Für Elise

A Little Prelude in Kyuhyun Major

A/N: firstly, if I forgot to edit in all the umlauts, if I happen to have missed one, be aware that  Fuer = Für, secondly, there are a couple bad words like the f-word I think, and some others...look I wrote the word like twice, be warned


 

“So Donghae send a congratulatory card.”

 

“Uh huh.”

 

“And Heechul is throwing a party.”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“And Zhou Mi apparently wrote stuff on a cake.”

 

“Kyuhyun, what are you talking about.

 

“People are celebrating.”

 

“Celebrating what?”

 

“Celebrating my big gay epiphany.”

 

“Kyuhyun, you invited me to help you with your piano.”

 

“I also invited you to make out on the couch.”

 

“Kyuhyun, just play the damn song.”

 

“Ugh, fine.”


 

Yesung had been slightly displeased about the fact that their secret was out, mostly because everyone was making a fuss of it. Eunhyuk had made it a habit of throwing glitter on him. And Donghae had bought Kyuhyun a rainbow colour feather boa. And that was just on Monday. The rest of the week had been similar, but only more irritating.

 

“Do they not realise I’m not gay,” Yesung had declared as he stormed into Kyuhyun’s apartment covered in glitter. He took off his coat and shook it over the carpet. “This better end soon. I am so over this whole coming out bull.”

 

“Hold on, back up a minute. You’re not gay?”

 

“Yeah, I’m bi. I thought you knew?”

 

Kyuhyun shook his head, “well I do now. Do your parents know?”

 

“Yeah. They were surprised at first, a little bit, reluctant to make allusion to it, but they’re cool with it now. You… haven’t told your parents, have you?”

 

Kyuhyun made a whining sound and immediately turned back to the piano. He played the first five notes before Yesung joined him on the bench and kissed his cheek. He continued and played the chords that went with the melody. It was a timeless classic. Some said it was overplayed, and it was, everyone knew the melody, but the rest of the song was a moderately complicated affair. It was technical but it wasn’t impossible. And it was the song everyone aspired to play, and it was another case of every amateur playing the iconic bits thinking themselves as talented as Beethoven himself.

 

“Beethoven will not save you. You need to tell your parents.”

 

“I will. In time.”

 

Yesung scoffed, “that’s a code for I’m not going to tell them until they unfortunately find out by themselves.” Kyuhyun made a face, “don’t give me that look I know you and I know your looks. That looks means you have no plans on telling them. Look, I know your parents and I’m pretty sure they’d be A-Okay with this.”

 

He shook his head again, and played a few chords, completely ignoring Yesung’s commendation. Apparently, the older didn’t take kindly to that. He bumped shoulders with Kyuhyun, and when that didn’t work, he moved Kyuhyun’s arm and sat on his lap facing him and preventing him completely from playing.

 

“Do you have something to tell me?”

 

“You should call your parents. If not now then later. You would feel much better, I know I did.”

 

Kyuhyun whined, and just tried to play Beethoven again. It wasn’t that he didn’t believe Yesung, it was just that he had a different relationship with his parents. The thing was, Yesung wasn’t a complete disappointment to them like Kyuhyun was. And the last thing Kyuhyun wanted was to disappoint them any further.

 

“I’ll talk to them tonight,” he said weakly. “Now distract me.”

 

Yesung smiled and pat Kyuhyun’s head, then ran his hand down to his nape and he played with the short hair at the base of his skull. “A distraction you say.” Kyuhyun leaned in and nosed at Yesung’s neck. “I’m trying to distract you, not the other way around.” But the other paid his comment no heed, and took the skin between his teeth tugging at it lightly. Yesung arched his neck and groaned at the sensation. Sure Kyuhyun couldn’t see what he was doing, but that didn’t mean he didn’t know what he was doing. His mouth worked miracles and all thoughts flew right out of Yesung’s head. He felt Kyuhyun’s hands creep up his back under his shirt and his nails raking lightly over his toned back.

 

Then Kyuhyun pulled back abruptly and pushed Yesung away. Before he could ask what was going on, he heard the jiggling of keys in the doorknob. In a flash, he soothed down Kyuhyun’s disheveled hair and then fixed his own shirt. And just in time, Zhou Mi came in the apartment, and greeted them, as cheerful as ever.

 

“What is it that you are learning now, Kyu?”

 

“Für Elise,” Kyuhyun replied. He was displeased and he wasn’t being distracted.

 

“A classic then. I’m glad you finally play a song that I know. And Yesung, you are giving him your expertly advice?”

 

Yesung gave a short laugh. If Zhou Mi only knew what was about to happen on that very piano bench they were sitting on. “Kyuhyun doesn’t need any of my expert advice, he’s doing fine on his own. How are you?”

