A Symphonic Non-Date

A Little Prelude in Kyuhyun Major

 

“Well this is odd.”
 

“What?”
 

“We always start talking by the piano.”
 

“So? Does that mean you won’t talk to me because we’re in the subway and not standing by a piano?”
 

“I’m not saying that, I’m just pointing out that that’s always how we start our time together.”
 

“Well, there’s always a first.”
 

“I guess.”


 

This was an important day. It was the Friday before Yesung’s birthday. The gang had planned something incredible. Zhou Mi had convinced his boss to let him use the restaurant he worked at afterhours for the surprise party they had planned. The restaurant closed at 10 pm, so Yesung needed to be busied until they set up the place and got the cake ready.

 

That’s when Kyuhyun part came in, or rather his lovely cousin Seohyun came in. She had offered him a pair of tickets for her upcoming concert. She was the piano soloist for the Seoul Youth Symphonic Orchestra and her group had very sucessfully landed an evening in a large concert hall in a fancy part of town. She had told Kyuhyun it was a formal evening, and that she would after present them to her fairly famous conductor.

 

“How do I look?”

 

“What?”

 

“How do I look?” Kyuhyun asked again in a serious tone.

 

“You look great as always, why?” Yesung answered asked, slightly confused. Of course Kyuhyun looked great, Kyuhyun always looked great because Zhou Mi picked out his clothes for him.

 

“Do you look nice as well? This is an important night, Seohyun told me to dress nicely.” He pat at Yesung’s chest, “are you wearing a tie? You should be,” he told him hurriedly.

 

“Chill Kyu, I will not be embarrassing you in front of your cousin. I know how to dress for the occasion. Stop groping me and let’s get going because we are going to be late.”

 

Kyuhyun removed his hands and fixed his sleeves with mock disdain. “You enjoyed it,” he muttered.

 

Sitting in the subway, Kyuhyun nervously tapped his cane on the floor. Every five minutes he asked the time. Yesung was getting annoyed, he was sure of it, but Yesung didn’t know the whole story. They had to be fairly on time for the recital, but also after the concert for the surprise at the restaurant. Yesung had a tendency to not be punctual, and given that Kyuhyun didn’t see the time, it made him a little nervous. Well, that was for later, they had to get to Seohyun’s concert. It was bound to be enjoyable; Seohyun wouldn’t partake in something that wasn’t the best.

 

“This is our station, Kyu,” Yesung said, tapping him on the shoulder. Kyuhyun grabbed his cane and tapped his way out of the metro door.

 

“Where to?”

 

Yesung gently grabbed Kyuhyun’s elbow and lead him towards a staircase. “This is nice,” he commented.

 

“What?”

 

“This. I’m glad you invited me. I wasn’t expecting it, but I’m really glad you did.”

 

Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow. “Who else would I bring? Zhou Mi?” After a small noise from Yesung, he continued, “look, I love the man, but anything related to music I’d rather bring someone who actually has a chance of enjoying it. Why, are you jealous?”

 

Yesung was caught off guard and made a small choking noise, “yes? I dunno, you always hang out with him, and talk about him, and…”

 

“Look,” Kyuhyun interrupted, “we are friends with non-ual benefits. He studies special education, it really interests him and I happen to have a special brain. I tell him the truth about things and in exchange he cooks and doesn’t move the furniture around. And even though I complain that he’s always around, that he’s annoying and whatnot, he’s a great no bull friend. But no, we don’t sleep together if that’s why you’re beating around the bush.”

 

“That’s not what… Don’t… Kyuhyun!” Yesung spluttered, not knowing how to respond to Kyuhyun’s jab. He gave him a little shoulder shove. “Stop teasing me, there is to be wondered. You’re always together and you live together…”

 

“Yesung,” Kyuhyun told him plainly, “when I think about Zhou Mi my does not get-”

 

“Okay! We’re here! I have the tickets, and here’s the booth, and you are going to stop talking you sick son of a .”

 

Kyuhyun’s cellphone buzzed in his pocket. He handed it to Yesung and asked him to read it. “It’s Seohyun,” he said, “she’s saying she’s wearing a pink flower in her hair, and that you should hurry and get your seat. And that you better not have brought flowers because it isn’t that kind of show.” He slipped the phone in Kyuhyun’s back pocket.

