Milonga del Angel

A Little Prelude in Kyuhyun Major

Piazzolla- Milonga del Angel

 

"You were doing so well, why throw it all away?"

 

"What are you talking about now?"

 

"I mean you made me play Mozart, Mozart, but now this."

 

"What, the song?"

 

"Do you even hear yourself? Of course I have a problem with the song. It's like a depressing tango!"

 

"Kyuhyun..."

 

"You have to try really hard to make tango depressing."

 

"Kyuhyun, just play the damn song."

 

"Ugh, fine."

 

Yesung had been on break and had cancelled the lessons in order to prepare for his own exams, but that wonderful stress filled week was over, and so the two musketeers were back to their regular lessons. Yesung didn't mind the teaching, he minded the unnecessary sass. But that was Kyuhyun, and you couldn't take that away. In truths, the lessons would be a tad more boring if he didn't have to deal with Kyuhyun's colourful commentary during their hour at the piano. They had gone over the good and the bad of the recital, and had discussed another upcoming competition Kyuhyun's parents had signed him up for.

 

A break had done Kyuhyun some good, he appeared definitely less stressed out and irritable, but his analogies were as graphic as ever ("I am flexible in many, many contexts, (and I'd be willing to show you) but seriously my hand cannot stretch that far"). He was in a surprising good mood, given the nature of the song. It was another one of those tragic sounding songs, although it wasn't quite on the same level as Chopin. He had a particular opinion about dance compositions, waltz, tango, bourrée, cha-cha, he had played them all, and had decided only the waltz could be reasonably depressing, the rest of them had no place for general gloominess. Of course, it wasn't the case with the current Argentinean Tango Yesung had picked. He had argued with Yesung over this quite a bit.

 

"You know what this lacks? iness."

 

"And why would that be?"

 

Kyuhyun's face reflected his perplex yet slightly annoying state of mind. "In what universe does the blind guy have to tell you that a tango is definitely a y dance."

 

"In this universe I suppose."

 

Kyuhyun sighed deeply, "have you ever seen people dance tango? How can you not see that this is not a song to be depressed to?"

 

"How do you even know what people dance tango looks like," Yesung mumbled. It was an obvious mistake. There were a few rules to the general harmony of their lessons. Kyuhyun never compared Yesung to his father, and Yesung never talked about Kyuhyun's general lack of sight. He had breached that second rule, and he was in for a nasty surprise. Well, it had happened three times before. The first time, Kyuhyun had been downright hostile, he had made it clear that comment wasn't appreciated. Then the second time, he had just been uncooperative, he had given Yesung a choked up expression, then he just stopped talking for the rest of the lesson. And then the third time...well it had ended up with Kyuhyun coping a feel.

 

The silence following Yesung's comment was heavy, there was no way Kyuhyun hadn't heard him, he had the finest hearing of everyone he knew, for obvious reasons. He expression was sour, the corner of his mouth had a downward turn and his brow was crinkled. He seemed displeased, and like he wasn't too sure how to answer to that poke at his disability. It was a slip up, Kyuhyun knew that, but it still poked at something that shouldn't be poked. He had a few options; brush it off, give the silent treatment, which for a blind person was a total cut off of communication, get angry...or actually tell Yesung. He didn't know, maybe it was time for him to know. Zhou Mi had told him that opening up to people wouldn't kill him. Zhou Mi wasn't his therapist, but he was his friend and always had good advice to give him. Maybe he was right, and maybe he should tell Yesung, it was obvious Yesung cared for him and wouldn't use it against him or dismiss it lightly. It was time.

 

"I already told you, I haven't always been blind," Kyuhyun said flatly. His head was turned away from Yesung, trying to detach himself from the situation, thinking it would be easier to talk that way. "It was a car accident, I was ten, I lost my vision. Sure it's been eight years and I forgot some things, but I remember things."

 

Yesung's mouth hung open, that definitely wasn't the reaction he was expecting from Kyuhyun. He had to say something, to...to prove he wasn't completely shocked, to prove that it was fine for Kyuhyun to tell him things again, albeit with a little warning...

