Sonata in G major: Second Movement

A Little Prelude in Kyuhyun Major

Warning: this chapter contains bad words. 

Beethoven - Sonata in G major no.20

 

"I know I was ing about Chopin, but you didn't have to go to the other extreme to get your point across."

"What exactly is the point I'm trying to get across?"

"Every compositor was ed in the head."

"Huh?"

"Beethoven was insane, Chopin was depressed, and Gerschwin is a twit with a piano. Mozart is the only sane one."

"What about Bach?"

"He had like fifty children."

"Vivaldi?"

"Worked in a house."

"Kyuhyun..."

"Don't even get me started on Tchaikovsky..."

"Kyuhyun, just play the damn song."

"Ugh, fine."

 

The competition had gone quite well, Kyuhyun had played wonderfully and had of course won the first place. It had been a close call, Kyuhyun had a fierce competitor called Seohyun, and who also happened to be his beloved younger cousin. She had played a beautiful rendition of Debussy's Rêverie but didn't play as confidently as Kyuhyun had. And to be fair, everyone was a little bit Chopin biased. His parents had been proud, very proud, and had thanked Yesung multiple times. Yesung hadn't told them about the fiery pits of hell or Satan's butthole, but truth was, he was also very proud of Kyuhyun. He was allowed backstage, coaching Kyuhyun until the very last second, and guided Kyuhyun to the piano bench.

 

They were back this week, and with another song, something fast and cheerful, annoyingly cheerful, much to Kyuhyun's pleasure. They had discussed it before hand and he had already started to learn the song, making Yesung's life much easier. Kyuhyun was a dedicated student.


"Try the part with the triplets once more. It has to flow. Don't play them note too loud it really gets annoying after five measures."


Kyuhyun was halfway through playing those measures before Yesung stopped him and slapped his fingers.

"Are you crazy?!"

"What?"

"You position! Your elbow! Your hands! You're going to give yourself tendinitis!"

"What am I supposed to do?"

"Play with your elbow, don't play with your hands."

 

It was too late, the thing had been said and there was no way to take it back.

 

"You know what, you're right. Here," he placed his elbow on the keys and made a jarring sound, "that is so much better, I can't believe I haven't thought of it before." He continued fooling around on the keys with his elbows, a large smirk on his face. Yesung allowed him a minute of teasing before he stood up positioned Kyuhyun's hands and elbows. Piano was about posture, both for appearance and technique. Certain songs, without the proper posture, could cause serious damage to tendons, permanent and painful damage.

 

"Now play, and push with your elbow, don't articulate your fingers."

Kyuhyun tried and fumbled with his left hand. It was a difficult thing to do, especially if he had to break a habit.

"Try again. This is serious Kyuhyun."

He tried again, doing much better, but not good enough for Yesung. It was a very serious issue and he knew, from experience, that tendinitis was very painful.

"Here, stand up and put your hands on my arm, to know how it's supposed to be."

 

Yesung sat down at the piano bench and waited for Kyuhyun's hands to find their place. One on his elbow, the other on his shoulder. "You have to push with your back and elbow, make your wrist roll rather than moving your fingers."

 

He demonstrated, but it still didn't seem to click in Kyuhyun's head. He racked his brain to find a way to make Kyuhyun understand. "You have to...roll your wrist, push with your back, keep you fingers curved and stiff..."

"What am I doing exactly?"

Yesung blushed, and thanked whatever deity Kyuhyun couldn't see his cheeks redden.

"Are you blushing?"

 

"No!" He said, his voice strained. He felt Kyuhyun's body shake with laughter. He took a deep breath, cleared his throat before he continued. He suddenly realised Kyuhyun was pressed up against his back and seemingly very comfortable. Yesung, on the other hand, was seemingly very uncomfortable.

 

"So are you going to show me or just wait for me to get annoyed and kick you off the bench?"

"Yes! You have to keep your fingers stiff and roll your wrist."

Kyuhyun nodded, "you're asking me to break a habit," he stated. They both knew how hard it was for him to break habits and routine, to adapt to change give his whole lifestyle revolved around stillness of his surroundings. "I'll try my best, but, as much as it pains me to say this, I might have to learn a new song. Isn't your annual Christmas concert coming up?"

They were luckily back in their own spots by that time.

"Try it. We'll talk Christmas after."

 

Kyuhyun wasn't so successful. As talented and as quick he sometimes was, breaking habit was probably the hardest thing for him. Even learning songs came easier for him. What could he say, Kyuhyun was a creature of habit. He had literally sat on the floor when Yesung moved the piano bench one lesson.

 

He tried again and again, but to no avail.