 

The small talk lasted for far too long, and Kyuhyun simply zoned out when Yesung got started on niceties to distract Zhou Mi from the fact that they were well on their way to bone-zone had he not interrupted. Damn he had terrible timing.

 

“I’m making supper, are you staying?”

 

Yesung shook his head, “I’ve got an essay to write, I’ll need to head home, right about now, actually. Kyu, I’ll see you tomorrow,” he gave him a quick kiss on the lips, “Zhou Mi, always a pleasure.”

 

Later that night, as he was building up the courage to dial his parents’ phone number, he sent a quickt text that read [ed]. He got a message back two seconds later, which his text to voice assist said was [frowny face, frowny face, rooster, stop sign]. Kyuhyun snorted and send him [damn right].  

 

He pressed the numbers for his parents’ home residence. Two rings in, Kyuhyun considered hanging up, but unfortunately, his mother picked up before he could find the space on the screen to hang up.

 

“My favourite son, how are you?”

 

“I’m good, mom. How are things at home?”

 

He heard her bustling around in the kitchen, as per usual. His mother was a wonderful cook and she always made those amazing homemade meals. “Well, you know how things are at the lab, I cannot tell you much about it,” she worked for a big pharmaceutical company, but she couldn’t talk much about it much, things were either confidential or too complicated for simple people to understand, “but things at home are great. I’m making jiggae, I’ll bring you some the next time I visit.”

 

“How is dad?”

 

He heard her laugh, “well you know how he gets around this time. Exams are coming up with important deadlines, and the stress for his students. Enough about us, how are you? You must have something to say, you never call us on Wednesdays.”

 

Kyuhyun cleared his throat and rubbed his sweaty palms on the material of his pants. “Yeah, yeah I do.” His voice got caught in his throat and his mind went blank. He couldn’t bring himself to do it.

 

“Kyuhyun, is everything alright?”

 

“Yeah mom, I-” He cleared his throat, “I… I have something to tell you. I’m…” he trailed off, not sure how to approach, not sure how to… “mom, I…” The noise from her kitchen had stopped, and the other end of the line had gone very quiet. “Mom, I’m… I’m gay.”

 

The was a beat of silence and then a relieved sigh. He heard his mom exhale loudly again, and then laugh. “Kyuhyun,” she said before taking another deep breath, “Kyuhyun, we’ve know you were interested in boys for a long time. We were just waiting for you to feel comfortable enough to tell us.”

 

“What?”

 

His mom laughed again, “of course Kyuhyun. Is that all you had to tell me? I mean, this is a big day for you and I don’t want to play it down. But really, we’ve known for years.” She continued to giggle, “how many times have I heard you say about an actor sounds hot, or that you wish to get up close and personal with, oh who is it, who is your favourite actor again?”

 

“Alright, alright, I get it mom.” Welp, he felt a hundred pounds lighter, he felt… really really relieved. Yesung had been right, he would feel better. And his mom didn’t even freak out. “What about dad or Ahra?”

 

“Ahra knows, she told me about it, and your dad… I think he has an idea. I’ll talk to him, don’t worry about it,” she told him in a soothing tone. “Before I ask my next question, I need to ask, are you okay? Is everything alright and was that the only thing bothering you?”

 

Kyuhyun replied softly, “yeah mom, I’m fine. I’m glad I’ve told you this.”

 

“Good,” she said cheerfully, “now, the reason you’re calling and telling me this… do you have a boyfriend?”

 

He was speechless for a second or two, and babbled with a few incomprehensible words before he found the right ones to tell his mother, “one step at a time, mom.”

 

“Sure, sure, sunshine, tell me when you’re ready. We're really proud of you.”

 

The next day, when Yesung came over, Kyuhyun had learned almost two thirds of the Für Elise. He was a quick learned. But what stood out the most was his posture. He seemed happy, or lighter, there was something in his shoulders that made Yesung think he was in a good mood. He observed him go through the tedious passage where he had to make playing the same note 96 times sound interesting. He was doing well, but as he got to the next sequence of perpetual arpeggios, he slammed his hands on the keys and turned around.

 

“Hey,” he said with a smile.

 

“Hi, you look… well. How are you?”

 

He shook his head and shut the piano lid. He was done for the moment, something, or rather a very special someone deserved his attention. He stood up and walked over to his boyfriend. “I told my mom,” he said softly, and pressed his lips to Yesung’s, “she said she knew already and she was waiting for me to tell her,” he paused and leaned into his ear to whisper very softly, “you were right.”

 

“You know I love it when you say that,” Yesung replied, wrapping his arms around his boyfriend’s waist and pulling him in. “Are we doing this? Is Zhou Mi going to bust in anytime soon?”