 

"Don't bother," Kyuhyun spoke again, "you'll put your foot in your mouth again and that's enough sharing on my part for today. Let's get on with this," he rubbed his hands together and placed them on the piano, starting his left hand with a B minor chord and the tonic D for the right hand. He changed chord for the Dom7 chord of D in the second measure and went on with the song. Yesung had a bit of trouble focusing on his student's playing, he was still shaken by Kyuhyun's earlier declaration. Still, he was a professional, he stopped Kyuhyun quickly after he noticed a mistake, it wasn't something terrible, it was more question of musicality and flow of the song.

 

"When you play on measures 15 and 16, it's okay to split it between your hands, you'll have to change the pedal so you must hold the low F sharp on you left hand, so make sure you keep the legato when you switch hands."

 

Kyuhyun nodded, "from the top?"

 

Their interactions were still a bit flabby, they weren't fitting together as they normally would. Kyuhyun would definitely have said something snarky, but he hadn't and it made Yesung's skin crawl. He feared nothing more than awkwardness, there was always a lot of...uncomfortable tension in his lessons with Kyuhyun, partly brought by his student's lewd comments and occasional flirty vibes, but awkwardness, well that was something even worse. Yesung would fidget, stare at the ceiling, look anywhere but him, and Kyuhyun would be fully aware of Yesung's behaviour and respond to it by standing very still, or playing the piano to fill in the silences.

 

Kyuhyun was playing the song, the tango, and this time, on the second page on the second line, with the sudden arrival of a literal crowd of chords, Yesung heard the problem. It was a very rhythmic passage of the song, requiring distinct notes on the lower octave to be played loudly and perfectly on time. It seemed to Yesung that the whole passage was just flaccid, lacking rhythm and precision. And Yesung had found the perfect way to correct that.

 

"Do you know how to dance?"

 

Kyuhyun face became suddenly unreadable. He then stiffened up and a light blush appeared on his cheeks. "I don't think you're ready to hear that story," he mumbled.

 

Yesung dismissed his comment and lead him to the middle of the room, where there was a bit more space. He took out his phone and searched the song on Youtube, placing it in his pocket and looked at Kyuhyun with a bit of a smug face.

 

"You're smiling stupidly and you're about to make me do something stupid, and I don't like it."

 

Yesung chuckled and took position. He took Kyuhyun's hand and place it on his shoulder, while holding onto the other one. He then pulled him closer with a quick tug at the waist, knowing it was only a matter of seconds before protests arose. "Take a step back with every note of the left hand. It is slightly syncopated, off beat if you will, so watch out. I'll step forward with my right foot first. Get ready."

 

Kyuhyun straightened his back and frowned slightly, taking it as a challenge and desperate to not humiliate himself by tripping over his own feet and bring Yesung down with him. What was Yesung thinking?

 

Well, it had been a good idea, but now Yesung wasn't too sure what he was doing. In theory, this was supposed to be a surefire way to get him to get a hang of the beat, but now, with his hand around his waist and pressed up against him, it didn't seem so great. Kyuhyun seemed to find it great, his usual smirk was back on his face, and he seemed quite comfortable with Yesung in close proximity, but then again Kyuhyun was comfortable with most things he wasn't.

 

"Are we going to do this, or are you just going to stand there and stare at me?"

 

Yesung's jaw dropped a bit but he composed himself and noticed the measures he wanted to practice were approaching. "Ready?"

 

"Are you? In three."

 

They took the first step back with minor stumbling or problems. The second step came and this time he had a bit more difficulty getting his other foot to where it needed to be with Kyuhyun's legs in the way. He apparently had a great difficulty moving, in sync with the beat, which probably also explained the problems he had in the song. They stumbled together before losing the beat completely. "Let's try again. One step per beat, one foot at a time."

 

They started again, the first step came easily, then the second and then the third, things flowed fairly easily until they didn't. Kyuhyhun lost the beat in the third measure. He sighed, and let go of Yesung's waist and balled up his fists.

 

"This is frustrating," he gritted, "I can't get the beat right."

