Chapter 7

Fatal Error

A week had passed and Hongbin spent 10 hours each day alongside Youngji before the hospital forced him out. The whole week remained unchanged. Youngji’s breathing remained the same, her heart rate monitor remained unchanged, everything was normal. Over the course of one week, Jaehwan, Sanghyuk, and Wonshik visited him once in a while. They claimed it was to check on Youngji, but Hongbin knew they were all making sure he hadn’t gone insane. One day Chief Hakyeon stopped by to give Hongbin his last check and a box of his stuff. He gave his condolences to Youngji, but he could see how hard it was to let Hongbin go. Hongbin had been his best recruit, the most loyal and well prepared. But he had no choice, and Hongbin knew that. Hakyeon didn’t even take his badge, possibly suggesting his future employment, or maybe that he will always be a part of the NPA.

Hongbin never saw or heard from Taekwoon again, but Hongbin still thought about him a lot. Maybe he was too harsh, but he started all of this. Taekwoon really never meant to hurt anybody, but he did, and that’s what matters right?

Hongbin reached into his pocket and dug out a small black velvet box he took from the apartment. It was the engagement ring he never had a chance to give her. Hongbin looked at Youngji and sighed. He stood up, took the ring out of the box, and knelt down beside her.

“Youngji-ah…” he began, “I know it took me a while, but I need you to know that you are my one and true love. I want to be with you forever, and everything I do, I do it for you. You are my sole purpose in life I want to make you mine. I have been planning this for a long time…and I’m sorry it took me so long.” He said and held up the ring. “Heo Youngji, will you be my other half? Will you share our lasting memories together? Heo Youngji…Will you marry me?” he said. There was no response. Hongbin sighed. “We’ve gone through a lot together…and I just want to give you this before it’s too late. And if you can hear me at all…I need you to know that I love you…”

Hongbin looked at her once more before slipping the ring on her finger. He put the box on the side table and took her hand in his. He kissed her hand again and looked at her face. “Youngji-ah…please come back to me…I need you…” he whispered, then got up and walked closer. He leaned down, and kissed her on the lips.

Then something happened.

Youngji’s eyes started moving. Her hand twitched. Hongbin noticed this immediately and jumped up. “Youngji! Youngji-ah!” he exclaimed. “Nurse! Nurse!” he yelled. He started smiling with hope. Then a nurse came running into the room. “What is it?” she asked. Hongbin turned towards her. “She…She moved!” he exclaimed. The nurse looked skeptically at him. “She moved…are you sure?” she asked. Hongbin eagerly nodded and gestured towards Youngji. The nurse walked over to Youngji and saw her eyes moving. The nurse sighed. “This is normal for a patient, but this is her first response this past week…” Hongbin looked at her. “This is a good sign right?” he asked. The nurse nodded. “Yes, but not guaranteed…” Hongbin looked back to Youngji, now looking unresponsive like normal. Then when Hongbin touched her hand again, a beeping noise erupted. It was coming from the heart rate monitor.

Hongbin looked over at it and his eyes widened. “What’s going on?” he asked. The nurse looked frazzled. “Is that a good thing? Is she waking up?!” he demanded. The nurse ran out of the room, causing Hongbin to stay by Youngji, gripping her hand as the heart rate monitor went crazy. “Youngji! Youngji-ah! Can you hear me? Youngji-ah!” he yelled. Then suddenly a couple doctors came running into the room. They pushed him aside to get to Youngji. Hongbin tried to get through, but he couldn’t see what they were doing. “Nurse!” one of them yelled. “Take him out! Now!” he ordered. The nurse nodded and proceeded in taking Hongbin out of the room. Hongbin protested. “No! Wait what’s happening! I have to be in there! Youngji!” he called out, but the nurse continued to shove him out. When he was out the doorway, the nurse called over to other nurses and they dragged Hongbin away from the room. “Youngji!” he called out. Then, the monotonous beep of the heart rate monitor filled his ears.

He knew what it meant.

It was all over; and all that was left to do was for the doctors to summon a miracle. And he needed one.