 

“Actually yeah. He’s coming home at noon.”

 

“We have fifteen minutes to make out on the couch.”

 

“What are we waiting for?”

 

Kyuhyun sat him down on the sofa and climbed over him, sitting on his thighs with his legs on either side of Yesung’s. “You’re really bossy.”

 

“We have thirteen minutes left before Zhou Mi gets here, do you really want to psychoanalyse me?” His question was highly rhetoric. He didn’t say anything else, he just pulled at Yesung’s collar and kissed him hungrily. He ran his hand up Yesung’s shirt and pressed his fingertips to his abs. They weren’t exactly abs, but Yesung was working out often enough for the muscles to stand out a little bit and to be truly delightful to the touch. Kyuhyun groaned and let Yesung slip his tongue into past his lips. Apparently Yesung was into being touched by Kyuhyun, but he was more into touching Kyuhyun. He slipped his hands under Kyuhyun shirt and scraped the other’s back with his short nails.

 

“Kyu-ah,” Yesung moaned, “we should stop,” he mumbled mindlessly and almost incoherently. “Your… it’s time.”

 

Kyuhyun ignored him and buried his face into Yesung’s neck. “We have time,” he whispered into the skin.

 

“We don’t,” Yesung groaned. The sound of keys on the doorknob pulled Kyuhyun back to reality. He jumped off of Yesung and fixed up his appearance. In the span of a second, Yesung had fixed his shirt and his hair, and was nonchalantly pretending that  they were having a meaningful conversation and not well on their way to third base.

 

“Yesung, I’m surprised to see you here.

 

“Yeah, Kyu called me in,” he said casually, immediately going for small talk. That way, maybe Zhou Mi wouldn’t notice how flushed his cheeks really were.

 

“You met with Victoria” Kyuhyun said with a sly smile. He couldn’t see him, but he was sure Zhou Mi was blushing. That man could not hide anything, much less his budding relationship with the vice-president of the Chinese Student Association. The choked noise he got in response to that was enough of an answer, and he laughed at his probably blushing roommate.

 

“S-Shut up Kyu!”

 

Kyuhyun burst into laughter again. The joy he felt by bringing his friend discomfort. It wasn’t malicious, Kyuhyun would never actually wish to hurt his roommate, but making people uncomfortable was a small, benign pleasure. People got so… uncomfortable and froze up as soon as they noticed his disability. Honestly, at this point Kyuhyun had stopped wishing for his sight back. Sure, sometimes he wished he could see stuff, experience the view of Seoul at night, the sight of his boyfriend’s backside, his parents’ faces, but he had by now accepted the fact that he was blind for good and he was fine with it. But somehow it made people uncomfortable to see him in a way confident about his condition. “So how was your class?”

 

“Hm, it was fine. The prof droned on and on, I almost fell asleep. How was your morning?”

 

The answer was at the very tip of their tongue, but admitting that twice now they had nearly been caught making out was far too embarrassing. “You know, the usual,” he lied, “practicing. I’ve got class this afternoon I would better get started with my meal. There are leftovers, right?”

 

“Of course, Kyuhyun, I always cook for you.”

 

After a mildly awkward lunch (Zhou Mi and Yesung were always a little bit awkward together) of small talk, Kyuhyun headed to class with Yesung escorting him. With a quick kiss on the lips, he left him to attend class. This class was particularly tedious, the prof wasn’t all that interesting and it was simply useless to him. To do research, he had Zhou Mi and an appointed special needs librarian, so this musicology research methodology class was pointless but definitely mandatory for his degree, so he didwhat had to be done and attended every single painful class. But things could be worse, he had Ryeowook keeping him company and hitting on the cute girl two rows down, occasionally winking when she turned around. Or so Ryeowook told him. However, it seemed like his friend was not in a good mood. He sat down with a heavy sigh and dropped his books loudly on the table.

 

“What’s up?” Kyuhyun asked, a little worried.

 

“Stuff. Can I talk to you after class? Let’s go for coffee or something.”

 

If his friend’s unusually serious demeanour wasn’t enough of an alarm, this cryptic can we talk made the sirens blare. “You knocked up a girl,” Kyuhyun whispered, slapping his arm.

 

“What? No, no Kyuhyun. I’d rather not talk about it during class. Coffee yeah? My treat.”

 

“Sure,” he said slowly, “is coffee a code for something? I’m pretty sure it’s a codeword for . Are you propositioning me? I am happy with my relationship with Yesung.”

 

“Do you have a ?” Ryeowook said too loudly, “Kyuhyun, do you have a ?”

 

Kyuhyun wasn’t one to be embarrassed, but to be questioned about the content of his pants did make his cheek flush, “no,” he snapped.

