Little Prelude in C Minor

A Little Prelude in Kyuhyun Major

A/N I'm sorry, I couldn't find a decent link to this song. Just imagine some baroque piano playing (it's actually a harpsichord and that why all the notes are detached but that's another story) they all kinda sound the same anyway by one of the many many Bachs and we can move right to the story



"All I'm saying is, if Bach was so desperate for me to play that trill, he could have written it down instead of those weird illuminati symbols."

"What is this about again?"

"Look at this, I mean seriously, couldn't he have taken the time to write them down? There's plenty of space."

"It's the principle, Kyuhyun."

"The principle of what? Laziness?"

"Kyuhyun..."

"What kind of message does that convey?"

"Just play the damn song, Kyuhyun."

"Ugh, fine."

Kyuhyun didn't seem to enjoy the Baroque era as much as Yesung would've thought. He had told Yesung, a few lessons ago, that the distinct pattern of passing the melody from the right hand to left hand in a repetitive manner was "like sixty-nining, sure it's fun, but it gets old real quick." Yesung really hadn't needed such a graphic analogy to understand his student's annoyance at the piece he had asked him to learn.

"Kyuhyun, restart the last line," he ordered, effectively cutting off the playing of the last measures. "This song is easy, you can play it better than that."

Kyuhyun's face twisted into a pinched expression, one he had yet to have encountered enough to easily understand its meaning. He silently obeyed the command, without a snarky comment. 

That was weird. 

He began played again, before Yesung noticed something strange on the sheet music his student had printed for him. There was a note scribbled on the top corner addressed to him. Kyuhyun couldn't have written that, he was talented, but not that much. He took a closer look and found the answer to all his questions about Kyuhyun strange behavior today.

Yesung ssi, Kyuhyun is having a bad day. Please be understanding in you lesson - Zhou Mi

A bad day? What was that supposed to mean? Were things okay at school, or was he just in a bad mood? Yesung knew he couldn't ask those questions because, well, Kyuhyun was a mystery wrapped in an enigma sprinkled with issues and he simply wouldn't take it well, so Yesung had to get creative. Why would Kyuhyun be having a bad day, but more importantly, how could he make it better?

(He also really wanted to meet this mysterious Zhou Mi, because he was curious and not jealous at all.)

"Do you understand why I'm making you learn this piece?"

Kyuhyun shook his head. 

"It's a warm up piece, something easy that you play before a recital or an exam to show off, and also get used to the feel of the piano before the actual pieces that count."

Kyuhyun nodded along with explanation.

"That means you have to play it like you mean it, and play with minimal mistakes. Can you try that? You're always so confident it should come easily."

Kyuhyun suddenly turned his head sharply in his direction and furrowed his brow. "Are you..." he started hesitantly, "are you coddling me?" His tone was slightly angry, and the corners of his mouth took a sharp turn down.

"What? No," Yesung tried to play it off but Kyuhyun was perceptive and he had a way of getting people to 'fess up anything on their mind with that one expression he currently sported. "You seemed down, I thought I'd be nicer."

"Why do you say that, did you talk to Zhou Mi? I swear, if he's once again not-"

"You were too quiet," Yesung lied, "you were too much like my other students, and lacked your weirdly ual metaphors and snarky comments."

Kyuhyun sighed, suddenly sounding so tired and old. Yesung had always seen it, Kyuhyun was an old soul, he had lived a lot and sometimes had views beyond his age, a side effect of his condition. He covered it up by his inappropriate humor and wit, but times like these showed his true nature, and just how life had treated him.

"Today is a hard day to be alive," he said softly. 

Yesung stayed quiet, not sure to input in his student's despair or remain in silence and have him confide. 

"I forgot what my parents' faces looks like, along with the face of anyone I cherish. I realized that this morning when I woke up."

Yesung patted his back gently, still unsure how to respond, when a crazy thought crossed his mind. "I'm sorry," he said sincerely, "I know there's nothing I can say or do that will change that. But what if you had another way to see them?"

Kyuhyun was suddenly confused, he tilted his head to the side and let out a small huh.

"Your brain must have rerouted by now, maybe that's why you forgot. Have you tries to feel people rather than see them?"

"I'm not sure I follow."

"When you learn music, you used to read sheet music, but now you learn by ear. You wouldn't have been able to play like you do if you still relied on sheet music, so maybe it's the same for people. Maybe you've finally grow independent with your other senses and now all you have to do is find a new way to know people."

"So you're basically saying I should go around touching people's faces," he responded sternly. "Geez, that's not going to be weird at all," he added with great sarcasm, "think I could cop a feel while I'm at it?"

Yesung smiled, there he was...and finally! That snarky son of a with his inappropriate humor, he pretended to hate the idea, but Yesung knew better. He knew that idea wasn't bad, and Kyuhyun didn't find it bad. Wasn't that how it worked in the movies, sensual face touching and impromptu making out? Not that he wanted to make out with Kyuhyun...that thought was...no, it didn't belong to him...he definitely didn't spend time thinking about Kyuhyun's gentle caress of his face, and the possibilities of after...

"So...can I...?" Kyuhyun asked quietly.

"What, do you really think I'd tell you that and then not actually encourage you?" Yesung teased, loving the role reversal. "Of course you can. What do you want me to do? Hold still?"

Kyuhyun's stiffness was evident, expressing the awkwardness he refused to let show on his face. "Make sure I don't poke you in the eye," he chuckled. Yesung saw through it, of course, he was well aware of Kyuhyun's habit of disguising insecurity in humor or sarcasm. 

"Here," he said as he guided Kyuhyun's hand to his cheek.

His fingers glided softly along his cheek and down the side of his face, as he would handling a precious artifact, not daring to press any harder. Goosebumps rose on Yesung's skin where Kyuhyun's fingers had been. He had to remind himself to breathe; this was much more intimate than he had expected. When the fingers ghosted along his throat, Yesung finally couldn't suppress a shiver, he was ticklish there, but he felt like that wasn't the real reason why his body reacted this way. The awkwardness was rising, and Kyuhyun didn't need a working pair of eyes to know that, so he cut his feeling session short. He slowly removed his hands from Yesung's general area and rested them on his lap. 

"You have an abnormally large head hyung." He said solemnly. It was his way of breaking the tension and awkwardness that had filled the room...He also didn't need a pair of working eyes to figure out Yesung was just about to make mince pie out of him. But Yesung was a professional, and letting his student get to him like that was simply unacceptable. He would get his revenge....just not today.

"Back to the song," he said dryly. "Now that you're feeling better, I trust you can play this perfectly on the first try. If not, well we'll have to go for something slower next time...something like Chopin."

 


A/N

I know this is short and it's been...nearly three months but I'm really sorry I'm really busy. I'm actually putting off homework to do this. I'm really sorry I'm at updating regularly. I had another chapter planned instead of this, and I actually wrote it out a lot but then I got stuck and I had no idea how to finish it so I just ignored it. That was a month ago. They were dancing tango, Yesung was doing the splits, there was this line "I am flexible in many, many contexts (and I'd be willing to show you), but seriously my hand cannot stretch that far", it was really great (I am always so proud of the weird comment Kyuhyun makes, I basically write these chapters to make weird ual jokes, and I am aware they're not all funny, I just have a sense of humour and I find them funny). Maybe I can salvage some of it.

Enjoy this chapter, as it will probably (again) be while before I update again (no but serious my literature class), please comment and subscribe and maybe I will update before another 2+ months, (actually that is likely bc finals are in one month so after maybe (if the stress hasn't completely fried my brain) I can write something) now I'm just rambling, I'm going to stop before I embarass myself.