Contradictions

Cotton Candy

[Contradictions]

 

Taeyeon likes to cuddle at home, all adorable and pouting, but shy away from any public display of physical contact, all awkward and closed up. Squirming slightly whenever Tiffany tries to hold onto her hands.

Taeyeon wakes up in the morning, eyes rubbing, a slight huff and puff to shake off the sleepy haze. And looks up at her with the most precious smile. The ones that curves upwards slightly, but never too much.

Taeyeon is very forgetful. Always losing her way and having to call Tiffany for directions to the minimart. Forgetting to zip up the flyer of her jeans, forgetting to switch the car headlights off. But yet she remembers every single anniversary. The first time they kissed to the first time they held hands. Even the first time Tiffany got jealous over the waitress for trying to flirt with Taeyeon. She wonders if Taeyeon had it all written down, with her kindergarten-esque handwriting of course.

Taeyeon likes being organized. Everything has to be properly arranged in boxes, on shelves, in cabinets. She also likes scribbling illegible notes for Tiffany which looked like "chicken scratching" - in Tiffany's opinion. Words hardly written in a straight line, two short lines easily taking up the entire post it note.

Taeyeon has 3 major dislikes. Pink, shopping and socializing. However, Taeyeon has 3 major likes too. Buying pink presents for Tiffany, whinning nonstop while shopping with Tiffany, being her plus one at parties. Pretending to know the difference between a wine glass and a champagne flute. And also making the fatal mistake of asking for orange soda from the alcohol bar. Oh, and almost getting into a fight with the “dodgy” bartender who tried to ask for Tiffany’s phone number. And that's right, it is that same Kim Taeyeon that stuttered nervously when trying to order pizza via the phone.  

Taeyeon's obsession with Mario Kart Wii exasperated her. Sitting 2 metres away from the TV screen, smashing buttons and furiously turning the plastic steering wheel with the controller and loudly declaring that she had beaten "players all around the world". All in a day's work while wearing her favourite Mickey Mouse pajamas that Tiffany had bought for her.  But when she competes against Tiffany (the self proclaimed gaming greenhorn), something would bound to happen. "Technical problems", "took a wrong turn towards the barriers", “Tiffany’s beginner’s luck”.. She is always second to Tiffany but she doesn't seem bothered at all. And Tiffany knows it's because she loves her more than she loves winning.

On her 25th birthday, Taeyeon told her "I am not getting you anything because you have got more than enough clothes, bags and cute things." But Tiffany knows that she had got up at 5 am that day to clean up the apartment, do the laundry and rearranged their photographs nicely. Woke her up with a peck on her left cheek and a lingering kiss on her lips and made an All American breakfast for her (with kimchi at the side because Ahjummataeng needs some good old Kimchi for every meal). Taeyeon did not give Tiffany anything, but she knows Taeyeon had given her everything she ever needed.

==

As Tiffany lies in bed at 12am, with the snoring girl's right arm slung firmly across her waist, she realizes that she wouldn’t want to have it any other way.