 

“Then I don’t want to you. Got it? Good, glad we had this discussion.”

 

Apparently, this conversation attracted the attention of the cute girl a couple rows in front, and from what he heard, Ryeowook had given her the finger guns. Gross.

 

The professor walked into class and ordered the students to quiet down, and started his lesson. Kyuhyun pressed play on his recorder, forcing himself to pay attention to completely useless information. It kept his mind off of whatever Ryeowook had to announce.

 

But his mind did wander, about Yesung in tight jeans, and whatever Ryeowook had to tell him. Mostly Yesung, but Ryeowook did occasionally pop up in his mind, but it was mostly about Yesung and his compact but powerful body. And with one slightly dirty thought about Yesung’s , the class ended and everyone was dismissed with a reminder that their essay was due the following class.

 

“Alright, so if you don’t want and you haven’t knocked up anyone, what on Earth could get you to act this serious? Was I just incredibly insensitive and someone in your family has died?”

 

“God no! My mom is doing fine and my dad has kidney stones, but that’s not that big of a deal. Look, we’re almost at the coffee shop, hold your horses until then.”

 

Ryeowook was bringing him to his favourite coffee shop, Kyuhyun recognized the route and the holes in the pavement with his cane. “You wrecked my laptop?”

 

“No,” he replied, completely taken off guard.

 

“You put a mean post-it on my back and humiliated me,” he tried again.

 

“No way Kyuhyun, I’m more mature than that.”

 

“You-”

 

“We’re here,” Ryeowook interrupted loudly. He held the door open for his friend, shaking his head. He spotted a free table and lead Kyuhyun to it. “What do you want?”

 

“The usual.”

 

“Ah, diabetes, okay, I’ll go get that for you,” he said, completely unimpressed. He went over to the counter and the cute barista shot him a flirty smile. But he wasn’t exactly in the mood. He was preoccupied; he had really ed up and without any doubt Kyuhyun would be pissed at him. Hell, it might even ruin their friendship. He was terribly worried.

 

 

Kyuhyun didn’t like change, he didn’t like uncertainty, he didn’t like things to not be exactly as he had planned. He liked to have things figured out and execute them exactly the way they were meant to. Also, Ryeowook had totally done some wrong , forged Kyuhyun’s signature and logged onto his email several times and had impersonated him which was wrong on a whole other level and illegal. He had seriously ed up.

 

“Here you go, enjoy your diabetes at my expense,” Ryeowook sighed as he put down the cup on table.

 

“Cool, thanks. So what is it that you wanted to talk about?”

 

“I did something very wrong and it concerns you. I uh…”

 

When Ryeowook explained him the situation, he took him unexpectedly calmly. He didn’t yell or slap him, or anything. He just sat there, without saying a word, listening carefully to what Ryeowook was telling him. His face was expressionless, which is what worried Ryeowook the most. He was all too still, all to composed. He was so pissed, but it was beyond that, he was feeling…

 

 

No, this was wrong, what Ryeowook had done was wrong.

 

 

“Kyuhyun, I’m sorry I thought I was doing you good but then I realised…”

 

“Stop.”

 

“I’m sorry-”

 

Stop,” he interrupted harshly. “I’m leaving.”

 

“Wait, let me walk you home-”

 

“No. That’s enough.” Kyuhyun stood up and left the coffee shop in a hurry.

 

“Wait! Kyuhyun!”

 

He rushed home, only half  aware of his surroundings. He had to stop twice and ask strangers for directions. Fumbling with his keys, he realised he had forgotten his cane at the coffee shop, but by then it was too late. He almost ran into the table on the way to his room and he completely ignored Zhou Mi’s inquiry about his well being. He almost slammed the door shut and ransacked his desk for his headphones. Too many things were too chaotic in his head, he couldn’t think, he couldn’t breathe, he was…

 

He fumbled to put the headphones on, fumbled again to pressed play. When music finally began to play, things got quieter in his head, and, for a moment, he could pretend that everything was fine.

 

 


A/N

Alright, let's get the apologies out of the way. I know I haven't updated in forever, I'm sorry. I was trying to write a Christmas fic but didn't work out, so I ended up writing another draft that won't see the light of day instead of this. I'm sorry.

I know this chapter is a little bit all over the place, I was having a hard time writing it and I was stuck on it for a really long time and I didn't know what to do with it and how to move the plot forward so this chapter is not exactly to my liking but at this point I don't think it ever will and I don't want to start this mess from scratch. I'm thinking two or three more chapters that will resolve that big cliff hanger and give everyone a totally cheesy happy ending. 

Let me know what you think of this chapter, I am aware it is a little bit so huuuh, please be kind. Writing is hard :(