 

They walked in the concert hall and for a minute, Yesung marveled at the size of the auditorium. Seohyun’s orchestra must be incredibly good to be able to afford such a stage. He found the row of seats, and sat down in his seat, while Kyuhyun stood by awkwardly.

 

He tapped his cane between the rows of chairs. “Where do I sit?” he asked, trusting Yesung to make sure he didn’t end up on the floor.

 

“On my face,” Yesung muttered under his breath, and as soon as it left his mouth he regretted it. It must’ve be a slip of the tongue, Freudian even, or Kyuhyun’s influence but he prayed to every deity out there that Kyuhyun hadn’t heard him. Judging by the stunned silence, damn him and his enhanced hearing, he had heard every syllable Yesung had uttered. “Just pretend you didn’t hear that, please,” he whispered almost desperately.

 

“I don’t think I  can,” Kyuhyun replied. He was shocked, but also delighted. “I’m up for though,” he added cheekily.

 

The lights dimmed and Yesung roughly pulled him down to his chair. “I actually hate you,” he muttered.

 

“No you don’t.”

 

“No I don’t,” Yesung said after a short sigh.

 

After a short introduction, the orchestra began playing. Kyuhyun was amazed, he could distinctly hear Seohyun’s playing, it definitely stood out, but also it was in pleasant harmony the orchestra. It was breathtaking, and he was incredibly proud of his cousin. She was quite a few years younger, but she had the talent and the passion to compensate for it and it made him happy. She was incredible. He was feeling that big brother pride.

 

“She’s great,” Yesung whispered.

 

Kyuhyun nodded and just enjoyed the concert. They played all sorts of pieces, popular arrangements and more classical things, and his cousin was the shining beacon of all of them. It made Kyuhyun envious. Of course he’s always wanted to play in an orchestra, but the fact that he couldn’t see made things complicated. He could never be in an orchestra, so he lived vicariously through his cousin. And as long as it stayed at that, it was fine. Kyuhyun didn’t want to get into the specifics of living his life during a jazzy Blues Brothers medley.

 

At the intermission Yesung slipped away to go to the bathroom. Kyuhyun sat at his chair awkwardly until there was a quick tap on his shoulder.

 

“Hey Kyuhyun! It’s Ryeowook.”

 

Kyuhyun frowned, “what are you doing here?” Ryeowook was his friend from university in his musical theory class, his official note taker, and by proxy, his friend. He was annoying and cheeerful, and he brought him coffee sometimes, so it all balanced out.

 

“Geez, no hi how are you? Straight to the fact as always. My uncle is the conductor, so of course I attend the fruit of his hard work. You?”

 

“Seohyun is my cousin,” he answered.

 

Ryeowook slapped his arm dramatically, “you’re joking, right? Seohyun? Well that explains the family resemblance, you’re both incredibly talented, and you both just get straight to the point. She’s great isn’t she?”

 

Kyuhyun frowned even deeper, “you’re not hitting on Seohyun, are you?” It was to be noted that Ryeowook was always seeing people and had already had one pregnancy scare this year. Kyuhyun was on the receiving end of a very distressed phone call that ended in a oh never mind, she just texted me and it was a false alarm.

 

“No, she’s wonderful but no. Come on Kyuhyun, you know me better than that!” Ryeowook hit his arm again. “No but seriously, I’ve got great news. You know how I told you I had applied for a one year study in Austria. And guess what guess what guess what? I got it! I’m going to Vienna next year!”

 

“This is great, congrats. I knew you’d get it,” he smiled. “You lucky bastard, Vienna is a dream, I wish I could go.”

 

And all of the sudden, Yesung was looming over them. From afar, it looked like someone was bothering Kyuhyun, and that was unacceptable. He rushed over but then realized they were engrossed in a pleasant conversation and Kyuhyun wasn’t in distress at all. He just ended up getting a weird look from Kyuhyun’s friend.

 

“Hi?” The man said in a unsure tone but Yesung continued to glare. “Can I help you?”

 

Kyuhyun reached out and pat at Yesung’s arm and hand, “Yesung, this is my friend from musical history. He’s apparently going to Austria next year. Ryeowook this is Yesung, he’s well, I’ve talked about him a lot. Shake hands, get ver the awkward greating out of the way.”

 

After a brief  moment, Ryeowook decided he was friends with Yesung and began chatting with him. “So Yesung, right? Other than Kyuhyun chatting my ears off about you, why do you sound so familiar?”

 

“I go to Seoul U with Kyuhyun?”