 

"That's why we're practicing," Yesung said gently, feeling the irritation of his student. "You should let me lead, really lead." He then added seeing the scold on Kyuhyun's face, "don't give me that look, I know you're not really letting me lead. Go with the rhythm and don't worry about me, you do your thing."

 

His student was in a grumpy mood, sighing, grumbling, and pouting cutely.

 

"Did I finally find something you're bad at?" Yesung teased.

 

"I'd be much better at another type of tango," he replied casually.

 

"Is that so?" Yesung replied, not seeing it coming from a mile away.

 

"Horizontal tango," he then added with a flirty smile, "you know, the kind."

 

Yesung let out a big sigh, amazed at that he didn't see it coming at all, and at his student's crudeness. He had to ask, it had lasted long enough. "How do you come up with all of this."

 

"Come up with what?"

 

"Those things you say. Why? How? It can't all be true."

 

A wicked smile drew across Kyuhyun's lips, this was going to be good, he knew it. Kyuhyun was going to come up with a description of the most graphic or something that would have him blush for weeks.

 

"I make Zhou Mi read me a novels when he pisses me off," he deadpanned, as if it was the most obvious thing in the entire universe.

 

Yesung let out a sigh a relief, but then realised what Kyuhyun had said. "What?!"

 

"He pretends to hate it, but I know he secretly loves it. He gets all flustered, it's kind of funny."

 

Yesung let the information sink it, he was surprised, and slightly disappointed. He expected some grand story, something more Kyuhyun-like.

 

"You're not ready to hear my counter story," he muttered under his breath.

 

"What?!"

 

Kyuhyun moved along, not acknowledging Yesung's reaction to his previous statement. He didn't need to know, he stated it. It would break his brain. Kyuhyun didn't want to do that just yet. So he moved on, "so are we going to get back to the piano or to dancing?"

 

"Let's try it one more time. Focus on the beat, it's syncopated so it won't be with the time signature."

 

 

So it wasn't perfect, but it ran smoothly enough for Yesung to be satisfied. They sat back down at the piano, and Kyuhyun began playing. He played through it well enough, and the lesson was nearing its end.

 

"Well, for next week get the tempo up and of course the rhythm. You have another competition coming up, right?"

 

Kyuhyun shrugged, "in two months or something."

 

"Well, is there anything in particular you want to play? Not Mozart, it's a competition and he rarely fits in any category. How about this, you find a song and I'll find a song and then we'll compare."

 

It had been a strange lesson, Kyuhyun's behaviour was off, probably due to his earlier comment, but it wasn't just that. There was something else, he wasn't an expert on Kyuhyun's rather closed off emotional spectrum, but there was something... Yesung figured it was best to just ask him about it, because knowing Kyuhyun, he was not likely to tell unless prompted.

 

"Is there something you want to discuss with me?"

 

"Yes," Kyuhyun stated firmly. "I...uuh, well you know the thing we discussed around Christmas?"

 

"About you singing and your secret extracurricular activities?"

 

Kyuhyun nodded, "yes, that. Could you look in my bag? There should be an envelope."

 

"What's in it?"

 

"Tickets. For you."

 

A smile broke out on Yesung's face, he felt something warm and bright fill up his insides, just overwhelming happiness.

 

"Stop smiling stupidly," Kyuhyun snarked at him, but without any real harshness behind his words. The truth was, he too, was smiling stupidly. 


A/N

Hahahaha finals hahahaha I'm dying on the inside hahahaha. I think that sums up my situation nicely and explains why I am at updating. 

So next chapter will be the concert thing, which I really haven't even started or thought about so that will be fun to write. Honestly, I'm not even sure this chapter makes sense, as most of it was supposed to be the previous chapter but I decided to switch things around for fun. So I apologize in advance for continuity errors.

I actually have started writing something else for Kyusung day (is that a thing anymore? I feel like the kyusung tag is dying...), but that day is smack in the middle of my exams so I don't know if I'll be able to finish and/or post it on time. I just wanted to say that I have every intention of making something, it's just a question of when.

Anyway, I don't have much time for updating today (why do I do this to myself) so I'll keep it brief. Thanks for the support and I'll update once finals are done. In a month. Fun. Please comment, subscribe and enjoy.