 

"Look, try your hardest and we'll make do. Play the song, try it, but don't hurt yourself. I want to hear the third page, the part where you have that one repeated note."

 

Playing the same note for about three measures was a tricky thing. It didn't sound like it, but it sure was to anyone with the least bit amount of piano ability. How to play the same not over and over and over and over...without it sounding repetitive and boring? The trick was to make a rapid switch in the , switching from the fourth finger to the third, to the second to the thumb, and back to the forth, in a very rapid sequence, these were  sixteenth notes after all, accentuating the first beat of the measure and the second beat. It was a common phenomenon, seen in the famous Für Elise, and probably and bunch of other songs he could not think of at the moment.

 

"Very good," Yesung started, "don't forget to accentuate the first beat."

Kyuhyun repeated the measures, making sure to add a subtle accentuation on the said beat. It wasn't so much an accent as it was stressing it. Music was all about patterns and for a common time signature, meaning there were four quarter notes in measure, the first beat was the loudest, the second beat was soft, the third beat medium, and the last beat softer. It was something they had reviewed recently, and wasn't too hard to pick, it was just a question of remembering it.

 

The practice had been thorough and he decided Kyuhyun could use a break and talk about his plans for the Christmas recital. He asked, and he didn't get the answer he expected.

 

"What do you mean by that?"

"I, huh," he rubbed the back of his neck nervously, "I just, I like singing, and I, huh, I've playing for ten years so another variation of Silent Night isn't appealing to me anymore."

 

By the looks of it, Kyuhyun was bracing himself for rejection. Making such a request must really have meant that he wanted to do it, his normal way to deal with something he didn't want to do was a lot of whining, as seen with Chopin. If Kyuhyun had asked, it must really have meant something to him.

 

"What do you have in mind?"

"Huh?"

 

Yesung patted his shoulder gently, "I'm not against the idea, and you're right, every student I'm teaching is playing a slightly different version of the same ten Christmas song. It's a good idea. So," he squeezed the shoulder, "what do you have in mind?"

 

Kyuhyun bit his lips, "Isn't She Lovely?"

"Isn't that a bit ironic? It is a nice song but I'd prefer something a bit less chord-y and more melodic, I am a classical teacher after  all."

He nodded, "it's a song from a pop-ish band, Zanzou by Flumpool...have you heard of it?"

"No, but that doesn't really matter, what does it sound like, both the piano and the vocals?"

 

The piece started with a few bars of piano solo, obviously meant to be accompanied by other instruments, but the version Kyuhyun had chosen did the job in masking that. The vocal line started rather low, and Yesung was surprised to see Kyuhyun sing so confidently for someone who had seemingly no experience. He stopped after the chorus and turned to Yesung wringing his hands together in his lap. He smiled, seeing Kyuhyun this nervous or on edge was definitely something new, and he liked it. It was a new facet of Kyuhyun that he had never seen, something he learned about his student, that despite the demonic aspects of him, was quite endearing.

 

"Practice it, practice the piano alone, practice the singing alone, practice them together, do not think that picking a pop song will make me go easy on you." Yesung flipped through his notebook and made a note to check out the partition for this piece. "And while we're on the topic of the recital, I want you to play your Chopin and your Beethoven, this one if you can break the habit, the Bagatelle if not. I actually wanted to play a duet with you. What do you think of that? It'll be a Christmas medley, nothing too hard."

 

Kyuhyun pursed his lips, he had never been a fan of Christmas songs, always finding them too religious or cheesy. But if Yesung wanted to play a stupid Christmas medley, he'd go along with it, especially given the fact that he was asking something big and revolutionary. "Send me the audio file, I'll have it memorized by next week."

 

"Good," Yesung declared, "so for next week, have a solid base on your song, keep working on the Sonata, listen to the Christmas song. And I may have found your next song, but we'll work on that next week."

 

This seemed to poke at Kyuhyun's curiosity. "What will it be?"

"I'm not telling, no spoilers."

Kyuhyun let out a little whine, "come on, hyung! Tell me!"

Yesung flat out refused to give into his student's cute act...which would hopefully end soon because it was really working. Kyuhyun had even used the H word: hyung.

"Fine," Kyuhyun conceeded, "just tell me it's not another Chopin."

 


A/N

I'm having trouble with spacing, as you can probably tell. It turns out that one space on my word document equals like five spaces on here. 

I would like to say that playing this song gave me tendinitis, but it still remains one of my favourite songs. 

Anyway, thanks to everyone who subscribed and commented, I'll finish writing chapter three and post it sometimes next week. Please subscribe, comment, and enjoy.