Chapter 5

Never Forget

“Hey, here.” 

Someone whispered and placed a familiar white notebook on her table as the voice continued, “Thanks for lending me your notebook. I really appreciate it. Oh, I’m Luhan by the way.” 

It was their self-study period where they could either study on their own or in small groups. Usually, the class would be noisy and rowdy but not in Seohyun’s class. Everyone was quiet, though sometimes they would have a short discussion among their small group. 

Seohyun looked up from her book and faced the person at her right side. She got to admit, the person sitting beside her was handsomely cute. His brownish hair covered his forehead until to his eyebrows, which added to his cuteness. At first, she thought that he was younger than her but he’s older. Seohyun knew from gossips spreading around the school. In the corridors, she could hear girls gossiping about him as if they know so much about him. Even though it was just his first day yesterday, a fan club was created in an instant. They didn’t go as crazy as they used to be as they decided not to scare him off and they would want him to settle in the school first. When Seohyun heard about their intentions, she just rolled her eyes and continued walking past those girls. She got some information about him from her two talkative friends as well, who haven’t even seen him yet. 

Seohyun cleared when she realised that he was gazing at her too. Luhan looked down immediately and smiled awkwardly at the floor while scratching a non-existent itch on his nape. She was not used to this kind of situation and she could not just ignore him. Even though she may have a cold aura, she still have manners. “I’m Seo Joohyun, but you can call me Seohyun. And I’m glad that I was able to help you but please pay attention in class next time alright? So, if you don’t need anything else, I would like to return to my book please and thank you.” 

“Ah yes, okay okay..” With that, Seohyun returned to her book while Luhan took out his own book from his bag but every now and then, he would take a quick look at her and admire her beauty. Seohyun did notice his constant glances at her and could not help but to retort while still looking at her book, “What’s so nice about the view outside the window that you just keep looking at it?” 

“Ah I-I’m sorry! Uhm was I disturbing you? I-I’ll focus on my work now..” Luhan stammered and he couldn’t believed that he was caught the second time. ‘Idiot. Idiot. Idiot.’


Ring

It was lunch time for the senior’s schedule. Students started rushing out of the classroom and heading towards the cafeteria. 

“Boo!” 

Seohyun just rolled her eyes to see Chen trying to scare her. She was placing some of her books in her locker when she noticed Chen’s presence not too long ago. “Why are you here Chen? Didn’t you love going to the cafeteria to eat?” As she closed her locker and walked towards the cafeteria with Chen tagging along. 

The latter laughed, “Well yes, but I wanted to talk to you.” Seohyun raised an eyebrow at him. “I’m not confessing my feelings or anything okay? I just wanted to ask about what happened during our study period because I saw someone having a conversation with the new guy!” Chen smirked which made her stop from her tracks. 

“What are you talking about Kim Jongdae?” 

Instead of being scared from her threatening tone, he pinched her cheeks. “Oh you, you’re growing up too fast my lady. Are you finally opening up to boys? I even thought that there were some sparks between you and that Luhan guy.”  The latter scrunched her nose and walked hastily towards the other way, ignoring the grinning guy but he wondered when he realised that she was walking the different direction. 

“Eh wait, where is she going? The cafeteria is the other way.” 


“Why did Chen thought of that? I was trying to create a conversation with the new student..” Seohyun sighed as she grazed her hands lightly on top of the ivory keys. “But why did I do that?” 

She was in one of the Music room after she left Chen at the corridor. She didn’t know why but her heart started beating so fast when she heard about Chen’s comment about the sparks and all. She did not know what it means and what she was feeling. Without thinking about eating, she proceeded in the Music room to calm herself down. Seohyun normally spends most of her free time either in the library or in the Music room. Lucky for her, she was given some of the keys for certain rooms since she is the President of the School Council and the Principal of the school trusts her respectfully. 

She sighed the second time and finally decided to play the piano. Immediately, Seohyun was immersed in her own world and the soothing melody started to fill the room. However, when it starts to get to the peak of the song, she stopped. She tried to compose a song last year but she did not know how to continue the piece. It’s not because she has mental block or something but every time she tried to fit in some chords and notes to the song, it just did not seem right to her. There is something that she thought she lacks. Even though her cousin is a music prodigy, she did not want any help from him as she wanted to impress her parents, especially her father, that she has more potential, rather than stuffing her with pure business work. 

Seohyun was more than glad that her parents extended her so-called day off from any business work until her Final Year Exam ends since it’s the last year of her high school. They wanted her to concentrate on her studies until she graduates so that she can take over her father’s position as the Chief Executive Officer(CEO) of the Korean SEO Company. However, Seohyun believes that she should start where most of the people started, which is at the slightly lower ranking jobs such as being a secretary of the company or working at the logistic department. From this, she would be able to understand how those workers feel when they are striving for their best to perform well in their areas of expertise to be promoted to a higher position in that unit. Not only that, she wants to expand her abilities by learning something new besides business work or academic basis, as this could have a better holistic image for her. 

Both Seohyun's parents were against with her idea but her mother softened and agreed to her opinion when she personally explained to her why she wanted it that way. Despite all of her reasonings and even her mother’s persuasions, her father still insisted that she shouldn’t waste her time. With that, she secretly continued learning the piano from Lay at his house and other things she wished to do. When she was given the apartment for herself during her first high school year, she was beyond happy that she could finally practiced in her own apartment. 

Seohyun was lost in her thoughts until the sound of the bell broke it. Lunch time was over and she has not eaten yet. Fortunately but unfortunately, her next and the last period of the day is Mathematics. She really needs to eat but at the same time, she did not want to be late for her class. Ignoring her rumbling tummy, she rushed off towards her classroom, which was on a 4th floor at the next building. 


“In our previous lesson, we talked about calculus. Now tell me, what are the Derivatives of Trigonometric Functi- Oh, Seohyun! This is very unusual of you, being late. I thought you were absent when I came in the class, which is also quite unlikely of you to do that..” The Mathematics professor was teaching the class when most of his students gasped when they were looking at the door, to see Seohyun who looked quite surprised as well. 

“Well, I’m sure you had some reasons why you were late. Just don’t do that again. But if you’re going to be late, just inform me or your classmates. Alright? You may proceed to your seat.” 

Seohyun bowed as she thanked her professor, “Ah yes. Thank you for your understanding, Professor Ho.” She walked to her seat and the professor continued the lecture. 

As Seohyun sat on her seat while thinking to herself, when she heard someone whispering to her. 

“Uhm are you alright?” It was Luhan. Even though he was trying to focus what their professor was saying, he still took glances at her and checking whether she was okay or not. Noticing that she was not replying, he finally looked at her and asked, filled with concern, “Are you okay?” 

Seohyun looked back at him and nodded. Somehow, she could not pay attention to anyone at that moment. 

“Hey, it’s okay if you can’t focus in class now, maybe something happened that you've become like this. I understand that and it’s the last lesson anyway. I’ll make notes for you if you need one.” 

She was about to decline his offer when he continued, “You can’t say ‘no’ to this! Treat it as a payment when you let me borrow your notebook yesterday. And I’ll treat you a meal later because you seemed to be hungry. Maybe we can talk about what happened later since some people say that you'll feel better when you're pouring out your problems or thoughts to someone who you just met. Don’t say ‘no’, okay? We are just helping each other since we are classmates and friends, right?” Luhan smiled at Seohyun and faced the front to listen to their professor. After a few seconds, he smiled wider when he heard a soft but angelic whisper. 

“Thank you, Luhan."