 

Ryeowook shook his head, “no no, it’s unrelated to Kyuhyun.”

 

“My dad is has a piano academy?”

 

Ryeowook clapped his hands together loudly, “that’s it. Angry eyebrows, always looks disappointed, the academy down by the river?”

 

Yesung nodded unenthusiatically, “that’s my dad alright.”

 

“My uncle’s the conductor, so I’m sure we’ve somehow met before. We must’ve been to the same party at one point or another. I’ll introduce you after if you want. He can’t take you in this group because you’re not youth anymore, but I’m sure he’ll be more than happy to meet you. I should go back to my seat but it was nice meeting you. Kyu, I’ll see you in class Monday.”

 

The last half of the concert was just as amazing as the first. Seohyun had a nice long solo while the orchestra accompanied her. Overall, it was a beautiful concert that had both Kyuhyun and Yesung feeling amazed and refreshed. They met Seohyun after and she immediately bombarded them with questions about the concert.

 

“It was amazing, Seohyunnie, I’m really proud of you.” Kyuhyun told her.

 

“Thanks Kyuhyun oppa. I’m glad you didn’t buy flowers, that would have been embarrassing. Yesung ssi, how did you enjoy the concert?”

 

“It was wonderful. I am so glad Kyuhyun invited me. You are very talented I hope you continue studying music because a talent like yours would be wasted elsewhere.”

 

She let out a small laugh, “I want to become a doctor, Yesung ssi, but music will always be a hobby of mine.”

 

Yesung was speechless for a moment and went to argue but Kyuhyun stopped him, “don’t waste your breath, I’ve tried to convince her already. She’s as stubborn as she is beautiful,” he added cheekily.

 

She slapped him on the arm gently. “Stop it you, flattery will get you nowhere. Come along, I’ll present you to Conductor Lee. He’s particular and his methods are harsh but his results are amazing. I’m sure he’ll like you.” She led the way and Yesung hooked his arm through Kyuhyun’s anf followed her.

 

After a short introduction, and Conductor Lee regretfully telling them that they were too old to be part of his orchestra, Yesung and Kyuhyun said their goodbyes to Seohyun and left for Yesung’s surprise birthday party, to which he was still oblivious.

 

“What are we doing now?” He asked.

 

“Dunno, I think Zhou Mi wanted to meet up for drinks or something,” Kyuhyun said, the lie easily slipping off of his tongue, “he said to meet up after his shift. What time is it?”

 

“Almost ten. So his restaurant?” Kyuhyun nodded, “alright, follow me,” Yesung took hold of the arm not holding the cane, “we need to go back in the subway.”

 

A short metro ride and cryptic instructions from Kyuhyun, Yesung managed to get them in the right direction to Zhou Mi’s workplace. By this time Yesung knew something was up but he didn’t know why or what was going on. Kyuhyun had that playful smile and wouldn’t say anything about the mystery that was obviously there. Yesung tried asking, but he figured, after Kyuhyun’s third cryptic answer, that he wasn’t about to give any real clue.

 

“Come on, throw me a bone, give me something.”

 

“I’m not going to tell you where we’re going. Just let it go and lead me to the place we’re going,” he snuggled up into Yesung’s shoulder, “this is fun, we should do it more often.”

 

“This is great, Kyuhyun, I’m having the time of my life,” Yesung admitted, “honestly, this concert was wonderful, and now we’re off to do God knows what, but I’m sure it’ll be great. You’re right, we should do this more often. Don’t you have another bar show coming up?”

 

Kyuhyun nodded, “next Thursday. Are you coming?”

 

“Of course, Kyu, of course I’m coming. You know I love hearing you sing.” Yesung stopped them in their tracks, “we’re here. Are you sure this is the place? The lights are out and there’s no open sign.”

 

“That’s the place. Zhou Mi said it wouldn’t look lively, but honestly it all looks the same to me.” He said cheekily. “Let’s go in, he said it was open.”

 

Yesung pulled open the door of the restaurant and walked in while making sure the door didn’t close immediately behind him and Kyuhyun wouldn’t walk face first into the glass. After a moment of silence all the gang popped out and the light yelling surprise! Yesung was shocked, surprised, delighted, confused, he was experiencing all these emotions and just settled for happiness. He was so happy. He smiled brightly as Donghae and Eunhyuk hushered him into the room while everyone else sang him happy birthday.

