn't find a better way to hint at him being blind and all). This is actually two different fic I started writing, but decided to combine for dramatic effect. I also would like to point out that I have absolutely no idea how to blind people learn new piano songs without seeing the sheet music, so for this fic, let's just say Kyuhyun is incredibly gifted and can learn all the songs by ear. Glad we could get this over with.

So, I should really be studying for my German final that is tomorrow, but screw that, you guys deserved an update. I might not be able to do chapter four, but I will try my best. It's not like I can go anywhere, there's a massive snowstorm that's been going on for like two days and it supposed to stop in like another day or two. Winter is coming...no wait, it's here.

Thanks to everyone who commentend, subscribe, please enjoy this chapter and let me know what you guys think of it.