 

Not fifteen minutes later, everyone was seated with some cake and a drink in hand, while playing pin the donkey - a game suggested by Kyuhyun who jokingly told them to experience the world as he saw it. No surprise to anyone, that damn brat was the best at the game after Siwon told him the tail was supposed to be pinned at bellybutton level. He won all the games.

 

Yesung was having such a nice time. He had all his friends there and he had already spent such a nice evening, he was just bubbling with joy. “Your turn, Yesungie-hyung, pin the tail.”

 

Heechul and Hangeng had given him a pair of eccentric reading glasses, as the ones he currently owned were too many years old and out of style. Donghae and Eunhyuk had given him a dish set, Siwon gave him a nice jacket, Zhou Mi had bought him new phone cases. As for Kyuhyun, he had gotten him a new pair of headphones, because Yesung had been complaining the headphones he used in the practice rooms on the keyboards were not soundproof enough and he could hear the first years messing around playing Heart and Soul over and over and over.

 

Then they brought out a three layered chocolate cake, courtesy of Zhou Mi who was an excellent baker. But Kyuhyun had already told him that and by spending almost half of his time at his friend’s apartment, he had tasted Zhou Mi’s cookies and cakes before.

 

“This is delicious,” Heechul commented. “This is seriously delicious. Like holy .”

 

“Thank you, Heechul-ge, but I find it’s a little dry.” There was a chorus of protest. “Alright, alright,” Zhou Mi said, “it’s pretty damn good.”

 

“More alcohol!” Donghae shouted, getting up to grab wine and beer and handing it out. “Let’s get faced to celebrate Yesung’s birthday!”

 

It must have been near two in the morning when the party died down. The party of four - Donghae, Heechul, who originally roomed together but whose apartment got taken over by their respective boyfriends - left to go sleep, all incredibly drunk. Zhou Mi, who had remained relatively more sober, since he  needed to close up shop and put everything back in order for the next morning’s shift, so he asked Yesung to walk Kyuhyun home.

 

“I am so drunk,” Kyuhyun whispered loudly in Yesung’s neck as they were stumbling up the stairs. Kyuhyun had a habit of announcing his drunkenness whenever he got to that point of intoxication.

 

“I know, I drank just as much as you. I am drunk,” Yesung drunk-whispered back. “Careful, stairs.”

 

“Why can’t there be an elevator? Why did I have to pick...what are you doing,” he said, batting Yesung’s hands away, “what are you doing?”

 

“You’re going to wake the neighbours,” Yesung told him equally as loudly, but still trying to silence Kyuhyun with his hands.

 

They managed to get to the top of the stairs, quite loudly in fact. Kyuhyun tripped three times and bruised his shin and smacked Yesung in the face twice. It was funny to his drunk mind, so much that he started giggling his way down the hall while Yesung struggled to keep the two of them up.

 

“I left my cane in the restaurant,” Kyuhyun declared. “We have to go back,” he turned around and go two steps towards the stairs before Yesung caught his arm.

 

“Zhou Mi will get it for you. He’s much less drunk than we are and those stairs are dangerous. Seriously.” Yesung started digging in Kyuhyun’s backpocket for keys. “Where are your keys?”

 

“In my coat pocket,” Kyuhyun said, pulling them out, “I thought you were just having fun back there. Don’t stop at my expense.” He fiddled with the doorknob trying to fit in the key, but due to his drunken state and his general difficulty with locks, he couldn’t manage to get it open. “Could you unlock…” Yesung was standing very close to him, “I’m drunk and the floor is moving and I can’t see the…”  

 

“I had a really nice evening,” Yesung said in a breathy voice.

 

“Me too. I-I… you… and are you going to do something about it?” Yesung pushed him against the doorframe and kissed him. It was sloppy, a little too teethy, and not really that hot, but it was something, and that something Kyuhyun really enjoyed, and pulled Yesung closer. “I can get behind this idea,” Kyuhyun said and leaned forward to kiss him again. “This could be much better if the angry neighbour wasn’t spying from a crack in her door.”

 

Yesung pulled away quickly and took a look at the door behind him. The old lady was glaring a hole in the back of Yesung’s head. “Yeah,” he ripped the keys out of Kyuhyun’s hand and unlocked the door for him. “I have to… I have to go! Home. I have to go home.”

 

A/N

Magical double update! Next chapter is already up! Hurray for productivity and doing this instead of doing assigned readings!